How many would easily pay extra for customized 1/6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra to help Sideshow compensate for the customization costs?

• Yes

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 42.7%

• Total voters

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know I certainly would! I just read the Sideshow interview where they express concerns over doing customized figures like C-3PO and R2-D2 because the retail price would jump. But I think more people would be willing to pay extra than they think. I, for one, have never been interested in any 1/4 figures, not because of the cost, but because of the lack of articulation. I want to be able to change the pose of a figure from time to time. I also never purchased action figures or Hasbro 12-inchers because of the lack of resemblance to the original characters. These 1/6 figures appear to be the perfect balance between posability and character likeness.

I understand that the only way Sideshow is able to keep the price down on figures like the 1/6 Luke is because he has a standard body type. But that is why I would easly pay 3 or 4x more for a well done customized body type for characters like C-3PO, R2-D2, and Chewbacca. Sideshow needs to know that there is a market for more expensive 1/6 figures. If you feel the same as me, please let yourself known!

I dont know about 3-4 times, but maybe 2 times if it had some nice features that I deemed were worth it.

Jesse

How articulate are the Hasbro droids? Does C-3PO look plasticy? I would rather pay extra for a good quality piece to display than to save money on something that would look cheap and embarassing to put on the shelf. But I also don't want a fixed statue.

I also want to mention that I am not rich nor do I collect many things. But I have always had fond memories of enjoying the imaginative universe of the original trilogy during my childhood in the 80's and 90's. I would like to commemorate this with a collection of figures portraying my favorite characters. For years, I could not do this because the Hasbro dolls did not close enough resemble character faces.

Finally, with Medicom's Darth Vader and SSC's Jedi Luke, I see products that can be proudly displayed, not simply as a toy, but as immortalized characters in the Star Wars universe. It would be a real shame if great characters like the droids, Chewbacca, and Yoda are never made because of cost issues. I, like most everyone else, have to spend wisely and certainly don't have money to burn. But if it costs more to have a figure done right, then so be it. I would rather spend a little more on a custom than to see the figure only reach half its potential or never be produced at all.

Last edited:
$60 would be about my limit. There's no way I'd $100-$150 for a 1/6 figure, that's just too much.

Hasbro's R2 is pretty good, it will be very hard to beat. I've read here how 3PO is too big, but I think he'll fit in with the taller SSC bodies. But I would definitely pay double the price for a less toy-like 3PO.

And non-humans like Grievous, Jabba could definitely demand a premium and I think people would pay it.

To those who wouldn't spend more than $100: Would you ever buy a 1/4 figure? Those go for $250 on up. I see that most of them are sold out even though they are fixed statues.

Maybe...

I voted Yes, but there should have been a Maybe option. It will depend on the 'extra' cost and how good the figure looks. I do collect the 1/4 scale figures, and if a 1/6 starts approaching the price of a 1/4, then that just doesn't make sense to me. :google

Icummins, I agree with you. But don't you see an advantage to articulated appendages? I wouldn't purchase a statue because I would like to change the character's stance from time to time. For me, this is worth the extra cost for Sideshow to make a custom body type for a figure like droids or Yoda. How can we collect figures without a Yoda??? :)

I'd go as high as $75, but VERY rarely. I simply couldn't collect at that level. I have enought trouble with $40, let alone $50!
It'd have to be the quentissential, "dead-on balls accurate", everything you could ever want in one box version for me to shell out that kind of cash. For me, the Medicom Vader was an example of such a figure. If they can do that, or better? I'd pay up. Definitely.

I'd go as high as $150-$200 for a General Grievous and that hairy bastard Chewbacca.
There aren't many characters that would call for this kinda treatment in Star Wars, but for those two I would plunk down the money without hesitation.
If I can Spend $200 for a Spider-Man and Rocketeer figure from Japan, I can spend that much on a Chewbacca. But they would have to be perfect, no compromises.

I would certainly pay more for droids, Chewie, Yoda, Grevious, amongst others. The amount over the current retail of $50.00 probably depends on the character, and really, how effectively Sideshow can pull off the likeness, scale, etc... I can't imagine a line without Chewie, Yoda, R2 and 3PO, and I would be glad to fork out something in the $75-$100 range for these characters. Grevious I might even be willing to spend a little more for too. Would I pay a premium to get Boss Nass, as he might require a custom fatbody, nope. Would I pay a premium to get Jek Porkins, as he might require a custom fatbody, yep!

I perfect hairy Chewie for $200 - yep, I'd go for that. However I think there might be a bit of an uproar from the casual collector. "I got Han for $50, but I have to pay $200 for his partner that he can't do without?"

But I don't think that should stop them - MAKE ME A HAIRY CHEWIE!

Yes, and I think having actual synthetic fur on his body is a must. His fur is basically his clothing and if the human characters wear clothes made of fabric and not plastic, then his fur needs the same treatment! Otherwise, he just won't look right standing next to the other characters.

Definitely - no fully sculpted or rubber suit for Chewie - he must be a PERFECT HAIRY CHEWIE!

so that's my new catchphrase - PERFECT HAIRY CHEWIE!

Cost and Chewie

It depends on how bad do you want a figure to say if you're willing. I mean, there are some figs I wouldn't pay more than $50 for, but for yet another (like one I'd been looking for for three years, I'd pay up to $130, and this is the 12" scale). Then again, there's also the exclusivity and details. One had individual diecast bullets in the magazine belt for an MG-42.

As for Chewie... I've seen the really furry one and the 'better scaled yet tree-looking" one. If you can have a hairy yet scaled Chewie... THAT would be awesome.

On another note, one reason I started to lose a little interest in a few figures is because of the ungodly amount of accessories they come with. I mean, to make it look realistic, they give you items that would go... INSIDE their pockets. nice and all, but it's...IN THEIR POCKETS, and no displayed. :)

So... in short. Yes, CHewie, if done properly, which I'm sure SS would do.
and don't over accessorize. :) his wookie belt would be interesting to check out.

I see your point...

JustinLuck said:
Icummins, I agree with you. But don't you see an advantage to articulated appendages? I wouldn't purchase a statue because I would like to change the character's stance from time to time. For me, this is worth the extra cost for Sideshow to make a custom body type for a figure like droids or Yoda. How can we collect figures without a Yoda??? :)

Yes, if one is an action figure collector first and foremost, I agree, articulation is important. For me personally, I never really collected action figures, unless you count my GI Joes from the 60's and early 70's. I don't really want to re-pose them much as long as they come in a fairly good pose to begin with, so I do like statues and such. I was more than happy when they began moving away from articulation on the 1/4 scale figures, which were just too dangerous to try and pose anyway! Having said all that, I do collect action figures these days, and even though I don't re-pose them now, I might want to eventually, so... :joy

$200 bucks for a 1/6th action figure?! No-freakin-way.

I'm attracted to the Sideshow line because of their dedication to detailing and their track record with their other 1/6th lines, but I'm not about to spend more than $50.00 on one of their 1/6th scaled action figures.

If DML/Dragon and BBI can produce a super-detailed and super-loaded-with-gear military figure for $40.00, there's no reason why Sideshow can't produce a Star Wars figure (which will NOT be coming with the amount of extras that the other two manufacturers provide) for around the same price.

Taking the Luke figure as an example, He comes with a bone, 3 extra hands, a stand and in the case of the exclusive, a blaster. That's it, folks. There's no headgear, no extra clothing, there's no miniature cloth items, no extra weapons, basically nothing else to justify any type of price hike.

If (and I hope) they do a Chewie in 1/6th, he'll come with his bandoleer and his crossbow blaster. That's all he needs. But because of the lack of any extras, I STILL expect his price to be about $50.00.

Perhaps to many of you, plunking down $200 bills on a 1/6th action figure makes sense and is affordable. To me, it's neither. I'd rather put that $200 into a 1/4 PF figure.

Back