Indiana Jones Mine Cart Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls712

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here is a project I put together a number of years ago... it is still not 100% complete... needs a bit of touching up.

When we bought our house approx. six years ago, I was able to convince my wife that I should use half of the basement to create displays and dioramas for my 1/6 scale action figures... little did she know what she was in for.

-

One of my all-time favorite movie scenes is the mine cart chase in Temple of Doom. The first custom item I built in the new house was a mine cart for my custom Indiana Jones... that eventually evolved into a full diorama.

This display sits at one end of the "toy room". Basement ceilings are 9 feet tall. The display is built in to the wall/ceiling, above other built-in displays.

Overall dimensions of the mine cart diorama:
Height: 21 inches
Depth: 12-18 inches (varies)
Length: 14 feet, 8 inches

Construction:
Mine Cart: PVC pipe, styrene sheets, strips, rods and other plastic bits

Mine Cart Wheels: wheels from an old furniture moving device, re-worked

Rocks: sheets of foam insulation, glued together / shaped with various tools / covered in glue and sand, then painted

Track: metal rails liberated from a large-scale toy train set - rails removed from the plastic track that they came with, then bent to shape - wooden track and track supports built to support the bent rails

Lights: lit from underneath by red and white rope lights that slowly change intensity... gives it a cool "flowing lava" feel in person

-

For all of you purists, I know that Indy didn't have his jacket on in this scene in the movie, and so far I don't have a Short Round or Willie Scott to go along for the ride... maybe someday we will see these characters from Sideshow.

Diorama? I have a desk and chaulkboard-that's a diorama. What you have is a minature for a movie set.:lol. Awsome work man.

That -- is -- frickin' -- INSANE!

In a good way! :rock

Awesome set-up!

You should make it go all the way around the room like one of those trains in FAO Schwarz.

Wow, simply brilliant attention to detail and scale DLS. You and Dunedin should contact each other and trade secrets.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Long time (mostly) lurker... finally decided to post some of my own stuff after seeing some of the recent (very cool!) offerings by a number of folks here.

I have many more projects in the works.... most are in-progress.

Thanks again-
Dennis

That is one hell of a set up... I'd also love to see more angles and perhaps just straight photos without the lighting effects so we can see some of the construction of it..

Back