Superman Returns; the most underated superhero movie in a while?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this movie is underated?

• yes

Votes: 72 45.0%
  • no

Votes: 88 55.0%

• Total voters

Ven

Super Freak
Reaction score
always thought this movie had alot of heart, and very human iMHO. what do you guys think? I saw hancock the other day and thought it was terrible..

It is far better than that POS Hancock movie.

Even though it is a rehash of Superman: The Movie plot, I think it is a good movie. The Superman beatdown was a bit brutal for the movie though.

I thought it was an Ok movie but I think it could have been way better. Superman didn't throw even one punch in the movie.

I liked it a lot, not love it but like it. Certain scenes really got me excited and it's still a well told story. My only gripe is Singer kind of forget that Superman is also fun. I never got the sense of "awe" that Superman 1 $ 2 still give me. All that aside, I still want Singer to return and do a sequel. He's very talented and I think will listen and add the fun back to Superman.

I really disliked the film myself. It didn't seem to know whether or not it was supposed to be a sequel or a remake. It ended up being both, which seriously hurt it. Seeing Luthor yet again didn't help.

The land development scheme initially drew a big yawn from me, but today I think that the motivation behind it was solely a concealed plot to kill Superman. If this was indeed Luthor's real plan, I wish Singer made it more obvious (instead of something that you have to think about later). Fixing just this one part of the film, for me, would elevate it to watchable. Right now, I can't recommend it. I may watch it again, some day, to see if my theory holds. If so, maybe I'll like it then.

I do think this movie is underrated, its very similar to the old films and i think it was intended to be this way with a twist to it, compared to say Michael Bay's Transformers..i would go with Superman Returns..Transformers is a disgustingly overrated movie because even the stereotypical "cool kids" liked Transformers because i think the movie was more dumbed down then the cartoon..i can't stand the acting in Transformers except Shia Lebouf because he is a good actor but, the rest was garbage...IMO..not the fight scences though...annndd! the scene where Bernie Mac says he is going to bust that womans head with a rock lol.

"Hey MAMI! Ahh don't be like that if had a rock I'd bust your head ^^^^^!"

It was a missed opportunity IMHO. Routh was perfectly casted but Singer has such a hard on for putting his film into Donner's universe that it threw the whole thing out of whack. It would have been more interesting to see what new could have come from it even without the need of an origin story.

I thought the movie was horrible. :(

Trying to tie it into the earlier films was a mistake.

The best thing WB could have done was restart the whole franchise like they did with Batman Begins.

Routh made a good Superman but the rest of the cast was mediocre at best. Spacey was just boring.

I don't know if I'd say underrated. It's a good, not great film imo, but I do think a lot of people give it a harder time than it deserves. At times it's very touching and haunting and beautiful, and keeps Superman as the big blue boy scout that he should be instead of the badass punching machine that a lot of fanboys seem to want him to be. The plane rescue has you cheering right along with the crowd in the baseball stadium. That's Superman done right.

On the other hand, bringing a kid into the mix and having Lex Luthor as the villain again (we'd already seen him in 3 of the 4 previous movies, and Spacey was lifeless compared to Hackman's charmingly despicable portrayal) were a big drawback. Kate Bosworth didn't have the fire necessary for Lois Lane and the Kryptonite island plot was pretty lame.

It was a love letter to the Donner films, and in that respect it succeeds, but it should've been more.

Its too difficult really to talk about the film itself because at its core it was a simple telling of Donner's Superman story just moved forward in time. It was like after Superman II they just felt like telling Superman I over again. I can't really give Singer too much credit because the only original thing was the Superman Kid which I hated.

Back