PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite member of the Watchmen?

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
For anyone who's read Watchmen at least once (and everyone should, otherwise you are seriously missing out) has a favorite member, either because they are just plain badass or you relate to them is some way.

So, who is yours? And why?

Me, I gotta go with Rorschach.
At the time I read it when it first came out when I was in high school, I related to him being something of an outsider.

DinoLast
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I went for Nite Owl but I wish I could voted for the Silk Spectre II as well. They are really the only true heroes in the whole story.

Cap'n Cook
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Rorschach, because he never compromises.

DarthNeil
01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Rorschach, because he never compromises.

That sums up my thoughts as well.

MorgulTongue
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I have never read the story, but will see the movie. The Comedian looks cool!

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Nit-pick alert ---> It's just WATCHMEN, dude. No "The".

That said... Rorschach, even with all his quirks, is probably the most instantly likable character. But there is no question that Edward Blake (The Comedian) is the most complex and complicated of all of the characters. On the surface, he's a kick ass nihilistic badass with a misogynistic bent. But it's all a front. Underneath, he's the key tragic anti-hero of the entire piece and all of the book's thematic roads lead back to him. Mr. Moore, Shakespeare would be proud.

Dr.Mirakle32
01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
For me, it's a toss-up between Blake, Rorshcach, and Veidt, but I voted Blake.

Odowankenobi
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I am unaware of any crime fighting group known as The Watchmen. However if you were asking what my favorite character in the book titled Watchmen is then my response would be Rorschach. He's incredibly unstable, and usually the most interesting to watch.

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I am unaware of any crime fighting group known as The Watchmen. However if you were asking what my favorite character in the book titled Watchmen is then my response would be Rorschach. He's incredibly unstable, and usually the most interesting to watch.

Well, a poll question that asks "Who is your favorite member of the crime fighting group known as The Crimebusters, which only really had one meeting and never fully formed?" would be more accurate but probably a little too long. :lol

"The" Watchmen is fastly becoming a pet peeve, though. And I imagine I should just get used to it, because it'll get worse after March. :horror

glyoung99
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
The Comedian for his complexity. A very different kind of "hero"?

cerebus23
01-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Rorschach because he had a bad life, and he is kinda like batman because he is human and used his brain, even tho you can argue he is more crazy.

and tho he kills people he seemed to only kill the worst of the worst monsters in real life.

and when everyone gave up and hung their suits up he said %#&@ that i am gonna keep fighting for what i believe in no matter what the cops and society says and i am gonna terrorise the monsters on the street and make them pay when the cops cant do squat to them.

even in the face of dr mahattan threatening him and powerless to do anything about it he stood for what he believed in and never wavered, you gotta respect that.

and in the very end his pen proved mightier than the sword.

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Rorschach because he had a bad life, and he is kinda like batman because he is human and used his brain, even tho you can argue he is more crazy.
He's what Batman would be if he were real.

Jen
01-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I had to go with Rorschach.....I was just really drawn to his character (more so than the others).....he's a bit out there....but like others have said he has principles and he sticks by them no matter what. I can respect that.

I was sad to see him die at the end...but was glad that his journal will tell the people the truth.

Dr.Mirakle32
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Why do fans get so **** about this? Just because they were never offically called "Watchmen" within the context of the story, it's just a general way of refering to the superheroes in the book/movie.

King Darkness
01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
http://scramblenetwork.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/rorschach.jpg

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Why do fans get so **** about this?
Because it's incorrect, of course. :p

Just because they were never offically called "Watchmen" within the context of the story, it's just a general way of refering to the superheroes in the book/movie.
Understood. And, frankly, there is a real possibility that they are actually referred to as "Watchmen" in the movie now. And I can live with that. It's really the "the Watchmen" thing that bugs the crap out of me when people use it in reference to the group or the book/movie instead of simply Juvenal's satirical quote.

Jen
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Because it's incorrect, of course. :p

Understood. And, frankly, there is a real possibility that they are actually referred to as "Watchmen" in the movie now. And I can live with that. It's really the "the Watchmen" thing that bugs the crap out of me when people use it in reference to the group or the book/movie instead of simply Juvenal's satirical quote.

I personally think it has to do with the composition skills that were hammered into us as kids and not anyone calling it THE Watchmen......we were taught to use a, an , the, etc...so it just flows more naturally to say something like "Did you read the Watchmen" vs. "Did you read Watchmen".

Granted I just got into WATCHMEN :) (again the Watchmen sounds more accurate to me from a grammatical standpoint :lol) so it doesn't bother me....and come to think of it this kind of thing just doesn't rub me wrong. It's hard for me to be really **** about anything.....I'm too layed back i suppose. :lol

King Darkness
01-17-2009, 01:06 PM
It annoys about as much as having to refer to Josh as THE Josh :yuck

The Mike
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
:lol....I'm glad that was the "The" example from the boards.

My choice: Dr. Manhattan

Why? He is increasingly detached from humanity, disavows any interest in human affairs and is identified as something of a God-figure. For all his god-like power, he is as flawed and human I would argue to some extent more than the any of the other characters. How can you not love a character writeen so complex?

Jen
01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
It annoys about as much as having to refer to Josh as THE Josh :yuck

I refer to him as Josh, because again from a grammatical standpoint we would not use THE before a proper noun that is a person's name. :lol :D I refuse to be grammatically incorrect!! :lol :o

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh, so it should be "Who watches Watchmen?", huh?:D

And Jen's right. I am a product of the American educational system.:google :lol

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh, so it should be "Who watches Watchmen?", huh?:D

Not at all.

You're just confusing Juvenal's quote with the actual title of the book/movie and name of the group. But I guess that does happen a lot and many people are inclined to say "The Watchmen" (for the reasons Jen explained). But it would be like calling EPISODE III "The Revenge of The Sith". Or "The Return of The Jedi". Whether it sounds right or not, it's just not the title. And that's partly because many other languages don't use "the", "a", "an", etc to the extent Americans do.

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Not at all.

You're just confusing Juvenal's quote with the actual title of the book/movie and name of the group. But I guess that does happen a lot and many people are inclined to say "The Watchmen" (for the reasons Jen explained). But it would be like calling EPISODE III "The Revenge of The Sith". Or "The Return of The Jedi". Whether it sounds right or not, it's just not the title. And that's partly because many other languages don't use "the", "a", "an", etc to the extent Americans do.

Lesson learned.
Thanks, Carl.
:duff

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Lesson learned.
Thanks, Carl.

:lol No worries, man. Trust me... it's really a minor nit (though I do try to nip it in the bud as much as possible before the movie comes out). But some truly **** WATCHMEN fans out there will probably knife people. :horror :duh

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
What's sad is I know that wasn't the name of the book, but somehow "the" got in there anyhow.:o

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
What a shock...no one picked Veidt.:D

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Believe it or not, Veidt does have his fans. You gotta go to some of the WATCHMEN boards to find them, but they're out there... and quite vocal. :lol

The ill Jedi
01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
My favorite member of THE Watchmen is Rorschach. Take your nitpick and shove it. :D

CelticPredator
01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
The Watchmen looks like a Batman ripoff with the dude from Iron Man...he's in every movie! STUPID!

McHavyck
01-17-2009, 03:15 PM
My favorite member of THE Watchmen is Rorschach. Take your nitpick and shove it. :D

:lol:lol:lol

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
The Watchmen looks like a Batman ripoff with the dude from Iron Man...he's in every movie! STUPID!

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Mr ?
01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

As silly as that sounds to "comic book people," that is the exact sentiment I'm hearing from friends that know little about comic books, which is the majority of the public. I know I'm in the minority here but I really don't see this film doing all that well.

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
As silly as that sounds to "comic book people," that is the exact sentiment I'm hearing from friends that know little about comic books, which is the majority of the public. I know I'm in the minority here but I really don't see this film doing all that well.
Eh. It doesn't really matter. The film (and all of the awesome ancillary tie-ins) already got made. Whether it makes only $10 or $250 million all that will matter to me is whether or not I like it.

That said, I do think it will perform somewhere between the bomb some of you are predicting and the massive smash some others are. The mainstream public knew nothing about 300 before it was released, and look what happened there. Word-of-mouth and initial buzz will tell the tale. Then again, I do not have much faith that the average moviegoer will "get" this at all. But, again, I don't really care one way or the other.

Dr.Mirakle32
01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Believe it or not, Veidt does have his fans. You gotta go to some of the WATCHMEN boards to find them, but they're out there... and quite vocal. :lol

I'm one of them. I just like the Comedian more.

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, I like them ALL and would take them over just about any mainstream DC/Marvel character out there. :lecture

Mr ?
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Eh. It doesn't really matter. The film (and all of the awesome ancillary tie-ins) already got made. Whether it makes only $10 or $250 million all that will matter to me is whether or not I like it.

That's probably the best attitude for a fan to have, people often get really defensive when a beloved comic isn't received as they wish. No matter what happens, as long as you're a Watchmen fan you should be very happy right now.

IrishJedi
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
That's probably the best attitude for a fan to have, people often get really defensive when a beloved comic isn't received as they wish. No matter what happens, as long as you're a Watchmen fan you should be very happy right now.
Yep. And box office has never been the best indicator of quality anyway.

Patient Zero
01-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I have really zero knowledge of Watchmen other than the threads dedicated to toys and the upcoming movie. What would be the best book/comic to purchase to get up to speed? Without reading a bunch of stuff, Is there a Trade paperback or something? :angelsmil

Dr.Mirakle32
01-17-2009, 05:59 PM
WATCHMEN by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. :rolleyes:

Patient Zero
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
WATCHMEN by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. :rolleyes:

Sweet, I feel kinda dumb now, I thought it was a series of books. I have a giftcard and I am going to get this. Correct me if this is the wrong thing, If its correct be quiet and let me feel dumb in peace. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289234

monkeydad16
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
I just recently read Watchmen. All the buzz on the forum got me curious. Amazing story, I'd have to say that my favorite would be Rorschach.

The Drizzle
01-17-2009, 10:05 PM
The Comedian, because there has to be that someone that does what has to be done.

The Drizzle
01-17-2009, 10:08 PM

Just wait till you see the movie. They refer to themselves as "The Watchmen"- it's a gripe of purists, it seems Snyder thinks the dumb public won't understand the film's name if they didn't. Go watch trailer #2... if you're like me, it'll piss you off.

prefused
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Dr. Manhattan for being the most interesting character and having the coolest powers.

and i bet every one of you that voted for Rorschach also dressed up as Ledger Joker last Halloween.
for shame!

darren1228
01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't know that much about Watchmen but I picked Silk Spectre because she's hot :D

IrishJedi
01-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Just wait till you see the movie. They refer to themselves as "The Watchmen"- it's a gripe of purists, it seems Snyder thinks the dumb public won't understand the film's name if they didn't. Go watch trailer #2... if you're like me, it'll piss you off.

There is still no "the", darn it. :tap

CelticPredator
01-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Dr. Manhattan for being the most interesting character and having the coolest powers.

and i bet every one of you that voted for Rorschach also dressed up as Ledger Joker last Halloween.
for shame!

:monkey3

Oh well. It was the most fun halloween. Not like i'm ever really going to get to dress up again...why not go out with a bang eh? :D

TwoFace
01-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Voted for NiteOwl. Just to help him out, and hes my 2nd favorite character. :P

scubasteve
01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
If I absolutely had to pick one character, it would be Dr. M.

Odowankenobi
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM

I've seen the trailer. It did annoy me. But it sounded a bit like the lines were edited a bit, so I'm not quite sure if that's just a trailer thing or actually in the movie. I guess I can understand why they're doing it, but that does not mean I have to like it.

IrishJedi
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Even in the trailer, Dan says "Watchmen are over"... not "THE Watchmen are over". There is still no "the"! :lecture