Michael Mann's "Public Enemies"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a test screening of this back in October and I must say, I didn't enjoy it. It felt REALLY long and needed a LOT of editing. Never though a Depp/Bale movie could be boring, but this was. REALLY hope that Mann edited the hell out of the film. The cut I saw was about 3 hours long.

Mann has a penchant for making overly long movies with too much still air. It's the rap on him. If I were a Studio Exec, given his B.O. track record, I would limit the budget and contract him to bring it in under 2 hours. I hope the Studio cracked down on him this time. It seems from this article, that's what he's doing. Cutting more.

Mann is his own worst Public Enemy.

Mann has a penchant for making overly long movies with too much still air. It's the rap on him. If I were a Studio Exec, given his B.O. track record, I would limit the budget and contract him to bring it in under 2 hours. I hope the Studio cracked down on him this time. It seems from this article, that's what he's doing. Cutting more.

Mann is his own worst Public Enemy.

Yea, I think it would be an awesome film if they cut a WHOLE bunch out. From the beginning, I thought it was going to be a cat/mouse game between Dillinger and Bale, but I don't think they ever had a scene together the entire film (even at the end). If they just centered around them, it would run so much smoother.

They literally spent 20 minutes on how Dillinger's Girlfriend interacted with her coworkers, before she even met Dillinger. Stuff like that just wasn't relevant to the story....and it was boring as hell. I hope he cuts all that crap out.

2 hrs 23 is typical Mann time... which is Not good, fewer plays per screen per day. Should be under 2. Mann fights with Studio heads all the time about pacing issues, always pleading he needs it for Character, but his Character developing scenes are laborious and end up dragging the Film -- he's such a dialogue wanker.

So here we go again. I heard the Budget on this was 100M. Beats giving the Guy 130 and not breaking 100 Domestic. I'm still psyched to see it. Always been a Mann fan actually. Just wished he did it better. There's always DVD for extra scenes nobody cares about.

2 hrs 23 is typical Mann time... which is Not good, fewer plays per screen per day. Should be under 2. Mann fights with Studio heads all the time about pacing issues, always pleading he needs it for Character, but his Character developing scenes are laborious and end up dragging the Film -- he's such a dialogue wanker.

So here we go again. I heard the Budget on this was 100M. Beats giving the Guy 130 and not breaking 100 Domestic. I'm still psyched to see it. Always been a Mann fan actually. Just wished he did it better. There's always DVD for extra scenes nobody cares about.

Going to be a 3 discer then :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I've heard nothing but horrible things about this from all the early screenings. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but my expectations are considerably lower than when production began.

I have yet to watch any of the Summer "blockbuster" films, but I will go out of my way to see this one when it finally hits.

From the trailer I've seen so far, it's pretty much a glamorous/stylized version of the "facts" given the Mann treatment.

Reminds me of the original "Dilinger" film with Warren Oates. Granted, that film had flaws, but I like the period atmosphere and characterizations from that film. I still view when it comes on cable tv every now and then.

Back