Is Sideshow going to completely own the 1:6 world?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throw in the fact that Hasbro is dropping 12" GI Joes, 21st Century and Blue Box Toys have all but disappeared, and I think Sideshow has a better than average chance of being to big boy of the 1/6 world.

Mark D

Is this the big surprise that is supposed to happen on Friday?

Also, isn't this the line that SW Shop carries? The RAH Luke and RAH Vader? I guess they won't be carrying those...

Ironman1188 said:
First Hasbro, then Hot Toys,...now Medicom will have 12" figures distributed thru Sideshow.

what hasbro figures is sideshow selling?

as for medicom, sideshow had a deal with them a while back. i was told medicom was not happy with the prices sideshow was charging for their figures. medicom wanted them to be sold for over $100, sideshow disagreed.:google

if a medicom/sideshow deal can't get these figure prices under $100 like the hot toys deal, what's the point?

Wow! The Pistols look great! I might buy them if they are offered. They'd tower above my new Johnny Cash figure from SOTA, though.

Sid looks alright, Johnny on the other hand doesnt look much like Mr. Rotten.

Oh man, I am ever so happy and I hope they have a world of success with this arangement. I intend to help it work out by ordering Rei Ayanami. Great news.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I got excited about this until I saw the $100-$150 price range. :sick

Well that's a lot cheaper than any Medicom figure you'll find on Ebay. :rolleyes:

I think in the long run this is going to be great for SS. I've paid over $150 for my Medicom figures in the past so I'm all for it.

Now if SS would just get the rights to release Takara figures I'd be in heaven. :D :angelsmil :idea SS Cy Girls...:drool

Gruff Old Bear said:
How quickly we forget. The Star Wars license was made possible through a collaborative arrangement between Hasbro and Sideshow. So three major companies have turned to Sideshow as the future of 1:6.

the only collaboration is that sideshow went and got the license from hasbro after hasbro dumped it. it's not like they're working together on figures or sideshow is selling hasbro stuff. that sideshow/hasbro press release was almost comical in the amount of butt kissing sideshow did in it.

i wouldn't say it's accurate to say hasbro "turned" to sideshow. i'd wager that if hasbro wanted, they could of gone to court to prevent sideshow from making 1/6th figures, regardless of how much lucasfilm wanted sideshow to make them. :wacky

It's too bad the Medicom deal doesn't include the Marvel figures. That would have been fantastic. IBut if they can persuade Hasbro, maybe they can talk Toybiz into letting them carry those as well.

I don't know how difficult it is to get the marvel license for 12" but if Star Wars is a success (and it will be), then the possibility of marvel may increase. It's a little confusing for me, would sideshow also be distributing medicom star wars figures as well? It doesn't make too much sense. Anyway, I think it's great for those people that collect medicom.

I thought they already did. They certainly own my 1/6 world. What 1/6 collector doesn't recognise Sideshows domination. Especially at the prices the competition wants. With the demise of a number of operations, I class Sideshow as the possible saviours of the 1/6 world.

From the sound of it they will only be carrying Medicom product that can be licensed outside of Japan/Asia. I'd think Star Wars and Marvel wouldn't fall into that category. Although I don't know about Jack Bauer.

Really?

captain sack said:
the only collaboration is that sideshow went and got the license from hasbro after hasbro dumped it. it's not like they're working together on figures or sideshow is selling hasbro stuff. that sideshow/hasbro press release was almost comical in the amount of butt kissing sideshow did in it.

Is this correct? Hasbro dumped the license? If there's no ongoing relationship, why the press release? I had the same response to the release as Captain Sack did, but I assumed Hasbro had parted with the license "for good and valuable consideration," meaning some form of payment. Perhaps a percentage. And if they think a percentage of Sideshow's sales compensates for the loss of their exclusive license, then yeah...I think Sideshow is showing a new and fascinating inclination to own the 1:6 market, either by securing the best licenses or by absorbing distribution, which has the same ultimate effect. Nearly all the world's best commercially produced 1:6 figures will come from, or through, Sideshow by this time next year.

I agree with Bonehead15 that since Takara has severed its distribution arrangement with BBI, it's an obvious next target for Sideshow. Has that Uma Thurman "Kill Bill" figure come out yet?

As for Medicom, I agree with Viking28. The Johnny Rotten sculpt is to Mr. Lydon as the Luke sculpt is to Mr. Hamill, all cleaned up and prettified. Old Johnny had a distinctly wall-eyed and intimidating stare. The figure could be a Backstreet Boy in punk regalia. (Cool shirt though.)

I'd also love less expensive Medicom Fujiko Mine figures. There's just something about a girl in a leather catsuit.

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving fellow freaks!

If this means we will see more military figures at affordable prices, then I'm all for it. But I hope Sideshow won't neglect its own military lines. There are plenty of Civil War, WWI and Fife and Drum figures I want Sideshow to make.

Back