Luke Skywalker 12" up for preorder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Promising Galahad

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Luke in Jedi garb has been a hot topic on the OSW (One Sixth Warriors forums), which is apparently where all SC members are discussing him too, but I think it more appropriate to discuss him here since this was the license (12" Star Wars) many of us were waiting and hoping for.

The exclusive is already sold out. I missed out, having been at work, but I can't say I mind considering my indifference for the exclusive accessory (skiff guard gun). Had it been the femur bone, I might have been saddened. It seems Sideshow is learning just what should and shouldn't be an exclusive.

The figure itself looks darn good right now (it has me asking, Medicom who?). Mat appears to have done a fine job on Hamill's likeness. It's an understatement, but I'll leave it at that until I see the final product. I don't care for the open mouth expression, however.

Extra hands!!! This deserves three exclamation marks. I was actually thinking this would not happen. I'm glad to be proven wrong. They even included an ungloved blaster damaged hand! I never even thought about that. I hope extra hands will become more common in future releases.

The clothes look better than expected after seeing the original teaser close-up image. I hope Sideshow actually figured a better way to allow the shirt flap to close than with annoying velcro (ala Medicom).

The figure appears to be the short version of the standard body. Luke is thin, but the figure itself is still too thin. I think a T-shirt and shorts will remedy this, however, which I have plenty of. The shoulders don't look too bad either. I was afraid they would appear too broad.

This first entry in the Star Wars 12" line already appears to be what I've been waiting for since I began collecting 12", or more accurately, 1/6 scale figures.

Now you know what a great companion piece would be? Jabba the Hutt, of course! (Hint to Sideshow)

Last edited:
I like what I see for the most part but I will do a little whining since it is the internet.....

1) Note the price, they have fulfilled my prediction and now nudged the $50 price point, after baiting a few $45 figures lulling us into blind acceptance. So, I will not buy from them direct if at all possible.

2) That being said, nice let down on giving the news letter members a chance to get the exclusive. I saw it announced on every freaking toy news site before I ever got the flash message. Not that it matters since I don't need that extra blaster but for principal only I bemoan this. And if this isn't a good tell on how they may be underestimating the sales of these things I don't know what is. 1250 sold out that fast! Whoah!

Anyways, nice figure but a bit pricey IMHO. I will still get one but through alternative means. And I do look forward to all this SW 12" stuff. It is a key hole that is being filled in my collecting.

Actually, I'm glad I saw it on the boards first as I didn't get my email until after it had sold out. I think SS did a great job though ensuring more collectors and less scalpers by using the 1 piece limit. I know that can be circumnavigated but still a great effort on their part.

I am real excited about seeing this one in hand. From the pics the likeness looks great. I have to admit I had expected Andy to get dibs on this one, but Mat has done an amazing job. I'll likely try to pick up a couple regular versions via a dealer for cheaper so I can actually have the varying displays using the hands. The variety on this one has just blown me away. I am curious though what future ES will look like after the quick sellout of the exclusive.

I too am upset that the preorder wasn't first made available to newsletter subscriber's through a link within the newsletter itself. I still have yet to receive my newsletter, but what is the purpose of subscribing to begin with when anyone and everyone, not solely subscribers, are able to make an immediate preorder? But again, I really don't care for the exclusive accessory for Luke and am not that bothered that I missed out (I am on the waiting list, however). As I said previously, had the femur been the exclusive I might have had a bone to pick with Sideshow. (Yes, pun intended.) Others, apparently feel the opposite as I, wanting a stockpile of Skiff Guard blasters. They bring up a good argument: if this is an exclusive accessory, and exclusives are accessories not to be produced for other figures, than we may not (or won't) see the Skiff Guard blaster accompanying another figure (like a Skiff Guard). That would actually upset me. There are also those who are as unimpressed as I am toward the exclusive accessory and wonder why the bone wasn't the exclusive. I actually think Sideshow got it right. They've had previous accessories that seemed too important to exclude from the regular release, or offered so little that the exclusive should not have been an exclusive only accessory. The blaster might be enough to please a few, but but not as recognizably associated with Luke as the femur bone is to displease the many who may have missed out on that had it been an exclusive. I think this was a good, but tough call. The open mouth expression, however, I still have a problem with. I hope I'll grow attached to it in time. Otherwise, the head sculpt looks great.

The more I think about it the closer I am to changing my mind on the real purpose of the exlclusives. Originally I was thinking along the lines that SS is just out to force us collectors to buy direct. In the case of Luke the exclusive seems pretty meaningless to me. That blaster just isn't something I want or need. So, I am starting to think that SS is using the exlcusives for the sole purpose of testing the market for a particular figure. This is going to let them know how much demand there is for that figure so they can determine a more accurate production run for the regular figure.

It's probably a combination of the 2 theories but it helps me deal with it in my own mind better. I bet the regular run is like 15k on this figure.

Promising Galahad said:
I too am upset that the preorder wasn't first made available to newsletter subscriber's through a link within the newsletter itself. I still have yet to receive my newsletter, but what is the purpose of subscribing to begin with when anyone and everyone, not solely subscribers, are able to make an immediate preorder?
Sideshow subscriber's got a news flash e-mail. For one hour only way to order was through the news flash link.:joy

In the case of Luke the exclusive seems pretty meaningless to me. That blaster just isn't something I want or need.

That could be why the blaster was choosen, something that was exclusive but not to exclusive.

Not that it matters since I don't need that extra blaster but for principal only I bemoan this. And if this isn't a good tell on how they may be underestimating the sales of these things I don't know what is. 1250 sold out that fast! Whoah!

I think it is a pretty good number for an exclusive figure.

wookilar8 said:
Sideshow subscriber's got a news flash e-mail. For one hour only way to order was through the news flash link.:joy

Thanks for the correction. It seems I have an e-mail gremlin as I didn't receive the news flash e-mail, either. One hour isn't much time still, especially when one is at work, not knowing when the preorder will become available.

It seems my work email blocked the flash announcement from getting to me, so I just now saw it. Thankfully I was watching the boards when people started to buy.

I think the $50 price tag is fair considering everything he comes with, especially if you were lucky enough to get the exclusive with the blaster. I don't have that same feeling of being ripped off like I did when I ordered the Kurgan.

I'm not saying we are being ripped off just noting the subtle way they are desensitizing us to the price hikes by trickling a few exclusives out at $5 more a pop. Then the regular version goes up, then the exclusives go up $5 and the regulars follow suite. Their prices have nearly doubled over the past 3-4 years. That's pretty significant to me and makes me wonder when the ceiling will be reached. I guess if people are buying it wont. But, just noting it! I guess I am just proclaiming myself as NOT being blind to it for some reason. It wont stop them from doing it nor me from buying most likely. LOL!

They said the SW figures will be deluxe items between $50-100. I'd rather pay more and them not skimp on accessories or detailing. So Vader will probably closer to the high end of the scale.

I just ordered my Luke online and can hardly wait for MR bugeye floppyjoints to arrive!! Is this a great day or what!?

Sideshow Luke

Yeah I didn't get my Sideshow news bulletin in time either I just happened to be home and kept checking the preview page that said it would forward to the preorder page when it was up. I got the exclusive, but was hoping for something more than a blaster, but am glad that it's not a big deal, hopefully Sideshow is slowly learning that the figure itself is the point of sale not the exclusive and do away with them.
That being said the Luke figure rocks. I'm a huge follower of the Buffy line and really wasn't gonna buy any of the Star Wars line figuring they'd concentrate on the newer trilogy more to start out with. Being fresh in everybody's heads and all. Not a huge fan (or a fan at all really) of the new trilogy but a huge fan of the classic trilogy. That sculpt of Hamill looks superb, heres hoping it stays that way through production. Now I may have to get a set of the main heroes and villians of the classic Star Wars flicks. I guess I'll have to put off buying a house for another year....thanks alot Sideshow.
..........oh by the way.............where's GILES!!!!!!!

?

[can hardly wait for MR bugeye floppyjoints to arrive!! Is this a great day or what!?]

Hardcase doesn't your mailman get offended at the name calling?

Promising Galahad said:
Thanks for the correction. It seems I have an e-mail gremlin as I didn't receive the news flash e-mail, either. One hour isn't much time still.

Yes, I wasn't home either, but did not get this special email, and agree an hour is not much time. I did get the regular though, only because I'm not sure that secondary prices will be all that much lower. Lower shipping directly from Sideshow would be nice.
I know a single boxed figure in a Sideshow carton is $6.85, and thats high enough.
I do look forward to seeing this in person. My son asked when looking at the photo "Why does he have a pimple?" and I realized...this sculpt just might be nailed perfectly.

Im not interested in this, although I do think its a cool fig.

But I do think SS should rethink that Flash EMaill thing. Didnt receive mine til 1am this morning. I wouldve been highly pissed had I been interested in this and wasnt aware of the boards. Hopefully theyre reading all the issues with this. They should scratch Email Blast off their list to reveal Exclusives in the future

Back