Monster Squad Remake....?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
makeitstop.jpg

This is one movie that I would be down for a remake. I went back and watched this and was horrified that I actually enjoyed it. One movie that just didn't hold up for me. If they do it right I think it may be cool.

I love the original...it's one of my all time favorites & it's a cult classic. It isn't one of those movies that's on my short-list of movies that should never be remade. I'd be OK with a remake if the script is updated properly and has more substance.

The original is one of those films that I know I liked at one point but upon rewatching don't remember why. Hopefully it'll lead to another Sideshow trivia question for Spooktacular in 2010 or 2011 because that is all the first one is good for at this point.

Problem is kids aren't into monsters nowadays like they were then. And making the remake to be set in the past probably wouldn't work either. I'm not sure this is a good idea at all. But with all remakes, at least the originals don't disapear. We will always have the originals despite horirble remakes of them.

See I disagree. I think the reason that kids aren't into monsters as much as they once were is because Hollywood is catering to kids or radically screwing the pooch on them. For example you either get cuddly, warm versions in cartoons or buddy movies aimed directly at kids which really has no real effect or you get things like Van Helsing where they are molested beyond belief.

What made them likable to kids is just like what made the 80s Slasher characters likable, its the fact that they films were made for demographics (teens, young adults) and it was one of those things where you weren't supposed to watch it and so you got really into it when you did.

I would argue that in the past 10 years maybe slightly longer there hasn't been a really good film that spotlit any of the classic monsters, remake or otherwise...that is a whole generation lost.

This film won't spark it I guarantee it but its a medium that could be as popular as ever if treated right.

You laugh but before the remakes that begun not too long back I wouldn't have been surprised if someone pitched a film that tried to contain Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, Children of the Corn, Pinhead, Chucky and a couple of the Lost Boys all going up against a Gooniesesque group of youngsters.

Im talking classic 80's horror, the stuff I grew up watching. not classic, well all other stuff. I can appreciate where your coming from but this stuff just isnt made the same anymore, when they try to it just comes off fake and overdone imo. Im not saying they couldnt make a great film of something "like" Monster Squad, but why call it a remake of it?

Im talking classic 80's horror, the stuff I grew up watching. not classic, well all other stuff. I can appreciate where your coming from but this stuff just isnt made the same anymore, when they try to it just comes off fake and overdone imo. Im not saying they couldnt make a great film of something "like" Monster Squad, but why call it a remake of it?

They shouldn't remake it because you grew up liking it?

It was made for your demo then and it's being remade, in part, for your demo now. These things come in 20 year cycles of nostalgia. In the 70s they looked back at the 50s, Happy Days, American Graffiti, 80s the 60s, 90s the 70s, now it's the 80s turn, next up is 90s and then the good ol' 2000s. I wonder what goofy formula crap kids are seeing now that they will deem "classic" when it's remade in 20 years?

I don't recall watching the original. However, a remake or reboot is always something I can handle if its done right. Thats why with things like Freddy and Jason I want them to be scary as hell. I want them to scare me when I'm watching and they need to be somewhat violent based on their characters. I mean these guys scared me as a kid with how they originally came out, but to do that now they need to get serious.

As far as losing kids to the monster genre its true what Mike said IMO. You've got a group of kids that the only type of monsters they've seen are the cute friendly ones. I want to know what happened to the ones that scared the crap out of you and once they did ate you for breakfast? Bring that ^^^^ back. :rock

The only thing i remember about this movie clearly, was watching the "fat kid" and the bully from The Wonder Years eat the Snickers bar after it was stepped on. lol

See I disagree. I think the reason that kids aren't into monsters as much as they once were is because Hollywood is catering to kids or radically screwing the pooch on them. For example you either get cuddly, warm versions in cartoons or buddy movies aimed directly at kids which really has no real effect or you get things like Van Helsing where they are molested beyond belief.

What made them likable to kids is just like what made the 80s Slasher characters likable, its the fact that they films were made for demographics (teens, young adults) and it was one of those things where you weren't supposed to watch it and so you got really into it when you did.

I would agree with that, and I will add my 2 cents:

IMO, the reason kids are less into monster movies stems from the fact that "realism" has sunk its teeth deep into Hollywood. Everything has to look real, feel real, and for all intents and purposes be real. Generally that is a good thing because it spawns movies like Spider-man, Batman, X-men...and the like.

The problem is, teens today grew up in the "realism" phase of Hollywood and because of that were only exposed to the cute cuddly monsters because the realistic monster movies were a little to mature for them. Back in the hayday of monster movies the effects were bad enough that they were entertaining but lacked just enough realism to be "scary". Even if they were frightening, they werent so much so that they scared young viewers away.

Another potential reason for the loss of Monster Mania is science. Kids today are growing up in a more analytical and explanation driven time. Everything has an explanation, so kids want an explanation for everything. Makes classical supernatural monsters a little less interesting. Just as an example lets look at Vampires. Back in the 50s they were always just "supernatural". Look at vampire movies today. I would wager that >60% play off vampirism as a scientifically explainable transferable disease and thier weaknesses explained as sever allergic reactions. Magic is slowly dying....

some movies just shouldnt be touched in my own opinion, horror or not, sum classics should be left well alone..whats next hollywood, remaking the lost boys? the goonies.~ ? damn.

Back