PDA

View Full Version : CUSTOM URUK-HAI

shovelchop81
06-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I just got some bits in the post today to start my custom Uruk-Hai, I haven't seen any one else do one yet on this section so I thought I might as well start a thread in case any one else was interested in making one since it doesn't look like SS will bring one out. I'm at ground zero in the build as you'll see in the pick but you gotta start some where!

dwing
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Great start.

shovelchop81
06-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Great start.

Thanks! just thought I'd chuck these pics on as a guide, bare in mind I'm not going the £60 muscle body route at the moment, more of a "what have i got for free lying around the house?" route. if this fails i can always try the expensive way but the muscle bodies I've seen are all too short anyway. So far it's a complete Frankenstein's monster build! I've got a Toy Biz Legolas Torso as it's quite long and fits the armour well (and it's free in the house etc...), the legs are off a snow-trooper body and seem to cover the knee joints quite well with out compromising articulation as the rubber muscle ones do, the arms are from a Hasbro Anakin episode IV special edition figure (I used his torso in my Vader build) so the arms were just lying around which is useful as they are quite long, show no joints and have a bit of muscle on them. All these parts mated together and he's 13" tall which is about right scale wise
Anyway loads more to do i.e making clothes, real hair, painting and all that fun stuff.

carbo-fation
06-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Would you be interested in making more of these?

shovelchop81
06-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Would you be interested in making more of these?

I don't see why not, I'd need to pick up some casting materials. would you be interested in finished ones (I'm thinking of making a couple of variations for my self such as examples shown in the attached pics anyway) or would you just be interested in cast parts? i remember you liked my Gimli and that's the level of quality I'm going for, or better:bounce

carbo-fation
06-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Preferably a finished one since I wouldn't know how to finish this myself. The orcs and Uru-khai look great in your pictures. Are they all 1/6 scale?

shovelchop81
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Preferably a finished one since I wouldn't know how to finish this myself. The orcs and Uru-khai look great in your pictures. Are they all 1/6 scale?

I wish! no mate they're the 7" Toy Biz ones, I was just showing them as reference to what i plan to do 1/6 scale.

dwing
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd be interested. I have a few big bodies(wrestlers) I might use.

superdoug
06-14-2009, 05:26 PM
i'd be intrested too. it looks great so far

shovelchop81
06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
thanks for the interest,I'll have to make some plaster formers from the vinyl first and see how the casts in resin come out. I'll keep you up dated as things progress.:)

shovelchop81
06-16-2009, 01:28 AM
another couple of parts i forgot to show in the previous pics.

shovelchop81
06-19-2009, 02:45 AM
I'd be interested. I have a few big bodies(wrestlers) I might use.

i liked your idea of using wrestler figures so i picked up a Triple H today, looks like it could work with some minor grinding, will work great as a second Uruk-hai for me as it will give a bit of individuality to them. CHEERS FOR THE IDEA!

P.S. I've ordered all the molding materials locally so should have them in a day or two.

jason2885
06-19-2009, 06:20 PM
thanks for the interest,I'll have to make some plaster formers from the vinyl first and see how the casts in resin come out. I'll keep you up dated as things progress.:)
I would be interested in getting some Urk parts if you made them available.

shovelchop81
06-20-2009, 03:38 AM
I would be interested in getting some Urk parts if you made them available.

no probs, i'll pm you with pics of the casts once they're done.

shovelchop81
10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Well what feels like years later, I actually got around to finishing him! Still got the bow, quiver and arrows to go, will post pics when they're done. Sorry to all who wanted casts but because the parts are vinyl casting them is a four part proses so looses a lot of detail not to mention very time consuming, I did a few heads but they weren't great. Anyway I hope you like the figure. The hips turned out a bit narrow but I only noticed after I'd finished (forest for trees and all that LOL).

If any one's interested, more pics and the how I did it linkhttp://news.webshots.com/album/575250251cCxbHy?vhost=news

shovelchop81
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
A couple of pics of him a bit less anorexic

ProgMatinee
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
i think you got some good talent, unfortunately I think he looks like a midget in certain ways. the head and hands are distractingly too big.

shovelchop81
10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
hmm...perhaps it's the way I took the pics, but bear in mind he has a lot of hair tied in a top knot and there is white clay (paint) smeared on it which will make his face look longer. as far as the hands go they're probably a little large but they're also wrapped in leather with knuckle/wrist armour. Here are some more pics that might explain (that I'm a lousy photographer amongst other things!). see what you think.

El Skutto
10-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Looks pretty darn good. I'm particularly impressed with the outfit and head you created from scratch. :clap

Progmatinee is correct, though. It's not the photos, it's the scale of the body versus the head and hands. If you look at the Lurtz PF, he's built like a bodybuilder, with massive shoulders and tree trunks for legs. The body you used is a little too small, making it almost look like a Mego.

I'd recommend simply painting up a larger, more muscular body and transferring over your head, hands, outfit and accessories. I'd suggest using the body DCDirect uses for it's 13-inch superhero figures.

Just some constructive criticism. The other benefit is that Lurtz would then tower over the human figures by about an inch, which would also make sense when comparing to the characters' on screen appearance.

shovelchop81
10-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Good idea, now to try and find a cheap dc direct body, might nick my Batman's.

El Skutto
10-29-2009, 06:16 AM
You could always use the body from one of those el-cheapo GI Joe 12-inchers you can buy carded for like $12 at most toy stores. The bodies are typically more muscular than a True Type, Prometheus or Buck, and the cost is negligible. You wouldn't get the extra height that the DCD body would give you, but it's a much cheaper alternative.

ProgMatinee
10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
how about one of those 12" WWE figures?

El Skutto
10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Good call. That'd probably work quite well.

shovelchop81
10-29-2009, 09:36 AM
You could always use the body from one of those el-cheapo GI Joe 12-inchers you can buy carded for like $12 at most toy stores. The bodies are typically more muscular than a True Type, Prometheus or Buck, and the cost is negligible. You wouldn't get the extra height that the DCD body would give you, but it's a much cheaper alternative.

Thanks for the idea but I already tried that, in fact the legs on the body are from an old Snow trooper as they didn't show the joints (much). The arms are from a Hasbro Ep III Anakin and the torso's from a DID Legolas. Anyway I've already stripped the DC Batman body, painted it and chopped the feet off! I'll be using the Uruk-Hai's previous body for Batman as he was too beefy anyway, it'll just mean adjusting the armour to fit, new head and hand/foot posts; no biggie. Cheers everybody for your advice! I'll post some pics when he's done, drying at the mo.:chew

shovelchop81
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
how about one of those 12" WWE figures?

Tried that too as I'm using one for an SG Atlantis Wraith Drone at the mo but too muscular to refit the armour, I'd have to start from scratch. I have to do loads of mods with the DC body as it is but thanks for the idea. Ironically I had bought one for this project and swiped it for the Wraith Drone:slap

Added a pic of the 3 bodies, from left to right:WWE, DC Direct, Hasbro mix. I'll sort out the neck issue with the DC, the head's just been placed there for scale.

shovelchop81
11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Finished the body swap which was more of a rebuild and made his bow, quiver and arrows. He's much more in proportion now so thanks guys for spotting that! When you look at something day in day out I guess you can lose perspective, literally in this case.:pow The last pic is of the actual Lurtz used in the movie, not copies or interpretations like SS's PF.

El Skutto
11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Finished the body swap which was more of a rebuild and made his bow, quiver and arrows. He's much more in proportion now so thanks guys for spotting that! When you look at something day in day out I guess you can lose perspective, literally in this case.:pow The last pic is of the actual Lurtz used in the movie, not copies or interpretations like SS's PF.

It looks 100 times better now, as the body and limb proportions look to be appropriately scaled. Well done! :clap

shovelchop81
11-03-2009, 07:39 AM
It looks 100 times better now, as the body and limb proportions look to be appropriately scaled. Well done! :clap

Thanks!:banana

dwing
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Great body swap-looks great.

ProgMatinee
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
much better, nice job!

pixletwin
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Agreed. Looks about 1000% better now. Good work. :rock

shovelchop81
11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks guys! conveniently my DCD Batman looks a lot better with the other body!LOL.