Life Sized Sideshow Vader Bust - Will it happen?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonlightdrive21

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sideshow has done an amazing job on some of their life-sized busts.

Since Vader is the most popular character of all, why isn't this on the top of their list? Anyone know if Sideshow has future plans for a Vader bust?

I wonder if they aren't in a rush to do helmeted characters, especially since you can already buy quality reproductions of those helmets. How different would a SS Vader bust really be from a MR Vader helmet on your shelf, in the opinion of some people? I think they are going for characters that really distinguish SS busts from previous releases on the market AND give them a chance to do an accurate non-human facial sculpt. I'll bet that future busts continue in the direction of Greedo: non-masked aliens. (That being said, I would still buy a Boba Fett bust if given the chance.)

You might be right about that, still I am hoping for a Vador bust, because I hope it will be less expensive then a MR Vador Helmet. I don't need to worry about the quality, I am very certain that the bust will be at least equally attractive then the MR Helmet, if not even more attractive!

tomandshell said:
I wonder if they aren't in a rush to do helmeted characters, especially since you can already buy quality reproductions of those helmets. How different would a SS Vader bust really be from a MR Vader helmet on your shelf, in the opinion of some people? I think they are going for characters that really distinguish SS busts from previous releases on the market AND give them a chance to do an accurate non-human facial sculpt. I'll bet that future busts continue in the direction of Greedo: non-masked aliens. (That being said, I would still buy a Boba Fett bust if given the chance.)

Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I don't really see the appeal of a bust of a helmeted character. With the way that Sideshow has decided to do these, you would only get an extra bit of shoulder armor. I think they've made the right decision to release busts that are mostly sculpted. I originally wasn't excited about this line, because I thought they would just make Vader, Stormtrooper, etc. That would be really boring to me personally, and I love the direction they are going right now. I want both of the announced busts so far.

elwood49 said:
... I originally wasn't excited about this line, because I thought they would just make Vader, Stormtrooper, etc. That would be really boring to me personally, and I love the direction they are going right now. I want both of the announced busts so far.

With me, it's just the opposite. I wouldn't spend the kind of money they are asking on either one of the Star Wars 1:1 busts Sideshow has made until now. But I would spend it on a Vader and a Stormtrooper.

Don't know how many of you dug a little deeper into the link Chris King posted in his 1:4-scale Christopher Reeve Superman statue thread, but here's what a SC Vader bust might look like:

https://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3800139

A great collection imaginatively displayed!

angl_tsr_clr.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah,

I love Chris' collection. Very classy and not "junky" like a lot of other collections.

Now if he would just hurry and finish my Superman....

Definitely a great display.

I really like the selections SS has made thus far for there 1:1 busts. I really think a helmet bust would be a waste. I would expect something more challenging and that can show off the SS sculptor's skills much better like an actual face especially the aliens.

I don't want to imply that sculpting a helmet would be easy, but I really think that genre has been handled from most angles with other companies and I would prefer to see more original creations from SS.

:horror oh my ****ing god at this point im crying seeing vader in front of that backgound and very nice collection there thanks for the dude

Which is the MR vader bust and what does it cost? Anyone have links to pictures of it? Is it dead on accuracy?

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the link !

No offense to anyone who bought the MR version, but based on the pictures & description, this seems like one of the biggest rip offs ever - way over priced !! :horror

I have all the MR helmets on order, but I would gladly give'em up if SS made the same character in 1:1 bust form. The SS bust's are much more like fine art which appeals to me more than the MR wearable replica helmets.

Also, if SS did make a 1:1 Vader bust, I would definitely expect it to cost more than the MR helmet.

Mini-Rock said:
I have all the MR helmets on order, but I would gladly give'em up if SS made the same character in 1:1 bust form. The SS bust's are much more like fine art which appeals to me more than the MR wearable replica helmets.

Also, if SS did make a 1:1 Vader bust, I would definitely expect it to cost more than the MR helmet.

I would also expect a SS 1:1 Vader bust to cost more than the MR helmet. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a 1:1 bust over the helm BUT only if the bust went all the way down to the chest box like Chris's does. I wouldn't want a Vader bust that is cut off like Maul is:

2909image017io.jpg

Why didn't they make Maul without a stand like the SS Predator bust? The stand on the Maul bust looks very cheap, IMO.

2904image016su.jpg

Here is a pic of the MR Vader helm beside the guy who won Edition #1. Note the size comparison. It's basically a 1:1 bust anyway.

mervinbig8zr.jpg

This pic basically shows that there is not much more to the Maul bust than the Vader helm in terms of what is underneath the head.

Actually, looking at that guy with his helmet, he has the inner helmet flap folded down!! LOL Take a look at it just to the right of the stand.

Last edited:
They could do a full size vader bust they could make it anakin right before he wears the helmet all burnt and suited up just no helmet yet. It's just an idea to throw out there....................OUT

I cant get over how mind blowing that collection display is! I bear to think of the costs, but its truly spectacular! Im currently in the proccess of laying out where some framed posters are going to be set in my room. I plan on getting an Aliens, Indiana Jones Raider of the Lost Arc, a nightmare on elm street and Star wars posters all framed and set out around my room. Can you believe Im already planning on where my 1/4 scales will go! I think alittle to far ahead lol.

Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread but, I need to ask, Which poster would you get if you could only get one. The original Star Wars poster or the Empire Strikes Back one. I like ESB much more as a movie but the traditional poster from the original looks amazing.

these are the posters I mean,
SWAREPR.JPG

EMPIREAREPR.JPG

Again sorry for hijacking!

umm...I'd love to see a 1:1 Vader bust made, not to get, but to look in awe at, Sidehsow could do a superb job. But Id also expect more complex looking character sculpts too.

elwood49 said:
I would also expect a SS 1:1 Vader bust to cost more than the MR helmet. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a 1:1 bust over the helm BUT only if the bust went all the way down to the chest box like Chris's does. I wouldn't want a Vader bust that is cut off like Maul is:.

I completely agree!! Gotta have shoulders and chest. I have confidence that Sideshow would do it this way because the guys that run the company were once (and probably still are) huge collectors and movie fans like us and know how to do it right and the importance of doing it right.

Though I think Maul is O.K. the way he is and kinda like the base, though it could be a little bigger.

In addition, I also would love to have a face underneath.

Abut the posters, both are excellent, so I would go with the ESB just because of the sentimental connection you have with it being that it's your favorite. Unless of course the colors on the original poster blend much better with your room colors.

Dave

Back