Conan reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
I know the reboot's been talked about in other threads, but they've picked the actor: Roland Kickinger.

Lionsgate and Nu Image/Millennium, the two companies behind the Conan reboot, might have found their new Conan -- and he bears striking similarities to the old Conan.

The companies are in talks with a 41-year-old Austrian actor named Roland Kickinger to play the title role that Arnold Schwarzenegger made famous in the 1982 classic "Conan the Barbarian."

There are more than a few eerie parallels between the personalities.

Like Schwarzenegger, Kickinger is a bodybuilder- turned-actor from the Central European country.

Like the California governor, he also had a role as a T-800 in the "Terminator" franchise (in Warner Bros.' current "Terminator Salvation").

And in a you-can't-make-this-stuff-up turn, Kickinger actually played a Conan-era version of Schwarzenegger in "See Arnold Run," the 2005 A&E biopic about the actor-turned-politician.

Universal’s original "Conan," which vaulted Schwarzenegger to fame and a slew of action tentpoles, follows a man who seeks revenge on the person who sold him into slavery.

Few details on the new pic have been revealed, though the character is expected to be given a polish, with the filmmakers drawing influences from more recent action pics. Shooting will begin in the fall at Avi Lerner’s Bulgaria-based studio. Marcus Nispel, who helmed New Line’s "Friday the 13th" reboot, is set to direct.

No word on whether Arnold will make a cameo -- or on whether Kickinger will run for governor.

https://www.riskybusinessblog.com/2009/06/new-conan-schwarzenegger.html

"Few details on the new pic have been revealed, though the character is expected to be given a polish, with the filmmakers drawing influences from more recent action pics."

The original Conan stories didn't have a lot of action. I hope they don't try and do some ROTS Jedi-type fighting. :banghead

This is one character that could be a great series if done right. There is a ton of source material out there.

Man, those are going to be tough boots to fill. I just can't imagine anyone else in that role. Not that Arnold was a great actor, but his charisma and onscreen presence back then made him a force of nature.

Why a remake though? I know a number of years have passed (and also most people want to forget Destroyer), but can't they just make this a sequel?

He looks the part and if he can act, even better.

There are tons of great original Robert E Howard stories to pull from if done right. Otherwise we just end up with a forgettable Scorpion King clone.

I'm also pleased that the director is apparently Marcus Nispel, who did PATHFINDER. Not many people liked it as well as I did but I loved it: he really tried to go for a Frazetta feel and, of course, thats exactly what Conan needs (imho).

I can't find the old thread where I screamed about Brett Ratner but now I'm happy!

He looks the part and if he can act, even better.

There are tons of great original Robert E Howard stories to pull from if done right. Otherwise we just end up with a forgettable Scorpion King clone.

I'm gonna guess Scorpion King clone... something like this should not be polished. Conan should be gritty and dark. I think they will totally blow this one.

And starting off with an Arnold clone is not a good way to begin IMO.

I am all for that Roland guy taking this roll, as long as its a great fantasy story with solid acting and we still see the Atlantean sword again.

Damn seems like they are rebooting or remaking every single Arnold movie :lol. is he THAT terrible of an actor? :lol

Damn seems like they are rebooting or remaking every single Arnold movie :lol. is he THAT terrible of an actor? :lol

Arnold :rock :rock :rock

I really hope they don't ruin this movie.
The first Conan is awesome, I even enjoyed the second one :D

I hope they keep the same sober and gritty style of these films, instead of making a flashy action film targeted towards children... :(

The only thing Arnies movies lacked where Budget & maybe technology for great SFX
ARNIE RULES!!!!! if done right this could be a good movie

^^^^ rebooting the series!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me Conan The Conqueror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note. :monkey2 no Basil Poledouris:monkey2

The original Conan stories didn't have a lot of action.
uhhh
you're kidding right???? because that is not true

Howard's creation deserves epic treatment. It's motherfvcking Conan for Crom's sake. i fear it will get "three hundreded" with a bunch of slow mo action to a bad rock soundtrack against a video game backdrop.

Back