How many hope they go all out on the 1/6 droids?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinLuck

Super Freak
Reaction score
Out of all the SW characters, there are a select few core characters that I would really like quality representations of in 1/6 scale, and two of them are definitely the droids. These are figures that I would gladly pay additional sums for high-end materials and design. One of the features that I think is as integral as Chewie having fur is giving the droids light up features. C-3PO just won't look himself with painted eyes. The same principle for R2. (same goes for Jawas for that matter)

After seeing what Hot Toys is doing with Iron Man (although we really can't comment until it is released) I think it is possible to do these figures justice with lights. R2 would need to have different colored lights and still be able to rotate at the dome. R2 is one figure I also wouldn't mind a sound feature. For 3PO's torso, I hope they are able to simulate wires on his mid-drift rather than just a plastic plate with them painted on. What else would you like to see with this too characters?

521134646_ffff2162e1.jpg

After reading the new Ask Sideshow, we won't know in 2009:

Q: Are there any plans to make 1:6 scale Star Wars Droids, since you did the Life-Size ones?

A: We are looking at the Droids for possible inclusion in one of our lines, beyond Life-Size. We’re not ready to make promises, but it is something we’re looking at. Star Wars 12-inch in 2009 is definitely more focused on the armored side of Star Wars.

So I guess we'll have to wait until 2010 or later. :( As for lights, at this point, I could really care less (although I guess it would also depend on the price). I just want some good 1:6 droids to replace the Hasbros I've got now.

Personally I have always considered electronics to be gimics and something for cheap Chinese flea market toys. Give me durability first.

Lights can be a gimmick when you see them in toys at the dollar store. I'm talking about figure displays that cost in the triple figure range. Imagine a C-3PO that costs at least as much as Iron Man or maybe more. Not for the sake of being expensive, but for putting that additional money towards quality parts and engineering.

Lights can be a gimmick when you see them in toys at the dollar store. I'm talking about figure displays that cost in the triple figure range. Imagine a C-3PO that costs at least as much as Iron Man or maybe more. Not for the sake of being expensive, but for putting that additional money towards quality parts and engineering.

I used to like Yo-Yos. I had an awesome Duncan that cost $10 or so. Never wore out, was awesome.

I also had a light up one that cost $10. It sucked ass.

I think 100% of whatever the cost is going towards a solid sculpt, articulation and paint will make a better R2 and C3PO than something where 75% goes to that and 25% goes to electronics (R&D and execution).

Yeah, a full-out, balls to the wall set of droids would be awesome!

And go one further... give me a tiny Kenny Baker inside of R2 and a face plate reveal of Anthony Daniels :rock This is one I think would be great if HT were able to tackle :rock

Light-up features... moving dome... a collector craves not these things... well, not forcibly.
The list of collectibles with light-up feature I already have is quite long. Fortunately, nearly all of them are still in their box, 'cause I hate to switch all of them "on and off" at appropriate and inappropriate times...
1:1 wolf mask, 1:1 endo head, HT endoskelleton BD & regular, HT Alien Kane, HT Alien Dallas, HT Power Loader, SIM, Xmen VS dio #1, Xmen VS dio #2, Darth Sidious Holo Chair, ... Soon there'll be the three HT IM's... that's a lot of switching on and off to do... . It would be great if someone would come up with a feature to turn all of these on and of with one flick of a switch.
Light up features are nice, but not necessary. I'll be more than happy with an inexpensive screen accurate 12" representation of R2-D2 and C-3PO.
On the other hand, SSC should have implied lights to the Han slab for the $200 they are asking.

I think they will go all out. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have ht help out in the process of making them.

Out of all the SW characters, there are a select few core characters that I would really like quality representations of in 1/6 scale, and two of them are definitely the droids...
[/IMG]

I agree 100%.

The droids and more specifically C-3PO, need the light features. Nothing gimicky here. An unlit eyed 3-PO would look like he's gone and "shut down for a while"...

R2 needn't have "blinking" lights (though that would be cool) but at least the major "lights" should be set up.

What an amazing display they would be! :rock

Out of all the SW characters, there are a select few core characters that I would really like quality representations of in 1/6 scale, and two of them are definitely the droids. These are figures that I would gladly pay additional sums for high-end materials and design. One of the features that I think is as integral as Chewie having fur is giving the droids light up features. C-3PO just won't look himself with painted eyes. The same principle for R2. (same goes for Jawas for that matter)

Hopefully, they'll just let Hot Toys do it...then they'll get it right.:rolleyes:

Yeah, a full-out, balls to the wall set of droids would be awesome!

And go one further... give me a tiny Kenny Baker inside of R2 and a face plate reveal of Anthony Daniels :rock This is one I think would be great if HT were able to tackle :rock

You seriously think LFL would approve "reveal" figures? If that were the case, Jabba should'a come with 7 midgets... or was it 5? :lol

I was 6 or so when the Kenner figures first started hitting shelves, and the first figure I bought was C-3PO...forget the humans or aliens. My eyes were drawn to the coolest character in the movie - the android!

So, I would definitely want an 'all out' droid set

Last edited:
I imagine the issue of lights is another reason that these have been put off for so long (another being that they require unique molds, rather than the reused bodies that Sideshow generally uses for the 1/6 figures). But I gotta say, if Hasbro can make a 3.75" R2-D2 that lights up and makes noises, I would hope that Sideshow could do something pretty nice with a 12" figure. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the droids, to the extent that I'm considering concentrating largely on C-3PO and R2-D2 related stuff, so I'm definitely hopeful that they will go all out.

I imagine the issue of lights is another reason that these have been put off for so long (another being that they require unique molds, rather than the reused bodies that Sideshow generally uses for the 1/6 figures). But I gotta say, if Hasbro can make a 3.75" R2-D2 that lights up and makes noises, I would hope that Sideshow could do something pretty nice with a 12" figure. I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the droids, to the extent that I'm considering concentrating largely on C-3PO and R2-D2 related stuff, so I'm definitely hopeful that they will go all out.

A lot of people collect droids, and I'm sure they could reuse both these moulds, especially the R2 - just look at the EE 3 3/4" sets. Even C3PO has TC14, K3PO, and numerous others to make variations of, not to mention 'shiny C3PO', 'sandy C3PO' etc.

You seriously think LFL would approve "reveal" figures? If that were the case, Jabba should'a come with 7 midgets... or was it 5? :lol

That would be awesome, especially if they included the one who smoked the pipe and blew the smoke out of Jabba's mouth. :lol

As for this topic, electronics are a MUST on these... especially C-3P0. Him without light-up eyes would be a Medicom move.

A lot of people collect droids, and I'm sure they could reuse both these moulds, especially the R2 - just look at the EE 3 3/4" sets. Even C3PO has TC14, K3PO, and numerous others to make variations of, not to mention 'shiny C3PO', 'sandy C3PO' etc.

Sure, I'm not saying that making the molds would be a bad idea because they could only be used for one figure. There are a number of possibilities, although I don't see Sideshow putting out quite as many repaints as Hasbro.

But they do seem to put off doing anything that requires engineering a new body. Look how long it took to get to Vader, for example. It's easier and more profitable to put out lots of Jedi, for example.

By the way, I think the idea of a "reveal" figure with Anthony Daniels or Kenny Baker would be a cool stand-alone art piece, but it wouldn't fit in with the current line.

Back