PDA

View Full Version : Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

thenammagazine
07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
See, i don't have mine yet and i believe you on the helmet looking off but, there will be a few whiney beotchies on here that will say.."well got to have it in hand first" blow mee nads!!.
Check out this pic some guy(Lenoir) posted on Rebelscum of his modded Vader, looks way way better.

Wow, that's pretty desperate. Your local ^^^^^ stopped calling? I can't believe you're still trying to poke jabs about the helmet. :rolleyes: Have a good cry, get over it... it's old news.

OSCORP
07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
From medi-world
Vader impressions:

PROS: He's big. Definitely Predator/Briareos sized. The outfit is really well made, including a ribbed bodysuit and lined cape, and feels extremely durable. The issues with the helmet being undersized (that many have bemoaned on SSF) aren't really noticable in person, and from certain angles not noticable at all. The price of course (I got this bad boy for $110 USD from Alter Ego), and last but not least, the body, Yes, the body. This is my first Prometheus and after the horror stories i'd heard about various Indy and GI Joe figures I was pretty worried about this, but it's absolutely perfect, tight but not too tight. And from what i've read I didn't just get lucky and wind up with one that wasn't a rag doll (like my Stormtrooper), but the quality of the joints is consistent this time out. Good job, Sideshow.
CONS: Okay, the wrist and ankle articulation could stand to be a bit better. The gloves and boots are solid pieces, so you're pretty much stuck with the sculpted positioning of the ankles and wrists. No up and down movement on the wrists and no side to side movement on the ankles. Which means that some of the lightsaber swinging poses and deep stances look kind of goofy, but those are really my only complaints.

Overall this is a fantastic figure, easily Sideshow's best ever. I think that everyone even marginally interested should pick one up.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/juggernaut2283/IMG_0669.jpg
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/juggernaut2283/IMG_0656.jpg
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/juggernaut2283/IMG_0659.jpg
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/juggernaut2283/IMG_0663.jpg
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/juggernaut2283/IMG_0657.jpg

thenammagazine
07-14-2009, 11:13 PM
From medi-world
Vader impressions:

PROS: He's big. Definitely Predator/Briareos sized. The outfit is really well made, including a ribbed bodysuit and lined cape, and feels extremely durable. The issues with the helmet being undersized (that many have bemoaned on SSF) aren't really noticable in person, and from certain angles not noticable at all. The price of course (I got this bad boy for $110 USD from Alter Ego), and last but not least, the body, Yes, the body. This is my first Prometheus and after the horror stories i'd heard about various Indy and GI Joe figures I was pretty worried about this, but it's absolutely perfect, tight but not too tight. And from what i've read I didn't just get lucky and wind up with one that wasn't a rag doll (like my Stormtrooper), but the quality of the joints is consistent this time out. Good job, Sideshow.
CONS: Okay, the wrist and ankle articulation could stand to be a bit better. The gloves and boots are solid pieces, so you're pretty much stuck with the sculpted positioning of the ankles and wrists. No up and down movement on the wrists and no side to side movement on the ankles. Which means that some of the lightsaber swinging poses and deep stances look kind of goofy, but those are really my only complaints.

Overall this is a fantastic figure, easily Sideshow's best ever. I think that everyone even marginally interested should pick one up.

I still don't get why people think Vader and the Stormtroopers are on the Prometheus. :confused:

EVILFACE
07-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I still don't get why people think Vader and the Stormtroopers are on the Prometheus. :confused:

There is also no problems with the Pro's used on GIJoe figures.

Valfar
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Wow, that's pretty desperate. Your local ^^^^^ stopped calling? I can't believe you're still trying to poke jabs about the helmet. :rolleyes: Have a good cry, get over it... it's old news.

Awww..i expected a better cut up then that.

Brent72
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/rsz_ss_vader_refab_002.jpg

That certainly does look better. Don't know if it's the angle or the mod itself, but it's an improvement for sure.

Hydeous
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
That certainly does look better. Don't know if it's the angle or the mod itself, but it's an improvement for sure.

Reminds me more of ESB than ANH.

thenammagazine
07-15-2009, 01:57 AM
There is also no problems with the Pro's used on GIJoe figures.

Personally, I haven't had a problem since the Harbinger, which I believe was their 2nd pro-based figure.

Darren Carnall
07-15-2009, 04:49 AM
I think it's funny, remembering back to when this Star Wars line started, people were worried that a) Vader would take forever/never get done... (and it did take quite a while, admittedly) and b) it would be terrible

:D

Jaycepticon
07-15-2009, 05:16 AM
So many awesome pics in here, but I don't remember seeing any with his arms crossed. Or maybe I missed it. Does anybody have pics of him posed like that?

Oxnard Montalvo
07-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Just a quick question for anyone who's done it....how easy is it to put the inner robe under the shoulder armour?

Cocoboloboy
07-15-2009, 06:33 AM
They would look much better on the Cocoboloboy "Commtech" triple shelf, but I still have yet to get one from the maker.

LOL!:D j/k... just giving you a hard time!

:rotfl Soon. Very soon.
You'll be needing two Triples now, though, right?:D

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Anyone have pics of SS Vader with Medi Luke? I'm up for a good laugh this morning.

galactiboy
07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Anyone have pics of SS Vader with Medi Luke? I'm up for a good laugh this morning.

Sadly I sold my Luke recently... I'm sure it would have been a sight :lol

Mad Old Lu
07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Here are some quick pics when I first go him home:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J-1cy_VI/AAAAAAAAAZA/VssnLV6PuDo/s512/IMG_7387.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J_oKy-GI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/aQ_PNwp6ZxA/s512/IMG_7391.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J_01KYfI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/hWDsUkSFv-A/s640/IMG_7386.JPG

Here's a closeup of the shoddy paint work on the green button on the front panel:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J_LnxCoI/AAAAAAAAAYE/WKGmxaTrFtY/s640/IMG_7388.JPG

I'm willing to overlook this, though. And I mentioned that my helmet had come undone during shipment, but that the peg seemed tight enough to hold the helmet in place without glue. However, when I move his head, I inevitably have to do it while handling the helmet, and the helmet becomes dislodged. So I'll most likely have to glue it down.

It's an incredible figure. I never had a problem with the helmet size or position. Maulfan was right when he said it was like a PF statue. I don't know what else there is to say about how great Vader came out that hasn't been said before!

By the way, are people having trouble swapping out the hands? I'm finding it tricky since I can't really see where the peg is aiming! And I think I'm liking the open hand more than the pointy hand--more dynamic!

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Just a quick question for anyone who's done it....how easy is it to put the inner robe under the shoulder armour?

Very easy actually.

Darth Madden
07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
By the way, are people having trouble swapping out the hands? I'm finding it tricky since I can't really see where the peg is aiming! And I think I'm liking the open hand more than the pointy hand--more dynamic!

The peg in my right saber hand is all ready bent so it has trouble going on. Even when I bend it back straight it doesn't seem to want to go on very well and keeps bending out of place more.

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I went ahead and got the Regular version from Alter Ego . I normally don't own two of the same SS 1:6 pieces with the exception of the Stormtrooper but it was just too good to pass up on Vader. I wanted one to keep MIB and one to display since normaly I'm also a MIB collector.

coolkansaswind
07-15-2009, 10:22 AM
sir............................................... ............... LORD VADER has arrived i now going to get a second one

espino419
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
sir............................................... ............... LORD VADER has arrived i now going to get a second one

is it that good that your getting a second one?

shockwave
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok much to my surprise I was able to do some minor revisions on Vader. I switched SSC helmet w/Hurricane's Vader helment. I tried the best I could w/the pics. I think it looks better. The only nitpick I have is the side view, you really can't see Vader's eye. Hope you will enjoy the pics...:peace:D

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I think the flare part of the dome on Hurricane's is even shorter than Sideshow's.

The spread of the flare from a front on view is good and the slope from front to back in a side view is good, but it needs to come down 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch more to really work.

Commtech
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I think the flare part of the dome on Hurricane's is even shorter than Sideshow's.

The spread of the flare from a front on view is good and the slope from front to back in a side view is good, but it needs to come down 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch more to really work.

Agree. And it's shorter because overall, the hurricane Vader is smaller in scale compared to sideshow's. Good try though.

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Vader is great as is with no modifactions .

Valfar
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Ok much to my surprise I was able to do some minor revisions on Vader. I switched SSC helmet w/Hurricane's Vader helment. I tried the best I could w/the pics. I think it looks better. The only nitpick I have is the side view, you really can't see Vader's eye. Hope you will enjoy the pics...:peace:D

Looks wayyy better..nice pics!..it looks more canon to the movie now, not perfect but, close..you got the dome leveled right at the brow and the added flair makes a difference as well.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Agree. And it's shorter because overall, the hurricane Vader is smaller in scale compared to sideshow's. Good try though.

Yeah, not saying it's bad overall, just doesn't work for the Sideshow, if anyone wants a dome from Hurricane, it'll have to be a whole new dome built to the SSC head.

DarthTrafford
07-15-2009, 11:16 AM
My Vader was sent out for delivery at 5:58am EST!
I should have him around 7pm EST.
UPS is so slow!
:chew

Darthrazz
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM
UPS is so slow!

Mine is out for delivery as well!!!!!!:emperor:emperor

joda76
I went ahead and got the Regular version from Alter Ego . I normally don't own two of the same SS 1:6 pieces with the exception of the Stormtrooper but it was just too good to pass up on Vader. I wanted one to keep MIB and one to display since normaly I'm also a MIB collector.

Good to hear buddy! I was gonna get 2 of them too but couldnt swing it.

MaulFan
UPS is so slow!

7PM they'll deliver it or you'll finally be around to get it, if that's delivery, damn, even on their latest day my UPS came at 4pm.

shockwave
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks wayyy better..nice pics!..it looks more canon to the movie now, not perfect but, close..you got the dome leveled right at the brow and the added flair makes a difference as well.

Thank you Valfar. I am a major novice. So I was suprised I did this w/o a snap or break...:lol Maulfan your right too. I will try to make some adjustments. AND I am trying to attach SSC Vader helmet to my Hur Vader..Caution genius at work...:rotfl

kl241
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM

I don't see a difference. :huh

Valfar
07-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you Valfar. I am a major novice. So I was suprised I did this w/o a snap or break...:lol Maulfan your right too. I will try to make some adjustments. AND I am trying to attach SSC Vader helmet to my Hur Vader..Caution genius at work...:rotfl

No problem, i think hurricanes looks better because its wider on the top and bottom and i don't really see it sitting higher then SS's since to get the look of ANH Vader you have to dremel the crap out of the dome and head anyway.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Maulfan your right too. I will try to make some adjustments.

Well I don't think adjustments are going to help, it's just a matter of there just not being enough physical material on the flare part of the dome to work with the SSC head, you'd have to add to the whole thing and to blend it with Hurc's helmet and all, it'd probably be easier and cheaper just to get a new one from him.

shockwave
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Well I don't think adjustments are going to help, it's just a matter of there just not being enough physical material on the flare part of the dome to work with the SSC head, you'd have to add to the whole thing and to blend it with Hurc's helmet and all, it'd probably be easier and cheaper just to get a new one from him.

D'oh...:doh Just kidding. Thanks MF. :D

FlyAndFight
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
"Inform the Commander that Lord Vader's Shuttle has arrived."*

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qkeWWoWLUpw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qkeWWoWLUpw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Vader is here!!! Took a quick peek and he looks amazing. Will wait till I get home from the office before releasing him from his packaging.

*Yeah, I know the clip is ESB Vader but it's still cool... ;)

DarthTrafford
07-15-2009, 12:00 PM
7PM they'll deliver it or you'll finally be around to get it, if that's delivery, damn, even on their latest day my UPS came at 4pm.

I'm always getting my deliveries from SSC from UPS late. It's like I'm the last stop on the route. If I get it before 1pm I consider it lucky.
If Fed Ex delivers something I get it before noon.

JustinLuck
07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Did anyone else receive their Vader packaged like this?

http://i25.tinypic.com/w7iuye.jpg

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Like what? :dunno

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Is that the ultra rare Invisble Vader ?

galactiboy
07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
So there is a piece of cardboard under the window? That is odd, but mine was as you would expect... figure visible just like the accessories. There was piece of tissue paper, but that wast it.

JustinLuck
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
No, the cardboard tray was just put in backwards. At first I thought it might be intentional as a special grand reveal. :lol

jimjimmyjones85
07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I should have mine today... :)

Indiana Fett
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM

No, the cardboard tray was just put in backwards. At first I thought it might be intentional as a special grand reveal. :lol

HAHA, that's TOO funny. Imagine that was on a store shelf and you just opened up the gatefold to have a look at Vader and brown cardboard was staring back at you!? :lol

I can draw a picture of Vader on it for you for $75? It'll be 'approximately' 1/6 scale, but might not be entirely 'screen accurate'. Send me a PM if interested! :rotfl

jkno
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I should have mine today... :)

Same here :banana

Darth Madden
07-15-2009, 12:40 PM

Good thing you are not a MIB collector. :)

FlyAndFight
07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Too funny, Justinluck! :lol

Commtech
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Imagine that the special grand reveal would be a Pamela Vorhees!:D

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I think this could have turned out a lot better.
Here is my life size ANH Vader.
I could have helped them considerably.

http://www.starwarspropaganda.com/posted_images/characters/anh%20vader/thumb11.jpg

Kuzeh
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
I think this could have turned out a lot better.
Here is my life size ANH Vader.
I could have helped them considerably.

http://www.starwarspropaganda.com/posted_images/characters/anh%20vader/thumb11.jpg

That's an awesome costume dude!!!
But... are you serious?... :lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks.
And yes, totally.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Other than the dome, I think the SSC figure looks pretty dead on to that in every other regard.

Customikey
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh goody. Another expert.

Welcome! :fireworks

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Another???
I thought I was the only one. :D

On a serious note, if you look at this figure next to photo reference of the screen used costume, you will find that it is seriously off the mark.
For example, the belt boxes on this figure are ESB style and not even ANH (which are totally different). But that's just one problem out of many.

If you aren't familiar with me, you should check out my site
www.starwarspropaganda.com

then click on proparchive (which is my gallery)

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
For example, the belt boxes on this figure are ESB style and not even ANH (which are totally different). But that's just one problem out of many.

How do you figure, the figure boxes look like the pictures on your site to me, but for lack of weathering.

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Give me a few minutes and I'll post up a comparison.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Give me a few minutes and I'll post up a comparison.

Great site man!, i think you are restoring balance to this thread..:lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks.
I don't know if I've ever seen a 281 page thread, so I haven't read the whole thing.
Just in case there is any question, I'm not here trying to bash on Sideshow, I'm just trying to point out some of the things that were overlooked.

JustinLuck
07-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Go to User CP and edit options. Change the number of posts per page to 40. Then you will only see 71 pages. :D

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Is there any reason that anyone knows about why David Prowse looked bulkier in the ANH costume?

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Go to User CP and edit options. Change the number of posts per page to 40. Then you will only see 71 pages. :D

Doh!
Still the biggest thread I've ever seen.

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I can't believe how nit picky some people are . Nothing is ever going to be perfect . O well I'm just going to enjoy the EX and Reg I have and call it a day.

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Is there any reason that anyone knows about why David Prowse looked bulkier in the ANH costume?

He didn't.
Actually he was his thinnest in ANH.
By the time ROTJ came around, he put on a few 'cough' extra pounds.

The belt and codpiece rides up much higher in ANH than the other two films. I think that is why he looks a bit bulkier. But it really is just an illusion.

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I can't believe how nit picky some people are . Nothing is ever going to be perfect . O well I'm just going to enjoy the EX and Reg I have and call it a day.

Nothing wrong with being picky.
I think it's always better to strive for better more accurate renditions of these figures.
When people are satisfied with less, there is no incentive for companies to push the envelope.

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Good to hear buddy! I was gonna get 2 of them too but couldnt swing it.

Thanks Joda! Once I get it I need to decide which one to open and which one to keep MIB . The EX is what is going to stay MIB just got to decied which Vader figure I'm going to use . Probably going to use the one I already have to display and just switch with the one I'm getting since it wouldn't have been tampered with.

Vader is truely an awsome piece , I really think SS did a great job and it should be considered for 1:6 figure of the year.

Memnoch
07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Whats great is for some folks the figure is not accurate enough, and yet others would rather see a less accurate figure. I think this shows that there will just NEVER be any pleasing both sides.

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Who in the world would want a less accurate figure??? :google

JustinLuck
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I remember that those who attended the Comic-con were allowed to purchase two Darth Vader exclusives. Did any of you guys do that?

icruise
07-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't have time to take many pictures, but I did get my Vader today and he's quite nice overall. The helmet is not perfect, but it does depend a lot on the viewing angle. It looks much better in person than in many of the pictures I've seen, where the helmet seems too small. And yeah, I think he's bit too tall, but it's certainly the best 1/6 Vader we've seen so far.

http://homepage.mac.com/denkinews/images/toys2/ss_vader1.jpg

Mad Old Lu
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Here are some more pics I took this morning.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J_dhnMgI/AAAAAAAAAZI/L1XIK2F4KuU/s512/IMG_7404.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KAFV_G4I/AAAAAAAAAZY/37ZsZaSqV4g/s512/IMG_7402.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KARUFyDI/AAAAAAAAAZc/WzUu74_5MxM/s512/IMG_7396.JPGhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KAhGAspI/AAAAAAAAAZo/XgHxb-j-eNo/s512/IMG_7399.JPG

I'll have to pose him with my Stormie next!

It really is an incredible figure. He's got a real heft and presence. Sometimes a figure can feel a little slight when handling it, because the body underneath is too skinny and relies on the clothes to beef the figure up. But not Darth! He's solid! Great figure!

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Nothing wrong with being picky.
I think it's always better to strive for better more accurate renditions of these figures.
When people are satisfied with less, there is no incentive for companies to push the envelope.

Well if liking the current Vader is being satisfied with less then good for me!
For a mass produced figure it definatly stands above the rest in pretty much every aspect . Medicoms is decent but SS's is much better executed and $25
less. I'm not even going to bother compairing it to Hasbros.

joda76
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Shrinking a full 1:1 down to 1/6th doesnt seem to be as easy as people think. See HT TDK figure. HT are the best and even they have issues.

I see the errors(Vader) but it doesnt take away how much I like it. Even seeing the nice helmet mod doesnt make me wanna go through the trouble.

Lordscum
07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I remember that those who attended the Comic-con were allowed to purchase two Darth Vader exclusives. Did any of you guys do that?

I got the EX online and have a Regular version coming .

ragacin
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I hadn't combed thru this entire thread yet to see if anyone did this, but I did some comparisions to the ANH helmet to the SSC one and intially I thought the dome was short, but that seems only to be because it is situated too high on the head for ANH. For TESB and ROTJ the placement would be fine, but not for the "I'm gonna kill everyone in my path" look he had in ANH. The dome flare is a little too narrow but, like many have said, in person, it is not as noticable. I think the mods make it look much better, I will have to do so with mine :)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2506/3724091435_8f0a8b09dc.jpg
The figure has a very rich appearance to it, definately a monumental accomplishment for SSC.

Gino
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Shrinking a full 1:1 down to 1/6th doesnt seem to be as easy as people think. See HT TDK figure. HT are the best and even they have issues.

If there is reference of each component from orthographic views (top, front, side, etc...) then it should be a piece of cake for the sculptor to get right.

The problem is, the people sculpting these pieces aren't fanatics about the subject matter. They don't know what is correct outside of the reference provided to them. What happens a lot of the time is, they are provided with incorrect reference materials, or a combination of reference from different films.

For example.

http://upload.hooverae.com/images/SWPgino/sideshowbeltcomp.jpg.

In the above pic, you see screen used belts from ANH and ESB. You can clearly tell that this belt is an amalgamation of both. I'm sure the sculptor didn't even realize they were different.

That being said, none of that accounts for the horrible lack of getting basic proportions correct. These boxes are way too skinny, the silver part of the buckle is way too big. It only has 4 slots when it clearly should have 5.
Just sloppy.

And don't get me started on that atrocious helmet, armor or chestbox.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
It's all about personal perspective.

Those wanting 1:1 detail accurracy on 1/6 figures are always going to feel like the satisfied people are screwing their collecting up because they're not pushing for a better product, but those folks need to realise, just because you want that accurracy, doesn't mean everyone else has to and they probably won't support or speak up about things.

The flip side, some people are ok with whatever's made, and nothing wrong with that, but those folks have to understand that some people know with a bit of attention, some things can be done more accurrately and some folks strive for companies to do that.

I like to think I'm middle ground, sometimes I feel like companies should push further and get things better, usually when I know they're capable of it, and I'm more accepting of what is when I don't know if it's beyond the company or not. Example being, Hot Toys' first Joker having a coat that turned out closer to black and didn't have some of the style to the coat correct, it bothered me to see them fix it on their second figure with the costume because I know they were capable back when the first was made.

Collecting is a personal experience, and the fun of this site is sharing the experience, but you have to be open to those who don't share the same experience as you and come at it from different perspectives.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
If there is reference of each component from orthographic views (top, front, side, etc...) then it should be a piece of cake for the sculptor to get right.

The problem is, the people sculpting these pieces aren't fanatics about the subject matter. They don't know what is correct outside of the reference provided to them. What happens a lot of the time is, they are provided with incorrect reference materials, or a combination of reference from different films.

For example.

http://upload.hooverae.com/images/SWPgino/sideshowbeltcomp.jpg.

In the above pic, you see screen used belts from ANH and ESB. You can clearly tell that this belt is an amalgamation of both. I'm sure the sculptor didn't even realize they were different.

That being said, none of that accounts for the horrible lack of getting basic proportions correct. These boxes are way too skinny, the silver part of the buckle is way too big. It only has 4 slots when it clearly should have 5.
Just sloppy.

And don't get me started on that atrocious helmet, armor or chestbox.

Based on that picture, the SS belt is good enough for a $125 action figure.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
The problem is, the people sculpting these pieces aren't fanatics about the subject matter. They don't know what is correct outside of the reference provided to them. What happens a lot of the time is, they are provided with incorrect reference materials, or a combination of reference from different films

Which brings us back to a fact that most of us have brought up but a few people still don't get it: LFL is full of screw-ups. :banana

ragacin
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh goody. Another expert.

Another???
I thought I was the only one. :D

Nope I am here too :lol
Long time no see.

coolkansaswind
07-15-2009, 02:07 PM
is it that good that your getting a second one?

yes sir ......

Valfar
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
That was well put MaulFan, i think though some comments on this figure make some of us want to throw a few flurries of jabs at the monitor when we read comments like "looks perfect to me,just like in the movie" thats, kind of a offside view..comments like that only register when you are dreaming, i like to look at things in reality.

for better or worse, of course.

And about the belt..yea those are all valid points but, i would have rather seen these adjustments made to the head.

funny, Medicom actually got the five lines instead of four on the belt atleast lol.

Batty
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I don't care what anyone says, to me it's an incredible looking figure. Definitely the best 1/6th Vader I've ever seen.

Gino
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
That was well put MaulFan, i think though some comments on this figure make some of us want to throw a few flurries of jabs at the monitor when we read comments like "looks perfect to me,just like in the movie" thats, kind of a offside view..comments like that only register when you are dreaming, i like to look at things in reality.

for better or worse, of course.

And about the belt..yea those are all valid points but, i would have rather seen these adjustments made to the head.

For sure.
The facemask/helmet is the worst part.
The armor is the second worst, and it being wrong has a very strong impact on the overall look/shape.
The belt is third worst.
And the chestbox is forth.

I just used the belt as an example because it made for quick, easy, and digestible comparisons.

galactiboy
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't care what anyone says, to me it's an incredible looking figure. Definitely the best 1/6th Vader I've ever seen.

You're sheep!!!

Batty
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
You're sheep!!!

Baaaaaa. I prefer to be called sheeple.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I foresee a friend request from Valfar to Gino really soon. :lol

TheObsoleteMan
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm glad I'm not observant enough to pick out every tiny little inaccuracy. Between reading through this thread and the DX TDK Batman one, I think ignorance is bliss.

galactiboy
07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Baaaaaa. I prefer to be called sheeple.

Sorry, you lack of attention to the reality of detail downgrades you from sheeple to sheep :lecture

Batty
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm glad I'm not observant enough to pick out every tiny little inaccuracy. Between reading through this thread and the DX TDK Batman one, I think ignorance is bliss.

Me too. I guess I'm just not that ****.

Sorry, you lack of attention to the reality of detail downgrades you from sheeple to sheep :lecture

Awww, sheep. :(

Gino
07-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I think ignorance is bliss.

Definitely.
The problem is once you see these things, you can't un-see them.
Then they stand out like sore thumbs until you just can't stand looking at them any more.
Maybe not everyone, but at least that's how it is for me.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I foresee a friend request from Valfar to Gino really soon. :lol

Haha!....Gino, be my friend!! save me from these commie SSfreak bastids!! :monkey2

icruise
07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
We had these same arguments in the 1/6 scale Indiana Jones thread, and (over on Rebelscum) in the thread about the 1:1 droids. As I said then, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out inaccuracies. To some degree it works to keep companies like Sideshow honest. But you also have to realize that not everyone cares so deeply about every minute detail of a figure. Is this Vader good enough for most people? Absolutely. Could it be better and more accurate? Yes, and I don't even think it would've cost more money to make it so.

That said, I'm happy with him (and my 1/6 Indy and my 1:1 C-3PO), even though I realize they aren't perfect. We aren't prop enthusiasts who will spend months or years researching and building something. We just want a good looking Vader figure, and we got that in spades.

Gino
07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Good looking is a relative term.
Also, another man's trash is another man's treasure.
Yadda yadda yadda.

However, why not want more for your money? What's wrong with that?
There really is no excuse for some of these things to not be a lot better.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:42 PM

That is because you don't know what accuracy is.

A friend came into my toy room to look at my new Vader figure. I pointed and said there is he is. He said "where?" I said right there, that big black figure in the direct middle of my collection. He says "That isn't Vader. It doesn't look a thing like him. His mask is wrong and the helmet is off. And what is up with the belt and chest box? The shin guards and gloves are off too." :sick

Anakin
07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
A friend came into my toy room to look at my new Vader figure. I pointed and said there is he is. He said "where?" I said right there, that big black figure in the direct middle of my collection. He says "That isn't Vader. It doesn't look a thing like him. His mask is wrong and the helmet is off. And what is up with the belt and chest box? The shin guards and gloves are off too." :sick

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
Best post in the whole thread!!!,..

icruise
07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Yadda yadda yadda.

Again, there's nothing wrong "wanting more accuracy" per se. But as I said in the other threads, I'm not sure what it is that you want us to do. Refuse to buy this Vader? Build one from scratch? Not everyone wants to do that.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 02:48 PM
We had these same arguments in the 1/6 scale Indiana Jones thread, and (over on Rebelscum) in the thread about the 1:1 droids. As I said then, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out inaccuracies. To some degree it works to keep companies like Sideshow honest. But you also have to realize that not everyone cares so deeply about every minute detail of a figure. Is this Vader good enough for most people? Absolutely. Could it be better and more accurate? Yes, and I don't even think it would've cost more money to make it so.

That said, I'm happy with him (and my 1/6 Indy and my 1:1 C-3PO), even though I realize they aren't perfect. We aren't prop enthusiasts who will spend months or years researching and building something. We just want a good looking Vader figure, and we got that in spades.

Actually not everyone that is a Star Wars fan is aware of the costume details so, you get some people fighting with you until the dirty end about something they have no idea about, just to agree with the majority of freaks here and resort to name calling and going off topic to bash you even more because they know they got proven wrong..human nature i guess.

Thats the problem these days with people, they try to act so positive about everything with blind eyes..no wonder we have so many cartoons/comics made into crappy movies that stray from the source material.

Gino
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Again, there's nothing wrong "wanting more accuracy" per se. But as I said in the other threads, I'm not sure what it is that you want us to do. Refuse to buy this Vader? Build one from scratch? Not everyone wants to do that.

I think promoting and petitioning for artists like me to get the gigs to do them for these licensed companies would be a great start. :naughty

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I think promoting and petitioning for artists like me to get the gigs to do them for these licensed companies would be a great start. :naughty

Kewl. Make us some 100% acurate 1/6 scale fully posable droids. And C3PO needs to be shiney.

Coorectghosting
07-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I think it's absolutely fine if people are satisfied with the piece and don't scrutinize every detail.

But I'm confuzzled when people continually insist a detail is accurate when indeed it simply isn't.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 03:40 PM
But I'm confuzzled when people continually insist a detail is accurate when indeed it simply isn't.

Who was doing that?

orbitingx
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Despite its inaccuracies, I'm satisfied with what I paid for.

We finally have a Vader worth displaying....and that's a good thing :cool:

thundergod
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Yadda yadda yadda.

"Trash" !! :lol
Don't like it , don't buy it .
And in my book , you're only an "expert" when someone else calls you one .:rolleyes:

zahal
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Received my Vader yesterday... I love it! It is an amazing figure, best one available. That being said...The helmet dome being too small is still an issue to me...it simply is not ANH...way too short. I own a 1:1 ANH Vader helmet and the differences are glaring. Also the SS Vader suffers from the same issue all 1:6 figures with capes have...the cape doesn't hang naturally. Overall though it still is awesome to have a very nice 1:6 scale Vader to display.

mike

Brooks11b
07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't get mine until tomorrow, but I can't wait. I know there is no right or wrong way to collect and every one buys what makes them happy. But some times I read the complaints about a new figure and I don't see where people get any joy from this hobby. I just imagine people in front of their televisions with a micrometer snarling at the garbage companies like SS and HT foist on us suckers.

Kuzeh
07-15-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't mean to be rude, because not long ago something similar happened with the Indiana Jones figure...but

You know what's funny... some "experts" don't even realize what "mass production" involves...
The fact that you can recreate a 100% accurate full scale suit doesn't qualify you as a Toy Designer or Engineer... sorry...
I understand that this figure could be more accurate, even I don't like a few things... but you don't know the properties of the materials needed to produce this, molds and castings, tailoring, and LFL approvals... I personally think that SS could've done better, but to go as far as to say that you could've helped them release a better product is pretty arrogant... no offense...
:peace

Not too long ago, Master Replicas hired hardcore Ghosthead prop-builders to develop Ghostbusters Protonpack replicas... you know what happened?...
the project tanked because it wasn't feasible to produce those as a mass market item...

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

onethousandmasks
07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Actually not everyone that is a Star Wars fan is aware of the costume details so, you get some people fighting with you until the dirty end about something they have no idea about, just to agree with the majority of freaks here and resort to name calling and going off topic to bash you even more because they know they got proven wrong..human nature i guess.

Thats the problem these days with people, they try to act so positive about everything with blind eyes..no wonder we have so many cartoons/comics made into crappy movies that stray from the source material.

Nah, most fight are of the SS vs Medi nature.

Brooks11b
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Well, I do understand what he is saying. I for example would never in a zillion years have noticed that Vader's belt buckle was wrong. But it would not hurt SS to have a guy like Gino to just show things to as a final quality control. I have been in the Army for 19 years and I see all kinds of stuff with military uniforms in movies that drives me just nuts. Most people would never notice the things that I would catch, but I often wonder why Hollywood could not just show their stuff to one old Sergeant first and he can say, no that beret is jacked.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't mean to be rude, because not long ago something similar happened with the Indiana Jones figure...but

You know what's funny... some "experts" don't even realize what "mass production" involves...
The fact that you can recreate a 100% accurate full scale suit doesn't qualify you as a Toy Designer or Engineer... sorry...
I understand that this figure could be more accurate, even I don't like a few things... but you don't know the properties of the materials needed to produce this, molds and castings, tailoring, and LFL approvals... I personally think that SS could've done better, but to go as far as to say that you could've helped them release a better product is pretty arrogant... no offense...

Not too long ago, Master Replicas hired hardcore Ghosthead prop-builders to develop Ghostbusters Protonpack replicas... you know what happened?...
the project tanked because it wasn't feasible to produce those as a mass market item...

Well said. Sideshow commented on changes to the Stormtrooper helmet or Clonetrooper, one of those, saying some of the design was because of the mold making and production process. There's much we don't know about what it takes to deliver these figures to us that could result in why it's not a dead on 100% match to the source, what source material they're provided to go off of, what dictation the license holder gives, what is or isn't approved by the license holder, what has to be done to make things happen within the production means available to the company, how much control they have over the production by outsourcing production to another country.

It's one thing to critique a piece for not being right, but I think it's pretty bold to feel you could be the savior of the company because of your attention to detail, attention to detail could be the last reason behind details being missing or off. We know too little to make any assumption as to why things happen, all we can do is see they've happened and form an opinion as to whether it bothers us or not, etc.

I think it's literally impossible to make a 1/6 figurine exact in detail to the 1:1 source. I've never seen anything, not even the best of figures, is 100% perfection, some things just will never happen because of limitations.

BlueLeader
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, I do understand what he is saying. I for example would never in a zillion years have noticed that Vader's belt buckle was wrong. But it would not hurt SS to have a guy like Gino to just show things to as a final quality control. I have been in the Army for 19 years and I see all kinds of stuff with military uniforms in movies that drives me just nuts. Most people would never notice the things that I would catch, but I often wonder why Hollywood could not just show their stuff to one old Sergeant first and he can say, no that beret is jacked.

I hear what you are saying, as a retired Air Force Officer I frequently see supposed US Military uniforms in movies and shows that are seriously inaccurate. Especially in SyFy movies, the Canadians can never get it right:lol
Back on topic, I got my Ex Vader and am seriously disappointed in the Helmet and it's inaccuracies:eek:

Kuzeh
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
BTW,
Sideshow just posted this...

Does Sideshow Collectibles ever make changes to products before they are actually released/put into production? Does Sideshow read and act upon customer feedback? Or by the time the prototype pictures are released is it too late to change anything on SS’s part and what we see is what we get?

This is the best question we’ve received in ages - thank you! We pay VERY close attention to customer feedback, via this Q & A, the forums, and the e-mails sent to our customer service and returns departments.

When products are revealed, it is often the prototype featured in the images - meaning that you are seeing our original artwork. Things often do change with prototypes, as the artwork is adjusted based on licensing feedback, factory feedback, and the artistic guidance of our creative staff and Creative Director. And yes, customer feedback has been instrumental on occasion - some collectors have the uncanny ability to find reference materials that were not available from our official or unofficial sources, which do help us to make important revisions and corrections.

However, more and more often these days, you are seeing images of pre-production samples - meaning that the item is a duplicate of our original artwork, representing an early stage of the manufacturing process. We prefer to reveal the product using images of the pre-production sample rather than the original prototype, when possible, because it is more accurate to the appearance of the final product. In these cases, customer feedback can be helpful with regards to paint and other cosmetic details, but it is usually too late to make changes to the design or sculpt - we are too far along in the process to make changes in the setup and manufacturing unless critically necessary, always at great cost and resulting in delays in the product delivery.

While we do greatly appreciate the feedback from our collectors, we do ‘filter’ the input. We tend to pay more attention to the civilized discussions and e-mails, and appreciate constructive criticism. Constructive conversations, i.e. the ongoing ‘doll dot’ campaign and others - do impress us. When possible, we will even join in on these types of threads and discussions.

On the flip side, there are personalities on the forum boards that seem to be entirely negative and even downright derogatory, and we give their posts and comments little time or thought. Although we respect all opinions, even the negative, we hope that you’ll choose the wording of your criticisms in way that shows respect to the artists and staff involved in the process. Our representatives tend to avoid forum discussions if the participants are abusive, hostile or profane - it benefits neither party. If you want us to give your feedback due consideration, we also recommend to limit your use of the ‘puke’ smiley emote, the ‘eye-roll’ emote, and the words FAIL or PASS. It’s not the sort of feedback that we typically share with the key decision-making staff.

We have internal unanimous agreement to be more open with you, to share more of our process and thoughts with you - so fire away with your questions and feedback! We will post the Ask Sideshow answers as often as you submit questions in a respectful fashion, and you’ll see more teases and reveals of our projects in development in the future! As we share information earlier and earlier in the process, your comments will be timelier to our development and may have greater impact, and we hope that you enjoy participating a bit more in our creative endeavors!

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
They were impressed by my Doll-dot campain! :dance

Gino
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Understandable and I agree entirely (except for the part about not have been able to help them release a better product).
I've been an Art Director for the last 11 years and my degree is in industrial design. I am completely knowledgeable about materials and production processes and have a couple years experience working for a product design firm at the beginning of my career. I understand the 'rules' of mass production (including it's pitfalls, limitations) quite well. Well enough to realize who is dropping the ball and where.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not your average joe prop collector.
I know people who have great knowledge of the subject matter (Star Wars costumes & props), and people with lots of experience and knowledge of the the production world, but other than me, I don't know anyone else who is fully is in touch with both of those worlds.
That's why you see so many missed opportunities in the licensed world of Star Wars collectables.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 05:58 PM
They were impressed by my Doll-dot campain! :dance

Impressed, but they're not listening :(....yet.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Yet.... I think they really are considering the issue though. :rock

Kuzeh
07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Understandable and I agree entirely (except for the part about not have been able to help them release a better product).
I've been an Art Director for the last 11 years and my degree is in industrial design. I am completely knowledgeable about materials and production processes and have a couple years experience working for a product design firm at the beginning of my career. I understand the 'rules' of mass production (including it's pitfalls, limitations) quite well. Well enough to realize who is dropping the ball and where.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not your average joe prop collector.
I know people who have great knowledge of the subject matter (Star Wars costumes & props), and people with lots of experience and knowledge of the the production world, but other than me, I don't know anyone else who is fully is in touch with both of those worlds.
That's why you see so many missed opportunities in the licensed world of Star Wars collectables.

Dude,
I'm an industrial designer too... but I don't feel qualified to do Toy design out of the blue... Come on!!!
I'm sure I would be able to learn and come up with some great proposals and ideas, but to diss their work completely is way too arrogant IMO... sorry...
:peace...

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM

I hope so, it's not an obnoxious commentary, it's actually about seeing the quality step up another notch :rock

icruise
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM

No? Don't see a doll dot on Vader, do you? :lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Dude,
I'm an industrial designer too... but I don't feel qualified to do Toy design out of the blue... Come on!!!
I'm sure I would be able to learn and come up with some great proposals and ideas, but to diss their work completely is way too arrogant IMO... sorry...
:peace...

Sorry you see it that way, it's not my intention.
There wasn't anything that I said that was incorrect and I stand by my assertions.

AngryEwok
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
It'd be a tad more professional to send your resume directly to SSC. No offense, just sayin'...

:monkey1

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
None taken.
I'm sure they know how to get in touch with me if they wanted to.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
If Sideshow does a ESB Vader and the shoulder bells are not black i swear!! i am going to hold someone hostage!!. :lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:20 PM
What's an ESB Vader?

Just kidding.
:lol

Shalamar
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I have the figure in hand, and like others have said, it is better looking in hand, than it is in person. I'm quite pleased with it, though I might re-adjust the dome to a more correct fit.

I know this means I'm not a good Vader person, with no knowledge and a patched together crap of a Vader costume to some, but I enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to see what Sideshow will do with the ESB and ROTJ Vaders. I want the ROTJ mainly to match my costume.

FQRizzo
07-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I have the figure in hand, and like others have said, it is better looking in hand, than it is in person. I'm quite pleased with it, though I might re-adjust the dome to a more correct fit.

I know this means I'm not a good Vader person, with no knowledge and a patched together crap of a Vader costume to some, but I enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to see what Sideshow will do with the ESB and ROTJ Vaders. I want the ROTJ mainly to match my costume.

You like it? You must be some kind of ignorant dumbass...like me. :lol :monkey3

Memnoch
07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I love being ignorant and not arrogant.

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I hate confidence being mistaken for arrogance.
There's a difference.

Memnoch
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Did I say your name? No, I didnt. There is a lot of arrogance from those that collect and know the minutia of 1:1 stuff and they act as if those of us that like the stuff how it came out are stupid for that.

Shalamar
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
You like it? You must be some kind of ignorant dumbass...like me. :lol :monkey3

I know. I know the flaws, but accept them. Likely changes due to LFL, and production issues.

I also have this, a piece of garbage:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/Shalamar01/vader2.jpg
I need new gloves, badly, but they are hard to find. The dome just got a re-paint, and I need some longer shins. My legs are long, even for my height.

kl241
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I hate confidence being mistaken for arrogance.
There's a difference.

"Your overconfidence will be your undoing."

http://www.freewebs.com/joftemple/260px-Luke_Skywalker_Ep6_DVD.jpg

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Memnoch, my comment wasn't in response to you.
Just a general statement since someone else had previously labeled me as arrogant.

Deak Starkiller
07-15-2009, 06:47 PM
"Your overconfidence will be your undoing."

http://www.freewebs.com/joftemple/260px-Luke_Skywalker_Ep6_DVD.jpg

:lecture Here let me be that guy...ahem actually its "Your overconfidence is your weakness." Sorry. :duff

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Ha ha. What a dork.

Just kidding, I was going to post that too but you beat me to it. :D

Deak Starkiller
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I know. I know the flaws, but accept them. Likely changes due to LFL, and production issues.
I also have this, a piece of garbage:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/Shalamar01/vader2.jpg
I need new gloves, badly, but they are hard to find. The dome just got a re-paint, and I need some longer shins. My legs are long, even for my height.

:nono What kind of talk is that? And you sir are QFT! :lecture

Deak Starkiller
07-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Ha ha. What a dork.

Just kidding, I was going to post that too but you beat me to it. :D

Takes one to know one. :duff Nice site btw, I liked your behind the prop stories.

Anakin
07-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Memnoch, my comment wasn't in response to you.
Just a general statement since someone else had previously labeled me as arrogant.

arrogant indeed,....do you really need to pop in every single Star Wars thread to point out what's wrong with these pieces??? I mean c'mon,.. this is a figure and it looks great for what it is....sorry but i really doubt you could have done any better,.,,,.not at this scale,... it's SOO easy to point the fingers now that it's done and finished...,,..

jedibear
07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Here are some more pics I took this morning.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3J_dhnMgI/AAAAAAAAAZI/L1XIK2F4KuU/s512/IMG_7404.JPG http://lh5.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KAFV_G4I/AAAAAAAAAZY/37ZsZaSqV4g/s512/IMG_7402.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KARUFyDI/AAAAAAAAAZc/WzUu74_5MxM/s512/IMG_7396.JPG http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e-vNNZsChlA/Sl3KAhGAspI/AAAAAAAAAZo/XgHxb-j-eNo/s512/IMG_7399.JPG

I'll have to pose him with my Stormie next!

It really is an incredible figure. He's got a real heft and presence. Sometimes a figure can feel a little slight when handling it, because the body underneath is too skinny and relies on the clothes to beef the figure up. But not Darth! He's solid! Great figure!

Great shots, Jim! He does looks awesome...
Hope to add a few of my own in the next couple of weeks now that my WL for a regular one just converted to an order...

Keep that cool shots coming, folks!

....and while the conversation has taken a somewhat "spirited" tone...let's keep it from spinning out of control like a certain TIE fighter knocked away from an about-to-explode Death Star...please keep it civil! Thanks...

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Takes one to know one. :duff Nice site btw, I liked your behind the prop stories.

I appreciate that.
It really does need updating.
Especially the yoda, maul, and emperor pages.

Gino
07-15-2009, 06:57 PM
it's SOO easy to point the fingers now that it's done and finished...,,..

Well I would have pointed fingers during it's development if I had the opportunity.
And it would have turned out A LOT more accurate.
That's kind of my whole point.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
And it would have turned out A LOT more accurate.

It may have, but you'd have to know why it's innaccurrate to say if you could have changed that.

Anakin
07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Well I would have pointed fingers during it's development if I had the opportunity.
That's kind of my whole point.

but you did NOT work on the development,... so why you need to sell your self in every single star wars site out there offering your services???,.. if you are that good,.. sideshow will notice you,.. if they didn't yet maybe is cause you are not as good as you think,...just saying, :angelsmil

Batty
07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Not to derail the already derailed photo thread, but did you ever post your video, Marc?

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Not to derail the already derailed photo thread, but did you ever post your video, Marc?

No. :wave

Not the real one I took initially. I haven't been able to find my power chord. :lol

Valfar
07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
arrogant indeed,....do you really need to pop in every single Star Wars thread to point out what's wrong with these pieces??? I mean c'mon,.. this is a figure and it looks great for what it is....sorry but i really doubt you could have done any better,.,,,.not at this scale,... it's SOO easy to point the fingers now that it's done and finished...,,..

And its soo common to hear guys like you brush off ones opinion with this sort of reply..Gino just made some comments on what he felt was off on this figure, don't get your panties in a knot over someones comment on something he is a little more passionate about then you..and don't pull that "doubt you could have done any better" crap..Marmit made a more accurate stormtrooper like what 10 years ago? and gave us both Hero and Stunt versions...do you not think the helmets on 1/6th Star Wars characters should have got better or atleast on par to something that came out so long ago?..yea the LFL approval may have played a part in SSC not pulling off more accurate figures but, why didn't LFL get in the way of Marmit for making such a better looking Stormie?..was it because they were kits? and not 1/6th figures?.

Gino
07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
if they didn't yet maybe is cause you are not as good as you think,...just saying, :angelsmil

I suppose this is one of those times I should just let my work speak for itself.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
...why didn't LFL get in the way of Marmit for making such a better looking Stormie?..was it because they were kits? and not 1/6th figures?.

In Asia they go through someone else... maybe a different branch of LFL? I know asian based companies don't go through the same approval processes (ie work is not submitted to the same people) which their American based counterparts do.

I think people on both sides are posting with rather too much presumption.

But Gino's 1:1 collection is not ****.

Shalamar
07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
:nono What kind of talk is that? And you sir are QFT! :lecture

I'm an evil vile costumer. Ask any of the experts, they'll tell you my outfit is crap. :lol

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't think Gino's knowledge of the costuming is questionable, but I think we as collectors know far too little about Sideshow's production processes to comment as to whether simply knowing the details of a costume and being able to show and point out those to the company could mean the difference between a more or less accurrate figure.

The best thing to do would be to do like we do here with Hot Toys, piece together some photographs stating your case, submit it through proper channels, and see what happens.

Valfar
In Asia they go through someone else... maybe a different branch of LFL? I know asian based companies don't go through the same approval processes (ie work is not submitted to the same people) which their American based counterparts do.

I think people on both sides are posting with rather too much presumption.

But Gino's 1:1 collection is not ****.

Oh yea..that was brought up awhile ago..forgot about that, you would think though with how much bigger Star Wars was in North America..we would get better figures here..well, more true to the films. Just look at the vintage line, we got good versions of kenner figures here while other countries like brazil and in parts of Europe they got figures that looked like bootleg versions that were still Kenner.

Brent72
Gino,

I've followed your work over at The RPF for a long time and even posted in your other thread here that I think you're the gold standard when it comes to life-size SW props.

Having said that, I do think you're being a bit unreasonable when it comes to the 1/6 Vader. I've definitely been one of the most vocal critics of the helmet on this figure and even now that I have it in hand I still feel it doesn't look right. Other than that, however, I think this is probably the best 1/6 Star Wars figure SS has done in the four years they've been making these things. All of the other things you've pointed(belt, chest box, outfit, etc) are perfectly fine with me and I'm a very harsh critic. Not as harsh as you obviously, but I'm still pretty tough on SS when it comes to accuracy. Basically, I don't think it's possible to make a perfect 1/6 figure and SS(or any other company for that matter) will never satisfy everyone. If they had just done the damn helmet right this would have been a grand slam 10 out of 10 in my book. Obviously you don't agree, but I think you'll definitely find yourself in the minority on this one.

Gino
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Really, just the helmet for a 10 out of 10??
That armor is awful.

I feel there is no excuse under the sun for sculpted pieces to be so incorrect.
I'm more forgiving on fabric pieces (as their scale doesn't always translate) but making a rectangle when it should be a square is just sloppy.

My issue is with the sculpts, and the people who approve them before going into production.

Shai
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Gino..if you are that talented why settle working for little Sideshow...???

Gino
07-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Why, what do you have in mind?
I never said it was my goal to work with sideshow.

Besides it takes a lot more than talent and knowledge to have a go at something.

espino419
07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
i finally found a vid on darth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-aJ8HDGuE

Kuzeh
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
My issue is with the sculpts, and the people who approve them before going into production.

Hate to brake the news to you... but...guess who approves it... LFL
Maybe you can go after them?... :rolleyes:

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I mean the people who approve it BEFORE LFL sees it.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I mean the people who approve it BEFORE LFL sees it.

Sometimes those guys make the best call and LFL doesn't agree. Sideshow greenlit a headsculpt from Andy B. for Mace Windu that had a really nice Mace Windu likeness, LFL made Andy tweak the sculpt to have more "essence" and the result was a lesser likeness.

This is why it's hard to say why things that don't look accurrate are that way, there's a whole lot of behind the scenes things that have to happen to take a figure from prototype to our shelves, and sometimes it may just be as simple as messing up and no one catching it, and other times it may be necessity or artisitc license choice for some purpose, or dictation from license holder, or conflict with the production factory. Lots of reasons behind why what we get looks like it does.

Sideshow's prototype Vader dome was much better and more accurrate, even if not 100% accurrate, but the production one is different, we don't know why, but they had it more right to begin with, so something uncontrollable had to result in the change.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Hate to brake the news to you... but...guess who approves it... LFL
Maybe you can go after them?... :rolleyes:

Oh really, well then...why did EPIII Obi-wan look nothing like Ewan but, the AOTC figure does?..why wouldn't LFL say.."nope..looks too much like the actor" sorry!..or was that just a bad sculpt that got through? or was it paint apps that lost the likeness?, i doubt it.

SS best figure as we all know..would be ANH Obi-Wan...i have nothing to pick on that figure about lol, other then the buck body.

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Sure, I get that.
But lets be frank here.
In the case of THIS vader and the sculpt of the helmet, armor, chestbox, and belt, the only reason they came out the way they did was due to the sculptor, or his/her project manager, not being familiar enough with the subject matter to notice just how off the sculpts were to the original pieces.

kl241
07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Gino, can you make me a pizza? :D

http://www.classiccalifornia.com/images/dining/Ginos.jpg

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Sweet! :lol
Where is that?

What's a matta you?

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Sure, I get that.
But lets be frank here.
In the case of THIS vader and the sculpt of the helmet, armor, chestbox, and belt, the only reason they came out the way they did was due to the sculptor, or his/her project manager, not being familiar enough with the subject matter to notice just how off the sculpts were to the original pieces.

You assume that, but unless you were there on hand to follow everything in the process of making those, you have no clue why they are what they are, it's speculation. Everything regarding why things are off or whatever is pure speculation unless we hear something direct from the people involved in the making.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh really, well then...why did EPIII Obi-wan look nothing like Ewan but, the AOTC figure does?..why wouldn't LFL say.."nope..looks too much like the actor" sorry!..or was that just a bad sculpt that got through? or was it paint apps that lost the likeness?, i doubt it.

What are you trying to get at with this statement?

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah, like they are going to take responsibility for poor sculpts.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
They may not, but none of us are in position to say why things are wrong, we can spot that they are wrong or aren't, but we are in no position to say why, just speculate.

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
In the end, the reason is irrelevant.

Your end product is a reflection of your brand.
If it comes out wrong, you have to take responsibility for it instead of pointing the finger at the factory, or LFL licensing, etc...

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
How does that work.

Suppose this scenario. Sideshow presents the Vader figure to LFL for approval to sell, it's 100% accurrate to the ANH costume. LFL's people say you have to move this here, do this and do that, otherwise we will not permit you to sell the figure.

What is Sideshow to do in that case, they're caught by the balls, it's do what the people they have to serve first and foremost want or they can't sell the figure and collectors don't get the figure. Do we say fine, we don't need Vader because LFL wants it innaccurrate and Sideshow is standing by their product and refusing to sell anything less than 100% accurrate.

There is no way for a company in this business to be in 100% control of their product, and sometimes products suffer because of that.

AngryEwok
07-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Anyone else seeing a " . " at the bottom of Gino's posts? Like so,

FlyAndFight
07-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I was excited to receive my Vader today but when I got home and removed him from the box, I found one of his "tusks" tips broken. I searched but couldn't find the missing bit. I would have glued it back in and been fine with it. But now it's bugging the hell out of me. Back it goes to SS, I guess. Very fustrating.

Besides the SIM, this will be my first return to SS.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I sure hope Sideshow's reading this thread regarding the broken tusks, with so many people taking the glue route, I'd hate for SSC to not see it's a pretty big issue seemingly, hopefully future Vaders will be packed differently to ensure no breakage, they're so small, it is something easily broke with a little rocking around in the box during shipping, or even as it's packed into the box before it even ships.

The couple times my Vader took a tumble during photographing, I got so scared of him falling face first because I knew it'd be the end of his tusks.

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
How does that work.

Suppose this scenario. Sideshow presents the Vader figure to LFL for approval to sell, it's 100% accurrate to the ANH costume. LFL's people say you have to move this here, do this and do that, otherwise we will not permit you to sell the figure.

What is Sideshow to do in that case, they're caught by the balls, it's do what the people they have to serve first and foremost want or they can't sell the figure and collectors don't get the figure. Do we say fine, we don't need Vader because LFL wants it innaccurrate and Sideshow is standing by their product and refusing to sell anything less than 100% accurrate.

There is no way for a company in this business to be in 100% control of their product, and sometimes products suffer because of that.

Well as the project manager, I would question the motives of why LFL would want to take something that is correct (lets say an item that is square in shape) and make it a rectangle?

What could possibly be their motive for asking for such a change?

Since when do companies who pride themselves in making accurate pieces hand over the reigns to LFL licensing to make artistic decisions on their product? ESPECIALLY when that company's viability is dependent on being able to market these pieces as accurately as possible?
Are they just too p**** to push back a little?

My argument to LFL would be that in doing so would inhibit our ability as a company to correctly market the piece as an authentic representation and would adversely affect the publics value perception of the piece and ultimately end up reflecting in potentially less sales.

ragacin
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
What MaulFan said is true. SSC does not own the character, LFL does. Gino, most of your stuff is one off's and not licenced so you can make it as accurate and detailed as you want. You only have to answer to yourself. SSC does not have that luxury. The helmet was better when it was shown at SDCC last year and we don't know why it was changed. So even if you had been involved in the process of the 1/6 Vader, it may still have come out looking like it did. You, me and other 1/1 Vader guys KNOW what's wrong, but in the 1/6 world, especially with licenced stuff, ya have to be a bit more forgiving. Not to say that suggestions for improvements to SSC product are not welcomed, but sometimes the suggestion won't happen for one reason or another. Hot Toys listens very much to the people on this board and OSW, but still things are not possible in mass production that are doable in one off's. The "True" 1/6 size factor is always an issue because standardized bodies are used. The SSC Vader is actually taller than the Hot Toys Predators which is impossible in "reality" as Prowse was 6' 7" and Kevin Peter Hall was almost 7' 3" and Ian Whyte is 7' 1" and the Pred noggin adds a lot more than the Vader helmet to the height. The fact that Sideshow made a specialized body for Vader is a vast improvement over what was done in the past like Medicom just adding extenders to the legs (not a RAH bash :lol).

My argument to LFL would be that in doing so would inhibit our ability as a company to correctly market the piece as an authentic representation and would adversely affect the publics value perception of the piece and ultimately end up reflecting in potentially less sales.
The problem with this statement is that the public doesn't get into the minutia of the details as much as the hardcore people do. The hardcore represents maybe 1% of your purchasing group, the other % is the "public", who are you going to market to for the most profit? Look thru the thread, most people are happy with the Vader, I am as well, despite it's small shortcomings. The visual impact of the figure is there and THAT is what people like. Do you even have one? :)

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Well as the project manager, I would question the motives of why LFL would want to take something that is correct (lets say an item that is square in shape) and make it a rectangle?

What could possibly be their motive for asking for such a change?

Referencing the Mace Windu incident, why choose to change a sculpt with a nice likeness to give it an emotional expression that doesn't really represent the character much as portrayed in the films and hides the likeness that was there? Makes no sense to me, and yet, they did it. I'm not sure what the specifics are, but when I got to this site, I heard that some things on the Vader PF were done the way they were because of LFL saying to do so.

Since when do companies who pride themselves in making accurate pieces hand over the reigns to LFL licensing to make artistic decisions on their product? ESPECIALLY when that company's viability is dependent on being able to market these pieces as accurately as possible?
Are they just too p**** to push back a little?[

I'm sure they do push back at times, and I'm sure it's such a pissing match, they choose the things to fight back over carefully, 5 slits in Vader's belt vs. an Indy head that looks like Ford or one that doesn't, the Indy head issue is more worth getting into a beef with LFL about.

Bottom line, as much as Sideshow is artists and people who love this stuff, it is also a business, it's not in their best interest to piss off a company whose properties are 2 of your biggest selling licenses.

They may very well have made this argument, we don't know, but LFL's people wanted Mace Windu to be more an essence of Mace than dead on Samuel L. Jackson portrait so they enforced changes to the sculpt, why would they do that, it hasn't made sense to me ever, but they did.

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:52 PM
@Ragacin

I have to call BS on that one.

There is no limitation to sculpting a very accurate 1/6th scale chestbox, belt, or chest armor.

With the helmet, I could see potential issues in production, but nothing that couldn't be worked out. I mean damn, look at the 12" vader from 1978. They did it back then. BS excuses.

(Not that that helmet is perfect, but crap tons better than this latest effort in terms of the sculpt/assembly).

Valfar
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I am just going to say, when we got the Stormie from SS..i knew right then and there that Vader was going to have some issues as well..but, i was shocked to see how well the Utapau Clone came out.

IrishJedi
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Gino, I was going to warn you against even visiting this thread... :lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't know anything about the mace windu figure fiasco.
Although I am more understanding about them interjecting about a facial expression vs. make the accurate square an inaccurate rectangle.

I don't believe for one second that LFL was the cause for the sculpts on this Vader figure turning out as poorly as they did.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
The helmet was better when it was shown at SDCC last year and we don't know why it was changed. So even if you had been involved in the process of the 1/6 Vader, it may still have come out looking like it did.

Precisely.

Not to say that suggestions for improvements to SSC product are not welcomed, but sometimes the suggestion won't happen for one reason or another.

Exactly, if you spot wrong things, submit images and written suggestions about things you know that could help it be more accurrate, if it's things they didn't know, the product likely will be more accurrate, and if it's things they knew but for some reason just can't make the collectible live up to it, we just have to live with that.

We are in absolutely no position to say with any certainty why things turn out the way they do. We can guess, and would be best off expressing those notions as just that.

The SSC Vader is actually taller than the Hot Toys Predators which is impossible in "reality" as Prowse was 6' 7" and Kevin Peter Hall was almost 7' 3" and Ian Whyte is 7' 1" and the Pred noggin adds a lot more than the Vader helmet to the height.

That's actually a point against HT's Predators, Stan Winston commented that when all was said and done, KPH was about 8' in the Predator suit, making a 1/6 Predator 16" tall and HT's only being around 14 or less, so Vader's about right, the Predators are off.

Gino
07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Gino, I was going to warn you against even visiting this thread... :lol

Like a moth to the flame. :lol

IrishJedi
07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Like a moth to the flame. :lol

I love Sideshow (and many of the folks on this board). God love 'em all. But, trust me, you'll be among the small minority in your quest for utmost accuracy and attention to detail around here. Be careful! :lol

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm all for pursuit of accurracy, down to small detail, and like I said, submit photos and write up things you spot and get it to Sideshow or whoever's making the product and maybe something can be done.

I just don't believe in the assumption that if something's off, it can only be because it just was done wrong, it could be that, but I've learned enough about behind the scenes stuff in this business over the past few years to know that there are other factors that can result in things being off. There are a lot of factors that go into things being off, and without word from the people behind it, all we can ever do is assume, but never know for certain.

Hot Toys' Two-Face figure is innaccurrate on the burnt side, all I did was pass along photos of him from the film to suggest corrections.

JustinLuck
07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I believe the inaccuracies are more about LFL not seeing them or perhaps not caring. For instance, the Clone helmet was approved with a number of geometric problems. Shatterer of Dreams said that LFL approved that sculpt. He didn't say LFL made them change it to that. He also said that he did not notice the inaccuracies until forum members pointed it out to him. So I think more often than not, inaccuracies slip by LFL's approval process and that is why they end up in the final product. I'm shocked people are making a stink about the helmet (that appears to be fixable with a dremel and a hairdryer) and yet are not concerned that Sideshow is most likely going to continue using the same Clone helmet that has many more problems in its design.

Fortunately, Sideshow has hired the more than talented Trevor Grove and that is why the realism in the human head sculpts has increased dramatically. But I don't think likeness has anything to do with LFL's decisions. In the case of Mace Windu, I'm willing to bet LFL told Andy to give Mace more emotion in the expression. Andy wasn't going to get paid to make a new headsculpt from scratch, so he had to work with the pre-existing design and made the changes to the furrows of the brow that consequently lessened SLJ's likeness.

ragacin
07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
That's actually a point against HT's Predators, Stan Winston commented that when all was said and done, KPH was about 8' in the Predator suit, making a 1/6 Predator 16" tall and HT's only being around 14 or less, so Vader's about right, the Predators are off.
Whoops.:o
Gino, I refute the BS call. My point remains that we do not know the intimate details that went into the figure and my main thrust is that what LFL decided as the figures proportions, details etc, SSC had to comply or not produce it because it is LFL's character. No one here (except someone who worked on the figure) can say with 100% certainty what LFL said to do. Maybe LFL thought the rectangular belt boxes looked better so they said to do them that way, I dunno. Heck, even some of the prop guys that MADE the stuff don't recall what it looked like 100%, so you think a pencil pusher at LFL is gonna know?? :lol Again, my point was/is that the general public, SSC's biggest buying percentage, does not KNOW that the belt boxes etc are wrong, they know they like the figure.
I am not saying that your observations about the figure are incorrect, they are, but that isn't the argument.

Gino
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
and like I said, submit photos and write up things you spot and get it to Sideshow or whoever's making the product and maybe something can be done.

I wise man once said, "If you're good at something never do it for free".

kl241
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I wise man once said, "If you're good at something never do it for free".

Chris Howes?

DarthTrafford
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
My exclusive :vader arrived at my house at 6:23pm by UPS tonight.
More than 13 hours after it was sent out for delivery.
It was so worth the wait!
This figure is amazing!
At 1st I thought the right "tusk" on his mask was broken but then remembered the review and it's just not painted.
It doesn't bother me in the least.
I don't think there's any thing wrong with his mask or helmet,it looks awesome!
If you didn't order this figure, go out and buy it at your local comic book or collectibles store.
It's a MUST have!

I have a question for all of you who own one.
What hand are you displaying the lightsaber in?
I'm displaying it in his left,so I can use the Force hands on the right side.
Also when I was younger I met Darth Vader at a local mall and he signed an autograph with his left hand and I was thrilled because I'm a Southpaw too!

Gino
07-15-2009, 09:16 PM
In the films, he is right handed and only holds the saber with his right hand or both at the same time.

Shalamar
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I predict that the freaks board will soon devolve into 'Sideshow sucks! And has crappy sculptors because of it!'. I LIKE sideshows products. I like accuracy, but I can live without it. Where I can't, I don't buy the products, or I modify them.

I trust in Sideshow to do what they can, and I really do appreciate the sculptors. They've done some great work. It is a shame to see such negative comments being said about them. Criticism, but not constructive.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Criticism, but not constructive.

Criticism comes free, constructive comments have a price :rolleyes:

Wor-Gar
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Put simply, it may not be the best ANH Vader... but it's an amazing VADER!

Shalamar
07-15-2009, 09:26 PM

And yet, why won't these companies hire people like that?

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
No clue, but when I get my improved DX Joker, Batman and Marcus Wright figures, I'll thank the fine folks here for submitting their constructive criticisms to Hot Toys :lol

Gino
07-15-2009, 09:30 PM

What's so wrong with that?

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Gino..if you are that talented why settle working for little Sideshow...???

It's easier to sit at a computer and mock them on the internets!!

IrishJedi
07-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh, boy... here we go...

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
What's so wrong with that?

When many folks around here freely offer up suggestions and get products improved, it's a bit of a turn off to see someone pointing out everything wrong but not be willing to help improve things without a fee. There was entire thread here devoted to pointing out corrections on the ROTS Clone helmet, full of folks freely offering graphics and reference with the goal of a better product, people working together for the benefit of everyone. I enjoy seeing the community here come together for the good of everyone, not so much people thinking for themselves, which has been a downward trend at this site, the "community" aspect has faded a lot in the past year or two.

Gino
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm not mocking them.
Just providing some perspective from the 'things could be better' side.

Shai
07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
you're mocking the compagny that may hire you....:horror:horror:horror

Shai
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Gino, under your avatar you should write: '' THE CONSULTANT''

Gino
07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
When many folks around here freely offer up suggestions and get products improved, it's a bit of a turn off to see someone pointing out everything wrong but not be willing to help improve things without a fee. There was entire thread here devoted to pointing out corrections on the ROTS Clone helmet, full of folks freely offering graphics and reference with the goal of a better product, people working together for the benefit of everyone. I enjoy seeing the community here come together for the good of everyone, not so much people thinking for themselves, which has been a downward trend at this site, the "community" aspect has faded a lot in the past year or two.

Next time I go to the dentist, I'll be sure to lay that "where's the community spirit" on him to see if he'll feel bad and not charge me for his years of study and expertise. If he still says no, then he'll be one big jerk in my eyes.

It's one thing to be in it solely for the money, vs. not wanting to have your expertise taken advantage of.
Companies hire consultants all the time. It's no big deal. Sometimes, if they like them and feel they add value to the cause, they even invite them to become part of the team.
But to work for free is asking a bit much don't you think?
I'm not talking about posting some photo comparisons on a forum. I'm referring to something much more in-depth and involved.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
It's one thing to be in it for the money, vs. not wanting to have your expertise taken advantage of.
Companies hire consultants all the time. It's no big deal. Sometimes, if they like them and feel they add value to the cause, they even invite them to become part of the team.
I'm not talking about posting some photo comparisons on a forum. I'm referring to something much more in-depth and involved.

Then talk to Sideshow about getting a job with them or being a freelance consultant.

In my experience here, there's been two types of people to comment on innaccurracies, ones who just like to ^^^^^, put things down and start fights, and ones who make comments but also efforts to make improvements.

You come in here acting like you have all the answers and could be a big help, but essentially you're making a plea to Sideshow to help them, but not this community, so I say send your commentary to Sideshow, they're the ones that'll benefit from it.

Look at it from our point of view. Many of us have been members here for years, and I know I have, and many others too, benefitted from people with knowledge such as yours coming forward and sharing it with us freely as part of community working towards having better collections. Many of us have quite accurrate ALIENS marines figures because of a lot of work and contributions by people with knowledge of those costumes like you have of Star Wars. So when you have many cases like this, and someone comes along acting like they've got answers but coming off like their knowledge should be sought out and paid for, it's a turn off, we don't like to feel we're only good for that sort of thing. When I joined this site 3-4 years ago, it was full of people just looking to have fun with the hobby and making friends that could off tidbits and things to improve collections, and many of us from those old days loved that, and now a lot of the stuff around here is about where can I buy this and it's like no one wants to come here and make friends and have a community, they're just looking to buy and sell ^^^^ and the community and fun is getting lost in all that. Your entrance in this thread is like a contradiction of what used to be great about this site, so it bothered me and I've been vocal on it.

Gino
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Well I'm certainly not here to fight.
Although when you express unpopular opinions, it tends to initiate conflict or heated debate. That just comes with the territory when it involves things people are passionate about.

Like I said before, I just wanted to offer another perspective.

Valfar
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Then talk to Sideshow about getting a job with them or being a freelance consultant.

In my experience here, there's been two types of people to comment on innaccurracies, ones who just like to ^^^^^, put things down and start fights, and ones who make comments but also efforts to make improvements.

You come in here acting like you have all the answers and could be a big help, but essentially you're making a plea to Sideshow to help them, but not this community, so I say send your commentary to Sideshow, they're the ones that'll benefit from it.
Look at it from our point of view. Many of us have been members here for years, and I know I have, and many others too, benefitted from people with knowledge such as yours coming forward and sharing it with us freely as part of community working towards having better collections. Many of us have quite accurrate ALIENS marines figures because of a lot of work and contributions by people with knowledge of those costumes like you have of Star Wars. So when you have many cases like this, and someone comes along acting like they've got answers but coming off like their knowledge should be sought out and paid for, it's a turn off, we don't like to feel we're only good for that sort of thing. When I joined this site 3-4 years ago, it was full of people just looking to have fun with the hobby and making friends that could off tidbits and things to improve collections, and many of us from those old days loved that, and now a lot of the stuff around here is about where can I buy this and it's like no one wants to come here and make friends and have a community, they're just looking to buy and sell ^^^^ and the community and fun is getting lost in all that. Your entrance in this thread is like a contradiction of what used to be great about this site, so it bothered me and I've been vocal on it.

You heard the man, we don't need to hear anymore broken records like myself here on Freaks boards...:lol

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 10:42 PM
You heard the man, we don't need to hear anymore broken records like myself here on Freaks boards...:lol

You're completely missing my point. I don't care about people like you pointing out flaws, you guys are posting reference images, marking up photos, that leads to improvments and corrections, it's coming in and saying I know what need to be done but I'm not going to point it out for free from Gino that bothered me.

Gino
07-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I'd prefer to help out and be involved behind the scenes during the development stage (BEFORE) sculpting begins. Before, and throughout the sculpting process to insure critical aspects of each component were met.

MaulFan
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Like I said before, I just wanted to offer another perspective.

And I don't have any issue with other perspectives and it's not that you see flaws in the Sideshow Vader that's gotten to me. People have been posting those things for a month now and I've been dialoguing with them about it.

It was your attitude, you came in here acting like the definitive expert on the costume and acting like Sideshow could only get the figure wrong because you're not consulting them and they should be jumping to get your services to help their figures and you're not going to be working with this community. Totally came off like you're here to boast yourself and gain something from the exposure, not wanting to be a part of the community here and that bothers me, it's been a trend with new members here for sometime and it's been killing the quality of this site and I enjoyed what it was before so much, I grow tired of swallowing what it's becoming and speak out sometimes.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Bowed out for a few hours.. Yup. Thread is still lame.

:wave

Valfar
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
You're completely missing my point. I don't care about people like you pointing out flaws, you guys are posting reference images, marking up photos, that leads to improvments and corrections, it's coming in and saying I know what need to be done but I'm not going to point it out for free from Gino that bothered me.

If thats the case..well, thats offside..i have loosely been following the previous messages in here..fruck it man..

there is really only three Vaders made now(SS/Medicom) that are way way more up to par then any other Vader released since 77..and i am not going to include a custom figure here because the price can be whack for those...for Star Wars 1/6th..we got what we were mean't to get for now, look for better in the future because LFL are probally not stupid enough to give the fans a be all end all version of Vader...thats me just throwing out speculation though.

When i get the figure(hopefully no flaws) and i mod the head and have the dome sit deeper on the head..i will have no issues after that at all..while knowing what it should had looked like, i can still put that behind me and admire this figure in my detolf and for the price its well worth it if you are getting your first Vader figure. The medicom Vaders still go for stupidly high prices on Ebay, so obviously now the SS Vader is the Vader to own..for now anyway.

abake
07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
There is a worrying lack of pictures in this thread...

DarthTrafford
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM

I thought there was something missing:D
As for mine, I'll take some pics and post them later.
It's 2am here on the East Coast and I'm off to sleep.

EVILFACE
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM

What you want to see pictures instead of reading how a self proclaimed expert would have made Vader?

D. Martin
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I think it is official. Michael Crawford took the best pictures of Vader. Looks great dude!

Morbo
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Wow. I came looking for some photos of Vader, but it's just aload of ^^^^^ing about how the buckle of his belt only has four slots. :rolleyes

This forum is turning into a not very nice place to visit anymore.

Karaduin
07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Nice pics of Vader everyone... or not. I would love to see some way of having all 'Official Photo threads' be like this one:

Pictures Only, Please!! No Comments!! (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9493)

That way I dont have to read how knowledgable people are about accuracy, film props, SW canon, when peoples stuff is arriving etc etc. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be discussed but there are other threads for that.

I think this post summarises my feelings:

That is because you don't know what accuracy is.

Valfar
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow. I came looking for some photos of Vader, but it's just aload of ^^^^^ing about how the buckle of his belt only has four slots. :rolleyes

This forum is turning into a not very nice place to visit anymore.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 awww..Rivvvverr!!

Morbo
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 awww..Rivvvverr!!

is that supposed to be funny?

D. Martin
07-16-2009, 12:30 AM

It kinda is

Entropy
07-16-2009, 12:44 AM

DOWN WITH THE DOT!!!

I can't believe they're continuing the doll dot. It's not going to suddenly start looking realistic.

The Chaver
07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
we got what we were mean't to get for now, look for better in the future because LFL are probally not stupid enough to give the fans a be all end all version of Vader...thats me just throwing out speculation though.

That aint speculation that's the damn truth, why a lot of these guys here are not excepting it is beyond me.

The Chaver
07-16-2009, 12:59 AM

Yeah, it actually was kinda funny..:lol

Beerbelly Bob
07-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I got Vader yesterday and he looks great. I would post pics but my picture taking skills are crappy compared to some of the members on here so I wont bother. :o

JustinLuck
07-16-2009, 01:31 AM
The inaccuracies don't bother me too much. Infact, I think Vader looks outstanding overall. I don't consider the helmet a real issue now that I have him in hand and know it is fixable if need be.

I am more disappointed that Vader did not come with the Force Choke hand that Sideshow advertised for the exclusive. The pointing hand is fine, but I wish he also came with the force choke. The hand should have the thumb extended out more and the index finger further flexed. The exclusive hand clearly resembles the Leia interrogation scene in the Tantive IV corridor. It would be nice if Sideshow could offer the real force choke hand for sale some time. Perhaps in an accessory pack with a mouse droid and deathstar floor?

EVILFACE
07-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Looks like the choke hand to me.

tylerdurden
07-16-2009, 03:10 AM
"i'm out of it for a little while and everyone starts having delusions of grandeur." :lol

man, TWENTY pages on this thread since my last visit yesterday??
u guys sure know how to keep a "discussion" going.

i love this site!

but seriously, some of u folks need to chill out and remember why we're in this hobby. it's supposed to be FUN! what's the point of getting so worked up that a small 12inch figure does not share the exact same accuracy as a LIFE-SIZE prop or costume? it is futile. constructive criticisms are fine, but sometimes the folks here get a bit carried away.

like everything in life, the key is moderation.

just me 2 cents'. :)

shocktrooper_au
07-16-2009, 03:13 AM
pictures people!!!

shockwave
07-16-2009, 05:00 AM
I love my Vader figure, really. :D I change the gloves/positions every night before I go to bed on the figure. Funny huh....:lol

FQRizzo
07-16-2009, 05:26 AM
I got Vader yesterday and he looks great. I would post pics but my picture taking skills are crappy compared to some of the members on here so I wont bother. :o

No one should feel ashamed of their picture taking skills. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen any pictures after Maulfan's. :lol

AngryEwok
07-16-2009, 05:32 AM
More SSC Vader photographs, less expert arrogance.

Apone
07-16-2009, 05:38 AM
More SSC Vader photographs, less expert arrogance.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Apone
07-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Next time I go to the dentist, I'll be sure to lay that "where's the community spirit" on him to see if he'll feel bad and not charge me for his years of study and expertise. If he still says no, then he'll be one big jerk in my eyes.

It's one thing to be in it solely for the money, vs. not wanting to have your expertise taken advantage of.

Did you really compare knowing way too much about a fictional science fiction character to being a doctor?

Apone
07-16-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm not mocking them.
Just providing some perspective from the 'things could be better' side.

I guess they should recall every Vader and destroy them so they can make the correct changed according to Gino...and then jack up the price to $1000

OSCORP
07-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Whats the edition size for the regular? I can't find it on the site.

EVILFACE
07-16-2009, 05:54 AM
6500 for the regular I believe.

wookster
07-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Did you really compare knowing way too much about a fictional science fiction character to being a doctor?

Yeah, I was gonna use the Solo quote about delusions of grandeur... but someone else already did...

There's nothing wrong with wanting a better product, but thre comes a time when you just have to let go and enjoy... if you are still capable of that!

jkno
07-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I received my Vader figure and I can say I'm really disappointed. I paid a lot for this and it has problems. Not talking here about its design which is cool, but the quality in materials used. I have both Medicom Vaders but this didn't happen to any of them. The chest box straps are broken/damaged (leather too thin or crappy), the crotch armor is flying away (no glue on this) and he has "removable" helmet (the removable helmet is ok from my POV)

Very disappointed of how they made this figure, hope one day Hot Toys alone will make THE VADER. I hope to be able to exchange this figure or at least to get my money back - and I paid to my nose on fracking customs for this crap...

Just look at the pictures below they say 1000 words:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2yl5tsy.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/24uvr0l.jpg

Vonhahn
07-16-2009, 06:03 AM
I know it's disappointing, but just call Sideshow and send him back. They are really cool about these things. You got one that was put in the box with zero care, it dosen't even look like the plastic "neck brace" was put in place. This is VERY uncharacteristc for Sideshow....

I want to continue to celebrate Sideshows skill and commitment to customer service. I'm not a professional photographer, but here is my newest addition...

OSCORP
07-16-2009, 06:05 AM
One thing i don't trust SS on is QC.

Vonhahn
07-16-2009, 06:09 AM
One thing i don't trust SS on is QC.
(Sigh), I tried....:confused:

FQRizzo
07-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I received my Vader figure and I can say I'm really disappointed. I paid a lot for this and it has problems. Not talking here about its design which is cool, but the quality in materials used. I have both Medicom Vaders but this didn't happen to any of them. The chest box straps are broken/damaged (leather too thin or crappy), the crotch armor is flying away (no glue on this) and he has "removable" helmet (the removable helmet is ok from my POV)

Very disappointed of how they made this figure, hope one day Hot Toys alone will make THE VADER. I hope to be able to exchange this figure or at least to get my money back - and I paid to my nose on fracking customs for this crap...

It looks like your Vader was delivered by Ace Ventura. :horror

There are too many things wrong with your Vader to just be a QC issue. It looks like he had a rough trip.

Whatever the case, the best of luck getting this all worked out.

OSCORP
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Man i would be so pissed!

Figure was raped!

Darthrazz
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM

http://i32.tinypic.com/2yl5tsy.jpg

Oh Man! That is just plain awful, no excuse for that. I feel bad, especially since you are in Romania and have to pay so much in customs!!! You had mentioned in a previous post that sometimes FedEx opened your packages, you don't think someone opened and futzed with this do you???

FQRizzo
07-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Oh Man! That is just plain awful, no excuse for that. I feel bad, especially since you are in Romania and have to pay so much in customs!!! You had mentioned in a previous post that sometimes FedEx opened your packages, you don't think someone opened and futzed with this do you???

I agree it looks tampered with. Especially if the chinstrap part of the packaging is missing.

AngryEwok
07-16-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm embarrassed for SSC at the condition JKNO's Vader arrived. What are the odds someone in customs opened the package and ^^^^ed it up? I mean, that looks maliciously ^^^^ed up.

Serg, are you dating the mailman's wife, or something?

:date

Darthrazz
07-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Was the tape around the tray there? Or was it cut or anything??

OSCORP
07-16-2009, 06:25 AM
But would someone actually open up a toy vader and ^^^^ it up like that on purpose? I just don't see why, especially someone in customs?

What kind of animal?...

I almost hope it was tampered with, that product shoulda been stopped before it hit the door.

GL man!

jkno
07-16-2009, 06:27 AM
I know it's diappointing, but just call Sideshow and send him back. They are really cool about these things...

I want to continue to celebrate Sideshows skill and commitment to customer service. I'm not a professional photographer, but here is my newest addition...

I'm from Romania, I'd rather not call them but write an email (time zone differences, phone costs etc.). As for sending him back I'll do it as soon as I know where to write the email.

And if when they return with a new figure do I have to pay again for shipping (to them and back), customs and VAT tax? Because if so I'd rather make my own Vader from scratch, it would be cheaper...:(

I agree it looks tampered with. Especially if the chinstrap part of the packaging is missing.

All the packages sent with FedEx or DHL are opened at Customs in Bucharest capital city, if sent with USPS or Express Mail they are opened in your own city in front of you (a BIG difference).

Nothing is missing all the straps are there but they are broken. The black tape on the package says: Deschis pentru control vamal la FedEx Romania - that means: "Opened up for customs control at FedEx Romania"

http://i28.tinypic.com/2s19oyg.jpg

AngryEwok
07-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I bet customs ^^^^ed it up. I bet that Vader danced all over the office before somebody decided to repackage it and ship it off.

galactiboy
07-16-2009, 06:29 AM
The belt w/codpiece is removable (velco in the back). From the image it looks like the cod piece has pins that secure it to the belt, so maybe that could be repaired. Hopefully Sideshow will just send you a replacement chestbox and/or belt rather than a whole new figure.

jimjimmyjones85
07-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Man I have missed mine twice already ! Hope I get this soon and it's not too beat up.

jkno
07-16-2009, 06:44 AM
The belt w/codpiece is removable (velco in the back). From the image it looks like the cod piece has pins that secure it to the belt, so maybe that could be repaired. Hopefully Sideshow will just send you a replacement chestbox and/or belt rather than a whole new figure.

The chest box straps that are broken and the crotch armor unglued are problems. I cannot customize them myself or would be a too much pain in ass to try doing it. The crotch armor seems to be connected to the body suit with only 3 very small and short pegs - I'm really interested how is this the first Vader to have this problem - but maybe others are glued all the way to the strap.