Stephen Sommers Fired From GI Joe!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hasn't been debunked at all... unless you believe a word that turd Lorenzo di Bonaventura has to say (I don't).

I saw that this morning. The test screening results don't surprise me in the least. But what does surprise me is that the execs would be somehow surprised. What did they expect, exactly, when they hired on the director of the Mummy movies and Van Helsing? Chris Nolan? The Coen Brothers? :confused:

It is going to be beyond sucking. There will be new words created when this abomination hits the screens.

How do you Fire Someone who already has made (directed) the film??? His fingers are already on it!!

^^ exactly, how do you fire someone when the films already done, lol?

It must be that bad. Maybe they're reconsidering straight to dvd?

found this:

Lorenzo di Bonaventura was in charge of the film and never contradicted Sommers on anything. Lorenzo, so you know, was previously a senior Warners honcho and had GI Joe under option there (not as a producer) for seven years and he refused to greenlight the film, stating that because he grew up in Italy he had no knowledge of it. "If you google enough, at one point you will see he wanted the film to be about an action hero named Mann (Action Man...got it) and he clearly had no clue what the GI Joe world really was. "And the hapless hack Sommers? Where did he come from? The confused Jon Fogelman at William Morris, who signed Hasbro away from CAA, had to find a director in a hurry for his new clients and gave [Paramount] the only guy who he repped who would do it. A sad end to what could have been a great franchise. Acceleration suits indeed." ...add-on: So I got in touch with my guy and here's what he said: "The bottom line is that you don't read stuff like this about a film that's working. The bad buzz around G.I. Joe has been swirling around for a long time. The studio knows it's a bomb and is trying to mitigate the disaster. "Sommers' complete autonomy got them into this mess, but he doesn't have it anymore. He was petulant and demanding throughout the production and got his way at ever turn, until now. This isn't about his final cut nor anyone's respective 'vision' as they're now mightily endeavoring to get a version of this film together that's releasable and can get the biggest opening possible. "One person at Paramount said it's the weakest major release since Escape From L.A. Any hopes for a new tentpole are completely gone."

The movie can very well still be in post-production which can sometimes be right up til really close to release date...so Sommers is very much still involved until the bitter end. Just because the cameras quit rolling doesn't mean the movie is done.

This comes out on my son's 8th birthday, and I'll be seeing it with him regardless. But a worse major tentpole release than Van Helsing? That's actually quite an accomplishment.

Back