R2 D2 Premium Format Figure ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterside

Super Freak
Reaction score
090102105045700096.jpg

Picture found on a video presentation of Star Wars Premium Format Figure. :banana

Where was this video found? If that is a prototype for an R2-D2 PF, then I would be all over it, as well as alot of others I'm sure. I wonder though if R2 would make sense in PF format. There wouldn't be any clothing of any sort, so I'm curious what would be mixed media about it, besides maybe plastic and metal. Definitely color me interested to see if it turns into something.

It could be the Hasbro Interactive R2-D2...

Yeah I guess it could be any number of R2 figures. I'm honestly amazed though that an R2 or C-3PO PF haven't been done yet. And I would be even more amazed if they weren't done at all.

It seems the top shelf has 1/6 figures and the middle one maybe PF's. R2-D2 is on the lower shelf and is much bigger than any of the other figures on the shelves...

Yeah now that I think about it, R2 would have to be a fair amount smaller than a human PF, and in that picture he does look bigger or at least similar in size. Oh well, maybe this is shot down before it even picked up any steam. Still not completely sure though and I still think an R2 and 3PO PF should be made, along with alot of others that I won't go through the hassle of naming. :lol

I'm gonna say its not the R2D2 SSC 1/4 piece. First off from the look of the video, not sure but it looks as if they are going over the Darth Vader PF which was one of the first ones released so I doubt that R2D2 was retooled back then. Second, R2 is 960 MM (3'2") 38 inches...which in 1/4 would make the piece only 9.5 inches. Above it is the Dracula PF and it look absolutely huge in visual comparison. Third, I seriously doubt that R2 would be offered alone as such a small height and if offered in 1/4 would be probably offered in tandem with Threepio. Lastly, there is no mixed media really on him so he'd not be a PF but probably a maquette.

Bubble bursted.

I'd have to agree with you Mike, but I would gladly take a R2 and 3PO Maquette, either one with them together or separate pieces. Although I still think a PF could be made if they combined the two of them and sold it as one piece.

but grievous pf is made on Resine and metal is conceived there and it is likened as a pf . ( sorry for my english, i'm french)

but grievous pf is made on Resine and metal is conceived there and it is likened as a pf . ( sorry for my english, i'm french)

Don't worry about your english masterside, it's fine. I think a PF could be made of them, but I think it would be best if they put them together as one piece.

totally agree with you , and i predict that will be the anoucement of the next toy fair in february , sideshow know that two characters are very important for the premium format figure line and for collector of course.

Exactly, I think these characters are just too iconic for Sideshow not to do them. But then again who knows what they have up their sleeves over there. We all just have to wait and see.

is this a new video? If so I think you guys will have your R2....

I agree the size doesn't look right for R2. But add me to the list of people who really hope they do an R2 and 3PO together in PF. Like Masterside pointed out Grievous is poly and metal and I'm sure 3PO will have some rubber wires in his torso. At least I hope so.

I agree the size doesn't look right for R2. But add me to the list of people who really hope they do an R2 and 3PO together in PF. Like Masterside pointed out Grievous is poly and metal and I'm sure 3PO will have some rubber wires in his torso. At least I hope so.

I'd really rather they do seperate PFs for R2 and 3PO. I don't want or need to pay for a 3PO. I think if Koto would have sold the 2 seperately they would have sold more.

Didn't they kinda hint at this in the new "Ask Sideshow?"

Are there any plans to make 1:6 scale Star Wars Droids, since you did the Life-Size ones?

We are looking at the Droids for possible inclusion in one of our lines, beyond Life-Size. We’re not ready to make promises, but it is something we’re looking at. Star Wars 12-inch in 2009 is definitely more focused on the armored side of Star Wars.

The lack of a "yes" tells me two things. They won't be appearing in the 1:6 line this year which either means a dio, or PF which is the most likely. R2 would fit right in the mixed media description of the PF line with resin, metal and plastic construction and light-up goodies.

Last edited:
Didn't they kinda hint at this in the new "Ask Sideshow?"

The lack of a "yes" tells me two things. They won't be appearing in the 1:6 line this year which either means a dio, or PF which is the most likely. R2 would fit right in the mixed media description of the PF line with resin, metal and plastic construction and light-up goodies.

Just because they won't be appearing in the 12" line isn't an indicator that they will be appearing in some other line. They haven't up until now, after all.

As for the R2 in the video, it really does look like the interactive R2. I just got one not long ago, and it seems like the right size. As others have pointed out, a real 1/4 scale R2 would be much much smaller.

I'd really rather they do seperate PFs for R2 and 3PO. I don't want or need to pay for a 3PO. I think if Koto would have sold the 2 seperately they would have sold more.

I'd be okay with them doing that, but I hope they have a base that both can sit on. Although I would prefer the bases to be interlocking, as opposed to a seperate base you have to buy like the Frankenstein and Bride.

Back