PDA

View Full Version : Re: Chris Howes

pixletwin
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I would just like to take the opportunity to point out the fact that the only person who has paid our sculptors (neither of whom are C. Howes, thank goodness) for the Hobbit sculpts has been Dave. So we should all stay extra patient with regards to the progress on these sculpts.

Just know that I have 100% confidence they will be done. I'm just not 100% sure when... :lol

BlindVoyeur
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I have full faith in Dave. It does however look like the R.M.S. Howes finally struck that big iceberg its been heading for .........

carbo-fation
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
He just kept taking on more work! I wished he'd finished his first few commissions first before taking on more. And the constant lack of updates.....:banghead

dwing
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Funny. I'm in no rush. Lost interest but still in for the long hall.

thenammagazine
06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Man, after reading that thread full of disgruntled, paid customers, and it containing a lack of any update/comment by him...

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/plane_crash.jpg

Darklord Dave
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
This is the reason I don't take money up front and the reason for my rules for dealing with pros.

I've been told that we'll see something by SDCC.

thamesvalidude
06-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Just let us know as soon as you want payment Dave.

One question: Will painted sculpts be available? I made a bit of a mess of my Andy Bergholz Daniel Craig...:o:mad:

pixletwin
06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
This is the reason I don't take money up front and the reason for my rules for dealing with pros.

I've been told that we'll see something by SDCC.

:lecture :lecture

I think the way we are doing these is the perfect route.

Just let us know as soon as you want payment Dave.

One question: Will painted sculpts be available? I made a bit of a mess of my Andy Bergholz Daniel Craig...:o:mad:

I seriously doubt it. Though there may be a few customizers who will be up to the task of doing group orders. :)

FlyAndFight
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
This pair is one that I'm seriously considering sending off to one of the better repainters that frequent the board. Are there any that are in on the project? I'd rather go that route and not create a stir, if you will.

pixletwin
06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Just DA and I am not sure he is up to the task since he is quitting the business. :(

El Skutto
06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm pretty decent with skintones, drybrushing and washes, but I absolutely suck at painting eyeballs. One iris always ends up bigger than the other. :banghead

thamesvalidude
06-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty decent with skintones, drybrushing and washes, but I absolutely suck at painting eyeballs. One iris always ends up bigger than the other. :banghead

My problem exactly.....I just can't do eyes!:(

ProgMatinee
06-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I really am grateful to dave for taking the position he took on this project.

Regarding painting, I hope to send them to small studios, but he is really getting well known as he should so I think his wait times will increase. but he did my faramir and aragorn and they look great.

pixletwin
06-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't remember seeing pics of them, unless he posted them in his thread.

Wor-Gar
06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Been waiting for this Howes thing to explode for months now.

Not sure how so many got sucked in with this guy in the first place. I mean, for all his self-promoting, did anyone look at his work on his original site? A few porcelin kittens didn't sell me.

I understand the buyers anger and frustration at this point. Surprised it took so long. Warnings were made early on, but there were so many adamant Pro-Chris supporters that jumped on anyone who questioned anything Chris did that those warnings were quickly buried in the perpetual need for more and more "dream" sculpts. I have no orders with him, so my own personal frustration comes simply from fearing this was gonna happen and now seeing it come to light.

I do sincerely hope it works out for everybody.

pixletwin
06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I really wanted to get a piece of the Doctor Who stuff he was doing but in the end my gut told me to stay away.

Entropy
06-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I really wanted to get a piece of the Doctor Who stuff he was doing but in the end my gut told me to stay away.

I know. I felt the same about the Glau sculpt. :(

Has anyone here received anything or just ebay buyers?

lerath666
06-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Speaking of repainting, and creating skintones, did we ever decide how these were going to be cast? Andy B shared with me the source he used for Transparent fleshcolored resin. To keep the hobits looking uniform, I'd strongly recomend going that route, and it also means far less to paint.

I'd be happy to PM that website addy he sent me to whomever is gonna do the castings.

thenammagazine
06-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Speaking of repainting, and creating skintones, did we ever decide how these were going to be cast? Andy B shared with me the source he used for Transparent fleshcolored resin. To keep the hobits looking uniform, I'd strongly recomend going that route, and it also means far less to paint.

I'd be happy to PM that website addy he sent me to whomever is gonna do the castings.

I think that road'll be crossed once we have sculpts to cast. :lol But I do agree, this is the way to go. :D

Darklord Dave
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM

I used the flesh dye in resin before and ended up just painting the whole thing anyway because the color just wasn't great. It's not like the PVC flesh cast that HT and now SSC are doing and I doubt we could replicate that.

Entropy
06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
The raw smooth-on flesh tint is too pale, you have to custom mix tints, some red + brown + blue or whathaveyou in addition to the base flesh color. If you tint an entire gallon you can knock out a fair number of casts that match. Of course a second batch is difficult to match to the first 100%.

lerath666
06-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I used the flesh dye in resin before and ended up just painting the whole thing anyway because the color just wasn't great. It's not like the PVC flesh cast that HT and now SSC are doing and I doubt we could replicate that.

Here's the head that andy Cast using flesh colored resin, and I've got his instructions on where he bought his stuff. just submitting it for those who have not seen it yet.

Hey gang, I've been experimenting a bit with some translucent flesh tone resin, and I think I finally got a color that I like. Now if only I could paint these! :)

http://www.absculpture.com/images/Andy's%20stuff/Locke%201%20copy.jpg

http://www.absculpture.com/images/Andy's%20stuff/Locke%202%20copy.jpg

http://www.absculpture.com/images/Andy's%20stuff/Locke%203%20copy.jpg

icruise
06-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Man, after reading that thread full of disgruntled, paid customers, and it containing a lack of any update/comment by him...

Which one are you talking about?

thenammagazine
06-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Which one are you talking about?

This is true. There are several. I happened upon one custom sculpt thread and showed Pix (I think it was the Summer Glau thread). Then he showed me CH's own custom thread where they're basically calling him out. :lol

icruise
06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Well, we'll see how this unfolds. I paid for the Star Trek heads back in December when things weren't quite so clearly going off the rails. He did show up in the Star Trek thread for a couple of days and showed some decent in-progress versions of two of the heads, but now he's gone again and probably won't be back again for months. I imagine he'll come through eventually, but how long it will take will be anybody's guess. I just wish people would give the damn "interest threads" a rest.

El Skutto
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
This reminds me of the Captain Faramir situation with the Boromir cloaks. Deciding to sell a custom-made product and quickly becoming overwhelmed by the volume of orders. I think a better policy is to make X number of the item in question, sell only the ones that are already produced, then produce another batch and repeat the process. Pre-orders are nothing but trouble.

lerath666
06-15-2009, 10:00 PM
OR, Take orders, But DO NOT take money untill the product is made.

thenammagazine
06-16-2009, 09:08 AM
OR, Take orders, But DO NOT take money untill the product is made.

Nah, too many flakes and fair-weather commiters for that. :lol

FlyAndFight
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Here's the head that andy Cast using flesh colored resin, and I've got his instructions on where he bought his stuff. just submitting it for those who have not seen it yet.

That looks fantastic.

As for the Chris Howes fiascos, I'm just glad I never got into any of those projects. My Spidey senses were tingling from the get-go, way back when.

I too was not impressed with his website. That may have been the initial "hmmm..." for me.

thenammagazine
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM
OUCH! :lol Apparently he's so backed up that he never even finished his second commission since being here:
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45793&page=32

shovelchop81
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM

these sculpts look great, i guess they'd need a wash or two. why don't the rest of you work on building some new pieces rather than ^^^^^ing about other people :violindoing it for you?

lerath666
06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
these sculpts look great, i guess they'd need a wash or two. why don't the rest of you work on building some new pieces rather than ^^^^^ing about other people :violindoing it for you?
YOu lost me.

thamesvalidude
06-18-2009, 12:32 AM

Because this "Briton" hasn't got talent!!!!:mad:

icruise
06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
And many people have already paid for the job to be done. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to follow through.

pixletwin
06-18-2009, 06:54 AM

Why exactly are you here again?

shovelchop81
06-18-2009, 07:19 AM
"Because this "Briton" hasn't got talent!!!! "

Really? I have three custom LOTR figures on these threads, funny how i haven't seen any of yours.

"And many people have already paid for the job to be done. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to follow through."

I agree it's just everyone seems to be obsessing on this thread instead of the the others that involve creating figures which is what i thought Hobbit revival was all about?

thamesvalidude
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=shovelchop81;1770699]"Because this "Briton" hasn't got talent!!!! "

Really? I have three custom LOTR figures on these threads, funny how i haven't seen any of yours.

I was referring to me not having the talent to produce my own customs, hence why I am prepared to pay whatever it takes to get the best representations.

Chill dude!

pixletwin
06-18-2009, 09:44 AM

"And many people have already paid for the job to be done. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to follow through."

I agree it's just everyone seems to be obsessing on this thread instead of the the others that involve creating figures which is what i thought Hobbit revival was all about?

So let me get this right? You are annoyed because everyone isn't paying attention to your threads?

This forum (Hobbitland) was created for people who are paying someone else to make them hobbit sculpts of Merry and Pippin. Everything else is merely peripheral. So if you fancy yourself so great and wonderful that you can do this yourself why, I was asking, are you in this forum?

thenammagazine
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM

Clearly a case of jumping into the middle of a conversation without having a clue as to the subject unless you randomly quoted Lerath just to post. C. Howes has taken cash for MANY custom sculpts here and has yet to finish his second. MANY people have already paid and are waiting to receive work he promised many, many moons ago. Initially we considered having him produce the Hobbits, which is were this thread came from as a reminder as to just why we didn't go that route.

There's a little "How To" for Gimli that's stickied to the very top of this forum (habitat) and there's a Bilbo thread with his custom Bilbo. In the Gimli thread, that's Pix's grubby digits in the photos cutting apart the DiD Gimli. Look a little harder before posting something that stupid. Makes you look like your post, which we all know you're not. ;)

El Skutto
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, shovelchop, I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. We're not here to show off our customs; there's an actual customs section in the main Freaks board for that kind of thing. We're here because we want to complete our 1:6 scale Fellowship and to do that, we need Merry and Pippen. And due to certain circumstances, that required the creation of a secret forum.

You're more than welcome to show off your customs and we'll be happy to give you feedback, but realize that that isn't the primary purpose of this particular forum. Essentially, we're potential investors in a small business opportunity.

thenammagazine
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, shovelchop, I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. We're not here to show off our customs; there's an actual customs section in the main Freaks board for that kind of thing. We're here because we want to complete our 1:6 scale Fellowship and to do that, we need Merry and Pippen. And due to certain circumstances, that required the creation of a secret forum.

You're more than welcome to show off your customs and we'll be happy to give you feedback, but realize that that isn't the primary purpose of this particular forum. Essentially, we're potential investors in a small business opportunity.

...that doesn't exist. ;)

icruise
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
C. Howes has taken cash for MANY custom sculpts here and has yet to finish his second.

I don't want to defend Chris (in fact I'm saying this more to defend the people who decided to give him money), but he did more than just one custom sculpt, although it's possible that he's only completely fulfilled the orders for one.

thenammagazine
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't want to defend Chris (in fact I'm saying this more to defend the people who decided to give him money), but he did more than just one custom sculpt, although it's possible that he's only completely fulfilled the orders for one.

So he's finished the The Shining Jack custom? :confused: I didn't say that he hadn't finished more than one (I know he finished the House one), just that he hadn't even finished his second piece, and to the best of my knowledge, that was his second piece.

icruise
06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, he's come up with House, Summer Glau, and some work-in-progress ones for Star Trek that I know of off-hand, plus the Joker sculpts.

thenammagazine
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, he's come up with House, Summer Glau, and some work-in-progress ones for Star Trek that I know of off-hand, plus the Joker sculpts.

Yes, but as to my point, he hasn't finished the Jack headsculpt, which was his second offering. Last I checked, he's having issues completing the Summer sculpt and any "WIPs" are pretty much irrelevant at this point other than to further prove my point of him taking cash and agreeing to further custom jobs when he hasn't even completed his second.

icruise
06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Well I agree with you. It just sounded like you thought he had only done one thing.

thenammagazine
06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Well I agree with you. It just sounded like you thought he had only done one thing.

I just feel bad for you and everyone else who may get screwed over by his eagerness to take on more jobs than he is capable of.

shovelchop81
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM
oops, sorry i seem to have completely got the wrong end of the stick on this thread, my apologies. and my sincere apologies to thamesvalidude as i obviously got that backwards too! having a bad day i guess.:pow

thamesvalidude
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
oops, sorry i seem to have completely got the wrong end of the stick on this thread, my apologies. and my sincere apologies to thamesvalidude as i obviously got that backwards too! having a bad day i guess.:pow

No worries mate. Happens to us all! I've got my mother in law coming to stay for a few days so I'm having a REAL bad day with a few more to follow!!!!:(

shovelchop81
06-20-2009, 03:46 AM
No worries mate. Happens to us all! I've got my mother in law coming to stay for a few days so I'm having a REAL bad day with a few more to follow!!!!:(

thanks for your understanding, i hope you survive the next few days!