Fake IMAX?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Taken from a piece of an article:

Apparently, IMAX rolled out a digital projection system last year that can be easily installed in a normal movieplex and doesn't require those huge film reels of a traditional IMAX projector. The downside is that the screens of these "Fake IMAX" theaters -- as Aziz calls them -- can be as much as a quarter of the size of standard IMAX screen. The size discrepancy between them is shown here:

pseudoblog_imaxcompare425.jpg

But the real problem is that the IMAX Corporation along with its partners, theater chains AMC and Regal Cinemas, are refusing to distinguish between the two formats. Moviegoers will not know what kind of IMAX experience they will have until their tickets have been ripped. The theaters however, are charging the same price for "fake" digital IMAX as they do for "real" film-based IMAX.

IMAX co-CEO Richard Gelfond argued that such a distinction is unnecessary because, "People don't say 'The 3 isn't a real BMW because it's smaller.'" As the LF Examiner -- a journal devoted to "large format" film -- points out, this is an illogical analogy: car buyers would be plenty upset if they paid around $120,000 for 7-series Beemer and instead received 3-series worth only $30k.
Gelfond also voiced concerns that older film-based theaters might be seen as "second-class citizens" when compared with their newer, cooler digital siblings. That seems unlikely, however. Though resolution for the digital IMAX is good -- slightly better than normal digital projection -- it still is a far cry from the resolution found in a film-based IMAX theater.

Confusing matters, filmmakers are now shooting sequences in their movies using IMAX's proprietary large-format cameras, designed specifically for a "real" IMAX experience. The first production to do this was "The Dark Knight," filling the entire frame with crystal-sharp clarity. This summer's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" also has giant action scenes shot on IMAX film.

This all came about from a comedian's rant online about the "fake IMAX" experience when he went to see Star Trek. What do you guys (and gals) think about this? I've never seen a fake IMAX screen....

I've been to two separate IMAX theaters and both screens were as big as a building. That being said, I noticed that an AMC I frequent recently added an 'IMAX' sign outside the building, I'm pretty sure it's one of those smaller screens this guy is talking about.

I've been to two separate IMAX theaters and both screens were as big as a building. That being said, I noticed that an AMC I frequent recently added an 'IMAX' sign outside the building, I'm pretty sure it's one of those smaller screens this guy is talking about.

Yea, the Regal near me has an upconverted regular screen into an "IMAX". It's just the IMAX footage shown on a non-IMAX screen. It's just not the same.

The ones at AMC are usually the fake IMAX. I was tricked too back when The Day the Earth Stood Still came out. The screen looked like the regular screens, and did not look at all like the 70 foot one at the other theater here in Houston.
Don't pay for the fakes! They do charge the same extra fee. I'm just glad I saw Dark Knight in the real IMAX.:D

I was suckered with Star Trek. I've seen the real thing before on better cinemas. On the Trek I saw, the screen looked suspiciously smaller, and there was letterboxing on the sides. The video and audio was nowhere as crisp as the last Harry Potter on a real IMAX. AMC won't get any more of my money.

Good to know.....we have a new multi-plex not too far from where I live that just announced that they have an IMAX theater.......I am sure it is one of those fakes...I'll just stick to the real one downtown.

Good to know.....we have a new multi-plex not too far from where I live that just announced that they have an IMAX theater.......I am sure it is one of those fakes...I'll just stick to the real one downtown.
Love your Resident Evil sig by the way, Jen! :rock

I saw Watchmen on one of these - it's digital and looks great, but the screen is nowhere near IMAX size.

If it's the only IMAX option available to you in your local area then it's certainly better than seeing a film on a regular screen, but does it justify the price hike?

My nearest true IMAX is in the neighboring city, and I don't want to make the drive everytime I want to see a new flick on the big BIG screen, so the introduction of the "fake" IMAX experience is okay in my book. Just gotta ask about the screen size in advance.

Personally I don't think the price hike should be the same for the standard IMAX and the faux IMAX.

I have 2 theaters in town. One has Imax and the other has the Fake Imax. The Fake Imax screen is a standard screen. The only reason to go is when they have an Imax 3d version of a movie. I saw Monster vs Aliens in Imax 3d on the Fake Imax screen and it was amazingly crystal clear.

I do agree if I paid $14 for a ticket to see a movie on the Fake Imax screen then I would be pissed.

You guys are fortunate for having real IMAX theaters in your city that plays the newest flicks.

$14-$15 a ticket for fake IMAX might not be worthwhile, but for me the cost of going to a real IMAX is higher if you consider the gas cost of driving 1.5-2 hours to the nearest one.

Still, I'll watch the highest anticipated films on real IMAX (like Star Trek).

I have a pretty decent understanding of the theatres around me. If a local theatre all of a sudden started boasting they have IMAX I don't think I would be fooled.

next time you go see a movie, just walk into the IMAX theatre to see if it really is an IMAX theatre or not (if it's not on the map above).

I've been to the Colorado Center (10 minute walk from my work) they still list as unknown. Its definately a real IMAX.

i really don't care that there are "fake" IMAXes...that being said they shouldn't charge more and they should definately tell people that it's not the real IMAX.

Back