EU winner announced!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Every silver lining has a cloud I guess. With the reveal of the brilliant Jedi Luke comes the news that our worst fears have been realized.

So guess who won the EU contest...

....the non-EU character, that's who!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Yeah, it's as bad a choice as that stupid line uttered by Vader in Return Of The Sith.

I'll say this- I understand why a lot of people don't like this choice.

But understand this doesn't mean we won't make other characters from the list.

Padme just happens to be the first of what MAY be a few more EU figures.

Viking28 said:
O well I still get her.

ditto.

Maybe the accessory will be a big snow globe that you can put her in and shake her up. I could get excited about that. :cool:

Why why why is this one in demand? I just can't see the appeal for this over Mara Jade for a female offering. Does it have to do with the GG Padme Maquette? Do people want to fill a hole in their GG collection with the Sideshow 12" version?

If people really want it, fine. I just fear that once people see it, especially if it is not an animated version, that they will not buy it. And if it's not a big seller, I fear we may not get some real EU characters down the road.

Gary

shaithis77 said:
...this doesn't mean we won't make other characters from the list.

This is great news!

shaithis77 said:
Padme just happens to be the first of what MAY be a few more EU figures.

But this lead me to believe that future EU figures may depend on how well Padme does.

Sorry if I misunderstood :wave

Gary

I voted for Padme too. I doubt Sideshow will let the opportunity to make Mara Jade go by. Especially now that we are getting her Boy-Toy.
I'm looking forward to a GOOD Portman sculpt.
It's going to be interesting to see how they do Mara Jade, though. Seeing as there is no standard for her features except for the models Lucasfilm occasionally hires.

This is just a personal opinion, mostly offered in response to the "what's the appeal?" questions.

First, I think the Maquette has a lot to do with it. As we speak, there are some Mara Jade action figures on E-Bay going for around $5. The Padme Maquette with a bid is currently at $239. Right now, there is more supply than demand for a Mara Jade 3D sculpture and there is more demand than supply for snow bunny Padme 3D sculpture. People who *love* Mara have something. People who *love* snow bunny Padme probably don't, and it's probably killing them. I think if Hasbro would have done a regular snow bunny action figure, she would have done much worse in the polls.

Next, I think of all the EU, the Clone Wars cartoons got the most exposure. Even TV shows that do poorly in ratings are seen by millions, whereas not every fan has picked up a novel with Mara.

One arguement I personally don't buy is the "she won because she was in a movie" idea. There were 9294 votes, and she got 54 more than Mara. I find it hard to swallow that Mara fans wouldn't be able to accept that among hardcore star wars collectors, a handful more might find the snow bunny design more attractive than the mara design. I also think that with only 10,000 votes overall, the poll did not attract casual fans. It wasn't like walking around the office asking people to pick a Star Wars character from a list-- the people who voted in the poll had to WANT to vote, and they had to FIND the website. If this were a poll where millions voted and Padme clobbered all the EU and grabbed over half the votes, THEN I'd buy the "it's because she was in a movie" arguement.

I voted for Thrawn. He got his butt kicked. Still, I would have picked Padme over Vos, Mara, and Asajj strictly because I like the outfit. My vote had nothing to do with movie recognition and everything to do with what design I found most appealing.

One thing I do believe is that there may be a backlash. I think Padme voters probably want to see an animated style figure, and I don't think they'll get it. If she comes out with a movie likeness and there is a backlash, I think that alone could invalidate the argument that she won because she was a movie character.

Finally, I want to throw something else out that may or may not have to do with the win. I find Mara UGLY. I find snow bunny cute. Maybe others feel the same.

At any rate, I certainly don't want to argue about it. The voting is over and the winner has won, and it wasn't Thrawn, and I'm not going to whine about it. I only hope this might help shed some light on why she may have won for those of you who just don't get it. Heck, I was surprised she did as poorly as she did during week one, but I'll tell you one thing I know for a fact: I have a friend who is really upset over missing the maquette, and he proably wouldn't have voted in the poll, but once he learned about Snow Bunny being in it, he got his act together and voted. In the end, maybe that's what happened-- word got out among the crowd that felt burned over the maquette.

I'd sooner buy Bea Arthur from the Holiday Special, before I 'd buy a Snow Bunny Padme!:horror

Oh who am I kinding, I'll probably love it when I see it.:anya2

Well, I voted for Kir....I cannot believe this....
There is a question as to what Padme and eve Mara would end of looking like, but come on...Kir Kanos? The most bad ass Royal Guard there was? That seemed like a win-win situation to me! No face mold to worry about! (Look at Luke!) :horror

Ugh....Oh well....There is always hope.

Hjalmar said:
I think if Hasbro would have done a regular snow bunny action figure, she would have done much worse in the polls.

They are, actually. Going to be an exclusive next year, according to Rebelscum.com.

I voted for Padme myself, and I love this costume variation. I'm also confident that Mara Jade and Kir Kanos will be made at least, they weren't too far behind Padme in the poll. I'd get them in a heartbeat too.

I voted for Quinlan on the second to last day simply out of principle alone. However, I've always been fond of Padmé's character, and her and Yoda's episodes of Clone Wars together were among my favorites, so I'm actually not nearly as disappointed as I thought I'd be. While it would have been nice to see a "true" EU character win, I've never liked Thrawn or Mara, and while an interesting design, Kanos' character just doesn't appeal to me much. Amidala was my second pick, my runner up so to speak, so I'm satisfied.

I wonder if it will say "Snow Bunny" on the box...:D

"Snow Hunny!" ;)

I voted for MJ, but I'm not at all disappointed that Padme won. There is no doubt in my mind that we'll see the others made eventually as well.

Back