PDA

View Full Version : How many would easily pay extra for customized 1/6 figures?

JustinLuck
11-16-2005, 08:30 AM
I know I certainly would! I just read the Sideshow interview where they express concerns over doing customized figures like C-3PO and R2-D2 because the retail price would jump. But I think more people would be willing to pay extra than they think. I, for one, have never been interested in any 1/4 figures, not because of the cost, but because of the lack of articulation. I want to be able to change the pose of a figure from time to time. I also never purchased action figures or Hasbro 12-inchers because of the lack of resemblance to the original characters. These 1/6 figures appear to be the perfect balance between posability and character likeness.

I understand that the only way Sideshow is able to keep the price down on figures like the 1/6 Luke is because he has a standard body type. But that is why I would easly pay 3 or 4x more for a well done customized body type for characters like C-3PO, R2-D2, and Chewbacca. Sideshow needs to know that there is a market for more expensive 1/6 figures. If you feel the same as me, please let yourself known!

Jesseawilson
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I dont know about 3-4 times, but maybe 2 times if it had some nice features that I deemed were worth it.

Jesse

EVILFACE
11-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Around 75 bucks would be my limit. Hasbro did make some good droid figures.

JustinLuck
11-16-2005, 10:12 AM
How articulate are the Hasbro droids? Does C-3PO look plasticy? I would rather pay extra for a good quality piece to display than to save money on something that would look cheap and embarassing to put on the shelf. But I also don't want a fixed statue.

I also want to mention that I am not rich nor do I collect many things. But I have always had fond memories of enjoying the imaginative universe of the original trilogy during my childhood in the 80's and 90's. I would like to commemorate this with a collection of figures portraying my favorite characters. For years, I could not do this because the Hasbro dolls did not close enough resemble character faces.

Finally, with Medicom's Darth Vader and SSC's Jedi Luke, I see products that can be proudly displayed, not simply as a toy, but as immortalized characters in the Star Wars universe. It would be a real shame if great characters like the droids, Chewbacca, and Yoda are never made because of cost issues. I, like most everyone else, have to spend wisely and certainly don't have money to burn. But if it costs more to have a figure done right, then so be it. I would rather spend a little more on a custom than to see the figure only reach half its potential or never be produced at all.

TheObsoleteMan
11-16-2005, 10:44 AM
$60 would be about my limit. There's no way I'd $100-$150 for a 1/6 figure, that's just too much.

Darklord Dave
11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Hasbro's R2 is pretty good, it will be very hard to beat. I've read here how 3PO is too big, but I think he'll fit in with the taller SSC bodies. But I would definitely pay double the price for a less toy-like 3PO.

And non-humans like Grievous, Jabba could definitely demand a premium and I think people would pay it.

JustinLuck
11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
To those who wouldn't spend more than $100: Would you ever buy a 1/4 figure? Those go for $250 on up. I see that most of them are sold out even though they are fixed statues.

EVILFACE
11-16-2005, 11:17 AM
No interest in statues, action figures only.

lcummins
11-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I voted Yes, but there should have been a Maybe option. It will depend on the 'extra' cost and how good the figure looks. I do collect the 1/4 scale figures, and if a 1/6 starts approaching the price of a 1/4, then that just doesn't make sense to me. :google

JustinLuck
11-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Icummins, I agree with you. But don't you see an advantage to articulated appendages? I wouldn't purchase a statue because I would like to change the character's stance from time to time. For me, this is worth the extra cost for Sideshow to make a custom body type for a figure like droids or Yoda. How can we collect figures without a Yoda??? :)

bluesparrow
11-17-2005, 12:11 AM
I'd buy an in-scale, fully articulated 12" scale Grievous for $150.

Customikey
11-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I'd go as high as $75, but VERY rarely. I simply couldn't collect at that level. I have enought trouble with $40, let alone $50!
It'd have to be the quentissential, "dead-on balls accurate", everything you could ever want in one box version for me to shell out that kind of cash. For me, the Medicom Vader was an example of such a figure. If they can do that, or better? I'd pay up. Definitely.

screamingmetal
11-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd go as high as $150-$200 for a General Grievous and that hairy bastard Chewbacca.
There aren't many characters that would call for this kinda treatment in Star Wars, but for those two I would plunk down the money without hesitation.
If I can Spend $200 for a Spider-Man and Rocketeer figure from Japan, I can spend that much on a Chewbacca. But they would have to be perfect, no compromises.

Seaward
11-17-2005, 05:22 PM
I would certainly pay more for droids, Chewie, Yoda, Grevious, amongst others. The amount over the current retail of $50.00 probably depends on the character, and really, how effectively Sideshow can pull off the likeness, scale, etc... I can't imagine a line without Chewie, Yoda, R2 and 3PO, and I would be glad to fork out something in the $75-$100 range for these characters. Grevious I might even be willing to spend a little more for too. Would I pay a premium to get Boss Nass, as he might require a custom fatbody, nope. Would I pay a premium to get Jek Porkins, as he might require a custom fatbody, yep!

Darklord Dave
11-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I perfect hairy Chewie for $200 - yep, I'd go for that. However I think there might be a bit of an uproar from the casual collector. "I got Han for $50, but I have to pay $200 for his partner that he can't do without?"

But I don't think that should stop them - MAKE ME A HAIRY CHEWIE!

JustinLuck
11-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Yes, and I think having actual synthetic fur on his body is a must. His fur is basically his clothing and if the human characters wear clothes made of fabric and not plastic, then his fur needs the same treatment! Otherwise, he just won't look right standing next to the other characters.

Darklord Dave
11-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Definitely - no fully sculpted or rubber suit for Chewie - he must be a PERFECT HAIRY CHEWIE!

so that's my new catchphrase - PERFECT HAIRY CHEWIE!

Bum
11-17-2005, 10:26 PM
It depends on how bad do you want a figure to say if you're willing. I mean, there are some figs I wouldn't pay more than $50 for, but for yet another (like one I'd been looking for for three years, I'd pay up to $130, and this is the 12" scale). Then again, there's also the exclusivity and details. One had individual diecast bullets in the magazine belt for an MG-42.

As for Chewie... I've seen the really furry one and the 'better scaled yet tree-looking" one. If you can have a hairy yet scaled Chewie... THAT would be awesome.

On another note, one reason I started to lose a little interest in a few figures is because of the ungodly amount of accessories they come with. I mean, to make it look realistic, they give you items that would go... INSIDE their pockets. nice and all, but it's...IN THEIR POCKETS, and no displayed. :)

So... in short. Yes, CHewie, if done properly, which I'm sure SS would do.
and don't over accessorize. :) his wookie belt would be interesting to check out.

lcummins
11-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Icummins, I agree with you. But don't you see an advantage to articulated appendages? I wouldn't purchase a statue because I would like to change the character's stance from time to time. For me, this is worth the extra cost for Sideshow to make a custom body type for a figure like droids or Yoda. How can we collect figures without a Yoda??? :)

Yes, if one is an action figure collector first and foremost, I agree, articulation is important. For me personally, I never really collected action figures, unless you count my GI Joes from the 60's and early 70's. I don't really want to re-pose them much as long as they come in a fairly good pose to begin with, so I do like statues and such. I was more than happy when they began moving away from articulation on the 1/4 scale figures, which were just too dangerous to try and pose anyway! Having said all that, I do collect action figures these days, and even though I don't re-pose them now, I might want to eventually, so... :joy

FlyAndFight
11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
$200 bucks for a 1/6th action figure?! No-freakin-way.

I'm attracted to the Sideshow line because of their dedication to detailing and their track record with their other 1/6th lines, but I'm not about to spend more than $50.00 on one of their 1/6th scaled action figures.

If DML/Dragon and BBI can produce a super-detailed and super-loaded-with-gear military figure for $40.00, there's no reason why Sideshow can't produce a Star Wars figure (which will NOT be coming with the amount of extras that the other two manufacturers provide) for around the same price.

Taking the Luke figure as an example, He comes with a bone, 3 extra hands, a stand and in the case of the exclusive, a blaster. That's it, folks. There's no headgear, no extra clothing, there's no miniature cloth items, no extra weapons, basically nothing else to justify any type of price hike.

If (and I hope) they do a Chewie in 1/6th, he'll come with his bandoleer and his crossbow blaster. That's all he needs. But because of the lack of any extras, I STILL expect his price to be about $50.00.

Perhaps to many of you, plunking down $200 bills on a 1/6th action figure makes sense and is affordable. To me, it's neither. I'd rather put that $200 into a 1/4 PF figure.

Darklord Dave
11-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Amount of accessories isn't the only thing that determines cost. Dragon and BBi reuse items continually. That is only occaisionally possible for SSC figures.

There is also the cost of the license. Star Wars is probably the most expensive license SSC has ever secured.

And to say that just because Chewie won't come with a lot of accessories means the figure shouldn't be expensive doesn't take into account the R&D required to produce a perfect hairy Chewie nor the increased costs of production to make him.

FlyAndFight
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
The license is certainly a determining factor in pricing. With that in mind, I'm not about to pay $200 or even $100 for a "hairy Chewie" because George Lucas is taking a big piece of the pie.

Dragon and BBI do reuse much of the items in their military line but there's also items that are specific to that figure released that are not reused again, or if so, on one or two other figures. I also collect their WWII and Modern military lines. Have done so for years.

As for my limit on a figure, That's just me. I'm a collector of Star Wars items. I've got just about ALL of the Hasbro 12" line figures. Some are amazing. Some are atrocious. But Hasbro also had to pay Georgie his cut of the pie and they offered most of their figures in the $20 price range. Hasbro also had R&D costs on each of their figures and accessories. IF Sideshow will be limiting the ES on their 1/6 SW lines, then I could understand a slightly higher price on the end item. But if they will be manufacturing 10,000+ of each of these figures, I don't see how a $200 Hairy Chewie is justifiable. Again, that's just my opinion.

I'm not knocking Sideshow here. Please understand that FOR ME, spending $200 bucks on an action figure is not an option I wish to take.

SolidLiquidFox
11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
To anyone willing to spend $200 into an action figure all I got I say is "more power to you". Bless you and your deep wallets.

Let's not lose perspective here. These are action figures. They should be price reasonably. The $30 premium over the Hasbro 12" line is barely acceptable as is if the intention is to make this product widely accesible. One thing is looking out/understanding Sideshow's cost of production as a company. Another thing is just disregarding our budget for collectibles by saying "we love you Sideshow and you can charge us as much as it takes"

I agree with others that I would rather spend the extra money in PF 1/4. The only reason why I am supporting the SW 12" line is because the cost is reasonably proportionate to the quality. You go into the $200 realm and you lost me.

FrankenFan
11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Wasn't it stated during one of the Fantacular chats that the 1:6 Star Wars figures would be priced between $50 and $100? If true, would the higher range apply to characters like Vader, Chewie, the Droids, etc., or would those figures demand a premium beyond that?

I have minor interest in Star Wars compared to most of you guys, but I am interested in picking up the core OT characters. However, as lcummins said, if the 1:6 figures start approaching the price of the PFs, as a casual fan, I would have a hard time justifying the cost.

On the other hand, I'd pay a more for must-have Uni Monster figures like Ygor, Maleva, and Dr. Pretorious, and as a hardcore fan of the Buffyverse, I'd pay a premium for more complex figures like the Judge. I guess it all comes down to how obsessed you are with your particular obsession.

http://www.kurtgoldzung.com/MB/skip.jpg

Darklord Dave
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
I do believe they are intent on staying below the $100 line and someone like Vader or Fett might warrant this price. But they say they can't do Greivous for this price and thus won't do him, and the question was "would we pay more to get figures that wouldn't fall into the this price." I'm thinking Chewie would be one of these, but if they can do a perfect hairy Chewie for $100, I'm all for it.

TheObsoleteMan
11-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't see any reason why Boba Fett should be $100. His outfit may have a bit of armor on it, but it's not super complicated, and he doesn't need many accessories. Aside from something really complex like a well done fur suit for Chewie or a General Grievous, I don't see why any of these should be more than $60-$65 at most, even Vader.

JustinLuck
11-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I am the one who started this thread and I just want to make it clear that I am not about throwing money into the wind. I have bills to pay and a limited budget like everyone else. And yes, I do expect reasonable prices from ANY company that I do business with.

But what concerns me is the following: If Luke costs $50 (using a SSC body with relatively basic clothing, accessories) how in the world are they going to produce a decent looking C-3PO, R2-D2, Yoda, and Chewbacca for a similar price?? I don't think Sideshow has ever produced a 1/6 figure that doesn't use one of their premolded articulate bodies. I have no idea if Sideshow will ever budge from this stance; maybe we will never see these characters because of this practice. But I, myself, cannot imagine a collection of figures without these principal characters! If I will never see these characters in 1/6 scale, then I almost feel like I should not even start collecting at all. So that is why I would rather see Sideshow take the plunge and develop new articulate bodies while selling them at a pricepoint (taking into account economies of scale) that maintains their current revenue. Otherwise, what incentive does Sideshow have to make these complex, but necessary characters?

TheObsoleteMan
11-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I could actually see them doing Yoda for a comparable price to Luke. Sure they'd need to develop a new body, but not a partciularly complex one, and the small size would mean less materials, plastic, cloth etc. than the normal sized guys.

Bum
11-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Hmm. For Luke, just because we've seen the Medicom and the Hasbro versions, I liked what I saw of the Sideshow version. I'm tempted to, once I get my SS version, to put it in front of the Hasbro version and have a Luke vs doppelganger 'scene'. Yeah, when I saw the $50 price, I paused and considered it... but then considered how much (as an average) I might have to face when it comes to trying for it on ebay. If I can get it cheaper...IF... I would. But looking at exclusivity size (which would be nice to know before it goes on sale) would be a nice deciding factor. As far as Luke's accessories... when he wore this outfit in the movie, he didn't have that much on him anyways. so he was done just right. If it weren't for the license, he may have been in the 40-45 range, like the other figures.

"Hmm. Luke looks pretty cool... but do I want to pay $50 for it? Well, there are only 1000 [hypothetical] of it... and I am an exclusive snob... i'll get it now."

"There're 6000 of Luke, doesn't have as much stuff, detail is ok... and selling for $65-70? Pass."

There are several factors.

As for Boba Fett? IF Fett ...and again, this is a capitalized IF, ... IF Fett had his usual blaster rifle, pretty darn good detail on his sculpt and costume selection, had an ample amount of accessories *, MAYBE even make his armor... 'diecast', a potential $80-100 might be warranted.

No offense to the statue and bust collectors, because I do admire the art and collectivity of these items, but for something like ... a 1:4 helm/crown that goes for $100+ on ebay, or a Ringwraith on a Steed statue from LOTR going for $500-700... some folks would think, dude, that is just..wrong. And yet peope out there still buy them.

It all depends on the people...and the item in question.

bluesparrow
11-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Boba Fett doesn't need to be $100, that'd be a ripoff. I think the higher pricepoint figures will be ones who need entirely new bodies. I doubt there's more work needed for Boba than for the $60 Creature, for example.

SolidLiquidFox
11-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Boba Fett doesn't need to be $100, that'd be a ripoff. I think the higher pricepoint figures will be ones who need entirely new bodies. I doubt there's more work needed for Boba than for the $60 Creature, for example.

I agree.

Boba and the rest of the clones/stormtroopers should be price around the $50 range. If we are going to nickle and dime for every armor plate covering in their body then we'll be looking at $100 every time. I am sure SS will even out on these at $50 since the variants for these clones are just slight paint variations.

I wonder if the clones will have a face sculpt for a removable helmet effect. I also wonder if they would do that for Boba Fett...

Darklord Dave
11-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I think removeable helmets was nixed in the interview Brock did with rebelscum. They would have to be too oversized to fit over a sculpted head. I paid $100 for the Marmit Fett and considered myself lucky. And I had to put that together myself, and the body wasn't all that great. $50 is the base price for these things. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to charge a bit more for armored characters. Heck, Hasblow's Jango was $50 and they made 10 times the number SSC will.

JustinLuck
11-19-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm quite sure why the helmets necessarily need to be oversized to fit over a sculpted head. The Medicom Vader's mask looks like it is in correct proportion and the head doesn't look too small either.

TheObsoleteMan
11-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I could understand removable helmets being a problem on characters with sculpted hair, but it shouldn't be a problem with Vader. After having seen the level of quality on jedi Luke, I can't imagine Sideshow would lower the bar for themselves and not give Vader a removable helmet.

Customikey
11-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Considering the number of great figures they've givne us already with removable helmets (Red Death, Phantom, Kroenen, Jason, etc.) I'd be surprised if they didn't give us at least a few such figures.

Vader is a must, as is Jango. We don't need a removable helmet on the Troopers, really, and especially not Boba. Let's face it, even thought we know what his Dad looked like, there's no telling what time did to Boba's face! I prfefer the mystery there.

If not removable helmets, I could see alternate heads! How about the Stormtroopers come with alternate Luke or Han heads!!!

TheObsoleteMan
11-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Boba absolutely should not have a removable helmet. I don't care what the prequels say, I do not want Jango's head under that helmet.

JustinLuck
11-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Boba absolutely should not have a removable helmet. I don't care what the prequels say, I do not want Jango's head under that helmet.

I still have not watched the original trilogy DVDs for this reason.

Darklord Dave
11-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Good point - Vader, Kroenen, Jason are all bald so a removeable helmet/mask isn't that much of a problem.

bluesparrow
11-20-2005, 03:09 AM
I never understood the oversized removeable helmet thing - how'd the costume helmets in the actual film be a normal size if it is so impossible?

I suppose they could just do swappable heads. There'd be an advantage to them doing that, since the same sculpt could be used for boba, jango, clone troopers, etc to save costs.

TheObsoleteMan
11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I never understood the oversized removeable helmet thing - how'd the costume helmets in the actual film be a normal size if it is so impossible?

Because real hair lays down flat when you put a hat or helmet on it, sculpted hair doesn't.

bluesparrow
11-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Because real hair lays down flat when you put a hat or helmet on it, sculpted hair doesn't.

So sculpt the hair flat? I get hat hair from a baseball cap, I imagine they would from a full helmet.

TheObsoleteMan
11-20-2005, 04:44 PM
So sculpt the hair flat? I get hat hair from a baseball cap, I imagine they would from a full helmet.

They did that with the Van Helsing figure and the effect wasn't very flattering.

JustinLuck
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I agree. I think swapable heads is the best answer. But if they do that, I would also like a hollow helmet so you could have the figure holding it in his hands when he has his 'sans helmet' head.

BTW, do Sideshow bodies use ball jointed necks?

Customikey
11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
BTW, do Sideshow bodies use ball jointed necks?

They do, except for talking figures like Scarface and R. Lee Ermey.
I almost want to replace the body on my Tony Montana, because the ball jointed neck adds so much personality. He can't do his signature pose from the poster!!
Also, certain figures like Jason pt. 2 has a sculpted head down to the shoulders, so no neck articulation there. Hopefully we won't see that sort of thing with this line.

screamingmetal
11-21-2005, 07:18 PM

I suppose they could just do swappable heads. There'd be an advantage to them doing that, since the same sculpt could be used for boba, jango, clone troopers, etc to save costs.
Unfortunately, all the Clones in AOTC and ROTS were all computer generated. They never made practical working helmets for these characters so they'll most likely have to be made with their helmets sculpted in place as heads. Still, there are many others that would require removable helmets:
-Vader in ROTJ
-Jango Fett
-Luke and Han in Stormtrooper costumes
-Leia in Bosh disguise
-Luke and Leia in Endor gear
-Luke in X-Wing gear
-Han and luke with Headphones and mikes in ANH when they are manning the Falcon's guns
Luke and Han on Hoth
-Obi-Wan Kenobi in Clone trooper armor from Clone Wars animated
-Obi-Wan, and Anakin with their headphones on when they pilot their Starships in ROTS
-Luke in helmet with the blast shield down in ANH
-and the various Rebellion army guys
I can live with most of them having non removable helmets/head gear and I'm not really interested in Luke with the blast shield down in ANH, but I hope Sideshow does include secondary heads of many of these.
I think only Vader would be practical to make with removable helmet.
It may sound crazy but I'd really like Luke and Han with their gunner headphones on and Obi-Wan in his clone trooper armor with a helmeted head. :google

Darklord Dave
11-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Obi-Wan in Clone Trooper armor - well I'm sure that will be the winner of the next EU poll!

And I think the headsets could conceiveably done as an accessory. It won't look exactly right, but I can't see sculpting a whole new head this way.

bluesparrow
11-21-2005, 09:51 PM
I was referring mainly to the Storm troopers in the original trilogy - their helmets didn't seem oversized. The hair thing makes sense - though if they say they can't do the Leia in Boussh disguise because of that, I'm calling BS(since she'd have rooted hair).

SolidLiquidFox
11-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Obi-Wan in Clone Trooper armor - well I'm sure that will be the winner of the next EU poll!

I agree. I guess with the elevated prices of the Clone Wars Maquettes from GG people want to get cheaper versions of these characters in these outfits. I own all the CW maquettes and I don't blame them.

screamingmetal
11-22-2005, 06:51 PM
It would work for Stormtrooper helmets, but other then Luke and Han there wouldn't be much need of removable helmets. It would mean that their hair sculpt might be different, they had some long hair back then.
But it hasn't been fully established what the Stormtroopers look like under the helmets, they could've changed the Clone Stock for the Imperial army.

As much as I would like a General Kenobi in Clone armor, I have to insist that it be left off the next EU Poll if there is one. I think Sideshow would've learned that it erupts in too much controversy. They just have to make one outside of the EU polls and it will sell. Just EU Characters in EU POlls thank you.
Personally, I was never interested in the Clone Wars Maquettes, I love the Clone Wars Cartoon, but not that style for action figures of any sort. But it may be a part of the demand for that cursed Padme figure.

JustinLuck
11-23-2005, 10:30 AM
LOL, yeah, she's going to look more like a Bratz doll than anything else.

Agent0028
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
It seems like someone said it was unlikely it would be the cartoon style. I think it was first mentioned in the message system they have that comes with news announcements, and then later during the fantacular chat. I could be mistaken, or they could change their minds. It'll be interesting to see.

Darklord Dave
11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Padme will be realistic - NOT cartoon style. That's been said unequivocally.

SolidLiquidFox
11-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Seeing how Natalie Portman never wore that outfit it will be interesting to see her face in it.

This will sell out faster than Luke for sure. The Clone Wars maquette people want their Padme Snow Bunny. That alone will bring lots of folks in looking for it.

Masao
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
No matter how you vote the truth is: you have already.

But getting away from individual figures for a moment: the one thing that has always been is an old idea (one I had long ago) that has never been used: Ranks.

No SW collection could be complete without massive amounts of troops. Why doesn't SS or other company make rows and rows of immoveable figures? Sets of 5 or so figures could add up quickly. They could also be made with less expense than articulated figures.

Imagine how impressive shots of the hangar decks of the Deathstar would be without them. What about the Medal Ceremony?

Storm Troopers, Clone Troopers, Wookies, Rebels etc etc etc...would all work.

mfoga
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM

But getting away from individual figures for a moment: the one thing that has always been is an old idea (one I had long ago) that has never been used: Ranks.

No SW collection could be complete without massive amounts of troops. Why doesn't SS or other company make rows and rows of immoveable figures? Sets of 5 or so figures could add up quickly. They could also be made with less expense than articulated figures.

Imagine how impressive shots of the hangar decks of the Deathstar would be without them. What about the Medal Ceremony?

WOW that was one hell of a bump. :emperor

EVILFACE
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM

It's about time.

We've waited 2 years for your opinion!

:lol

BadMoon
11-12-2007, 08:32 PM

They sure did! They just need repainted. :cool:

Masao
11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
It's about time.

We've waited 2 years for your opinion!

Well, I have been stuck trying to catch up with the "Save the Planet of the Apes!!!" thread.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

mfoga
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, I have been stuck trying to catch up with the "Save the Planet of the Apes!!!" thread.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

For the last two years?

Wor-Gar
11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
How the hell did you even find this thread?

Masao
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
How the hell did you even find this thread?

I was on the list when I logged in.

Memnoch
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I was on the list when I logged in.

What list? Maybe the ones at the bottom of the page that shows related threads? Theres no way the main list would show a thread THIS old.

FlyAndFight
11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
What was hilarious is how he replied as if no time had passed. :lol

ProgMatinee
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Whats funny in a :monkey2 kind of way is how 2 years have passed for this thread and we are basically still asking the same question to Sideshow about irregular figures.

abake
11-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I would pay more, but first we have to see if they can get their act together and give us a better basic body and clothing/tailoring.

EDIT: Huh?
This is an old thread?
Oh.

TOE
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
i would pay extra for better bodies and no lazy eye syndrome

pixletwin
11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
NECROPOSTING.... thats ok. Its still relevant...

I do pay extra. Just ask Les, Josh, and Glenn. :D

Mooncat
11-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Ditto . . .

JustinLuck
11-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow, this may have been one of the first posts I made on this forum!! Boy how naive I was back then.:D 3-4x the price??? Was I nuts? :lol

But seriously, if Sideshow wants to charge more for these figures, we need to see the results of investment. Over these past two years, observing the level of quality from various 1:6 manufacturers, Sideshow needs to up the ante if they want to remain competitive for my cash.

They already did one thing right by hiring Trevor Grove. :D

But they also need to improve their costume tailoring. When you see a 1:6 figure on display, of course facial likeness is number one. But what makes up the majority of the ~12-inch figure? The costumed body! It's the detail in the costuming that makes a figure visually interesting and a great display piece. The costume and the headsculpt mutually complement each other 1:1.

I understand that when designing a mass produced figure, of course there are compromises for practicality and cost reasons: including paint application, fabric matching, and the complexities of 1/6 tailoring.

But what I found when decontructing Han's jacket into a pattern was that the level of complexity in the stitching to mass tailor an accurate looking ESB jacket was all there. The problem lay in the design of the prototype--the initial measurements and proportions. Just as a factory reproducing a headsculpt has no say whether the sculptor made the nose too large or the eyebrows too high, they cannot improve upon a tailored prototype that they are paid to replicate.

I hear so often how expensive it is for Sideshow to make new plastic molds for new bodies / hands etc. And I already feel bad enough for the factory painters.

So I say, for my money, give it to the detail oriented artists like Trevor Grove and costume tailors who enjoy the work they produce and see each commission as an opportunity to increase their artistic aptitude to new levels of achievement. And when the work is completed, they can take pride in the knowledge that their hard work is now admired across the globe. :D

I also still think Sideshow should recognize the people who tailor their 1:6 costumes on the Sideshow product pages.

ProgMatinee
11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Wow, this may have been one of the first posts I made on this forum!! Boy how naive I was back then.:D 3-4x the price??? Was I nuts? :lol

But seriously, if Sideshow wants to charge more for these figures, we need to see the results of investment. Over these past two years, observing the level of quality from various 1:6 manufacturers, Sideshow needs to up the ante if they want to remain competitive for my cash.

They already did one thing right by hiring Trevor Grove. :D

But they also need to improve their costume tailoring. When you see a 1:6 figure on display, of course facial likeness is number one. But what makes up the majority of the ~12-inch figure? The costumed body! It's the detail in the costuming that makes a figure visually interesting and a great display piece. The costume and the headsculpt mutually complement each other 1:1.

I understand that when designing a mass produced figure, of course there are compromises for practicality and cost reasons: including paint application, fabric matching, and the complexities of 1/6 tailoring.

But what I found when decontructing Han's jacket into a pattern was that the level of complexity in the stitching to mass tailor an accurate looking ESB jacket was all there. The problem lay in the design of the prototype--the initial measurements and proportions. Just as a factory reproducing a headsculpt has no say whether the sculptor made the nose too large or the eyebrows too high, they cannot improve upon a tailored prototype that they are paid to replicate.

I hear so often how expensive it is for Sideshow to make new plastic molds for new bodies / hands etc. And I already feel bad enough for the factory painters.

So I say, for my money, give it to the detail oriented artists like Trevor Grove and costume tailors who enjoy the work they produce and see each commission as an opportunity to increase their artistic aptitude to new levels of achievement. And when the work is completed, they can take pride in the knowledge that their hard work is now admired across the globe. :D

I also still think Sideshow should recognize the people who tailor their 1:6 costumes on the Sideshow product pages.

Agree about 100% on all this. For my money costuming is of #1 importance and for me can aid in forgiving a poor paintjob. A good sculpt or paint job doesn't do much for me if I'm not happy with the costuming and I agree SSC should give more credit to the costumer.

Wor-Gar
11-13-2007, 04:53 PM
A good sculpt or paint job doesn't do much for me if I'm not happy with the costuming ...

Absolutely true!!!

Just look at the reaction to Ilum Padme.

Darth Cruel
11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Count me in.

Puay
11-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Count me out.

SolidLiquidFox
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
What was hilarious is how he replied as if no time had passed. :lol

this week...on a very special "Journeyman"...

DarkArtist81
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM

He does... :lol

And he is very patient with our delays. :monkey3

Being a customizer myself, I don't mind if something is not perfect... simply because I know I can do things to improve it enough to satisfy my urge to have a great collectible. And cheaper is better if I can fix it. :lol

But really, for those that DON'T customize... I can understand the desire to pay more and get it nicer upon arrival. Just saves you extra cost to ship it to me or Les, pay us, and then wait a few months to get it back.

pixletwin
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
He does... :lol

And he is very patient with our delays. :monkey3

:tap :tap :tap

:monkey3

DarkArtist81
11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
:tap :tap :tap

:monkey3

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Oh... Exciting news soon bro... Asajj is coming soon as is Han. :rock

Only one that always gives me Hell is Faramir.

pixletwin
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Oh... Exciting news soon bro... Asajj is coming soon as is Han. :rock

Only one that always gives me Hell is Faramir.

Oh I know Asajj will be AMAZING. I know all my stuff will be! :rock

Whats Faramir doing to give you hell?

Sachiel
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Agree about 100% on all this. For my money costuming is of #1 importance and for me can aid in forgiving a poor paintjob. A good sculpt or paint job doesn't do much for me if I'm not happy with the costuming and I agree SSC should give more credit to the costumer.

Yes and make the heads smaller and I'm good to go! :monkey5

BadMoon
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I would and in my opinion I have the best custom out there. And no I will not sell! :D

Anzik
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
This is really a moot point. They will make the big figures just because they like the challenge and the SW fans will buy them because; 1) They are SW fans, 2)They will be impressive and 3)Nothing like them has ever been done before.
The advantage they have going for them is that things like the droids that will require more product development will get multiple uses. C3PO has his Episode 2 look, his shiny Episode 3 look, his beat up and dirty look, and then you have the reuses of TC14, the white protocol droid, the red protocol droid and the same body for 4LOM. R2D2, has his specific looks, specific attachments, the Imperial black astromech droids, the Naboo astromechs, and all they need is a new head for R5D4, so there is a lot longevity in these bodies, just less profit in each. If they are smart they will go for volume on things like Troopers, droids, and expandable packs.
History has shown most SW collectors are easily separated from their money with a little persuasion.

EVILFACE
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Haha, you are fixin' to pay $200+ for a Hot Toys Bespin Luke.

Deak Starkiller
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
You're my density.

JustinLuck
10-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Seven years later...

I take it back! I take it baaack!!! :gah:

Uncanny Web-Slinger
10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
$60 would be about my limit. There's no way I'd $100-$150 for a 1/6 figure, that's just too much.

^ Oh how times have changed :lol

Rzeznikk
10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
The easy and simple answer for me is "NO."

VintijDroidGutzz
10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
With all the great advice on these boards.. I'd rather learn how to make my own. :huh :lol

EVILFACE
10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
^ Oh how times have changed :lol

Yup. People charge $60 now just for a sculpted neck.

Wor-Gar
10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I forgot how much I missed jesseawilson's avatar from the first page.

Bouncy little avatart...

SwedishHeat
10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
This thread is awesome. Best Necro Ever.

MarfMaster
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Well isn't this thread just the niftiest little time-capsule. :lol

Qrest Fourstar
10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I forgot how much I missed jesseawilson's avatar from the first page.

Bouncy little avatart...

Yes, I missed it too.

Haven't seen her dancing in a while. I wonder who she is...

shocktrooper_au
10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
it should be like insurance, every body pays $1-2 more on every figure to pay for the R&D on the unique figures so they can all be had for a reasonable price........no way I'd pay over $90 for a fig......

oh wait

DrQ2
10-07-2012, 05:12 PM
it should be like insurance, every body pays $1-2 more on every figure to pay for the R&D on the unique figures so they can all be had for a reasonable price........no way I'd pay over $90 for a fig......

oh wait

Yup, the last 3 have been over $130 each, the last one $124 (Odd you got more for less. )