PDA

View Full Version : Bumping threads

Mooncat
06-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Can we have thread bumping restricted to the Commerce sections ?

In the custom section its starting to become quite annoying, not only does it keep other newer threads out of the limelight

but bumping threads for customizers who havent posted work in weeks or even months means those waiting for news, are often dissappointed to find some fan has bumped for no good reason ! and theres nothing relevant to anyone interested in that thread ?

God forbid someone should try subscribing with an instant email notification to a thread, with this stupid use of the bump method, all they end up with is an inbox full of bumping spam !

Can I get a show of ayes and nays ?

Kabukiman
06-04-2009, 05:45 AM
I absolutely agree with this. Thanks for bringing it up here, Mooncat.

The Josh
06-04-2009, 06:37 AM
You get to bump a thread in the commerce section once a day basically.

galactiboy
06-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Yeah, but bumping a customizers thread just because you like seeing them on page one is different. Customizers could bump their threads as much as they want, but this is from others bumping a customizers thread for no reason.

I find it annoying as well... I love seeing the new work, but when you see 10 in a row like this it is frustrating.

nash
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
if this spawns a new rule, can that same rule be applied to the various nonsense 'petition threads' too?

Cap'n Cook
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Bumping for an update.

:monkey3

Mooncat
06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
if this spawns a new rule, can that same rule be applied to the various nonsense 'petition threads' too?

Bumping for bumpings sake should be imho restricted to within the Commerce section

Bumping for an update.

:monkey3

Someone slap him with a large hamster

If someone wants to cheat the natural order keeping a thread front page because 'they want too' and bumps away

then what happens to those threads that dont get 'bumped' they dont get seen and fade away, just cause they arent popular for bump posters

Lets get back to 'Eau natural' folks, instead of posting for the sake of keeping something we like in the limelight,

If you want to keep a breast of a thread subscribe to it, dont spam it back to the front page

Darklord Dave
06-04-2009, 12:48 PM
There is a rule about not bumping commerce threads more than once a 24 hour period.

Kabukiman
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
There is a rule about not bumping commerce threads more than once a 24 hour period.

But the problem is with people bumping non-commerce threads.

Gruff Old Bear
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm really tired of the bumping. It defeats the purpose of subscribing. What's the point of getting notified that a thread has been updated if the update consists only of "BUMP!" and a smiley?

EVILFACE
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Agree with all in this thread.

Mooncat
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Great, the least that we should do imho opinion is apply this rule to all forums !

eighthsamurai
06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
i totally totally agree! great suggestion mooncat. i noticed kabukiman mentioned the same thing in DA josh's thread. i mean no disrespect to customisers, but having these threads bumped is quite annoying. i hate to name names, but i get loads of subscriptions a week from MadCow bumping josh's and les' threads. i respect the support he gives, but like i said in josh's thread, it keeps other threads with new input from being on page 1 where they belong.

it seems dave has missed the point of this thread. i hope he revisits it.

galactiboy
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Great, the least that we should do imho opinion is apply this rule to all forums !

No because you'd still get people bumping threads uselessly every 24 hours which is about the current frequency.

Maybe just a etiquette guideline that you should only bump threads for content or comment... not just so you can see your favorite customizer/project/etc on the first page.

pixletwin
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Too big of an issue to enforce. No big deal in my opinion.

galactiboy
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I would agree its not something mods would want to enforce... but it is an annoying practice that people could be persuaded not to do.

Kabukiman
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
No big deal in my opinion.

You're not one of the customizers getting bumped of the first page. Also, it's a constant kick to the nuts for those of us waiting for product from a commissioned customizer. Furthermore, those that are subscribed to a thread get constant updates filled with nonsense.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

pixletwin
06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Still no biggie, but whatevs. It doesn't bother me that it bothers you. :wave

thenammagazine
06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
You're not one of the customizers getting bumped of the first page. Also, it's a constant kick to the nuts for those of us waiting for product from a commissioned customizer. Furthermore, those that are subscribed to a thread get constant updates filled with nonsense.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Just bump back! :huh

Mooncat
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Just bump back! :huh

Yep god forbid I should point something out that people shouldnt be doing, or at least dissuaded from doing

I should be doing it myself instead

:banghead

FlyAndFight
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
:mwaha:mwaha:mwaha

Bumping for funny reply!

Mooncat
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
:mwaha:mwaha:mwaha

bumping for funny reply!

insert funny reply

here

Right one 40 post page of Ironic bumps coming right up

Ironman1188
06-06-2009, 04:54 PM
I concur. I don't pester customizers because I know how hard they are working and I know what guys like Josh and Les are going thru. By the same token I do look forward to seeing anything new that is put out there (whether its mine or not) and the hope of seeing something that might be mine. It is disturbing to have these constant "bumps" because a thread fell off the first page. Especially if someone else's page count is not set to 40 threads per page. Then I'm getting "bump" updates for something thats only halfway down my page and I'm still not seeing anything "custom" oriented.

DarkArtist81
06-07-2009, 12:13 AM
The bumps are annoying... If not supportive and kind...

Personally, the bumps act almost as a whip would. To remind you that there are people there wanting work done, that you owe them... Which can only heighten the stress. Even though they might not even be trying to do that in the first place.

I know from my personal standpoint... my thread being on whatever page doesn't matter at all to me... it could be on page 500 and I'd probably be HAPPY about it. :lol

LordAzrael
06-07-2009, 12:48 AM
The bumps are annoying... If not supportive and kind...

Personally, the bumps act almost as a whip would. To remind you that there are people there wanting work done, that you owe them... Which can only heighten the stress. Even though they might not even be trying to do that in the first place.

I know from my personal standpoint... my thread being on whatever page doesn't matter at all to me... it could be on page 500 and I'd probably be HAPPY about it. :lol

I'd never thought about some of that Josh but I guess it is a passive aggressive way of putting pressure on the customiser.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

+1

Yes - some people just need to learn

(a) patience and
(b) how to use the subscribe thread.

DarkArtist81
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I mean... I know people are trying to show respect and love for an artist's work.. but it does get frustrating to others.. and the artist himself.

It is a nice thing to do, but also a bad thing to do... I can understand their POV, but it would probably be best for all parties if it were to stop.

The Craw
06-07-2009, 10:38 AM
yes. let the threads drift away to page 10 or whatever. then in a few months somebody can necropost it.:joy

Mooncat
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
yes. let the threads drift away to page 10 or whatever. then in a few months somebody can necropost it.:joy

Yeh cause thats a great definition for a customizer updating their thread :duh

The Craw
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
guess i don't see the problem with people showing interest in somebody's work. it's not like the custom section gets a dozen new threads a day. bumping threads helps keep all those "look at my Joker repaint/resculpt/recloth/reaccessory or custom scarecrow/alfred/gordon threads out of the limelight. how many times to we need to see more custom dark knight stuff. personally i would rather have the heavy hitters repaint threads on top. i don't visit the board all the time so daily bumps make it easier for me to find those threads if they are on top.

Darklord Dave
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I would agree that it is annoying. As are posts consisting of nothing but smileys as comments on a previous post.

If anyone has any suggestions on preventing gratuitous bumping, please let me know.

Wanderer
06-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I would agree that it is annoying. As are posts consisting of nothing but smileys as comments on a previous post.

If anyone has any suggestions on preventing gratuitous bumping, please let me know.

Check this out...I nominate myself as a bump moderator. I catch anyone gratuitously bumping, then i bump them an infraction, 15 infractions and banned for life. ZERO TOLERANCE:cut Read my lips: I dont mess around! :lol

Mooncat
06-08-2009, 02:14 AM

Active Mods, its only 2 clicks and the bumps gone. People will soon get the message

creecher
06-08-2009, 02:15 AM

Could there be a post limit per thread? Say your piece and you're out. Five ought to do it. If you're selling and can't sell it in 5 bumps, your price is too high or no one's interested. If it's one of the superthreads, speculate, can't wait, have it in hand, yes it is, no it's not, and you're out of there.

Mooncat
06-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Could there be a post limit per thread? Say your piece and you're out. Five ought to do it. If you're selling and can't sell it in 5 bumps, your price is too high or no one's interested. If it's one of the superthreads, speculate, can't wait, have it in hand, yes it is, no it's not, and you're out of there.

Personally I dont see problems with people bumping in commerce, afterall if you click on a sales thread and you either dont collect that, cant afford it or a an another reason then you dont have really any reason to revisit that thread. Bumps or not

My gripe is when you see a thread your interested in and then subscribe to it waiting for more input !

Only to get an inbox full of spam from someone who

1) cant hold their own water ! and bumps for news updates

2) think they are 'advertising' it by bumping it back to the top of page 1, as if this thread is the only thread we all should be interested in !

If someone wants to use this advertising excuse for bumping then 'let them' start a new advertisement thread, post on other forums, on other boards . . . thats advertising it, not using this excuse, when really its a passive aggresive way of putting pressure on the original poster to update the thread with news for them ! They can bump themsleves blind on their own 'advertising' thread as I wont be subscribing to it ! Instead of hijacking the original posters thread with spam

3) If their not educated enough to 'bump' without using the word bump in the thread ! or smillies !

eg. start an actual conversation, debate on a subject then they shouldnt be allowed to be lazy and inconsiderate to other board members, and just post spam and crap on a thread ! as thats what bump is !

as those forum members who use the forum correctly have to deal with wading through their inconsiderate drivel on the thread and in their inbox !!

galactiboy
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM

:lecture :lecture :banana