Veidt's Nite Owl Dark Roast: Official Watchmen Coffee!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is for real, folks. Photographer Clay Enos came up with the idea based on an actual prop in the film and paid to have this done out of his own wallet. Some of us have vowed to help him sell these, partly because he deserves to make a little money off of his work on the film (he got standard salary, but that's it... he doesn't even make a cent off of the WATCHMEN PORTRAITS book, which is all his work). But also because it's just such a damned cool, interesting and unique collectible item:

51TaEGw1igL._SL400_.jpg
51qC57xDsNL._SL400_.jpg

It's a small moment in the film WATCHMEN - Dan and Laurie save a group from a tenament fire. Once inside the Owl Ship, the survivors are offered what else? Coffee. Among all that hardware, there's an airplane-style coffee maker. And Veidt Enterprise's Nite Owl Dark Roast is the imaginary brand of coffee they brew. What better name for the quinessential caffinated beverage when served in the context of nocturnal crime-fighting? In truth, this is 100% organic specialty coffee from WATCHMEN unit photographer Clay Enos and his Organic Coffee Cartel.

Designed on one side to resemble something straight out of the WATCHMEN universe, the other side features a striking black & white portrait of Nite Owl as captured by Enos. With just one run of 10,000 cans produced, this is sure to be a distinctive and unusal collectible.

Buy, buy, buy!!! We're even doing some giveaways, starting with Clay giving out a pair of tickets to the WATCHMEN premiere in L.A.!

https://www.organiccoffee.com/Nite-Owl-Dark-Roast/M/B001O2KSZA.htm

nite-owl-cans1.jpg

nite-owl-cans3.jpg

That bugs me--he's very talented. Hopefully what he loses in terms of compensation with the book, he will gain in terms of respect, awareness of his work and demand in the future, which I hope might translate into something lucrative down the road.

Yep. And it's crazy that he's not making a single cent from the sales of that book. I guess he'll be more careful with his contracts next time. :monkey1

That's the kind of thing that makes Alan Moore pissed at how things work when it comes to his work.

Message from Clay:

Hey all,

Totally relieved that Nite Owl is finally for sale. It took 10 days to go from roaster to Amazon when in fact it's only 4 hours away. Now I hope the problem is selling out ;)

press releases are going out tomorrow but I'm glad to share it with y'all first.

enjoy. and btw, drink the coffee. it's the real deal, single-origin, fair trade, organic specialty/gourmet coffee. of course, save the can!

thanks again,

clay

It's actually gourmet specialty coffee, though. $15-$20 a can (at minimum) is the norm for that stuff.

Still, I completely understand that this is not for everyone. It's just a very cool idea that should appeal to diehards (and coffee enthusiasts).

Would be cool if the beans were somehow shaped like owl pellets .... :sick

I don't know maybe it's just me, but there is something slightly ironic about "owl coffee beans." :dunno :huh :dunno

I flipped through the portraits book in the store - from that I assumed that Zack Snyder took the pics. But I guess he just did the intro?

Back