Are these Box sets the same thing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDboystoys

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi I didnt know where to post this but I wanna know are these two Buffy(seasons 1-7) box sets the same? one is from UK amazon the other US.

Buffy Chosen Collection- US Amazon

Complete Buffy Collectors Edition Box Set.- UK Amazon

They look like they have different special features and one Chosen collection has an extra DVD with features whereas the other has special features and a letter from Joss.

Are they the same? or which is better?

AND heres the Angel complete collection.

ANGEL complete collection

heres the awesome box!

B000AAF9QU.02.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

202-9209345-8964653

buffy

As I understand it the UK version is in letterbox format while the US version is in the standard US TV format. This was Joss's choice, in a letter he posted online he said he filmed it for the US TV format and that's how it should be viewed. I'm not sure why the European version is in letterbox format, perhaps that is some kind of regulatory requirement.
I also believe that the 40th "extras" disc only comes with the US version. These "extras" are new. All the other "extras" that were on the Seasons 1 through 7 DVD sets will still be on the full series US version DVDs. And there's the letter that is (machine) signed by Joss in the set as well, not hand-signed. No inside info on my part, that's just what I've gleaned reading other posts.

I thought the Joss letter was for the UK one only. What do you mean by letterbox format? Is it widescreen? I thought that's better than normal.

So let me get this straight though! Theres the Buffy US version called the "Buffy Chosen Collection" the UK is the "BTVS Complete DVD collection"
Both versions are the same but the US version has one extra disc. Not sure about which has the letter though. Since theres a UK Angel Collection should I assume there'll be a US Angel Collection?

And now to the packaging. The UK Angel has an awesome flip box kinda thing. So I'm guessing the UK Buffy might have the same?
WILL the US Buffy Chosen collection have this packaging? or a boring box with with DVDs inside it? Im assuming there'll be an US Angel version the same as the US Chosen collection.

Sorry! Just want to clear this up for myself and get some more answers!

I have a couple of seasons of angle on dvd & I live in the UK. I can confirm that they are anamorphic widescreen except the 1st season which is fullscreen

the quality would be just as good wouldnt it? But apparently Joss says its not and should be watched in the standard format?

depends on what kinda TV you got...........personally I think there's nothing worse than watching fullscreen on a widescreen TV. You either have a picture that is stretched to fit the screen or zoomed in to fit the widescreen or you have giant black bars down the sides.

Just to clarify - Buffy is intended to be 4x3(fullscreen) and Angel was shot and intended to be 16x9 (letterboxed/widescreen).

And it looks like the UK gets cooler packaging than we do, but then we get more extras it seems.

So how did they get the widescreen version of the TV series? did they film the series with widescreen lenses and trim the sides for broadcast, or did they cut the top and bottom off of the full screen versions? :horror
I like widescreen movies because that's the way they were intended to be viewed in cinemas, but it makes sense that full screen is the way TV shows are supposed to have been seen since most of the shows were filmed when TV was mostly full screen.

Edit: Never mind, Dave answered before I posted.

For Buffy in the UK I beleive they are showing what is sometimes referred to as "matte removed" and it shows more stuff on the sides, but that could be stuff you aren't supposed to see, like crewmen, etc. Joss has said that Buffy was always composed for 4x3 (except OMWF of course).

ok, so would it make sense to get the UK Angel be cause its in the right format(and the packaging is wicked) and the US buffy one because its standard? They dont have anypics of the US buffy one. Does anyone know what the packaging will be like? So cool if it were like UK Angels

Should I assume US Amazon will bring out an Angel set with Standard format soon? I'll prob get the UK one anyway.

nice! Do you know how it will open?Will be like Angels or just a box with the seven seasons in in separate DVD cases. Im def gonna get the UK Angel unless US amazon does somthing really nice and prob Chosen Buffy set.

What about u guys/girls?

Here's the skinny on the Region One box:

The Chosen Collection

The previously released R1 Angel season sets were all 16x9, since that's the way they were filmed and broadcast in the US. If there is a R1 Angel complete collection, no doubt it will follow suit.

bffy_pf.gif

YES! Its the same design for the box!!!! Im really happy now. That means They'll both look the same.
Actually since the US Angel box set will likely have the same design, I'll wait for that one and give the UK Angel a miss.

What do you think they'll call the US Angel set? Buffy is the "chosen" collection from the series finale so maybe the "Not Fade Away" collection? Na I dont think so...

thanks everyone for clearing it all up!

BDboystoys said:
What do you think they'll call the US Angel set? Buffy is the "chosen" collection from the series finale so maybe the "Not Fade Away" collection? Na I dont think so...
If I were a Fox marketing toady, I'd suggest, "Angel: The Complete Spin-off Collection."

anyk_bnnr.jpg

Hi all,

I too am very interested in getting this box-set.
However does anyone know whether the UK version shown above is un-edited?.
The reason I ask is when Buffy is shown here on TV it is usually cut to pieces and censored, whereas when I got the episodes from another source for the US version, it shows everything.

For a quick example:
In one of the final episodes when Buffy, the potentials etc got into the Vinyard for the 1st time.Several potentials are killed and Xander has his eye squished by Caleb.

When it aired here, most of that was cut out. :banghead

My point being, does the UK version show the aired episides or as it should be in all its glory?
This way I will know which one to buy.

Many thanks for your help.

shell
x :D

The picture shown above(the box set that is red and white) is of the US one from amazon. I dont think anything would be cut, mayb someone else would know.
US set has better features too, had an extra disc and book. Im getting the US one.

I may be wrong, but I think the UK Buffy was cut because of the hour it aired. I'm sure the DVDs will be uncut.

umm check the uk site again because the pick for the buffy set looks like the box for the angel boxed set
B0002UUO86.jpg

this is cool, but unfortunate because i already have buffy seasons 1-6. there is supposed to be an extra disc with special features right?? on top of the stuff from the already released sets?? if so i might be putting my buffy dvds on ebay and picking up one of the complete collection sets

Back