Dumb book related questions...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactiboy

OT Preferist
Reaction score
So one of my wife's co-workers asked if Sam was ever reunited with Frodo after Frodo left for the Grey Havens. I was thinking no as he was not a ring-bearer long enough to warrant the journey.

But in looking at the last chapter it's vague, more of a "at least not now" sort of deal.

So 2 questions:
1) Does Sam eventually join Frodo in the Grey Havens

2) Where is this discussed (books, appendices, etc.)

1) Yes Sam does rejoin Frodo as he WAS a ring bearer (albeit briefly).
2) YOu guessed right. Its in the appendices.

Well.... Technically, after Sam's wife dies (when he is a really really old man) he says good bye to his family and goes west and noone sees him again. The family legend is that he did go West to the Undying Lands.

Thanks Pix; sorry for calling you a boner earlier :lol

Do you know which part of the appendices? I'm really lazy :lol

In that part in the back of the book just after one of the other ones.

Boner. :monkey3

Last page of Appendix B

1482 Death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day. On September 22 Master Samwise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over Sea, last of the Ring-bearers.

You are both boners. :lol

Do Gboy, did your wife's coworker get a "mistake" when he discovered the answer? :banana

Do Gboy, did your wife's coworker get a "mistake" when he discovered the answer? :banana

Actually, captain sexist... it was a she who asked the question :lol But yes, I understand a "mistake" may have been involved.

And thanks Jen! I really need to re-read those appendices... easy to forget some of that stuff :duff

I would like to know what year Legolas and Gimli set sail for the undying lands and whether or not it was close to when Sam did: ergo, did they all sail together?

I would like to know what year Legolas and Gimli set sail for the undying lands and whether or not it was close to when Sam did: ergo, did they all sail together?

They went in 1541, after King Elessar passed. Legolas built the ship himself and "when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring." And yes, it is said Gimli went with him.....and that would be 59 years after Samwise.

Boner. :lol

Sop about 60 years after Sam eh? so much for that. What a total boner. :(

Wonder if anyone was still alive, besides the elves.....or do the Undying Lands give you an extended life?.......hum....don't think that was ever addressed. Stuff to ponder....

Well seeing as its the place were people go when they die anyway (the Halls of Mandos is part of the Undying Lands I believe) it doesn't really matter.

Well seeing as its the place were people go when they die anyway (the Halls of Mandos is part of the Undying Lands I believe) it doesn't really matter.

Is that in the Silmarillion? Never read it....one of these days I will try again.

I just finished it for the first time last night. :D

(I read along with a book on tape. It makes wading through it much easier and more interesting).

I just finished it for the first time last night. :D

(I read along with a book on tape. It makes wading through it much easier and more interesting).

I read it when it was first published back in 1977! I was attending Vandy at the time... I've only read it a couple of times since then. I really need to pick it up and read it again soon.

I've tried reading it so many times.......make it maybe 1/4 of the way through then I'll stop. I really do want to finish it one of these days though.....never thought about a book on tape...may need to give that a try.

boner

This thread is fairly boneriffic... I need to read the Silmarillion as well; been on the list but never seem to get around to it.

Back