Premium Format Scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just did a little rearrangement and put the PF Brosnan and Connery together and was a bit disappointed to discover they aren't in scale. Brosnan's base is much higher than Connery's but he still is shorter. Connery is about 18.75 inches. So Connery is pretty much right on 1/4 scale because the actor is 6'2". However Brosnan is 6'1" yet the figure is around 17.25 which would put Brosnan at 5'9". I know there were a couple of the first PFs designed, but I'm hoping more attention will be given to scale with Star Wars and LotR. After all, scale is something that can't ever be exact with the 12" figures since there are standard bodies. But for PFs there's no reason for them not to be, especially in the same series.

Darklord Dave said:
I just did a little rearrangement and put the PF Brosnan and Connery together and was a bit disappointed to discover they aren't in scale. Brosnan's base is much higher than Connery's but he still is shorter. Connery is about 18.75 inches. So Connery is pretty much right on 1/4 scale because the actor is 6'2". However Brosnan is 6'1" yet the figure is around 17.25 which would put Brosnan at 5'9". I know there were a couple of the first PFs designed, but I'm hoping more attention will be given to scale with Star Wars and LotR. After all, scale is something that can't ever be exact with the 12" figures since there are standard bodies. But for PFs there's no reason for them not to be, especially in the same series.

oh, DON'T tell me that!!! I just bought the 1/4 Brosnan an hour ago online so that Sean Connery won't be lonely standing next to the 17"/18" Playboy playmate statue/figures... i can't wait! Dusty and Jennifer said Sean Connery will arrive on Wednesday-ish. I'll take pics when i get them all lined up.

Well, Connery's scale is perfect. And with Connery around what self respecting Playboy bunny will be hanging around Brosnan?

Ouch, poor Pierce, dumped on by Broccoli and Wilson and now dumped on in the freaks board.

I haven't bought Brosnan Bond yet and that was part of the reason. My plan was to display it with Connery Bond and I was waiting for someone to post pictures together. I don't see what possible reason there is/was to make Brosnan Bond out of scale. This is pretty disappointing. I hope this doesn't happen in the Lord of the Rings PF line.

Ever line-up the PF Vampyre, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula? Completely out of scale to each other.

bof.jpg

FrankenFan said:
Ever line-up the PF Vampyre, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula? Completely out of scale to each other.
Thanks for the heads up on that Frankenfan, I'll brace myself to not be dissapointed when I get them... How out of scale is the Frankenstein to Dracula?

PS, this is a bit off topic, but I don't deem it worth a new thread. Will lamplight fade PF's? I want to put my Frankenstein and Dracula on my nightstand, but don't want the lamp to fade them or anything. Thanks!

PPS Dunno what happened that the quote didn't come out right...

Agent0028 said:
Thanks for the heads up on that Frankenfan, I'll brace myself to not be dissapointed when I get them... How out of scale is the Frankenstein to Dracula?
The Monster towers over Dracula.

Frank measures approximately 21.5 inches (without the base) which would make him about 7'1", much too tall for Karloff's 5'11" frame, even with the old asphalt spreaders on.

Drac is approximately 18.75", which works out to 6'3", about right for Lugosi who was 6'1".

And the Vampyre, at approximately 20" tall, would be 6'6" in 1:1 life. Max Schreck was 6'3". But Sideshow's figure is based on Max Shrek, so maybe that guy was taller.

PS, this is a bit off topic, but I don't deem it worth a new thread. Will lamplight fade PF's? I want to put my Frankenstein and Dracula on my nightstand, but don't want the lamp to fade them oanything. Thanks
It's a best practice to keep your figures away from direct light of any kind. You must have a pretty big-@ss nightstand, Agent, to accommodate both of these big boys and a lamp. I'd be afraid of knocking them over, sleepily reaching for the off button on my alarm clock.

PPS Dunno what happened that the quote didn't come out right...
Looks like you omitted the forward slash to close your quote.

bof2.jpg

I also noticed Brosnan wasn't quite to scale when I got him. I looked up his height and measured to see how close the 1/4 scale was.
Doesn't really matter to me, I still really like this figure.

The Vampyre, Frankenstein Monster and the Bonds were early designs; before they'd really committed to scale accuracy. Subsequent monsters have been pretty much in scale with Dracula. It is a bit disappointing about the Bonds, though. I'm displaying them at opposite ends of the same shelf.

Thanks for the info Frankenfan, looks like I'll be doing some rearranging... BTW It is a pretty big nightstand and the lamp is a really skinny wine bottle base.

That's too bad about the figures being out of scale, it'd be funny to see people's reaction to Drac being taller than Frank, I never woulda guessed that to be the case!

Darklord Dave said:
Drac isn't taller than Frank - Frank and the Vampyre are too tall by a good sum.

Sorry, I shoulda been more clear, I shoulda said that I was surprised Bela Lugosi is taller than Boris Karloff.

Growin up, I always thought that Frankenstein's Monster was taller than Dracula...

hrm. blah.

Tall Tales

Bum said:
Growin up, I always thought that Frankenstein's Monster was taller than Dracula...

hrm. blah.
In costume, the character of the Monster is taller than the character of Dracula. But, with the exception of Karloff, the other principle actors who portrayed the Monster, Lon Chaney, Jr (6'2.5"), and Glenn "Peewee" Strange (6'5") were both taller than Lugosi.

Furthermore, when Chaney, Jr. played Dracula, he was taller than Lugosi, and when John Carradine played the role, at 6'2", he was taller than Bela but shorter than Lon, Jr.

But when Jr. doubled the Monster for an injured Strange in "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein," the Monster was shorter than himself in a few scenes, but always taller than Dracula.

Finally, When Lugosi played the Monster, he was taller than himself as Dracula.

drprtrs.gif

Agent0028 said:
Wow. That's some impressive knowledge. :bow
You overestimate me, Agent!

It was a lame attempt at humor, and believe me, without the help of Dogpile and Google, I wouldn't know the relative heights of those actors!

(Btw, is there a reason the letter "L" is missing from your sig?)

mmmy.jpg

Congrats lcummins, ya got it. :clap If I recall that's what was on the christmas cards that Alfred Hitchcock sent out. Good eye noticing the L Frankenfan, and even if you aren't a walking encyclopedia of monster heights that's still an impressive array of information!

Back