Are there even any Old School RAH fans left ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

die

Super Freak
Reaction score
When I was a kid, Snake-Eyes was THE MAN.

But, that's because I read the Gi Joe comics.

In the comics, you couldn't help but to be interested in the character. I'd always flip out when I saw that the new Joe comic had Snake-Eyes or Storm Shadow on the cover. He was an amazing soldier, but I always found myself really feeling sorry for him. Other kids that I knew who didn't read the comics liked Snake-Eyes because he was a ninja or he was a good guy dressed all in black. For me, he was a guy you never really wanted to be (no matter how badass he was) because he was such walking tragedy. He had a disfigured face, he couldn't talk, he lived in isolation, he could never really allow himself to get too close to Scarlett and then there's all the wars & bad blood from his past. He never could escape his past, it always came back to haunt him!

I know there have been alot of "re-inventions" of Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow whether it be from new comics, Sigma 6, new figures, custom figures and even the live-action movie, so I ask ....Am I the only one that realizes that Snake-Eyes is not some Matrix-esque character in a trenchcoat? He's not a SWAT member? He carried an Uzi rather than an MP5? He didn't wear scuba goggles or snow goggles? or that he's not a mime or comic relief. How can so many get such great characters so wrong?

There was once a time when seeing a custom figure of Snake-Eyes carrying a walkie-talkie was the most wrong thing ever, then I saw a clip from the new movie where Storm Shadow is wearing a white dinner jacket with Pro-Keds and a fireman mask with bangs hanging out the side.

I'm going to get out my old Joe comics and track down the issues I'm missing to make a complete set. I'll read through those rather than waiting on any new stuff to be good, especially the live action offering.

Zartan was one of my favorites. He's actually my favorite is the re-instated comics.

I was just talking to a friend today about how it was back in the 80's when it comes to G.I.Joe. The comics and the cartoon were completely different animals. In the comic Snake Eyes was the best, he was pretty much the star, kind of like the Wolverine of G.I.Joe. In the cartoon, Sgt. Slaughter was, IMO, the best Joe on the planet. Hell, in G.I.Joe the Movie, Serpentor just was not tough enough so he had to move up to Nemesis Enforcer for a worthy opponent.
But yes, I am an old-time RAH fan and I can't get enough of it.

Snake Eyes was reduced to being a lame mime in the cartoon & Storm Shadow was so stereotypical, he even sounded like Mr. Miyagi.

I watched the cartoon for Shipwreck & Cobra Commander, they were the stars of the cartoon! Followed by Flint & Zartan.

I had tons of ARAH Joes as a kid. Never read the comics until early '02 when I got back into collecting though. My favorite figure as a kid was always Beachhead. Storm Shadow was another but I never had him, my cousin did though and that figure was practically mine, I played with him so much! But I really loved Snake Eyes, only had the '89 version though. His backstory and the effect it had on others like the Commander, Baroness and Storm Shadow makes him an interesting character, imo. I love that a lot of the Cobra higher ups are interconnected with one another through Snakes. It's all one giant web with Snake Eys and Cobra Commander in the middle.

I collect the 25th as a patronage to older figures. I don't feel it replaces the original series whatsoever. It's just an update like MOTUC. I often compare them to new Star Wars figures as opposed to vintage ones. It's not meant to replace the older figures, it's a new start in general.

Looking back on it the cartoon was pretty bad, except for a few episodes like "Jungle Trap" and the opening to the '87 movie. DDP was okay for a bit but went downhill after the second incarnation of Serpentor. Just felt like they didn't know what to do after that. I won't be getting the IDW series simply because classic Joe can't be topped and I'm happy with my old Marvel books. The film... looks like a step down from the Spytroops movie which was utter crap. GI Joe just seems to be one of those products that they got so right the first time they just can't top it.

I'm as old school as it gets. :D
I had the 12" Fuzz head 'Joe's and followed the
80's 3 3/4" Joe's from the first figure, comic and
cartoon. I've loved them from the very beginning
and my favourite characters from the comics were
Clutch & Snake Eyes and then, Zartan & the Dreadnoks.
I absolutely loved Cobra Commander and his "try to
take my helmet off, and we'll all get blown up" warning.
I loved the comic panels where we were teased with
Cobra Commander & Destro's "real faces."
The Fred series...heck, Billy & Storm Shadow, even.
Then, the Crimson Twins...
...man, was there a 'Joe comic I didn't like? ;)

I remember buying the comics at Gas Stations when they
were first released. I loved getting home as fast as possible
to watch the cartoons. I would sit and watch the cartoon
and draw sketches of the characters, since they always
looked a little different from the comics and card art.

You're right, the Movie coming out bears no resemblance
to the 'Joe's I remember. At best, it's a watered down version
and I'm sick of hearing how Stephen Sommmers thinks
this version is the best ever. He obviously has no idea...
:rolleyes:

I still remember being shocked when I thought Major Bludd had killed the Baroness when she drove her HISS in front of him to protect Destro.......

i was a HUGE fan of the comic i started reading it with issue 8 and tracked down most of the back issues shortly after...

The Gijoe comic was awesome... the cartoon was stupid.

What would qualify as "old school?" I remember owning all the 3 3/4" figures before they had the "kung-fu" grip! :lol

"Swivel-Arm Battle Grip" actually. "Kung Fu" grip was what the old 60's 12 inchers had. ;)

Snake Eyes was always my favorite as a kid just from his action figure and filecard. I never read the comics or watched the cartoon until *after* I sold all my figures in a garage sale when I started junior high. He was definitely cool in the comics though. I love in issue 21 (Silent Interlude) where the red ninja is spinning his two sai at the top of the stares and Snake Eyes just lobs a grenade at him. :lol

I love in issue 21 (Silent Interlude) where the red ninja is spinning his two sai at the top of the stares and Snake Eyes just lobs a grenade at him. :lol

HAHAHA! :D

And for anyone who didn't read that issue,
I'll sum up every word in it:

:naughty

:rock Silent Interlude :rock I have the Palisades wall statue based on SI and it is awesome. I remember being a kid and walking from my neighborhood to Toys R Us through some of the roughest neighborhoods in Philly to get the new ('85) version of Snake Eyes. I was 10. So yeah...I'm a pretty hard core RAH fan. :banana

I feel better now. :D

Anybody remember the issue with Destro, CC & Snake eyes all removing their masks on the cover? I remember being floored when I saw that cover for the first time. Of course, the comic itself didn't deliver what you thought it would but just the cover itself was so epic.

I actually had a letter published in one of Marvel's G.I. Joe comic, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. :monkey3

I feel better now. :D

Anybody remember the issue with Destro, CC & Snake eyes all removing their masks on the cover? I remember being floored when I saw that cover for the first time. Of course, the comic itself didn't deliver what you thought it would but just the cover itself was so epic.

I loved that issue and what a tease that cover
was! I bet all of our collected hearts skipped
a beat after seeing that cover for the first time.
(I know mine did.)
:D

I actually had a letter published in one of Marvel's G.I. Joe comic, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. :monkey3

That's awesome! I know I read your letter,
because I used to enjoy reading the questions
posed by the fans and the responses Marvel
would come back with. If you ever figure out
what issue it was, you should post what you
wrote for us all to read. ;)

Back