Watchmen Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanGabriel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just want to ask is it necessary for me to read the Tradepaper back to understand the story behind. I'll be honest I'm totally know nothing bout this comic series and I'm planning to buy the trade before I watch the movie. Thanks so much for all the reply

Ryan

Read it. It's one of the best storys of all time. Amazon has it for 10 bucks.

Obviously it isn't necessary to enjoy the film since 90% of people going to it won't have read it, but you won't enjoy it as much I think.

I debated this, but I think really you should read it, since the movie will be shorter than the graphic novel. And it will allow you to appreciate anything they've added to the movie.

At some point, just read it, it's amazing.

thanks for the reply guys. I'll make a quick run to a LCS to buy it. And I did enjoy the LOTR more after I read the book.

Definitely read it. As with any book a movie is based on, it's always best to read the source material because things always change for the movie.

Thanks for all the input guys, I bought the graphic novel and I'm on chapter 2. The story is very interesting.

Definitely read it. As with any book a movie is based on, it's always best to read the source material because things always change for the movie.

But those people are the ones that get all ^^^^^y when they see the movie and can't enjoy it for what it is. That being said, I am re-reading the book for a second time. :monkey1

Buy the book. Read the book. Then pay it forward. No matter how the film does the books will stand as one of the best comic books stories ever told. I've passed my TPB to 12 different people to bring them into that world.

You should always read the book first if at all possible. Granted, there will be times when you're seeing the movie in like 30 minutes and you don't have time to track the book down but reading the book (or whatever) first is ideal.

If you read the book after seeing the movie you'll hear Billy Crudup's voice in your head whenever you read Dr. Manhattan's dialogue. You'll hear Jackie Earle Haley's voice when you read Rorschach, etc. That's not necessarily a bad thing (and truth is, with trailers and everything you're probably already past the point where that could be avoided anyway) but you should strive for a "clean" read where you get to form your own take on the characters, the action etc.

A comic book is more visual but it's even more pronounced in a novel. If you read a novel without seeing the movie you'll actually imagine everything for yourself but once you've seen the movie it will probably be like reading a transcript of the movie. That's what you'll picture.

i don't think you have to read it as the movie is a movie and is going to be different. but if you are a comic fan or more importantly just like great reads you have to check it out. words cannot stress how amazing the experience of sitting down with the watchmen can be. it's one of those things i read every so often like lord of the rings. when i owned a comic shop i used to give copies of it away. i just couldn't stand for customers to come in, regulars, who bought all kinds of stuff and had never read the watchmen. it was always great when they would come back in after reading it and say, wow. they would just judge everything else differently after that.

Definately read the book. Ill get crucified for saying so, but don't buy into the hype. Its an excellent story, but for all the praise it recieves I expected to read it and find the meaning of life at the end.

Long story short, its a great story! Just don't expect perfection. There are a few holes, and a few issues. You can explain most of them away with a little effort though.

Back