Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radagaster

Trolling the Woods
Reaction score
Ran into this snippet from TheDigitalBits:

Here's some news that you Lord of the Rings fans have been waiting for. Word from a couple of readers is that select FYE stores had signs up last week revealing that Warner Home Video will be releasing New Line's Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray Disc in December. Some stores may even have begun taking preorders. This includes all three films. The titles are not yet listed on the company's website, but our industry sources have informed us that the studio's current plans do indeed call for all three films, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, to be released on Blu-ray in early December on Blu-ray in their original theatrical versions. There will likely be little in the way of extras, as both the extended versions and the special edition material are being held by director Peter Jackson for use in a future "ultimate edition" BD box set, planned for release when the two Hobbit films arrive in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray starting in 2012. As you know, Warner alluded to the Rings films arriving on Blu-ray in 2009 late last year, in promotional inserts included with some of their recent BD titles. Let's hope they aren't overly DNR-ed. (That's a little message for you guys doing the digital mastering for Warner/New Line HD titles, in case you did realize it. On behalf of Blu-ray fans everywhere, PLEASE get the message and dial back the Digital Noise Reduction knob!) Thanks to Bits reader Dan R. and others for the heads-up.

What say you?

That's bull^^^^- they should just release the extended versions with all the extras and stop pinching us for every penny we have. Grrr

^^^^ New Line for making us wait for the extended versions(the only real versions IMO). They are as bad as LFL.

Well, if they're only releasing theatrical versions then I'll just stick to my dvds for now. The extended versions are the only way these films should be viewed imho.

Well, if they aren't doing the full extended versions until The Hobbit, then there's no excuse for the theatrical Blu-Ray editions to be released this slowly.
yeah there is...because they know people are gonna have the itch to run out and buy them. then rinse, and repeat once the extended cuts are out.

I really can't wait to see these on Blu-Ray, But I will wait for the extended versions. Extended is the only way to go imo.

I have no problem waiting those ^^^^^^^s out.
The upscaled Ext DVDs will tied me over just fine ...

If theyre going to pull this ^^^^, im just going to wait for the "ultimate ultimate of ultimate" version is 2020.

I will be happy to own the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray for three years, then I'll pick up the boxed set when the time comes.

ehh, nope not me, i can wait them sons of a ^^^^^es out. i'm with nash on this one.
wait till the send out the ultimate creamy edition with a mystery lock of hair for one of the cast members. mystery of course since you wouldn't know whos hair you'll be getting till you open it up. just watch the wacks at bestbuy ripping open the giftbox sets just to find their favorite characters lock of hair.

I will be happy to own the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray for three years, then I'll pick up the boxed set when the time comes.

Yep. $20 a pop to have the theatricals for three years won't be any skin off my back until the EE's arrive. Then at least I won't have to watch the cropped versions shown on TNT HD with those obnoxious animated pop-ups for The Closer and NASCAR in the middle of key dramatic sequences to get my LOTR HD fix.

Typical. I will NOT buy these on BR twice. I don't even remember what the SE's are like. I have only watched the Extended versions since I saw the SE's at the movies. I will wait for the EE. I am sick of buying movies twice. Won't happen again.

Typical. I will NOT buy these on BR twice. I don't even remember what the SE's are like. I have only watched the Extended versions since I saw the SE's at the movies. I will wait for the EE. I am sick of buying movies twice. Won't happen again.
exactly...i got suckered with the DVDs and the extended cuts. i will NOT fall for this again. i've learned this lesson with the star wars releases...NEVER buy the first release....you know they are just gonna milk it with re-releases a year or so later.

The upconverted DVDs do look pretty good, so I will be a tough sell esp with paltry extras. :sick

I would have bought them, but I guess there is no point if they're going to release an ultimate box set. I'll just wait for that.

The upconverted DVDs do look pretty good, so I will be a tough sell esp with paltry extras. :sick

I just found out about upscaling the other day when I played the Star Wars OT DVDs on my PS3. It looks just like HD. I was so happy. :D

Back