Alien

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yippy

Brothers to the end
Reaction score
Can i be anymore vague with the title? Probably, huh? How about my name job?

Anyways, I want to pick up Alien on DVD and i am wondering which version I should get. Collector's edition or just the regular edition?

Can you tell I'm lazy?

I would say pick up the Quadrilogy set, it has the theatrical release of each film and extended versions....

Are you interested in the other films at all? I hate Alien 3 and to a certain extent, Resurrection also, but the Alien Quadrilogy is fantastic (even if the name is horrible, the correct term for a series of 4 is Tetralogy :lecture ).

If you just want Alien, then get the 2 disc set that is part of the Quadrilogy. This one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...657405?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

It has dts and includes the directors cut. The directors cut is definitely NOT the preferred cut of the film, even for Ridley Scott himself, and he admits that it was a marketing ploy by Fox to make some money. It is interesting, however, to see the differences in the two cuts, and both are available on the disc. You also get an updated transfer from that has been improved from the old release and a wealth of extras on the second disc.

Don't buy this at Amazon's price, and if you look around you can sometimes find it for less than $10 at times.

IMO, there are only two Alien movies: Alien and Aliens.

I prefer the theatrical cuts of both.

Gruson said:
IMO, there are only two Alien movies: Alien and Aliens.

I prefer the theatrical cuts of both.

Ditto.

Hey sideshow... take a hint :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...

*couch*1/6 Ripley!*cough!
:wacky

I own the full Quadrilogy set and both the original and "directors cut" version of Alien is available on the same disc. And they are not s**ty Branching versions, they are fully cut into two different films. It's strange that the directors cut of Alien still has that glaring continuity problem with the coffee cup appearing and disappearing, I would've expected them to fix that error if given the chance. The special features of the set are great, and they are very humble in admitting the faults of Alien 3 and Resurrection on their documentary discs.
I have both the extended version releases of Aliens, and the Quadrilogy is the better version since it has the option of playing both theatrical and the special addition Directors cut on the same disc just like all the other movies in the Quad. set (no branching versions).
Also, it has the Laser Disc special features that weren't available on any other DVD version of Aliens.
Personally, I prefer the Directors Cut of Aliens, I could've swore I saw those automated guns in the theater when it was first released. :confused:

I have a question for those who own the Quadrilogy, instead of buying the set I just picked up the singles of Alien & Aliens, but I was wanting to pick up the Alien Resurrection disk because it had an alternate ending. Can anyone tell me what the alternate ending for the Resurrection movie was?

Doubt its much different. They screwed it up. Joss Whedons Alien Ressurection sounded SOOO cool. Then they changed it ALL. I wish we could have seen it the way he wanted, it seriously sounded wicked.

Alien 3 is one of favourites! :cool:

Then I saw the re-cut version on my Jap Quad set (with DTS on all films) and I loved it even more! :banana

I rate this films:

1. Alien3, Alien, Aliens
2. Alien Resurrection

Psycho Cenobite :horror

:horror thats something you dont hear every day. how different was it? I didnt like it too much, again the directors movie was changed. I think the studios made him re-do some for some reason. I thought it was one of the weakest. To me NOTHING can beat Aliens.

I did a quick check to be sure, Alien Resurrection special edition features a very long shot at the beginning outside the large "Star Destroyer" spaceship and ends with a really badly done CGI bug that a guy squishes inside some control tower cockpit at the end of the ship. The new ending is a scene of the small spaceship landing on earth in rubble, Ripley and Call have a longer conversation sitting on rubble about what they'll do next and the scene ends with a long CGI shot of a destroyed Paris.
Alien III is a much better version which shows the rescue crew on a very desolate beach looking for survivors, there's maggots everywhere. They then pull the Lifeboat ashore with some oxen. Latter they show a slater house were they bring a oxen that dies mysteriously, after they leave the chest burster punches through the ox and falls out on the floor. Next comes the Bambi Alien scene with the newborn Alien slowly standing up on wobbly legs, this alien was fully designed by H.R. Giger. The Bambi Alien then scurries off down a corridor.
Later you see a few more scenes added into the film with more dialog. The other big part of the film edited out was a subplot with the lunatic that shows why he freed the Alien once they contained it in that sealed room.
I should also mention that the dialog for the extended scenes had to be ADR but they didn't bother because the studio wasn't going to release the movie with those scenes in theaters, so the Audio is the original recordings done on set. As a result, the extended scenes for Alien III have a distinctive audio recording that makes it difficult to hear the dialog.
The only films in the set that have true directors cuts are Aliens and Alien III. The other two films were put together by the studio just to make special edition versions for the Quadrilogy.
Something's that were revealed in the Documentaries: Alien Resurrection was originally going to have the small spaceship crash on earth with some aliens and I think the Newborn Alien and have the cast fight them off in a forest. Alien III was originally going to take place on a large Space station made mostly out of wood. And Michael Biehn was anticipating reprising his role as Hicks in Alien III, but when he found out they killed his character he was so pissed that he wouldn't let them use his likeness as a dummy that was killed on the Life boat so the production crew had to hide the dummy's face by having a large beam come down and smash Hicks' face in. Also there was a much longer and gruesome scene in Alien III of Newt's autopsy that was so realistic that it had to be edited down much to David Fincher's dislike. And the studio really treated Fincher like crap on Alien III, none of the other directors on this series were treated so badly, that's why Fincher doesn't make an appearance in the documentary or on a commentary track.
I'm also a fan of Alien III, it's not my favorite of the series but it doesn't come in dead last with Resurrection and Alien vs. Predator.

Last edited:
hmm Im interested in acquiring these 2 now. I heard he was treated like crap too, which is absolutely terrible. Cool if they hadnt killed all the characters off though! I would have loved it if hicks or newt were in it, still surviving. I also get why they killed them off, make it more lonesome and hostile, bringing it back to "Alien" style.

Thanks screamingmetal I always wondered about that, I have the regular Alien Ressurection DVD and wanted to know if it was worth it to buy the SE. Glad I didn't waste my money.

Back