Just saw an awesome idea in the comments section on Sideshow's site...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintsyn

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't know if it has been discussed here already, but in the comments section on Sideshow's website, someone had the idea of offering up the Cobra Trooper as a uniform set for those that want to army build yet can't afford multiple figures. What an awesome and totally obvious idea! This would be a great way to introduce officers into the series as well... little variations that could keep them offering the set over and over with little changes to make each one worth getting. If they ran about $30 I think that would be doable... what do you guys think?

They would sell a ton and would make a collection more variable instead of just evil white dudes lol.

I'd be down for that because I'd love to use the Cobra Troop helmet to custom up a battle helmet for Cobra Commander!

It's a great idea!

But I don't think it could cost $30

I was just basing that number off of the fact that usual uniform sets can run $20 just for BDU's. Add knee pads and helmets and balaclavas and it seemed that $30 would be more likely...

I was just basing that number off of the fact that usual uniform sets can run $20 just for BDU's. Add knee pads and helmets and balaclavas and it seemed that $30 would be more likely...

Several companies (like veryhot, saturday toys, ACE) sell full uniform sets with weapons, helmets, boots and all that for around $60 - $70.

Saturday Toys released a SWAT uniform set without boots, weapons, kneepads or helmet for around $40, just the BDU, a cap, a vest, a harness and belt.

Maybe we could get the BDU and some basic gear for $30. :banana

I'd like it if they did that. They'd really make a killing! Not everyone can chuck away $95 but would gladly shell out of uniform sets. They'd probably be closer to the $50 range though. I'm hoping they release some kind of accessory set down the line. Storm Shadow gets an extra head when clearly CC and Snakes could've benefitted from one even more.

Yeah its funny they gave us a unmasked SS head as a bonus but DIDN'T give us an extra goggled SE head or silver mask for CC. :confused:

Or simply made the visor removable and included a pair of goggles for Snakes.

I'd love a simple uniform set for both Cobra Troops and Joe Green Shirts!
For the Cobra Trooper all we need is: BDU shirt and pants, pair of boots, helmet, mask, Y harness, and Cobra M3A1 Grease Gun (although I wouldn't mind a different more modern weapon).
And for the Green Shirt, we need: BDU shirt and pants, boots, helmet, an H harness and that Laser Rifle all the Joes carried in the cartoon.
It'd be a money maker if they can deliver these for $30.

Given that they've freely pimped the Cobra Trooper as an army builder, just releasing uniforms would cut into sales of the trooper. Good idea, but a shame we'd probably never see it. :(

they may do it later on after the regular trooper has sold out

I wouldn't say "after," maybe a big...

"IF"

:lol I think they may be mass producing this guy in hopes that everyone just has a buttload of cash to drop on a bunch of $100 army builders. Now an accessory pack of 4 alternate headsculpts would rock! And make it harder not to pick up 4 more to fit.

So SSC is charging $60 just for the figure and a box?

LOL. I don't think so.

The prices of Monkey Depot and Toy Anxiety show that the clothing and accessories typically sell for more than the nude figure w/head does.

I think it would prove likewise if SSC ever offered uni kits for Joe.

$90-$100 for fully dressed figure.
$60-$70 for just outfit and accessories seems more likely.

$30 is

LOL. I don't think so.

The prices of Monkey Depot and Toy Anxiety show that the clothing and accessories typically sell for more than the nude figure w/head does.

I think it would prove likewise if SSC ever offered uni kits for Joe.

$90-$100 for fully dressed figure.
$60-$70 for just outfit and accessories seems more likely.

$30 is ridiculous! And nothing short of a miser's pipe dream.

Fixed your post. :D This idea is reinforced by the MANY online retailers who take Hot Toys, Dragon, DiD, Sideshow, etc., figures, break them up and sell off the bits for double and sometimes triple the costs of the individual figures. Some of the guns go for $20 alone while the complete TrueTypes only just typically fetch $15-$30. :lol So yeah, I would not be surprised if a package like that ran as high as $80.

As a matter of fact, the Play House PMC kits are going for $70 (and there's no licensing fees to hike up the price there).

Back