The case for Sgt. Slaughter and other lesser known Joes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent December

Super Freak
Reaction score
Fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble
Ahem.....The following is an open letter to Sideshow and a personal plea :monkey3

Sideshow, I know you've got a lot of G.I. Joe goodness planned for us. Your character selections thus far have been great albeit, a little heavy on the Cobra side which is a plus or a negative depending on who you ask. I'm even personally glad that we're getting a Crimson Cobra Commander in just a little over a month, who by the way sold out, despite angry outcries of angry collectors who don't seem to see his charm and appeal.

Sideshow, I'm here to present a case for your consideration. Or more explicitly, the case for Sgt. Slaughter and other lesser known Joes. Through your Q & A sessions we have come to find out that A-list characters like Firefly and Beachhead are on the horizon (and hopefully at SDCC 2009) and while I could not be happier with those announcements, I ask you, Sideshow, not to forget the long and varied roster of both Joes and Cobras. Please find it in your hearts to once in a while to throw in Joes that don't seem, at first, to be contenders for the 1/6th scale treatment. Hasbro seems to have a hard time remembering that there's more Joes outside of Snake Eyes and Stormshadow in their character selection, let's not make the same mistake here. I know the artists at Sideshow are also big fans of the G.I. Joe mythology and I would love to see that respect and admiration for the license translated into amazing 1/6 action heroes and villains. Here's a small sample of characters that are perfect examples of what I'm talking about

snowjob.jpg

alpine.jpg

lowlight.jpg

alleyvip.jpg

scrapirn.jpg

And finally in what seems to be the unlikeliest of Joes to be made in 1/6th scale, Sgt. Slaughter - All American Bad-Ass.

joe2s.jpg

I don't know what it would take to make this figure happen or the logistics involved but if any body could pull it off, it's you Sideshow. It's not Hasbro territory to make the characters I've mentioned because they need to sell toys to kids, I get it. But Sideshow has the great opportunity to truly put their mark on the G.I Joe brand with these high end collector oriented pieces. One of the things I loved most about G.I Joe growing up is the variety of people that made up the Joe team, all creeds and colors- let us hope that, that variety rings true to this line. Yo Joe.

gijoe85gu4.png

The only issue I believe is Slaughter's likeness as I think Jakks Pacific owns that.

But I'd certainly buy them all! Alpine in particular is a personal favorite and HIGH on my 1/6 Joe wantlist! Same goes for Lowlight, as the Joes' original sniper he's such a cool character. He's even pretty gruff on the Sunbow cartoon if memory serves.

Not sure. I know they just put out a Sgt. Slaughter figure though so I'm assuming his likeness rights still belong to them until the end of the year at least. Of course I could see him signing with Hasbro again for posterity and with the success of the 25th series (if it makes it past the movie crap). While a weird character he's definitely one I'd love to tackle in 1/6.

Then insert your favorite B and C listers into the pot. I just wanted to get the point across that there's other lesser team member out there.

Okay, in that case... the "generic" '82 originals:

Steeler

Grunt

Breaker

Zap

Clutch

Grand Slam

:lecture

Or, for more "colorful" types I'll start with Barbecue, Mutt/Junkyard and Blowtorch:

barbecue4.jpg

mutt8front.jpg

blowtorch3.jpg

:drool :drool :drool

A couple of Joe-friends and I were just discussing BBQ yesterday. I've always loved the figure and I think he'd be an amazing 1/6 creation!

:drool:drool:drool

A 1/6th barbecue would be friggin amazing!

:nono:nono:nono

I like the Mutt and Junkyard but Sideshow would make me buy a flipping 140$ wall to get Junkyard! booooooo!

:lol Actually, if they're smart they'd just package him with Mutt and make them $120-$140 together. I'd pay that. :lecture

And, yeah, Barbecue owns. :rock

Of course I like Blowtorch too, but his color scheme always made me hungry for hot dogs. :lol

I'd get every one mention in this thread so far, AND some that are not. How about Wet-suit?
And how about a Tunnel Rat Sporting Larry Hamma's Likeness?
As well as GENERAL JOE COLTON.
But Definitely, DEFINITELY Look into Making the Sarge!

Then insert your favorite B and C listers into the pot. I just wanted to get the point across that there's other lesser team member out there.
--

What is the criteria for a "B" and "C" GI JOE RAH character?

Not enough screen time in the cartoon series?

Not enough development/focus in the comic book series?

WELL . . .
below is my short list.

Recondo
Shockwave
Hit & Run
Airtight
Dial-Tone
Quick Kick
Lifeline
Mainframe
Sci-Fi
Law & Order
Low-Light

IMHO . . . the 1986 series of figures was probably the best assortment of characters out of the entire series.

Low light was the man....I still remember the episode where he saved the day because he had been abused as a kid, so he was not afraid of nightmares or something. If they made slaughter (which would rock), the pro would really need some work done.. that ACE workshop body seems like a good option for a custom. Hit and Run would be another good option.

Sgt. Slaughter would be a GREAT idea. Whether you like him or not, Sideshow might be able to tap a new market with a Sgt. Slaughter figure.

The thing to do would be to market it to both GI Joe fans and wrestling fans. I don't like wrestling myself, but a LOT of wrestling fans are toy collectors as well, and Sideshow could make a lot of money doing up high quality figures from both the current WWE era and '80s/'90s WWF classics. The major problem for most of these, of course, is figuring out the body. Not only would we need the muscly arms and chest, but for most of these, the legs as well.

I don't know about other wrestlers (I'd be tempted to buy an '80s Hulk Hogan for nostalgia's sake), but I'd definitely buy a Sgt. Slaughter for my Joes.

I will not buy Sgt. Slaughter for the same reason I wouldn't buy any Cobra-La figures... I'm keeping my JOE ARAH stuff shark-jumping free.

I'd buy Sgt Slaughter, he is gijoe through and through. His rights are owned by wwf/www though and not hasbro.

I don't know what it would take to make this figure happen or the logistics involved but if any body could pull it off, it's you Sideshow. It's not Hasbro territory to make the characters I've mentioned because they need to sell toys to kids, I get it. But Sideshow has the great opportunity to truly put their mark on the G.I Joe brand with these high end collector oriented pieces. One of the things I loved most about G.I Joe growing up is the variety of people that made up the Joe team, all creeds and colors- let us hope that, that variety rings true to this line. Yo Joe.

Not an attack but geez. Sgt slaughter?
Why do uber fans of franchises always ask for the absolutley most obscure or least popular/viable items? I PRAY that companies wake up and not cave to the fringe uber fans.

Ya want Slaughter? Wait till about 50 other joes come out that would all sell out before the line gets destroyed by a non seller. Or they can make it today as a con exclusive and charge both fans that want it 200- a pop...still want it?

Back