PDA

View Full Version : A GREAT Interpretation of Beach Head

Blu Falcon
06-12-2009, 07:57 AM
This is NOT mine, but I just had to share another incredible Golgo-013 Joe bash with you all.

The entire series can be seen here...

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118738

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/GI_JOE/BEACHHEAD/DSC00360.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/GI_JOE/BEACHHEAD/DSC00271.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/GI_JOE/BEACHHEAD/DSC00395.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/GI_JOE/BEACHHEAD/DSC00369.jpg

Sixthscalemagazine
06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
that one is awesome but i prefer this one...

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=830952&postcount=19

King Darkness
06-12-2009, 08:33 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!

Silent December
06-12-2009, 08:36 AM
those are both a boxful of awesome!

The ill Jedi
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Simple, yet amazing customs!! :clap

Deeznutz6
06-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Take note Sideshow

Shai
06-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Beach head has more intense eyes than this.

the 2nd one posted is the best

karamazov80
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Nice, but I agree that the other figure posted from OSW is nicer. My personal favorite is Mando's, though:

http://meanwhilebackathq.blogspot.com/2008/11/ranger-codename-beachhead.html

Cocoboloboy
06-12-2009, 09:36 AM
They all look good. Mando's reminds me more of the original figure than the other two though.

galactiboy
06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
All are great, my preference would be for the 2nd one as he's a bit more intense looking... and the weathering adds a lot.

Mando's probably the most fun as its very much in the original style... I'd love to see a huge group shot of his figures :rock

Khev
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice customs but I think in 1/6 scale Beach Head will look better with a sculpted mask like SSC did with Storm Shadow.

Khev
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/GI_JOE/BEACHHEAD/DSC00369.jpg

One glance at Mando's figures and you know they're all Joes. These two just look like a couple of special ops guys to me.

onethousandmasks
06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Nice customs but I think in 1/6 scale Beach Head will look better with a sculpted mask like SSC did with Storm Shadow.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

BuddyGus
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, those are all pretty awesome. I just hope we see something similar from sideshow soon.

karamazov80
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I'd love to see a huge group shot of his figures :rock
You can see a bunch of them in front of the U.S. flag on the side of his blog page. There is also this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zdax7nodNhA/SgTT6zUT7aI/AAAAAAAAARA/Rb3Ju0vDHI8/s1600-h/film+real.JPG

Wish I had that in my collection!

EVILFACE
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
He looks pretty good.

thenammagazine
06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Looks less like Beachhead and more like German SpecFor.

onethousandmasks
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
With the exeption of the ugly pants, I think it looks really good. I dont get why people say it doesnt look like Beach head. Sure its not classic BH, but neither is SS SE or CC. I think he was going for this look.
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9758/653569259831.jpg

With that said. I think Mando's is better. Closer to the original.

thenammagazine
06-12-2009, 05:56 PM
With the exeption of the ugly pants, I think it looks really good. I dont get why people say it doesnt look like Beach head. Sure its not classic BH, but neither is SS SE or CC. I think he was going for this look.
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9758/653569259831.jpg

With that said. I think Mando's is better. Closer to the original.

By that rational, just about every Spetsnaz soldier in an M21 Assault Vest and an OD balaclava would be Beachhead. There's a certain authenticity that Mando captured in his custom, that's severely lacking here. Besides, being a good ol' boy, I seriously doubt Beachhead would be caught dead in flecktarn. :lol

shocktrooper_au
06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Looks cool, looks like SAS mixed with German spec ops

madmaninsane
06-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I love all of Mando's GI JOES.

The Mike
06-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't like them. They great figures but they just aren't what I'm looking for in my SSC Beach Head.....I definitely want a sculpted head when SSC gets around to him.

Venky
06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
They look more like real life soldiers, which is more of what should have been the basis for the film instead of those retarded super suit, flamboyant aspects Sommers loves to glorify in his more recent films. Just my little rant with apreciation for the creativity that went into these pieces. :)

creature4000
06-13-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't like them. They great figures but they just aren't what I'm looking for in my SSC Beach Head.....I definitely want a sculpted head when SSC gets around to him.

I agree.. the customs are great... but this IS NOT Beachhead.

Sixthscalemagazine
06-13-2009, 09:40 AM
sculpted masks SUCK...

cloth should be made of cloth.

onethousandmasks
06-13-2009, 11:58 AM
By that rational, just about every Spetsnaz soldier in an M21 Assault Vest and an OD balaclava would be Beachhead. There's a certain authenticity that Mando captured in his custom, that's severely lacking here. Besides, being a good ol' boy, I seriously doubt Beachhead would be caught dead in flecktarn. :lol

The reason Mando captures, as you say a certain authenticity, is because he makes his figures as close to the original's look as possible. And we have that look etched in our minds since kids. If you ask any casual fan who this figure was, they would certainly know who it is, or who its supposed to be, Beachhead.

onethousandmasks
06-13-2009, 12:04 PM
sculpted masks SUCK...

cloth should be made of cloth.

The problem with cloth masks, imo, is that if the sculpt underneath the mask has stuff that protrudes, say hair, ears, a big nose, etc. the cloth mask makes the head look unatural. A real person's, ears, hair, nose, ususlly gets flatten by a mask.

Sixthscalemagazine
06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
The problem with cloth masks, imo, is that if the sculpt underneath the mask has stuff that protrudes, say hair, ears, a big nose, etc. the cloth mask makes the head look unatural. A real person's, ears, hair, nose, ususlly gets flatten by a mask.

you sculpt the head accordingly... and/or as in the case of snake eyes... you make the mask nonremoveable...

especially in the case of a character like beach head who's face underneath isn't really important...

onethousandmasks
06-13-2009, 02:00 PM
you sculpt the head accordingly... and/or as in the case of snake eyes... you make the mask nonremoveable...

especially in the case of a character like beach head who's face underneath isn't really important...

Oh, you are talking about an Sideshow made Beachhead. Then I agree, but you know its not going to happen, look at Stormshadow and Cobra Commander.

Sixthscalemagazine
06-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh, you are talking about an Sideshow made Beachhead. Then I agree, but you know its not going to happen, look at Stormshadow and Cobra Commander.

i thought that's why the whole sculpted mask issue was brought up... in relation to the possibility of a sideshow beach head...

a cloth mask on a custom version would be an even more definite choice imho...

like this one i posted the link to before...

other examples of well executed cloth masks:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78397

onethousandmasks
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
i thought that's why the whole sculpted mask issue was brought up... in relation to the possibility of a sideshow beach head...

a cloth mask on a custom version would be an even more definite choice imho...

like this one i posted the link to before...

other examples of well executed cloth masks:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78397

Sorry about that, I misunderstood where you were going. I guess its a matter of preference. Im currently bashing a Firefly, and after several attempts with the cloth balaclava, it just didnt look right to me. Then I saw this one:
http://onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84460&highlight=firefly
and got inspired

Blu Falcon
06-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Geez. You people are about as hard to please as Star Wars fans. :emperor:chew:maul:lightsabe:lsvader:stormtroo :vader

;)

thenammagazine
06-14-2009, 10:45 AM
The reason Mando captures, as you say a certain authenticity, is because he makes his figures as close to the original's look as possible. And we have that look etched in our minds since kids. If you ask any casual fan who this figure was, they would certainly know who it is, or who its supposed to be, Beachhead.

I doubt that. Think about it for a second. If you ask a "casual fan" who this is, without mentioning G.I. Joe at all, I seriously doubt you'd get "Beachhead" as a reply. :lol If he knew the camo's origin, he might say German SpecFor, but otherwise, you'd likely get either "SAS" or "terrorist."

Golgo-013
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
First of I appreciate all those who enjoyed the pictures. And Blu Falcon thanks for posting my work here again. I know your intent was just to share with others for enjoyment.

Second I find some of the logic used here to fuel people's little opinion's laughable. This custom is Beach Head whether you like it or not. I really don't give a @@@@ about whether you think it's good enough for you or sideshow. I made this custom for me, myself, and I. Some of you with the @@@@@ little comments should actually try taking the time to make a custom of your own, and maybe you might have a little more respect, but maybe not.

No offense to the more level headed collectors here, but this is why I don't post on this forum, besides the fact that I don't buy sideshow. Just not up to my standards, :lol...............

thenammagazine
06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
First of I appreciate all those who enjoyed the pictures. And Blu Falcon thanks for posting my work here again. I know your intent was just to share with others for enjoyment.

Second I find some of the logic used here to fuel people's little opinion's laughable. This custom is Beach Head whether you like it or not. I really don't give a @@@@ about whether you think it's good enough for you or sideshow. I made this custom for me, myself, and I. Some of you with the @@@@@ little comments should actually try taking the time to make a custom of your own, and maybe you might have a little more respect, but maybe not.

No offense to the more level headed collectors here, but this is why I don't post on this forum, besides the fact that I don't buy sideshow. Just not up to my standards, :lol...............

I think you missed the entire point. Nobody's saying it isn't a great bash (because it is), but seeing something posted as the "Definitive Beach Head" opens it up to critique. Why? Because while in your own eyes, it might be, in ours, it's not. As far as making one, if I went about it, which let's be honest, it's not a full on time consuming customized-piece demanding figure, but pretty much a straight bash of existing products, personally, I'd shoot a little more for authenticity. And while you'll likely find Sideshow's Beadhead not up to your standards, the same can be said for yours and ours. I know that I for one, would be rather upset if a RAH Beachhead from Sideshow looked like yours... no offense. ;)

Blu Falcon
06-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Okay guys, let's all chill. I'll take the hit for posting this as the "Definitive" Beach Head, which is the original title of this thread. For the record, I think it is. All the essential elements are there. Sorry that we all can't agree to what would be considered a true "Beach Head", but if this is how I'd imagine him if he were a real person operating in the real world. Now keep in mind that the creator of this Beach Head was also the creator of what I consider a "Definitive" Snake Eyes, which many of you were very receptive to. The title of this thread does open it up for critique, so my apologies to Golgo-013 for drawing undue harsh criticism to this custom bash. "Definitive" is clearly the wrong choice of word, and I'll revise the title accordingly. With that, I've seen a lot of custom work presented on this forum and others that quite frankly looks like utter crap, or far removed from what I'd consider quality work. But I'm not going to go around bashing someone elses work because I'm sure it means a lot to that individual, and who am I to drop a load in their Cheerios? I think from here we can all agree to disagree on our personal interpretations of Beach Head.

EDIT: Apparently, it's above my level to change the thread title to "This is a great interpretation of Beach Head", so I'll contact a mod and hopefully they'll adjust it.

thenammagazine
06-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Okay guys, let's all chill. I'll take the hit for posting this as the "Definitive" Beach Head, which is the original title of this thread. For the record, I think it is. All the essential elements are there. Sorry that we all can't agree to what would be considered a true "Beach Head", but if this is how I'd imagine him if he were a real person operating in the real world. Now keep in mind that the creator of this Beach Head was also the creator of what I consider a "Definitive" Snake Eyes, which many of you were very receptive to. The title of this thread does open it up for critique, so my apologies to Golgo-013 for drawing undue harsh criticism to this custom bash. "Definitive" is clearly the wrong choice of word, and I'll revise the title accordingly. With that, I've seen a lot of custom work presented on this forum and others that quite frankly looks like utter crap, or far removed from what I'd consider quality work. But I'm not going to go around bashing someone elses work because I'm sure it means a lot to that individual, and who am I to drop a load in their Cheerios? I think from here we can all agree to disagree on our personal interpretations of Beach Head.

EDIT: Apparently, it's above my level to change the thread title to "This is a great interpretation of Beach Head", so I'll contact a mod and hopefully they'll adjust it.

Again, I don't recall anyone saying the bash looked like crap, merely that it wasn't what we'd consider a definitive Beachhead. So to spin it into people talking ^^^^ about his customs is completely wrong. Clearly in his opinion it is, but that doesn't give him the right to ^^^^ on other freaks for saying it isn't.

I just think the critique was wrongly taken as a personal affront vs. choice aspects for the custom.

Blu Falcon
06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Again, I don't recall anyone saying the bash looked like crap, merely that it wasn't what we'd consider a definitive Beachhead. So to spin it into people talking ^^^^ about his customs is completely wrong. Clearly in his opinion it is, but that doesn't give him the right to ^^^^ on other freaks for saying it isn't.

I just think the critique was wrongly taken as a personal affront vs. choice aspects for the custom.

Well I never said that anyone here said these look like crap. My point is that the creator is rightfully proud of his work, and to say "it's NOT beach head" is just as f*$^ed up as saying it looks like s#!t. Who the F&^k are we to tell the guy it's not? To each his own. For the record I've got a thick skin, so I can handle some good honest feedback if I post something. However, others might be a little more sensitive about their work. It's called "tact" and you of all people should know what the hell that means.

karamazov80
06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I can see how he would feel a bit offended, as I'm sure he put a lot of time into it, likes it, and feels compelled to defend criticisms. But he posted this in a public forum at OSW. If it was only for himself, then why post pics at all? If it was just to get positive feedback, well, then maybe he shouldn't post it in a place where people feel that they can be honest about their opinions, because not everyone is going to love everything that any of us do (even Dark Artist gets some "criticism" for his work sometimes. . .though not much ;) ). In that sense, maybe that's why he didn't post here. I don't go to OSW too much, but maybe his "standards" restrict his posting to places where people don't give their honest opinions.

He clearly wanted to show off his figure, and rightfully so. It is awesome, and I personally am glad to have had the chance to see great customs like his and Mando's. But people here are just giving their opinions, which are pretty dang easy to give on an anonymous forum. They can be taken or ignored. I don't see the point of getting so bent out of shape about it. They don't take anything away from what he has done. It still stands as a great kitbash, though we all have our opinions of which is the "best" or of which better represents a character over another.

ShazBo
06-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think Golgo-013 will be returning anytime soon.

I just thought it was odd that he got mad because the majority of people thought it was pretty good. Sure there were 1 or 2 people that were straight up bashing it but you'd figure with the majority of the people liking the Custom that 2% could of been wrong. Other people did state what he could improve on to make it look more like Beach Head but I don't see how anyone would of gotten mad from constructive criticism.

I personally thought that his Snake Eyes was better. That WAS Snake-eye without a doubt. It's kinda of hard to do a follow up after that fig.

Blu Falcon
06-14-2009, 03:42 PM
To hell with all of you. This thread needs some comedy relief.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnOyMSEWNTs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnOyMSEWNTs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Shai
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Your Custom was very average.True story.

thenammagazine
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Well I never said that anyone here said these look like crap. My point is that the creator is rightfully proud of his work, and to say "it's NOT beach head" is just as f*$^ed up as saying it looks like s#!t. Who the F&^k are we to tell the guy it's not? To each his own. For the record I've got a thick skin, so I can handle some good honest feedback if I post something. However, others might be a little more sensitive about their work. It's called "tact" and you of all people should know what the hell that means.

Somebody needs a hug. :lol Tact, in this case = kissing ass. Kissing ass = not my style ;). I prefer being honest and upfront. It's a great custom piece, the perfect German SpecFor Operator it is, it really is, but the "definitive" Beachhead, it ain't. I'll stick to my guns and say that to me, it just doesn't look like him. If it floats his boat and yours, hell, go fishing! :D It just doesn't float mine. :lol

onethousandmasks
06-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I doubt that. Think about it for a second. If you ask a "casual fan" who this is, without mentioning G.I. Joe at all, I seriously doubt you'd get "Beachhead" as a reply. :lol If he knew the camo's origin, he might say German SpecFor, but otherwise, you'd likely get either "SAS" or "terrorist."

Ok, forget the casual fan. You are telling me if you saw this figure in a GI Joe thread, you wouldnt know who it represents?

thenammagazine
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Ok, forget the casual fan. You are telling me if you saw this figure in a GI Joe thread, you wouldnt know who it represents?

I think the best way to answer that, since you're sorta agreeing with my earlier reply, is this; I look at Mando's and know it's Beachhead. I look at this one and I know who it's supposed to be. If we weren't in a Joe forum, looking at the pic online, I'd guess a fantastic custom kitbash of a German Special Ops/Commando. Does that make sense?

Blu Falcon
06-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Somebody needs a hug. :lol Tact, in this case = kissing ass. Kissing ass = not my style ;). I prefer being honest and upfront. It's a great custom piece, the perfect German SpecFor Operator it is, it really is, but the "definitive" Beachhead, it ain't. I'll stick to my guns and say that to me, it just doesn't look like him. If it floats his boat and yours, hell, go fishing! :D It just doesn't float mine. :lol

Just so you know, I farted immediately after I read all that. ^

thenammagazine
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Just so you know, I farted immediately after I read all that. ^

;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Toiletpapier_(Gobran111).jpg/800px-Toiletpapier_(Gobran111).jpg

creature4000
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM
This thread is hilarious!!!! No one is cutting on the Custom beach Head being a custom job. Thats fine.

The issue is the title of this thread stating that This IS the Definitive Beach Head.. which it's clearly not. :lol

DrunknIronRabit
09-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Nice, but I agree that the other figure posted from OSW is nicer. My personal favorite is Mando's, though:

http://meanwhilebackathq.blogspot.com/2008/11/ranger-codename-beachhead.html

Anyway someone could be put out their way to rehost Mandos Beach head so I can take a look see? Also does anyone know what the two headsculpts that have the fabric balaclavas over them might be? I'd like to know because im trying to bash him even though i have the SSC balaclava coming from 'Masks

DrunknIronRabit
09-23-2014, 05:56 AM
To hell with all of you. This thread needs some comedy relief.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnOyMSEWNTs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnOyMSEWNTs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Lolz cant believe i just read all that ish lolz .., still wanna know where the free chicken and hot babes are Falcon lolz :rotfl :lecture

DrunknIronRabit
09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
that one is awesome but i prefer this one...

At least even with the german flecktarn that guy got that the original art showed Beachhead being a lefty. That has to be the one thing that's always bugged me. Everyone looks to the original art as the guideline but because everyone thinks that just because youre taught to use your AR from the right grip that youre right handed reguardless.., you always know which hand the person is going to draw with from how and where the sidearm is mounted on their person.

lerath666
09-23-2014, 08:43 AM
BEHOLD! AnOThER NecroMaNCER!