Hasbro is doing their best to kill the G.I. JOE brand

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sadly, after this Summer the future of G.I. JOE will strictly be relegated to "cult" status and only Sideshow's 1/6 line and IDW's comic series will likely carry the torch.

Why? Because Hasbro is hitching all of their wagons to the god damned movie travesty. They're even hinting that the future of their JOE toy lines will depend on the success of this POS and its toy tie-ins. Are they really that clueless and stupid? Apparently, yes.

Just read the answers from their previous Q&As:

https://www.generalsjoes.com/qanda.html

I only read about 1/3 of them before I started having a migraine. :duh

Can't wait to tell how ridiculous they are and how they're slaughtering the golden goose at SDCC.

I'm not surprised at all. I mean, the moment they said that they were putting the 25th ann. line "on hold" I knew that it would be a couple of years before Hasbro got back to basics with the Joe line. I don't think one stupid ass movie will ruin the Joe line in the long run though.

I'm not a GI Joe fan, but when I saw the trailer before Star Trek even I thought it looked horrible to be GI Joe.

Well, I'm not trying to defend the movie; I think it looks mighty craptacular as well, but people were saying similar things about Transformers ('This will kill the line,' etc.) and that turned into a cash-cow for Hasbro and they still gave us Classics as well as Animated (which was heavily influenced by original Transformers in character choices and designs). Now does that mean Rise of Cobra will give Joe a shot in the arm? Hard to say. But I doubt this movie, if it tanks, will kill G.I.Joe. And if it does, it won't last. Other than Transformers, Joe is one of the most recognizeable toy brands here in the States and I maintain that it will either not be gone for long if the movie tanks or it will take off into other incarnations if it makes money. And really, with everyone having less money to throw around I can use a break in the 25th Anniversary line anyway.

I think Hasbro's just banking on Joe turning into a hit like Transformers did. Whether or not this is a good choice remains to be seen.

Granted, transformers did not fail like alot of people said it would.

But Michael bay did not make Starscream Go evil becuase optimus prime left him at the alter either.

I hope the movie is at least a small sucess simply so Hasbro will continue producing Joe figures. They hinted in they're Q&A that they may very well include some Resolute figures in the ROC line. If the movie and ROC toy line bomb, I hope Hasbro can at least squeeze out their Resoute Snake Eyes and Scarlett. Still I doubt Hasbro will completely discontiue GI Joe but if the move and ROC toys fail, it might mean the only figures we'll see for awhile are repaints.

I say we pool our money and buy the license.

Wait until after the movie, it will be much cheaper. :lol

The man has a point.

You'll never believe how much Josh Blaylock (Devil's Due) paid for the JOE comics license the last time the brand was considered "dead". Let's just say that some people here have single collectibles that cost more. :google

Dunno why movie industry deems it fit to totally destroy almost all beloved and recognizable about a franchise in order to make a movie.

-the power suits?????
-the goofy gi joe emblazoned camo?????

part of what made joe great was the different and interesting looking characters, and now, much like the xmen, those were jettisoned a long time ago.

Thats just ^^^^ing stupid...does 'ripcord' look like anything interesting at all?
Sheesh, roadblock doesnt even look cool and thats hard to mess up.
Stormshadow looks 'metro'...destro, dont get me started...well, at least baroness looks hot...

WHAT IF?

WHAT IF?

WHAT IF?

The film ends up being like . . . TRANSFORMERS?

How many will end up eating crow?

OR . . .

Does it mean HELL froze over?

I have zero hopes for the film. People will be proven right OR wrong when the film comes out.

WHAT IF?

WHAT IF?

WHAT IF?

The film ends up being like . . . TRANSFORMERS?

How many will end up eating crow?

OR . . .

Does it mean HELL froze over?

I have zero hopes for the film. People will be proven right OR wrong when the film comes out.

You know, TRANSFORMERS really isn't all that great either. If it weren't for Michael Bay's technical competency as a director, ILM's FX, Shia's charisma, and Megan Fox's hotness that film would be pretty balls.

That said, G.I. JOE has almost no chance of being as good as TRANSFORMERS.

You know, TRANSFORMERS really isn't all that great either. If it weren't for Michael Bay's technical competency as a director, ILM's FX, Shia's charisma, and Megan Fox's hotness that film would be pretty balls.

That said, G.I. JOE has almost no chance of being as good as TRANSFORMERS.

Don't forget Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime. He's what holds that first film together imo. You remove Cullen from the equation and I'm not sure that movie would even be watchable.

Yeah, he's definitely one of the bright spots for sure.

And, look, I'm not bashing TRANSFORMERS. It's fun (if dumb) and I actually like it for the most part. But it's apparently been elevated to some kind of mythic masterpiece status by some people. I don't get it. There is a lot that is not great about it.

Incidentally, if that's the best that this G.I. JOE ever had to strive for then that tells us everything right there.

Transformers is at least on par with Return of the Jedi.

Both from beloved franchises but if you remove one very important voice from each film (Peter Cullen/James Earl Jones), some eye candy (Slave Leia/Megan Fox) and all of ILM's work then both movies kind of suck. :D

Back