PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Aragorn

The Josh
01-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I'd like to customize my Aragorn a bit. I need to pick up an extra pair of Boromirs Vembraces but what shirt should I go with since his is short sleeved? Plus I need to grab an extra Boromir Eleven Cloak.

pixletwin
01-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Me too. Those elven cloaks are elusive suckers though.

The Josh
01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll end up havint to buy another Boromir honestly.

pixletwin
01-10-2009, 12:36 AM
sigh... i know...

The Josh
01-10-2009, 12:39 AM
sigh... i know...

Its a killer I know. :lol

Any ideas on a shirt?

pixletwin
01-10-2009, 12:43 AM
I remember a member named Estel was making some really impressive ones.

The Josh
01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
I remember a member named Estel was making some really impressive ones.

I'll PM them. TA has some Faramir shirts which might not look horrible. Wouldn't be real "accurate" but looking at the shirt they gave him and the one on the PF they don't match. :lol

superdoug
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah i have one with boromir's vembraces, faramir's shirt and a lothlorien cloak. i wish i had a couple more of those cloaks.

pixletwin
01-10-2009, 06:41 PM
lets see some pics doug. :)

The Josh
01-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah i have one with boromir's vembraces, faramir's shirt and a lothlorien cloak. i wish i had a couple more of those cloaks.

I should have ordered the faramir shirt last night. Its gone now. :( Gonna have to probably order another Faramir. :(

The Josh
01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Man, I am so ticked at myself for not ordering that shirt. Dang! BBTS has Faramir still.

The Josh
01-11-2009, 02:31 AM
What about using anh hans or Endor troopers shirts?

Entropy
01-11-2009, 02:52 AM
That could work. Depends on how important accuracy is to you, I suppose.

The Josh
01-11-2009, 11:01 AM
That could work. Depends on how important accuracy is to you, I suppose.

I'd like to have been smarter and gotten Faramir's shirt since its a bit more accurate but I'm more concerned with it looking good.

superdoug
01-11-2009, 02:19 PM
lets see some pics doug. :)

Alright. I'll take pics of him and the darren customized one. Is it hard to post pictures on here? I haven't done it yet so it'll be a first.

pixletwin
01-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Cool! :rock

The Josh
01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Sweet!! Looking forward to those.

I went ahead and just grabbed ANH Han's shirt off TA and will use that. The shirt they have on him is white so its not a big change and I figure in the end it will look alright enough for display. Plus I've bought an Ex Boromir from a freak so I have the vembraces and Elven cloak.

pixletwin
01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Are you willing to sell the orc head Josh?

superdoug
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
well i took the pictures and i'm creating an album here and then hopefully i can post them from there to this thread.

you'll have to excuse the rush job. it's been a busy couple of weeks so nothing is really posed all that well right now

superdoug
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
does it take a while after you upload a picture for it to show up in your gallery?

pixletwin
01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
No it should be fairly immediate.

The Josh
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Are you willing to sell the orc head Josh?

Dude you can have it since you're willing to do the work on Merry/Pippin's outfits. :duff

pixletwin
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
:rock :rock :rock

The Josh
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
:rock :rock :rock

Indeed!! :rock

I've managed to get everything ordered for aragorn and the hobbits assuming all deals go as planned. :)

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here. Has anyone replaced the Boromir chain mail? That's one thing that's bugged me the most about Boromir is the horrible chainmail. Any help would be appreciated.:)

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Someone posted a pic of their re-chained Boromir.. Let me see if I can find it and post it here...

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Here it is:

Some pics of my Boromir with the chain mail sleeves and some of the weathering, although the pics donĀ“t show the weathering too well.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6471/bw3nm0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/214/bw4mo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2496/bw5jv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And the weathering: (in person you can see it way better, anyway, was just trying it, I may add some more)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5269/bwal8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/820/bw2qd4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice, thanks Marc. I am going to PM Karen and ask what type of chainmail she got.

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Let us know. :rock

ProgMatinee
01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I never had a problem with the faux chainmail. I think it looks pretty feasable.

Entropy
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured I'd ask here. Has anyone replaced the Boromir chain mail? That's one thing that's bugged me the most about Boromir is the horrible chainmail. Any help would be appreciated.:)

It's the rubber dragon timeline mail. It's what I've used for both Boromir and Gimli. :rock

It's a tad more restrictive than the fabric mail, but the best looking option out there, imo.

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Karen replied back but she wasn't sure which chain mail it was. Thanks for the heads up, EC. I'll keep an eye out for it.:rock

Entropy
01-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I checked the various loose 1:6 depots and none had any left. I *may* have a spare or two. I'll have to dig through my junk pile to see.

FlyAndFight
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I never had a problem with the faux chainmail. I think it looks pretty feasable.

Boromir's chainmail never bothered me, either. I think he's the best outfitted figure that Sideshow has produced. There's just so much well done detailing found in that figure.

Just looked at Karen's figure again and noticed that the chain mail that does show is quite a small bit. So not much is actually needed. I may have to look for some in the spares box.

Josh, Aragorn has always been one of my favorite characters in the Tolkien universe and that's why I had his sculpt repainted. It took the figure to a whole new level. Since you are working on customizing your Aragorn as well, you may want to think about a repaint as well. The sculpt is wonderful underneath that factory paint app and begs to be brought out properly.

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, from the face sculpt, to the clothing, to the shield he is just a really great figure.

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
I checked the various loose 1:6 depots and none had any left. I *may* have a spare or two. I'll have to dig through my junk pile to see.

That would be awesome if you can find it dude.:rock:chew

The Josh
01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Josh, Aragorn has always been one of my favorite characters in the Tolkien universe and that's why I had his sculpt repainted. It took the figure to a whole new level. Since you are working on customizing your Aragorn as well, you may want to think about a repaint as well. The sculpt is wonderful underneath that factory paint app and begs to be brought out properly.

I understand. He and Gandalf are really tied so he's very important which is why I'd consider getting it repainted and may send it to Josh at somepoint.

I have Han's shirt now and just waiting Boromir to arrive and I can at least get phase one done. :lol

FlyAndFight
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
:rock

jason2885
01-18-2009, 07:31 AM
I am thinking about buying an extra Aragorn and an exclusive Boromir to create a TTT Aragorn. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use for his elven dagger though.

I now need to find a regular Aragorn and an exclusive Boromir.

jason2885
01-19-2009, 05:03 AM
I now have a deal to get an exclusive Aragorn and Boromir so I have a question what color should his shirt be. I see Josh is getting Faramir, I thought it was suppose to be a maroon color? Anyway does anyone have any other ideas since Faramirs shirt is sold out.

Also does anyone have any ideas for chainmail. Would Boromirs work.

The Josh
01-19-2009, 06:13 AM
I didn't end up getting Faramir. Waited too long honestly. I went with something else that will at least look better than if I went with what he has on underneath. Eventually, I might try to figure something out that works the best.

pixletwin
01-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Aragorns shirt alternated between grey and red, it seems.

jason2885
01-19-2009, 09:08 AM
I think I want to go with red.

I wonder how the Did Aragorn shirt would look.

Blu Falcon
01-20-2009, 06:10 AM
I'd like to customize my Aragorn a bit. I need to pick up an extra pair of Boromirs Vembraces but what shirt should I go with since his is short sleeved? Plus I need to grab an extra Boromir Eleven Cloak.

I bought two Aragorn and two Boromir figures (1 exclusive each). Didn't hurt that I got them all dirt cheap. :duff
I purchased a set of Faramir vem/membraces from Toy Anxiety and plan to paint them to match Boromir's.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8982/aragornargonathui7.jpg

The Josh
01-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Looks good! I thought about buying Faramir's but decided to just try and see if I could get a second Boromir. He should be here any day now.

jason2885
01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any ideas of what good chainmail would be to get for a Helms Deep Aragorn.

lerath666
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
TBQH, I don't like ANY commercially available 1/6th chainmaille. my advice to you is look up how to make chainmaille, then buy some bracelet wire, a tiny metal rod, and start making rings.

it' swhat I'm working on doing for gimli.

thenammagazine
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
TBQH, I don't like ANY commercially available 1/6th chainmaille. my advice to you is look up how to make chainmaille, then buy some bracelet wire, a tiny metal rod, and start making rings.

And 10 years later, nearsighted vision shot and carpel tunnel in both wrists, you'll have a complete 1:6 coat of chain mail armor! :p

pixletwin
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
There is no way in hell that will ever have the time and patience to make my own chainmail. :lol

thenammagazine
01-25-2009, 09:07 PM
There is no way in hell that will ever have the time and patience to make my own chainmail. :lol

No $#!+ :lol. You can't even get the rest of the shoulder armor walkthrough done for Gimli. :p

pixletwin
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey, you have the same pics. This is your moment. Seize the day. :fireworks :flag :flag :flag :fireworks

thenammagazine
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey, you have the same pics. This is your moment. Seize the day.

:tap Hey, I did enough work scouring through all the damn posts to get what's there already. :lol

lerath666
01-27-2009, 05:35 AM
And 10 years later, nearsighted vision shot and carpel tunnel in both wrists, you'll have a complete 1:6 coat of chain mail armor! :p

Heh, It's not THAT bad. At one point in time I made 1:1 wearale armor for profit. Selling things to SCAguys and Larper Guys. Plate Armor was EASY money. you could make 250-500 USd in an afternnon On Plate armor. chainmaille is more time consuming, but if you've got 2 or 3 guys, you can make a shirt a week ( usualy all anyone ever buys, give or take an occasional Coif) I'm still cutting rings to make a skirt and some sleeves for gimli. after that, i'll do aragorn. It's time consuming, and a PAIN IN THE ASS, but the end result is so very worth it.

would I ever make Chainmaille again on commission? No. But i'll gladly teach anyone who wants to learn to make the stuff.

My only thnig right now is time, and not having enough. Senior Year is kicking my ass.

shovelchop81
05-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Here it is:

i think the rubber mail looks great! i thought you guys all slated it because apparently it just looks like rubber? i just ordered a bunch of material ignite mail, kinda wish I'd ordered the rubber now!:crying love the weathering too!:clap

El Skutto
05-14-2009, 05:07 AM
i think the rubber mail looks great! i thought you guys all slated it because apparently it just looks like rubber? i just ordered a bunch of material ignite mail, kinda wish I'd ordered the rubber now!:crying love the weathering too!:clap

The problem with rubber is that it bunches up at articulation points and tends to restrict movement. If you were to bend the figure's arm at the elbow, in no time the arm will straighten itself out due to the rubber applying counter-pressure as it goes back to its original shape.

The other big drawback with rubber is that it deteriorates over time. Sometimes it just dries up and cracks at the articulation points, and other times it starts liquifying, which could potentially ruin your figure.

So, even though rubber looks more realistic than the material alernative, it also has inherent problems. The best solution would be actual 1:6 scale chainmail, but I doubt a figure's legs could support the weight. You'd be picking it up off the floor on a daily basis.

Entropy
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
The problem with rubber is that it bunches up at articulation points and tends to restrict movement. If you were to bend the figure's arm at the elbow, in no time the arm will straighten itself out due to the rubber applying counter-pressure as it goes back to its original shape.

The other big drawback with rubber is that it deteriorates over time. Sometimes it just dries up and cracks at the articulation points, and other times it starts liquifying, which could potentially ruin your figure.

I haven't had either of these problems at all with various rubber chainmail bits.

shovelchop81
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
cheers for the info, i thought the new polymers were supposed to be far superior to say the old 80's GI Joe scuba suit that definitely had the splitting, rotting and liquidification probs? i can understand the bunching up and posing probs though.

ProgMatinee
05-14-2009, 02:18 PM
i finally up and paid someone (smallstudios) to paint aragorn and faramir for me. it'll be like getting completely new figures. if he doesn't get too backed up by the time we get merry and pippen, I'm going through him for those too.

El Skutto
05-15-2009, 05:05 AM
cheers for the info, i thought the new polymers were supposed to be far superior to say the old 80's GI Joe scuba suit that definitely had the splitting, rotting and liquidification probs? i can understand the bunching up and posing probs though.

Oh sure, they've developed better polymers that resist the drying and decomposition much more than previous materials, but they will still deteriorate in time. Whereas it used to take 5-10 years for signs of deterioration to show up, it now takes 15, 20 or more. It's not a big deal if you intend to replace those rubber bits every couple of decades or so, but I wouldn't leave my figures in storage for any prolonged period of time.

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

shovelchop81
05-25-2009, 05:28 AM

i've seen roughly 1/6 scale chain mail in some wierd places like on handbags (purses) etc... have a look on eBay.

shovelchop81
05-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Just put this Strider together last night using DID and Toy Biz parts with a bit of Ignite thrown in, problem is I can't find a decent head sculpt out there. Has anyone made one yet? I like the SS one but it still seems off to me.

El Skutto
05-25-2009, 06:53 AM
The SSC one looks great with a decent repaint. Check out Darren Carnall's webpage for an example.

shovelchop81
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
thanks for the info! great site, I remember seeing his Aragorn being auctioned some time ago but I thought it was just a one off; does he do sculpts to order as well? cheers.

El Skutto
05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
thanks for the info! great site, I remember seeing his Aragorn being auctioned some time ago but I thought it was just a one off; does he do sculpts to order as well? cheers.

The Aragorn was just a repaint, but I know he's no longer taking reservations for painting jobs; he's swamped with requests and trying to catch up. But he also does custom sculpts to order, too. I have no idea how much he charges, so you'd have to contact him to find out.

I bought one of his resculpted Legolas heads a couple of months ago but still haven't gotten around to painting it. Too many things going on at once right now. I'll post pictures when I finally do get around to it. Maybe during my summer holidays...

shovelchop81
05-25-2009, 03:35 PM
:duhguess I'll have a go my self then! I've only got a bunch of heads to screw up that I wouldn't be using anyway!

FlyAndFight
05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
The original SS Aragorn headsculpt is actually fantastic. It's the paint apps that hurt it. Strip the paint and redo and you'll have a significantly better rendition of the Ranger from the North.

shovelchop81
05-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Sod it, I'm using this one; a modified Toy Biz rotocast version. looks good enough to me and ironically the cheapest!

Gruff Old Bear
10-16-2009, 07:58 AM
I feel that even with the best repaint, the Sideshow sculpt is one of the weakest likenesses they've ever released. I actually removed it in favor of the Dragon head "inspired" by Viggo in "GI Jane." Les Walker painted it for me:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Gruff_Old_Bear/Customs/DSC_0014.jpg

Now here's what I consider really good news. Red Planet Toys (direct link to custom head page) (http://www.redplanettoys.com/custom_heads.html) will be coming out with three new Viggo heads sculpted by Erick Sosa. The first is from "Eastern Promises," the second from "Appaloosa," and the third will be Aragorn. Here's a peek at the "Eastern Promises" Viggo:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Gruff_Old_Bear/BBoard%20Pix/viggo_easternpromises_1A.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/Gruff_Old_Bear/BBoard%20Pix/viggo_easternpromises_5A.jpg

Erick Sosa has done work for Sideshow in the past. :D

pixletwin
10-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah that Sosa sculpt is viggo. :rock

FlyAndFight
10-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I had my SS Aragorn repainted and I'm ecstatic with how it looked afterwards.

That Sosa sculpt is nice. I'm anxious to see his version of Aragorn. It will have to be mind-blowing in order for me to get it, though.