Sticky Stands?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonhahn

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, So I have a question for you all...

I have had several of my 12" Star Wars dolls on display for a while (6 months - 2 years) and recently I had to move them. When I did, I found to my horror that 4 of them actually stuck to their stands and when I moved them, they pulled some of the paint from the "Star Wars" logo off! I keep the house relatively cool (68-78 degrees) and they have not been exposed to any heat. Non-smoking home in a dry climate (Colorado). I dust them once a month but I had never really moved them off the stands. This happened on my ANH Han, Praj, Leia Boussh and Tatoonie Luke. It's like the rubber on the boots is degrading but I wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. Have you moved your dolls lately? It may just be me and something I am doing wrong....

:horror

I have never had it happen, but I dust and repose figures pretty often so they never stay in the exact same place for months at a time.

Hi, So I have a question for you all...

I have had several of my 12" Star Wars dolls on display for a while (6 months - 2 years) and recently I had to move them. When I did, I found to my horror that 4 of them actually stuck to their stands and when I moved them, they pulled some of the paint from the "Star Wars" logo off! I keep the house relatively cool (68-78 degrees) and they have not been exposed to any heat. Non-smoking home in a dry climate (Colorado). I dust them once a month but I had never really moved them off the stands. This happened on my ANH Han, Praj, Leia Boussh and Tatoonie Luke. It's like the rubber on the boots is degrading but I wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. Have you moved your dolls lately? It may just be me and something I am doing wrong....

:horror

*goes to move figures* :chase

yes. this has happened to a few of my SS figures. not just the SW ones. i think the stands arent properly sealed. i wonder if spraying the stands with a sealer would help. my aayla was the worst. i swear the entire bottom of her boot is silver now.

yep..some of mine made that crack/pop sound when I moved them. just like craw..Aayla was the worst of mine also. :huh

now I know what I'll be doing every month. :D

thanks for the heads up..or should I say feet up..:lol

It's happened to a bunch of my SS figures, Hellboy, Buffy, you name it. The color of the paint on the stand or shoe/boot seems irrelevant. No real rhyme or reason either. It'll happen to one figure, but not the one right next to it.

ok, anyone who has this happening try this: take a little bit of talcum powder (baby powder) and dab a little on the boot/feet & the stand and rub into the material a bit. it can be a light coat......enough that it doesnt look like your doing blow off your doll ......ummm.......i mean action figure stands. that should keep it from sticking. its something about the softer polymers versus the harder plastics that the softer wants to weld to it, but the talc slows down that process. needs to be checked on and repeated every so often.

I think you meant dolls.

I think you need to grow up? :huh

It's the silver paint. Silver paint never fully dries.

:lecture Same thing happened to my old 3 3/4" Joes when put away for a while. I just recently took them out of storage and noticed silver on figures who shouldn't have it and the ones who do, have spots missing or faded due to transfer.

A lot of toys have had problems with "melt marks". I think it's a chemical reaction between some types of flexible plastic, like that used in the boots and the hard plastic used in the stand. The flexible plastic releases a plasticizer, which makes the material flexible. This occurs rapidly at first, then slows down as the flexible plastic ages. (FWIW, Sculpey polymer clay warns against placing uncured clay on some surfaces, and I know for a fact that it will melt styrene.)

When I use stands, I always put a square of Ziplock baggie plastic under the boots. I'm not sure what to do about any hard plastic weapons though-- I've had some problem with Dragon figure's weapons sticking to their soft plastic hands. The best thing to do is monitor the situation periodically.

Jim

It happened to my ANH Han--my first figure, and it was only after a day or two. Now I pose all my figures so their feet avoid the emblem. It does seem more likely to occur with the softer boots than the hard plastic ones. The softer boots offer more "grip" and friction which is what I figured was exacerbating the problem. The hard plastic boots slide around more easily on the stand.

Back