Whip Handle Position on the PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Club Obi Wan

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I originally thought the whip would only go in one way on the PF figure -- handle in the back. Comments here on this forum seemed to confirm that was the only way the whip could go in.

But I could never get the whip to "sit" just right in Indy's hand. The whip always dangled from his fingertips, or else you had to wedge it in a way where the fronds jutted out at a forty-five degree angle in defiance of gravity.

So I fiddled with the whip again and tried putting it in with the handle in front. The whip seats perfectly in his hand now, in a way that looks much more natural! I seem to recall some early pictures of the PF showing the whip in that orientation as well.

Maybe this is the way the whip was designed to go in, after all.

Alright, I only have my camera phone and I'm a little busy right now, so I apologize for the quality of the pics. But they should at least prove I'm not lying! :lol

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos, but the loops at the end of the whip now appear to "drape" off Indy's fingers, in a way that's more natural. His grip on the whip seems more natural too.

And this position lets you have a good look at all the detail on the whip handle, which I think is more interesting than having the fronds in front.

EDIT: And just for the sake of interest, here's a photo I took of the PF when it was displayed at Comic-Con last year. Note the whip handle position!

IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited:
That's the only way that really makes sense. Indy is right handed, so if he needed to grab it, it would make no sense for the handle to be rear facing.

Great detail on that whip! Never saw the PF whip that close up before. They even nailed the 4-bight pattern on the Turk's knot. I like that there is a big knot in the fall, too. That always happens with whips. At least one of the ToD whips had a few knots in the fall. Doesn't have a cracker, though. This detail is alway left out :rolleyes: You should tie a piece of black string to the end of the fall. It would be perfect then.

That's the only way that really makes sense. Indy is right handed, so if he needed to grab it, it would make no sense for the handle to be rear facing.

Great detail on that whip! Never saw the PF whip that close up before. They even nailed the 4-bight pattern on the Turk's knot. I like that there is a big knot in the fall, too. That always happens with whips. At least one of the ToD whips had a few knots in the fall. Doesn't have a cracker, though. This detail is alway left out :rolleyes: You should tie a piece of black string to the end of the fall. It would be perfect then.

Turk's knot? Fall? Cracker? These are alien terms to me... :google

Reading over my earlier post, it's clear I don't know my whips. For some reason I thought the end with the cracker were called fronds...but as you mentioned, you can't really see the cracker anyway (though I guess the little "bulb" at the tip is supposed to suggest the cracker, maybe?).

Good point about how Indy would reach for the whip with his right hand. I never even thought of that.

that's the way I had mine from the start.. I've never tried to put it in the other way...

Cool, that mean's it wasn't a fluke I was able to get mine in that position. It really wasn't too difficult either, though you can't get it in his hand by the most direct and intuitive route -- which would be jamming it in, at the point you would want the whip and hand to come in contact. The first step is bringing the whip in "sideways" or perpendicular to Indy's body, as others have mentioned, but then you have to rotate the whip around its own circle, if that makes sense, until you reach a point where the whip slides into his grip. Then you have to rotate the whip back again to get it to its final position.

Last edited:
I always had the whip positioned with the handle in the rear, and I just tried it this way with the handle in front. It was actually pretty easy to get into his hand, I just slid the thinnest part of the whip into his hand first, then rotated it until it was snug in his hand. Thanks for bringing this up Club Obi Wan, it really does make more sense this way and it does look more natural and like he has a better grip on it.

I always had the whip positioned with the handle in the rear, and I just tried it this way with the handle in front. It was actually pretty easy to get into his hand, I just slid the thinnest part of the whip into his hand first, then rotated it until it was snug in his hand. Thanks for bringing this up Club Obi Wan, it really does make more sense this way and it does look more natural and like he has a better grip on it.

No problem, Havok! I figured other PF owners might be dissatisfied with how the whip looked with the handle in back, so I just thought I'd share... :whip

Great, great tip! I ran down to the Family Room and made this change as soon as I read your post. Looks great! Much better than handle back. Thanks!

Great, great tip! I ran down to the Family Room and made this change as soon as I read your post. Looks great! Much better than handle back. Thanks!

You're welcome! Looks like others figured it out before I did, but no one seemed to have explicitly mentioned it before now.

Sideshow ought to include an instruction manual with this thing... :lol

Has anyone received a PF figure where the whip hand is actually touching Indy's leg?
I just opened my PF Exclusive, and found out I can't install the whip. I just sold my standard PF Indy to a friend, and opened up the EX, and found out I may have to send it back. There is literally no flex in the arm at all, to try and force the whip in there.
Anyone encounter this problem?
Mike

Has anyone received a PF figure where the whip hand is actually touching Indy's leg?
I just opened my PF Exclusive, and found out I can't install the whip. I just sold my standard PF Indy to a friend, and opened up the EX, and found out I may have to send it back. There is literally no flex in the arm at all, to try and force the whip in there.
Mike

Flex in the arm? It's polystone - not supposed to flex at all. You should be able to slide the whip inbetween the body and hand with no problem.

Mike

The tip of my EX's thumb touches the pant leg, but not so closely I wasn't able to get the satchel underneath that point.

I would think you could still get the whip into his hand, you'd just have to be careful to put it in "sideways" as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Yeah, the thumb presses against the leg on mine, making it a trick to even postition the bag correctly. Basically the bag is tight underneath the thumb.

Here's a pic, forgive the quality.
100_1502.jpg

Even turning the whip sideways wouldn't work. Wish I had an actual mini leather whip, i could coil it in there myself. if I return it, I'm going to end up with a different number, and this one is sorta low. #386.
Mike

Yeah, the thumb presses against the leg on mine, making it a trick to even postition the bag correctly. Basically the bag is tight underneath the thumb.

Here's a pic, forgive the quality.
100_1502.jpg

Even turning the whip sideways wouldn't work. Wish I had an actual mini leather whip, i could coil it in there myself. if I return it, I'm going to end up with a different number, and this one is sorta low. #386.
Mike

Well, that's definitely different than mine -- all the fingertips are touching the leg, so there's no way you could get the whip in at all!

Sorry you have to get yours replaced, but I agree, that's probably the only option.

Yeah, this is a drag. Well, I'll give them a call tomorrow, see what they have to say.
I'm really hoping I can keep my number,....and hopefully get one with a nicer bag strip.
This is one of the pale brown/green ones. yuck.
Mike

Thanks for the help, folks. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it plays out.
Mike

Yeah, this is a drag. Well, I'll give them a call tomorrow, see what they have to say.
I'm really hoping I can keep my number,....and hopefully get one with a nicer bag strip.
This is one of the pale brown/green ones. yuck.
Mike

That's weird. Are the fingers actually touching the leg completely?

Mine are very close, and it takes a little bit of effort and work to get the whip to fit in the hand when you slide it in sideways, but you can work it in eventually.

Back