No Hot Toys Oldman Gordon - Explained

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
www.cooltoyreview.com had this new article posted.

While Hot Toys has announced that we will see more figures in the popular Movie Masterpiece collection based on The Dark Knight, Commissioner Jim Gordon will not be one of them. There is little doubt the Hong Kong based toy makers would be all over this figure, but a reliable source has revealed that Gary Oldman's likeness was something outside of the license parameters. The question is whether this is something that can change in time, or if it is carved in stone. Oldman's likeness was produced last year as part of NECA's Harry Potter line, but without official word from Hot Toys we can't speculate whether the issue is with the acclaimed actor or with the license itself.

Harry Potter is the only time Oldman's had his likeness used, right? I know that HAS TO BE a stipulation to be in those movies since J.K. Rowling is milking that franchise for all it's worth. I've never seen anything else official with his likeness before. So maybe Gary Oldman just isn't into having stuff with his likeness out there, like John Hurt, etc.

Hey may not be against it, but WB may have not pursued or worked the likeness rights into his contract or whatever because they didn't anticipate a need for it where Bale and Ledger in the leads could easily be predicted as popular for merchandising, and of course Eckhart as Two-Face would surely be popular in merchandise too. So now, if HT wanted to do Gordon, they may have to negotiate with an independent group like with the Dutch figure and Arnie's likeness, and they may not feel Gordon sales justify the added expense and effort.

I'm not privvy to any inside information, but I find this really hard to believe. I can't imagine that, on such a huge marketing phenomenom as Batman, that the powers that be at Warner Bros would have issued contracts that didn't include likeness rights for all the performers. If George Lucas has taught us nothing else about filmmaking, it is that it's the merchandise from films that can ultimately be the cash-cow, and I just don't see WB or DC or whoever it was that ultimately issued the contracts to allow likeness rights not to be a part of those contracts.

I can, just look at the kiddie line from Mattel and even the Movie Masters line, Jim Gordon hasn't ever been made. I'm sure WB has no clue how popular Hot Toys type collectibles are with fans and that even Gordon would be in demand. Batman, the Joker and Two-Face have the most marketably and I can fully believe that WB would fail to see past that and secure any rights beyond that for marketing. Perhaps they never secured such rights for Ra's and Scarecrow from Begins thinking only Batman could sell.

Yeah realistically, how many little kids are gonna buy a LT. Gordan figure when it's sitting next to Batman, Joker & Two-Face!? And beyond that, yeah there's a minor demand in the 1/6 scale community but why take the risk when HT knows another Joker and/or Batman figure would sell better.

Yeah realistically, how many little kids are gonna buy a LT. Gordan figure when it's sitting next to Batman, Joker & Two-Face!? And beyond that, yeah there's a minor demand in the 1/6 scale community but why take the risk when HT knows another Joker and/or Batman figure would sell better.

Like your signature man.:cool:

So did CTR get this from the HT newsletter or is it from another source?

HT would likely never official come out with something like this, and no newsletter came today, sounds like they've got their own source for this information.

"we will see more figures in the popular Movie Masterpiece collection based on The Dark Knight"
What will we see?

Not gordon appearently. I just caved in, and I'm probobly gonna jump on the chris howes bandwagon for gordon now.

C'mon Scarecrow :rock

And I agree about doing a "SWAT team member" with a likeness similar to Gordon's, or maybe just a cheap, nude body release. I figure they could also do this with the Governator's likeness, and release separate movie-accurate outfits with generic heads that could be switched out with those. I mean, they found a way around the "no Predator toys" license by creating their "poseable model kits". . .

yeah whats with the figureSSSSSSSS statement? imagine if they did more, aside from this possibly next joker :D

. So maybe Gary Oldman just isn't into having stuff with his likeness out there, .

HAHA that just sounds funny, i can picture him walking past a shop with a figure of himself sitting behind the window front and him thinking 'f$@#%ng damnit, thats MY likeness, and MINE only' :p

yeah whats with the figureSSSSSSSS statement? imagine if they did more, aside from this possibly next joker :D

I wouldn't read much into that, the article is all CTR's words, not an official release from Hot Toys.

I can, just look at the kiddie line from Mattel and even the Movie Masters line, Jim Gordon hasn't ever been made. I'm sure WB has no clue how popular Hot Toys type collectibles are with fans and that even Gordon would be in demand. Batman, the Joker and Two-Face have the most marketably and I can fully believe that WB would fail to see past that and secure any rights beyond that for marketing. Perhaps they never secured such rights for Ra's and Scarecrow from Begins thinking only Batman could sell.

Well there has been Scarecrow figures released, not sure if there's been any with a Cillian likeness, but Mattel definitely released a masked Scarecrow. Beyond that, and again it's only my speculation, but I think a lot of studios learnt a lot from Lucas about the need to - even if just to be on the safe side - include merchandising likeness rights in actors' contracts. Even if it's just because they want to put an image on a lunch box, or in a colouring book, or whatever, I just can't see them not covering themselves by locking these rights in.

This is bull^^^^. If HT wanted to create a Gordon they could. They've bypassed the actor's likenesses a ton of times even hiding a great sculpt with tons of paint in order to by pass it. Not to mention if they really wanted to do they could have made the glasses non removable and given them such a glare that you couldn't tell what was under there as we see often done in the comics. If they don't do Gordon its because they don't want to not because they can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back