Dark Shadow Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Zaius

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all
Does any one know where a good place is to pre-order the new Dark Shadow figures that Majestic Studios is releasing?
:banana

I believe Amok Time, Monsters in Motion and I would think our own DarkShadowsCollectibles would all be having them. I think I saw them on the Alter Ego site as well [Marc?]
Tower might also carry them as they seem to carry most of Majestic's lines.
Hope at least some of this helps.

If you're getting Dark Shadows figures (or any Majestic Studios figure) it might be a good idea to track down some spare nude bodies (either Dragon or the pre-3.0 BBI) as their male bod is one of the worst on the market - no wrist articulation, lousy neck (no up or down plus it tends to spring back when turned to the side), naff proportions, won't hold a decent pose, etc.

Yep, their body is even lower in my estimations than Sideshow's... and that's saying something ;)

Their painting is getting worse too - just got Starbuck and Adama today and, oh dear. Their sculpts weren't that great to begin off with but the paintjobs haven't helped them in the least. Costuming was poor too - not just compared to the protoypes but with snaps poorly stitched and glued-together belts... blech.

C'mon, Majestic, buck your ideas up.

Nick

Since it's being commented on here - I just got Adama and Starbuck too. They are definitely more in the realm of "toy" than collectible. The sculpts aren't Cotswald bad, but aren't up to the standards we've come to expect from 1/6 figures. It bodes ill for the modern BG figures Majestic is supposed to be doing.

And Majestic must be using the same factory that SSC fired. Wires under the clothes and under the arms!!! :banghead

And with a non-removeable belt it made freeing Adama much more frustrating.

I loathe the wires under the clothes....I always fear I'll tear something trying to get the figure out of the packaging. I have before. :censored

From the pictures, I think the Battlestar Galactica figures have pretty simplistic sculpts, but look good. As for the DS figures, I think the Barnabas sculpts look excellent. Articulation...it's not that big of a deal for me. I mean, if I like the look of the figure, I'll be satisfied. Too much articulation can sometimes get on my nerves. I do like to pose my figures though when I display them. Sloppy paint jobs really bother me, especially if the sculpt is good.

I'm just crossing my fingers on these, because these have been number one on my 12 inch figure wish list for quite some time, and the pictures of them look very good.

Last edited:
I don't know. I am a bit [ok more than a bit] disappointed by the poor Apollo and Starbuck sculpts. But..I think the outfits and gear are pretty good for a smaller company and Adama is one of my favorite sci-fi sculpts of late, and you guys know how finicky I can get. LOL. I am actually thinking of doing a BSG bridge dio just to display him better.

Ironman1188 said:
I don't know. I am a bit [ok more than a bit] disappointed by the poor Apollo and Starbuck sculpts. But..I think the outfits and gear are pretty good for a smaller company and Adama is one of my favorite sci-fi sculpts of late, and you guys know how finicky I can get. LOL.

lol, you must be getting soft in your old age ;) Oddly I liked the Apollo sculpt - it might not have looked a great deal like Ricard Hatch, but it looked like the character... which probably makes no sense at all (much like SSC's 12" Luke being a great Hamill likeness yet not quite capturing Skywalker's spirit). I have to squint to see Adama and anything to do with Starbuck's likeness isn't at home. I'm hoping a repaint might help (getting rid of the heavy eye liner mine have seems a start).

What got my goat was the change in the uniforms from the prototypes; different material, the ribbing all gone and the insignia either ill-placed, missing and/or cheapened. You can't even pose Starbuck like the picture on the box... their prototype had poseable wrists :banghead

Boomer and Athena next isn't it? Fingers crossed for a decent Maren Jensen figure! Still, they gave us 12" Cylons so it ain't all bad ;)

Nick

Athena!!!! They'll need a new female body to truly pull her off, but I'd be OK with a decent sculpt I could transplant.
And HEY!! Soft?? Me?? I accept Brent now, but still don't like the sculpt. LOL. Starbuck, I've only seen pix of, but am not overwhelmed with. Apollo, yes, I understand what you mean, but I think, he'd make a better Zac. Adama...maybe I did get a good one, but I like him.

Well it sounds like Majsetic doesn't do a good action figure. I love dark Shadows but since every body is saying how bad the Battle Star figures are, I may not get the Dark Shadow figures now.
I was going to get the Rambo figures but I read on a different post that the rubber body rips easy. So that made me pass on them.
Hopefully Sideshow will pick the Ape line back up.

Dr_Zaius said:
Well it sounds like Majsetic doesn't do a good action figure. I love dark Shadows but since every body is saying how bad the Battle Star figures are, I may not get the Dark Shadow figures now.

I'd give the Dark Shadows a chance - their outfits seem more traditional jackets, shirts etc. rather than the specific cut of a uniform and so should be easier to get away with. Three heads with each figure too (and I'll support any company that does that instead of releasing three figures and squeezing the customer dry) so the chances of at least one of them being passable is improved. From the off the DS likenesses looked better than the BG ones anyhow.

But that lousy body Majestic use really needs improvement (or binning and starting again from scratch).

Nick

There's no way I'm going to pass them up, despite some of the issues like articulation (which isn't really a big deal to me) that I've read about. If they look close to the pictures that have been released then I'll be happy with them.

Dr. Zauis...that's disappointing about the Rambo figure, because I think it looks so much better than what it would with all of the visible articulation. The main reason I passed on the prophecy girl Buffy figure was because all of the articulation that was visible (due to the way the figure was dressed) made the figure look poor, IMHO.

Last edited:
Josette said:
There's no way I'm going to pass them up, despite some of the issues like articulation (which isn't really a big deal to me) that I've read about. If they look close to the pictures that have been released then I'll be happy with them.

Dr. Zauis...that's disappointing about the Rambo figure, because I think it looks so much better than what it would with all of the visible articulation. The main reason I passed on the prophecy girl Buffy figure was because all of the articulation that was visible (due to the way the figure was dressed) made the figure look poor, IMHO.

Love the screen name Josette
I would love to have the Rambo figure and can't really say the body is bad. I am just going buy what I read on a previous post and would hate to drop that kind of money for a body that will bust or rip. If Sideshow would say they body was ok and wouldn't rip under normal conditions I would proably buy one.
Any one here from Sideshow that can give us a low down of how well built the rubber body is on Rambo?

MiskatonicNick said:
I'd give the Dark Shadows a chance - their outfits seem more traditional jackets, shirts etc. rather than the specific cut of a uniform and so should be easier to get away with. Three heads with each figure too (and I'll support any company that does that instead of releasing three figures and squeezing the customer dry) so the chances of at least one of them being passable is improved. From the off the DS likenesses looked better than the BG ones anyhow.

But that lousy body Majestic use really needs improvement (or binning and starting again from scratch).

Nick

Well, I am going to have to get them. The preview pics are just too good to pass up.

The pic of them on the Majestic website (on the right side of the homepage) is my desktop wallpaper. I need something to tide me over since I have to wait until the end of January. ;) I love the sculpts. I'm just crossing my fingers that they look like they do in the pics.

I think the sculpts will be good. The Fly and Jeepers Creepers were good. Even the Munsters looked like what you saw in the pics, though disappointing they weren't done to look like the actors. So it will be a rush come January/ February/ March. lol. I just said March to rib you Josette. Pay no attention.

March?!..... j/k. :) Waiting just one extra month would be the equivalent of being cursed for me. ;)

I've only seen some of the Munsters in person once. I thought Grandpa was good but I didn't like Lily or Marilyn. You're right, the actual figures were close to the pics.

Dr_Zaius said:
Love the screen name Josette
I would love to have the Rambo figure and can't really say the body is bad. I am just going buy what I read on a previous post and would hate to drop that kind of money for a body that will bust or rip. If Sideshow would say they body was ok and wouldn't rip under normal conditions I would proably buy one.
Any one here from Sideshow that can give us a low down of how well built the rubber body is on Rambo?
Where did you hear that the skin tears? I've looked around and the only thing I hear that is wrong with them is that the metal joints in the arms break fairly easily. I've also heard that Hot Toys has put a slight hold on the release of the Rambo figure so they can fix that problem.

screamingmetal said:
Where did you hear that the skin tears? I've looked around and the only thing I hear that is wrong with them is that the metal joints in the arms break fairly easily. I've also heard that Hot Toys has put a slight hold on the release of the Rambo figure so they can fix that problem.

Well, I must have read the post wrong that I was talking about. The person that posted the post said that they were afraid of rubber rot or the rubber skin ripping. sorry about that. But it does raise a question as to if the Rambo figures rubber skin will eventually rot or rib. But, the Creature came out with a rubber skin suit and to date I have never heard of any ones, nor has mine, comenting on his suit ripping or rotting.

I have seen armatures such as this have splitting occur. They were kids play toys, so it was understandable. Whether or not the material is the same these days is doubtful. The ones I have seen looked to be more plastic/vinyl than rubber, or a silicone compound. I don't think there would be too much of a problem. The idea that something might happen needs to be followed up. I have been tempted to apply amourall but the fear works both ways, so I have never risked it.

Back