Looks like the GG boba statue has been finalized!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks as cool as it did at SDCC. Not sure if I will get it any time soon but we shall see.

Sad but true Fritz, I am sure there will be plenty *cough 10,000* to go around. :rolleyes:

Not digging Mr. Baggy Pants too much anyway.

His paint looks like its been toned down from the SDCC as well. Not so bright.
Much better!:banana

The paint job looks much better, but he does look like he might be earning some extra income as a proctologist:naughty

:D haha. Yeah, the pose is really ridiculous, could be telling someone to take a hike but had finger problems. Colors look spot on though and the overall sculpt is good. Will wait, not unusual enough. Their standing statues don't impress me.

kierbaudy said:
:D haha. Yeah, the pose is really ridiculous, could be telling someone to take a hike but had finger problems. Colors look spot on though and the overall sculpt is good. Will wait, not unusual enough. Their standing statues don't impress me.

I agree with you there. GG makes some great busts but their standing statues aren't that great. I bought a Chewbacca GG statue around 6 months ago. It just doesn't have the quality of a Sideshow piece. Sideshow has really spoiled me with their quality of work. I know my Chewie statue will be going on ebay as soon as Sideshow releases the Darth Vader Exclusive.

For me, I passed on the Gentle Giant busts, but went for the statues. These fell into a price point that is affordable for me. I can afford 1/6 figures, but not most of the 1/4 premium formats. These are a nice in-between. While the quality isn't the same as Sideshow, it is certainly nicer than most other licensed Star Wars stuff (remember the god-awful applause stuff!)

I hope a PF 1/4 Fett is announced before the GG statue comes out. As a consumer I would love to get a Fett next year at a reasonable price but I want the best bang for my buck.

Looks Great

I like it. I don't understand some of the knocks I've hear lately on the Gentle Giant full size figures. I"ve got the whole lineup so far and have been very pleased. At a board that grew largely based on Sideshow*Weta's 1/6 scale polystone figures, I would imagine there would be a lot of appreciation for fully sculpted (i.e. not mixed-media) StarWars resin figures in an identical scale, and IMO with a similar level of quality. I have no inside information, but similarity in packaging styles & the same little yellow quality inspection stickers have made me wonder if these figures weren't actually manufactured at exactly the same Chinese locations. :peace

I'm picking up the Sideshow 1/4 scale as well BTW, and will decide later how to display "repeated" characters. To date, only Darth Vader is such a case. I have considered getting into the Attakus a bit as well, although the pricetag is somewhat daunting. So -- I don't have ANY axe to grind for GG. I simply don't understand how people would view them as anything other than a high-end collectible. Scale and material format are issues of taste, and each differs among the various SW figure contenders. :cool:

spaceman said:
I like it. I don't understand some of the knocks I've hear lately on the Gentle Giant full size figures. I"ve got the whole lineup so far and have been very pleased. At a board that grew largely based on Sideshow*Weta's 1/6 scale polystone figures, I would imagine there would be a lot of appreciation for fully sculpted (i.e. not mixed-media) StarWars resin figures in an identical scale, and IMO with a similar level of quality. I have no inside information, but similarity in packaging styles & the same little yellow quality inspection stickers have made me wonder if these figures weren't actually manufactured at exactly the same Chinese locations. :peace

I'm picking up the Sideshow 1/4 scale as well BTW, and will decide later how to display "repeated" characters. To date, only Darth Vader is such a case. I have considered getting into the Attakus a bit as well, although the pricetag is somewhat daunting. So -- I don't have ANY axe to grind for GG. I simply don't understand how people would view them as anything other than a high-end collectible. Scale and material format are issues of taste, and each differs among the various SW figure contenders. :cool:

I totally agree spaceman, to me GG quality is outstanding especially for the price. People are comparing pices that are double the price or more to GG pieces which is not fair. Sideshow so far has produces only 1 starwars piece and that is the PF Luke, and it seems they can't give them away. IMO I would rather have a all resin piece than a mixed media, the thought of cloth on a statue doesn't really appeal to me.

My problem with this piece is definately not the quality, I own quite a few SW busts and really enjoy them. The big gripe is the pose, it just is .... :sick

I was really looking forward to the GG Boba statue, suprisingly I was disappointed in the pose. I guess I will wait and see what SS does with the PF Boba and the 12" Boba before I decide. The waiting will be awful....

:)

LOTRFan said:
My problem with this piece is definately not the quality, I own quite a few SW busts and really enjoy them. The big gripe is the pose, it just is .... :sick

Fair enough LOTRFan. :peace Personally I like the pose - kind of a "come and get it" taunt. Although the proctology "cracks" are plenty funny, and I have a vague memory of this symbol being the equivalent of the bird in certain cultures. :D

There's plenty of room on the boards for polite disagreement about how well certain pieces are pulled off, and even overall quality of a product line. I think I'm reacting on delay mode to some truly rude commentary I read a couple weeks back in a different thread that was highly antagonistic toward the Gentle Giant lineup. Not everything a given person decides not to collect has to be called crap or cheap or put down. I've had a good experience with this line and I would hate to see the idea that it is a second rate product become conventional wisdom.

spaceman said:
Not everything a given person decides not to collect has to be called crap or cheap or put down.

This has always been my complaint with some members that if they dont collect it then it's garbage.

I agree with spaceman, I started to collect GG because my main collection was the SSW LOTR pieces which are 1/6, so the SW manufacturer that looked like the most with what I collected was GG, and the quality of both companies are the same. I even think GG is a little ahead on their human scupltures.

spaceman said:
I think I'm reacting on delay mode to some truly rude commentary I read a couple weeks back in a different thread that was highly antagonistic toward the Gentle Giant lineup. Not everything a given person decides not to collect has to be called crap or cheap or put down.

Yes, it was awful and I still don't understand why a few people are so defensive of the line they collect and don't accept that a statue with a smaller scale can actually be better. Some guy got even to a point of theatening me, saying he knew where I lived... yeah right.. . I'm still waiting for you :naughty ... just unbelieveble how low some can go.

Back