Dressing the Galaxy -- the book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnamiraTook

Freaked Out
Reaction score
My copy arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW. This is a real "art book" with terrific photos and all the extras promised in the pre order description.

I am absolutely delighted with it -- even at the very high price. (Autographed copy #245.)

Re: Dressing the Galaxy -- the shipper

Hi Donnamira, glad you like your sumptuous book! Got mine yesterday and was just wondering how your copy was shipped to you?

Mine arrived in a huge white shipper with a picture of the book on the front. Very nice, but I'm really thinking the shipper should have been packed in an outer box to protect it as mine arrived in absolutely filthy condition with a huge rip up the side (not to mention the big honking address label splashed across the front). Granted, it is just the outer shipper, but at $300 I want the book and ALL its ancillary parts to be mint! How tough would it have been to stick the thing in a box?

Just would like your two cents before I give SIDESHOW a call.

Thank you!

Mine arrived the same way -- dirty box, crumpled corner, a couple of gouges and large shipping label. I thought about saving it to protect the book, but ended up throwing it away as it was not very attractive at that point. I was a bit surprised as everything else is boxed carefully and this didn't even rate a shipping box.

If you contact Sideshow - let me know the results.

Which swatches did you receive? The number is fairly low and i'm curous if any body happened to get any swatches from episodes I or II?

jegoing said:
Which swatches did you receive? The number is fairly low and i'm curous if any body happened to get any swatches from episodes I or II?

What do you mean by, "Which swatches did you receive"???? For the price we are paying, i expect to receive a piece of every available swatch there is!! I don't remember reading anything about receiving only a few swatches at a random order.

Swatches are all from III and mostly very small. I think all the books are identical as the swatches are affixed to a photo of the fabric along with a photo of the costume it was used for.

There's even a small sample of beads used in one of the costumes.

I haven't had time to watch the DVD yet.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
What do you mean by, "Which swatches did you receive"???? For the price we are paying, i expect to receive a piece of every available swatch there is!! I don't remember reading anything about receiving only a few swatches at a random order.

Lucasfilm couldn't give everyone all the swatches, so they selected them at random. I think it's 7-8 swatches each person receives.

I think i recall reading it at Topic: Trisha Biggar Book

https://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/18682434/p24/?351

Alice Adrenochrome said:
I did some research on the "swatches-issue" yesterday, and on this site:

https://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/f20051007/

I read that because the amount of original fabric was limited, each book contains a different, more or less unique assortment of fabrics, so... let's wait and see.

I highly recommend this book for the history it will hold in years to come. I would have liked to have more bolts but i'm more than satisfied to have EPISODE III bolts and the signature of Trisha Biggar. Just as a note my number is 241.

It would be interesting to know what swatches we received. I would post mine, but I'm packing for a trip to New Zealand tomorrow morning and everything is on hold for a while.

Glad to share

I'd be more than glad to share info on the swatches, but still didn't receive my copy. Still no notification mail either. It is shipping to EU customers 4th quarter 2005, so I guess I have to wait a little longer. I don't mind, as long as they (SS) don't do what they did on my "Crystal Lake Memories" book order: Sorry, we only deliver this item from the US warehouse, higher shipping rates will apply bla, bla... really makes me mad!!! I'm almost certain that the taxes will be higher also, and, I'm really tired of paying more for shipping and taxes then for the actual item. I have to let that one go. Oh well, at least it will make an other collector happy (are YOU on the waiting list for this item?), since it was the dual signature edition with the 25th anniversary Jason mask keychain...

I fancied the mega signature edition more anyway... Anyone out there wants to get rid of his copy????

I thumbed through this yesterday while viewing the real deal in LA (which you must check out btw if you are in the area), it looked great! Definately a must-buy if you are PT fan, but an easy pass otherwise.

Some of our books are shipping from the US to get them out to our EU customers faster. Speciatly items that have signatures usually are done in the US and therefore need to be shipped to our EU warehouse and sent from there, which of course requires more time.

If we have decided to ship something from the US that was initially available in the EU, then the customer is usually given the option as well as a list of the costs for comparison.

There are a few time where we have opted for US direct shipment becasue the EU carrier refused to carry a certain sized item and insure it for its value.

Hope this helps!

Chicky
Sideshow

No outer packaging care on DRESSING...

DonnamiraTook said:
Mine arrived the same way -- dirty box, crumpled corner, a couple of gouges and large shipping label. I thought about saving it to protect the book, but ended up throwing it away as it was not very attractive at that point. I was a bit surprised as everything else is boxed carefully and this didn't even rate a shipping box.

If you contact Sideshow - let me know the results.

Thanks for the info Donnamira!

Here's how this particular saga spooled out for me: At first, Sideshow said they would certainly get me a book with its outer package in better shape and that they would contact me later in the day once they decided on a plan of action. Then, after a few days wait with no word whatsoever, I called again and was told that that's the way the books were shipped to them and that they could do nothing about it. I will say that they were extremely nice on the phone and I have always had wonderful interactions with these fine folks at conventions, etc., but I must say I'm disappointed by their flip-flop response, expecially on such a high-priced item. Real nice, Sideshow...

Wonderful, I received my copy today. Apart from a dented corner on the clamshell, it is fine. To bad it is on the upper right corner of the front, and therefore visible each time you choose to open the book, but, I really don't have the drive to send the book back because of that.
There is a question though. The white box which contained the book (clamshell and all) was open. The tape was cut. It looks like someone wanted to check on the inside. Any of you had the same experience?
Perhaps someone at taxes wanted to make sure that the package really contains a book, since there is no tax due on books here in the EU. That's the only way I can explain this. To be complete, I might say that the white shipping box (with the picture on it) was packed in brown packing paper, so the clamshell could not fall out of the white box.
My clamshell contained:
- a Wookiee belt-buckle replica
- a certificate of authenticity
- the DVD
- a envelope with a piece of the Darth Vader cape
- The actual book, signed (hardcover with a French-fold jacket)
- a booklet with the fabric swatches
- a booklet on the costumes of the CG characters
- a signed quality control card
Anything missing?
Here are the swatches that I got:
Obi Wan, Neimoidian Gunner, Padmé (Green Devoré Velvet), Neimoidian Aide, Padmé (Burgundy Cut Velvet), Bail Organa (Velvet Senate), Anakin Skywalker, Palpatine (Gray Federation Robe), Padmé (Peacock and Brown), Handmaiden 1. Unfortunately not all swatches are complete: for some characters, I have only received 2 from the 4 available swatches.
I am very happy with this book, it's so special. Can't wait to read it, and look at all the beautiful pictures. Happy I got it!

I'll share, here's the list of my swatches:

Neimoidian Gunner (top swatch)
Padme Green Devore Velvet (3 swatches: top patterned; 2 lower
left swatches)
Neimoidian Aide (2 swatches: top striped; lower left)
Padme Burgundy Cut Velvet (3 swatches: top two; lower left beads)
Bail Organa Velvet Senate (6 swatches: top 2; all 4 bottom swatches)
Anakin Skywalker (all 5 swatches)
Palpatine Gray Federation Robe (all 4 swatches)
Padme Peacock and Brown (top left and right)
Handmaiden 1 (5 swatches - all except bottom right)

So actually got swatches from all the Episode III costumes -- 31 total. I expect the others were not even available.

Back again. Looks like I missed a 3rd Neimoidian Aide swatch -- lower left so make that 35 swatches.

No more, I promise.

Back