Music Downloader Fined $80,000 Per Song

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Man... they are sticking it to her.....

Music Downloader Fined $80,000 Per Song
Jun 19 2009

Jammie Thomas-Rasset, the lady in the high profile illegal music downloading story that was in the news a while back, just had her second federal trial and has been charged with infringing 24 copyrights (for the 24 songs she downloaded). She's to pay $80,000 per song, a total of $1.92 million. Shiiiiiiiiiit.

As for Thomas-Rasset, she appeared shaken by the verdict but didn't blame the jury. "They did their job," she said, "I'm not going to hold it against them." She added, though, that the recording industry would never collect the money. "Good luck trying to get it from me... it's like squeezing blood from a turnip."

The recording industry lawyers, though clearly pleased, had no desire to showboat this one. The massive damage award, which increased from $9,250 per song in the first trial to $80,000, might sounds like a "win," but will probably stoke grassroots anger against the industry's campaign... if the music business tries to collect. There are hints that it might not.

Hey, I want to download stuff and not have to pay for it. Now, let's see what she got:

Vanessa Williams - Save the best for last
Sheryl Crow - Run baby run
Reba McEntire - One honest heart
Janet Jackson - let's wait awhile
Guns n Roses - Welcome to the jungle
Guns n Roses - November rain
Def Leppard - Pour some sugar on me
Bryan Adams - Somebody
Aerosmnith - Cryin
Linkin Park - One step closer
Green Day - Basket case
Goo Goo Dolls - iris
No Doubt - Hella Good
No Doubt - Different people
No Doubt - Bathwater
Sarah McLaughlan - Building a mystery
Sarah McLaughlan - Possession
Gloria Estefan - Rhythm is gonna get you
Gloria Estefan - Here and we are
Gloria Estefan - Coming out of the dark
Journey - Faithfully
Journey - Don't stop believin
Destiny's Child - Bills, bills, bills
Richard Marx - Now and for ever

Wow, worst $2 million playlist EVER.

Sounds like they are trying to use her to scare the rest of the pirate community. I remember reading an article the other day (Don't remember the link) that said that she had been uploading (rather than downloading) to give songs away and that it had been 1700 songs, but to keep it simple they chose to only try to pin her for 24.

This really is rediculous, how can they possibly say that each song cost them $80,000 in losses.

The record industry needs to pull their heads out of their arses and get wit hthe times, I really do wish that they would stop making crap up and look at actual figures.

Is that supposed to be justice? How can they hold this person responsible for all their so called losses? She should only be responsible for her breaches of the law. I estimate it 24 X $2 = $48 plus fines. $80,000 should be for corporate breaches. Fine her something appropriate, not maliciously vindictive. If that's legal, there ought to be a law agin it.

I just downloaded Friday the 13th because Warner is retarded, and gave the DVD owners a ^^^^ DVD. I'm not paying 15 bucks for a bare bones ^^^^ing thing, while the Blu Ray owners get more ^^^^.

Yeah, I'll get a Blu Ray one day...but ^^^^ this pushing us DVD owners out of thes way.

Oh and it was a Blu Ray copy too.

I just downloaded Friday the 13th because Warner is retarded, and gave the DVD owners a ^^^^ DVD. I'm not paying 15 bucks for a bare bones ^^^^ing thing, while the Blu Ray owners get more ^^^^.

Yeah, I'll get a Blu Ray one day...but ^^^^ this pushing us DVD owners out of thes way.

Hurmmm.......you don't have a Bluray yet? Hurmmm....

hook it up ...

Man... they are sticking it to her.....

Hey if you are a pro football player you can get drunk and drive around town and kill someone and get 30 days in jail. :lol

I guess thats not really something, but it should tell you something about our court system. :duh

Sounds like they are trying to use her to scare the rest of the pirate community. I remember reading an article the other day (Don't remember the link) that said that she had been uploading (rather than downloading) to give songs away and that it had been 1700 songs, but to keep it simple they chose to only try to pin her for 24.

This is actually a second trial--originally they were fining her $750 per song but she got a retrial. Honestly, anyone stupid enough to use a crappy P2P service should get caught.

Honestly, anyone stupid enough to use a crappy P2P service should get caught.

Honestly I don't even know what P2P means. Seriously! I really don't. When it comes to computers and downloads I couldn't tell you. However, my issue is, what I posted above. You can just about murder someone and get off the hook or DL a few songs and they will F up your life for good.

What a joke!

I think P2P has something to do with p!tu using the restroom, some kind of slang or something :dunno

This is actually a second trial--originally they were fining her $750 per song but she got a retrial. Honestly, anyone stupid enough to use a crappy P2P service should get caught.

So...what do you use then? :rolleyes:

Dont say Rapidshare, cuz, they only work for music. Movies will take a long time, and a lot of work.

Honestly I don't even know what P2P means. Seriously! I really don't. When it comes to computers and downloads I couldn't tell you. However, my issue is, what I posted above. You can just about murder someone and get off the hook or DL a few songs and they will F up your life for good.

What a joke!

Torrents....

Back