Faulty Hot Toys Jor-El painting...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulim17

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello everybody...
I just bought 2 Jor-El made by Hot Toys, one from a guy in Malaysia and the other from Hong Kong. Both came well packed and sealed, but when I opened them I had a terrible surprise. Both came with what appears to be a scratch on the nose :banghead
Here are some pictures:

DSC01260.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

My first thought was that the paint was still fresh when they put the figure on the box, but there's no paint on the plastic cover that holds the figure. I have no idea how this could happen... And what pisses me off is that to me, the face is the most important part of the figure.
I've sent e-mails to Hot Toys but none of them were answered.
Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks all

i know it sucks, but if you have talent, buy some paints and paint it up...if not, send it to someone who does have talent

Thats almost like the effect as if the nose has been rubbing off the clear plastic cover. Though normally the cover is a fair bit away from the head, as it's usually shaped like a dome at that part.

Mine is the same. Never thought to try emailing HT about it, i may do that too.

Both had nose problems?

Mine had a similar splotch of paint missing beside his right eye. I haven't gotten around to it, but my plan is to mix up some paint that matches and fix it.

Just a paint rub... fairly common on figures as the nose is the high point of sculpt and most likely to come into contact with other surfaces.

And if you bought these opened (just an assumption) its hard to tell when it would have happened and unlikely HT will do anything. Not to mention HT's CS is fairly weak.

Doubtful... this figure has been out for a while now and is sold out. And if its already been opened by someone else and displayed, or even been in different hands unopened its not something covered by returns.

Its a simple touch up job you could do yourself, or maybe get a customizer to fix it for you.

if you go to a craft shop (michaels, ac moore, etc) they have a VAST acrylic paint section. they're really cheap and water soluble in case you mess up, plus they're >$1 each. if you have the stones and a good eye, you could mix and match on a plastic plate until you match his skin tone. it's how i started teaching myself to paint figs, by fixing up messed up old ones.

Mine had this problem too :(
The paint had rubbed off onto the inside of the clear plastic (the smear was still there)
I contacted Hot Toys and they mailed me two before I settled on one - the paintjobs were questionable on both. I also doubt you could do this now as this was when he first came out.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Answering some questions: the seller won't take it back and I bought them "sealed", as it was written on the ebay ad.
I think I'll try to paint this guy...
Thanks again!

Back