DC Animation figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prefused

Super Freak
Reaction score
from the Batman/Superman/Justice League animated series by Kenner/Hasbro/Mattel.
anybody else here collect these? i just recently got back into them.
discuss.

Re: DCAU figures.

I have most of the Kenner stuff, started when the Batman TAS line first came out. I think I was 8 at the time, and was walking into Wal-Mart when I saw a kid walking out with the Combat Belt Batman. I dragged my mom straight to the toy aisle and couldn't believe how awesome the figures looked. I kinda miss those pre-internet days, where you didn't even know a line was being produced until you saw it one day in the store.

I bought all the main characters, an some Superman TAS stuff. My only regret was slacking on the TRU exclusive boxsets that had characters like Ras, Ventriloquist, and Lois Lane. But I was graduating HS at that point, and my mind was elsewhere.

I tried to get into the Mattel JLU stuff early on, but the quality was just too low for me to get into them.

I tried to get into the Mattel JLU stuff early on, but the quality was just too low for me to get into them.
the quality looks fine to me. they even have the angular style of the show.
plus, they've made way more characters than kenner ever did. i just got the New Batman Adventures Scarecrow. it's amazing.

behold.
JLUGV4SCrowFront.jpg

I've got a handful of JLU figures, and the paint apps on them are really hit-and-miss. But certainly, they are 100X better than the crappy "Infinite Heroes" garbage that clog the pegs at the local TRU and Targets. I love the style.

the quality looks fine to me. they even have the angular style of the show.
plus, they've made way more characters than kenner ever did. i just got the New Batman Adventures Scarecrow. it's amazing.

I'm mostly talking about the common complaint of the figures not being able to stand. Your Scarecrow there looks like he's pulling a Michael Jackson from Moonwalker.

I'm not impressed with the character selection when most of them have painted on details. And I don't think that's a fair argument in the first place, since Kenner/Hasbro didn't hold the license when the JL toon debuted. But they definitely could have put more effort into releasing more guest stars from the Superman show.

But I read all the time in Toyfare back then that they'd have to pay to license every non-Superman related character that guest starred if they wanted to make them.

I'm mostly talking about the common complaint of the figures not being able to stand. Your Scarecrow there looks like he's pulling a Michael Jackson from Moonwalker.
i just found that pic on google. all of my figures are on peg stands, so i don't get the leg problems.
I'm not impressed with the character selection when most of them have painted on details. And I don't think that's a fair argument in the first place, since Kenner/Hasbro didn't hold the license when the JL toon debuted. But they definitely could have put more effort into releasing more guest stars from the Superman show.

But I read all the time in Toyfare back then that they'd have to pay to license every non-Superman related character that guest starred if they wanted to make them.
meh. fair, or not, Mattel has really gone the extra mile to cover as many characters as possible.
Kenner/Hasbro just didn't bother to make some characters they had licenses for because they thought neon-colored missile-firing Batman figures would sell better.

Does anyone know why we never got a JLU Kord Blue Beetle figure? Though I recall there being some license issue that kept him out of the JLU cartoons, Mattel obviously is able to release him as a toy, since we have the DCUC version.

Kenner/Hasbro just didn't bother to make some characters they had licenses for because they thought neon-colored missile-firing Batman figures would sell better.

Such as? Oh, and count your lucky stars that your figures stand and work with those, cause from what I've read you're definitely in the minority.

such as most of the New Batman Adventures rehashed characters. including that Scarecrow i posted.
also, no Bullock, or most of the major reoccurring non-hero characters. and none of the single-episode villains.
Mattel has made several characters who had less than 10 seconds of screen time. and plenty of single-episode heroes/villains. so far, i'm impressed.
Oh, and count your lucky stars that your figures stand and work with those, cause from what I've read you're definitely in the minority.
that is good advice. i will count them and report back. i bet i have at least 50.
Does anyone know why we never got a JLU Kord Blue Beetle figure? Though I recall there being some license issue that kept him out of the JLU cartoons, Mattel obviously is able to release him as a toy, since we have the DCUC version.
i kinda doubt anyone on here really knows about the back room politics that go on at WB when it comes to character licensing.
but, usually the reason a character isn't in the show is because WB has some other plans for it like a movie/tv series outside of the DCAU.
i do know they pulled out all of the Aquaman characters in the last season because he had a show in the works at the time. you'd have to ask Bruce Timm about that stuff.
and i'm guessing there was no Kord figure because he wasn't in the show.

Last edited:

such as most of the New Batman Adventures rehashed characters. including that Scarecrow i posted.
also, no Bullock, or most of the major reoccurring non-hero characters. and none of the single-episode villains.
Mattel has made several characters who had less than 10 seconds of screen time. and plenty of single-episode heroes/villains. so far, i'm impressed.

While I'll give you that they could have done a better job of releasing more of the redesigned characters from TNBA, It was probably a little more difficult since they actually did entire individual sculpts back then, and didn't just paint costumes and details on the same 3 bodies.

Hawkman with a painted harness? :lol I'll take quality over quantity anyday.

While I'll give you that they could have done a better job of releasing more of the redesigned characters from TNBA, It was probably a little more difficult since they actually did entire individual sculpts back then, and didn't just paint costumes and details on the same 3 bodies.
well, that's how a lot of characters are drawn in the show, so i don't see any problem there.
also, the series that scarecrow is from is all entirely new sculpts. i highly recommend getting them.
Hawkman with a painted harness? :lol I'll take quality over quantity anyday.
this is my response to that.

7009_01.jpg

and i'm guessing there was no Kord figure because he wasn't in the show.
There's a possibility that he might get made now that this line is a Target exclusive aimed at fans. Recently Mattel has been releasing quite a few characters who weren't on the show. They've released a Batman painted like his 70s comic appearances and have a Superman red/blue from some story from the 50s in the works, along with an Aquaman in his orange costume. Oh, and they're also releasing Crime Syndicate figures.

There's a possibility that he might get made now that this line is a Target exclusive aimed at fans. Recently Mattel has been releasing quite a few characters who weren't on the show. They've released a Batman painted like his 70s comic appearances and have a Superman red/blue from some story from the 50s in the works, along with an Aquaman in his orange costume. Oh, and they're also releasing Crime Syndicate figures.
damn. these things are getting hard to keep up with. are there pics up anywhere yet?

I've got all the figures from Batman the animated series and Batman the new adventures plus the Batmobiles and Batwings and a bunch of Justice League and JLU. I'm waiting for my Target to release JLU Old Bruce and Batman (Terry)

from the Batman/Superman/Justice League animated series by Kenner/Hasbro/Mattel.
anybody else here collect these? i just recently got back into them.
discuss.

Yep, my second favorite line of all time (the first being Kenner's 1990 The Dark Knight Collection) is the 1993 Batman: The Animated Series line. I have tons of em, from the initial red card backs up to the blue. All the figures (except Freeze and Ivy). Just haven't gotten to them yet, never wanted them as a kid either), duplicates, variations, vehicles, playsets, you name it I got and know it.

For the record, I have no interest in TNBA, STAS, or JLA shows or the Hasbro/Mattel figures (unless they are old school designs like Alfred, Ventriloquist, Clayface etc) but in terms of design, sculpt, and variety they are no slouch either. Only show I care about is the one that started it all, BTAS, and the only figure line I care about is from the company that started it all, Kenner.

Good stuff.

Yeah there's no need to pay that much for the Batman Beyond 3-pack. It's in the new wave of figures that's just starting to ship now. The singles hit the west coast last week and should be making their way across to the east coast this week or next, with the 3-packs not far behind.

Also, in reference to prefused's questions about pictures, there are pictures up. Here's the link. https://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery2/album/NYCC-Mattel/index.php?page=5
That link will take you to the 5th page of the gallery where a lot of the new singles are, but there's other new 3-packs on the first 2 pages of the gallery. FYI, the gallery is from Action Figure Insider. They're one of the go to sites for JLU news and discussion.

And my response to that, is this

3315628750_161daa1a6a.jpg

:cool:

Hope that was't a sarcastic nod. I'm a big fan of the last, callous dispassionate Mr. Freeze who just looked to rob people of what they loved.

I used to collect that Batman TAS figures, and have some of the JLU ones such as Darkseid, Brainiac, Batman, Superman, and the Justice Lord figures. I have the Batman TAS Joker here on my desk as we speak... not sure what that says about me.

Was that Scarecrow figure in the pic a general release or a custom?! If a production fig, I have to get my hands on one of those. :rock God how I wish they made a Bane figure from the new adventures. I loved the character design, even if he only appeared in two episodes in the new series.

Back