How many prefer OT characters over PT characters?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
As much as I wanted them to, the prequels never captured my imagination like the original trilogy. I can easily replay events of characters of the OT in my head, but not of the PT. Infact, I can barely recall the first two prequels.

IMO, the original trilogy just had so much more life in it. The story, the special effects, the acting, the list goes on and on... Unfortunately, the majority of the prequels felt like one long CG cartoon. That is why, I am much more interested in collecting characters (Main and NON main) from the OT, but not so much from the Prequels. For instance, I could care less about Padme (even though she is a main character), but I would love to purchase a 1:6 fig of almost any character from the OT.

Anyone else feel similar?

Last edited:
I mainly prefer the OT characters, but there is some PT characters I want. Like Qui-Gon, Maul, ROTS Obi-Wan & Anakin, Padme, Mace, &..........Jar Jar. :D Kidding on that last one.

OT is classic, A New Hope and Empire the best of all 6. I did enjoy NT, but they got worse as they went on. I like Phantom Menace, Nesson was a great Jedi with presence on screen.

I want Qui-gon, Obi-wan, and Padme (perky naturally) :naughty

Say what you will about the prequels, I think ALL of the them are better than JEDI. The prequels seemed fresh to me... I guess after watching the OT ad nauseum over fifteen years, ANYTHING would seem fresh. Yet JEDI always felt to me like Lucas' batteries were running low during . I wonder what kind of film we would have gotten if Kurtz stayed to challenge Lucas! It seemed as though Lucas didn't really have anything meaningful to say with most of his characters. Truly, what did Han Solo do in the film that had ANY dramatic weight? And I argee with Joss Whedon on this, I would have NEVER separated Han with the Falcon! NEVER! The same could be said for Leia to a greater degree... the poor girl didn't have anything to do other than pet some Ewoks. And the idea of building yet ANOTHER Death Star seemed to be creatively bankrupt.

To this day, I only find about 30% of the film to be watchable... and that is due to the continued dramatic arc of Luke and Vader. Mark Hamill's performance is the only true aspect that holds the OT together IMHO. Oddly enough, I actually find that aspect of the film MORE enjoyable now that we have the prequels.

Besides, I still can't wash away the disappointment of seeing Ewoks one-up the Stormtroopers... it's an old wound that has NEVER healed.

In case you are wondering, here is how I rate them

Star Wars
Revenge of the Sith
Empire Strikes Back (the BAD use of humor and Threepio's comments in general lower this one)
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi

I know this is not a popular opinion but I think that now the saga is complete, JEDI really feels like a cop out and a rather dull cap to an otherwise stellar saga. Where is the sacrifuce? The dramatic weight? Revenge of the Sith has BOTH in spades!

For me the OT was a seminal influence in my life and the PT will never match that. I didn't find them as horrible as some did and actually really enjoyed AoC and RotS. But they will never hold a place in my heart like the original 2 films did (and to some extent, RotJ).

But, that said, there are some extremely cool characters in the PT and 3 of them were played my some of my favorite actors - Portman, MacGregor and Neeson. There are some great designs in the costumes and aliens too. So my love for the OT aside, I find that I'm equally looking forward to PT characters in both PF and 1/6.

I agree about your criticism of JEDI, especially with HAN being in the background and the Ewoks (ugh). But, I actually like JEDI more now because of the Luke/Vader Arc. I think it is more moving to me now, because we now know who Vader was. I also find the Luke/Leia Scene more moving in Ewok villiage when they speak about their parents. And the Emperor is great, much better than in ROTS! I am sorry, I think ROTS is the worst of the prequels. When Mace has Palpatine beaten, and Palpatine goes "No, No" he sounds like Gollum from LOTR, he even acts like him, watch his movements at that time, unbelievable. I was waiting for him to add... "my precious". And, frankly, this was Lucas flop, he needs someone to help him with writing and directing. Empire is my favorite because Lucas did not direct it. It is incredible how Anakin is so naive to fall for the lies of the Emperor, so easy he turned. What an idiot! Mace Windu rocked, he had Palpatine beaten, showing he was the strongest and most powerful Jedi. And Anakin killing the younglings, he deserved to burn. Poor Padme, also, I felt that Obi-wan loved Padme, but because of the code he did nothing. Notice how he stroked her cheek when she was near death, that is a sign of love. Rambling on.

From Best to Worst

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Phantom Menace
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Attack of the Clones
6) Revenge of the Sith

Oh, and we gotta have a Mace Windu 12" figure soon! Sammy is the coolest!

Last edited:
I agree with some of what you said about Jedi, but overall I still like it much more than any of the prequels. The third was an improvement over the last too, but still incredibley flawed(imo) The dialogue was cheesy, the continuity didnt match up too well and afew of the scenes where well not great. the main things I didnt like was the Padme losing will to live, didnt make sense after youve had 2 children, the whole upper/lower ground thing. Obi wan is hanging from a cliff in Ep 1 and jumps up and kills Maul, yet that all changes in the 3rd. The Vader NOOOO. BUT other than that mainly I thought it was a great flick. For me the original trilogy will always be my favourites. They had somethings the prequels lacked, I really tell but just this feeling I get when I watch them. They more special to me and effected me when I saw them. The characters and story was so superb and felt so...i cant put my finger on it. So definately the OT's for me.

Best to worst for me:
Empire strikes back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones and Phantom Menace.

Yes, imagine if all the star wars movies were on par with Empire Strikes Back. It's funny to think about how the movie with the least amount of Lucas' input turned out to be the best! (Ok, yes that's my opinion ;))

The reason I don't like:

Phantom Menace -- too much bad acting with Jake Lloyd / Boring Pod Race / DARTH MAUL IS KILLED!!?? Darth Maul should have been a villian throughout all three prequels! He was almost as good a villain as Vader......if he had more lines!!!

Attack of the Clones -- horrible dialog between Anakin and Padme. Love story had absolutely no chemistry and terrible acting. (I know Hayden can act, I've seen Shattered Glass...why not in this film??) Where was the chemistry that had existed between Han and Leia? And Padmae still loves Anakin after he tells her that he murdered innocent woman and children??

Revenge of the Sith -- Most of it was entertaining, BUT, BUT...I hated the voice change and noises made when Palpatine becomes the Emperor...err monster? His voice was much better done in ROTJ. The added effects on his vocal work was over the top.
And he killed Mace WAAYY too easily. Not a satisfying ending for such a great character/powerful Jedi (Mace Windu) / Anakin waking up and yelling "NOOOOO" after the Emperor tells him about Padmae, way too corny.

AND what I am the most disappointed about by ROTS...WHERE WAS VADER!!!!!!!!??????? I was hoping for much more screen time for Vader! I thought there should have at least been 15-30 mins of Anakin as Vader! I can't get enough of James Earl Jones' voice, let alone Vaders suit!:D

Just the opposite here. I vastly prefer PT characters to OT characters. Growing up watching the OT, I was always fascinated by Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the Emperor. Luke, Vader, Han, and Leia never really did much for me as characters. Not only did the PT give more on those that I'd grown up adoring, it made the galaxy a bigger, more complex place and introduced characters like Qui-Gon, Padmé, Mace, Dooku, and Bail. In ways, it even changed my view of the OT. Before Episode I, I'd never really felt a sadness at hearing Obi-Wan and Yoda speaking of being the last of the Jedi. The more I watched the PT and OT, the more I realized I simply enjoyed, cared for, and preferred the characters more in the PT.

Daveyjaro said:
From Best to Worst

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Phantom Menace
4) Return of Jedi
5) Attack of the Clones
6) Return of the Jedi

Er Dave.... u named ROTJ twice... missin ROTS. ;)

I like a mixture of both... there's figures I want from all six movies, though I'd say The Phantom Menace has the least, I just want Darth Maul and Qui Gon Jin from that one. I'd probably skip anyone else they made from that film(unless you count Mace Windu and Ki Adi Mundi).

I'd parse my wants more from film to film than trilogy to trilogy. For example, I only want Ep2 or Ep3 Obi Wan of the prequels, and ep 4. Don't care for the Padawan look from Ep1. Anakin I'd only want the Ep3 version, Luke only the duel costume and x-wing uniform.

I want figures from all six films, or is that one film as Lucas thinks of it? Certainly, there are characters that I want more than others but my most wanted aren't all contained within a specific trilogy. I like both trilogies. I, as Lucas, think of the films as one story, with some parts better told than others (my own opinion here). Like others, I have a fondness for the original trilogy, it was something I grew up with. It helped shape me as a child the way very few things did. I rarely, rarely saw my father, and my mother would leave for work almost after I had arrived home from school if not before so films and television were my surrogate parents as well as an escape. Somehow, despite all my horror film watching, I think I turned out all right. Much of my transformation actually occurred in my twenties when I rediscovered Bruce Lee, "The Incredible Hulk" and "Lone Ranger" TV shows and decided on what I wanted to be as a human being. However, I think I owe Star Wars credit, and Indiana Jones as well for which I am a big fan, for helping to mold me at an earlier age. These films brought much needed enjoyment in my life - so much so, I can't conceive of what my life would have been like without them - and for that I'm grateful. Still, they didn't affect me the way they had with many other fans. At least not until having seen "Star Wars" in a theater again in 1997. I won't go into detail, but viewing the film again at that moment helped me greatly get over a difficult time. But without the other two films, I don't know if the impact still would have been there. With the new prequel trilogy, I don't think I've ever felt it was necessary to make and actually don't recall giving it much thought until it was announced that the new trilogy would go into production. After having seen the new films I'm glad that Lucas finally went ahead. I'm not an original trilogy fan per se, I'm a Star Wars fan. I want a Han Solo and I want a Darth Maul. I want a Slave Leia and I want Natalie Portman. I want a Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Yoda. I want a Qui Gon Jinn, Christensen as Anakin, and Jar Jar (and I ain't joking on Jar Jar). I can't really decide which I want more than the others. I do know that I don't want two of the same character before another major character is finally released (for example, along with Jedi Luke, a Bespin Luke is released before Chewbacca).

Since other are doing it, here's how I rate the Star Wars films, from most liked to least:

Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
New Hope
Return of the Jedi/Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Promising Galahad said:
I want figures from all six films, or is that one film as Lucas thinks of it? Certainly, there are characters that I want more than others but my most wanted aren't all contained within a specific trilogy. I like both trilogies. I, as Lucas, think of the films as one story, with some parts better told than others (my own opinion here). Like others, I have a fondness for the original trilogy, it was something I grew up with. It helped shape me as a child the way very few things did. I rarely, rarely saw my father, and my mother would leave for work almost after I had arrived home from school if not before so films and television were my surrogate parents as well as an escape. Somehow, despite all my horror film watching, I think I turned out all right. Much of my transformation actually occurred in my twenties when I rediscovered Bruce Lee, "The Incredible Hulk" and "Lone Ranger" TV shows and decided on what I wanted to be as a human being. However, I think I owe Star Wars credit, and Indiana Jones as well for which I am a big fan, for helping to mold me at an earlier age. These films brought much needed enjoyment in my life - so much so, I can't conceive of what my life would have been like without them - and for that I'm grateful. Still, they didn't affect me the way they had with many other fans. At least not until having seen "Star Wars" in a theater again in 1997. I won't go into detail, but viewing the film again at that moment helped me greatly get over a difficult time. But without the other two films, I don't know if the impact still would have been there. With the new prequel trilogy, I don't think I've ever felt it was necessary to make and actually don't recall giving it much thought until it was announced that the new trilogy would go into production. After having seen the new films I'm glad that Lucas finally went ahead. I'm not an original trilogy fan per se, I'm a Star Wars fan. I want a Han Solo and I want a Darth Maul. I want a Slave Leia and I want Natalie Portman. I want a Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Yoda. I want a Qui Gon Jinn, Christensen as Anakin, and Jar Jar (and I ain't joking on Jar Jar). I can't really decide which I want more than the others. I do know that I don't want two of the same character before another major character is finally released (for example, along with Jedi Luke, a Bespin Luke is released before Chewbacca).

Since other are doing it, here's how I rate the Star Wars films, from most liked to least:

Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
New Hope
Return of the Jedi/Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Very nicely said, You pretty much sum up my feelings overall on the SW films. Although that Jar Jar figure joke was pushing it, um you were joking right? right?!:wacky

For me the Original Trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart.

I also generally prefer the OT over the PT. I grew up watching and loving the original trilogy; my dad was a fan of Star Wars and he got me into it, and it was something I could share with him, which was nice. I still find the original trilogy much more watchable than the prequels. I love watching Luke's journey from whiny kid to (mostly) kick-ass Jedi. And I really like the romance between Han and Leia, whereas the romance between Anakin and Padme makes me cringe. The prequels – well, in general, Anakin left me cold. I had almost zero sympathy for him in ROTS, because he just struck me as being so utterly arrogant and selfish. I liked Padme in the first two prequels – still preferred Leia, but Padme came across as a strong woman, which I enjoyed. In ROTS, though, she annoyed the hell out of me.

That said, though, I do still enjoy the prequels very much, mainly because of the Jedi. Love those Old Republic Jedi. Qui-Gon Jinn was a great character, and the scenes with him and Obi-Wan totally make TPM for me. Obi-Wan is good all the way through the prequels – although since he's been my favourite character ever since ANH, I admit I'm a little biased on that. :) But all the Jedi (save Anakin) are really the high point of the prequels for me.

So basically, I'd be happy with figures from both OT and PT. And while I may prefer watching the original trilogy films, it's the PT Jedi figures I'll really be wanting to buy.

And here's my best-to-worst list, just to jump on the bandwagon:

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi (I pretend the Ewoks aren't there)
4) The Phantom Menace (I pretend Jar Jar isn't there too)
5) Revenge of the Sith (I'd LIKE to pretend Anakin and Padme aren't there)
6) Attack of the Clones

Darklord Dave said:
For me the OT was a seminal influence in my life and the PT will never match that. I didn't find them as horrible as some did and actually really enjoyed AoC and RotS. But they will never hold a place in my heart like the original 2 films did (and to some extent, RotJ).

But, that said, there are some extremely cool characters in the PT and 3 of them were played my some of my favorite actors - Portman, MacGregor and Neeson. There are some great designs in the costumes and aliens too. So my love for the OT aside, I find that I'm equally looking forward to PT characters in both PF and 1/6.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Dave. :D

I think some people need to flip the trilogys. Imagine that you actually grew up watching the PT, I'm sure you would be defending it and saying they were better than the OT if it was the one released today.

That said, I like characters from Star Wars, all 6 films, not one section.

OT here for sure. All three movies are classics and the new Star Wars movies were just bad and lacking the "magic" of the OT.

I really only enjoyed Maul and Qui-Gon from the prequels. I thought Ep2 was a horrible movie and ROTS was not much better. Oh well, bring on more OT 1/4 characters! ;)

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) Return of the Jedi

now these are WAY below the originals:
4) The Phantom Menace
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) Attack of the Clones

Daveyjaro said:
I agree about your criticism of JEDI, especially with HAN being in the background and the Ewoks (ugh). But, I actually like JEDI more now because of the Luke/Vader Arc. I think it is more moving to me now, because we now know who Vader was. I also find the Luke/Leia Scene more moving in Ewok villiage when they speak about their parents. And the Emperor is great, much better than in ROTS! I am sorry, I think ROTS is the worst of the prequels. When Mace has Palpatine beaten, and Palpatine goes "No, No" he sounds like Gollum from LOTR, he even acts like him, watch his movements at that time, unbelievable. I was waiting for him to add... "my precious". And, frankly, this was Lucas flop, he needs someone to help him with writing and directing. Empire is my favorite because Lucas did not direct it. It is incredible how Anakin is so naive to fall for the lies of the Emperor, so easy he turned. What an idiot! Mace Windu rocked, he had Palpatine beaten, showing he was the strongest and most powerful Jedi. And Anakin killing the younglings, he deserved to burn. Poor Padme, also, I felt that Obi-wan loved Padme, but because of the code he did nothing. Notice how he stroked her cheek when she was near death, that is a sign of love. Rambling on.

From Best to Worst

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) Star Wars
3) Phantom Menace
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Attack of the Clones
6) Revenge of the Sith

Oh, and we gotta have a Mace Windu 12" figure soon! Sammy is the coolest!

Just a couple questions to the Star wars fanatics...I didnt understand very well: In ROTS, did Mace Windu really had Palpatine beaten or Palpatine was just faking to see if Anakin would turn to his side ???? Also, did the force lightning of Palpatine turned back on him by Mace Windu disfigured him or was it his original true form ??? And finally, if Mace had the upper hand so easily on Palpatine, how comes Yoda gets the **** kick out of him at the end by Palpatine ???? Mace is stronger than Yoda???
So much unexplained things that I think could have been handled better.
The biggest problem with the new movies was : LUCAS

My ranking

1.Empire Strikes back
2.Revenge of the Sith ( I liked it alot, I think because having read the book added so much more esp to the dual with Palpatine. Plus you see more how the Jedi actually helped push Anakin to the dark side esp Mace.)
3.ANH
4.Return of the Jedi (only because of the Luke/Vader stuff the rest was pretty weak)
5.AOTC(only because of the clone's at the end)
6.TPM(only because of Jar Jar I just cant stand him)

Shaihulud said:
Just a couple questions to the Star wars fanatics...I didnt understand very well: In ROTS, did Mace Windu really had Palpatine beaten or Palpatine was just faking to see if Anakin would turn to his side ???? Also, did the force lightning of Palpatine turned back on him by Mace Windu disfigured him or was it his original true form ??? And finally, if Mace had the upper hand so easily on Palpatine, how comes Yoda gets the **** kick out of him at the end by Palpatine ???? Mace is stronger than Yoda???
So much unexplained things that I think could have been handled better.
The biggest problem with the new movies was : LUCAS

Mace had Sidious defeated.

Back