Disney says NO to more Narnia :(

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giant Chicken

Super Freak
Reaction score
Disney Pulls Out of Third Narnia Film
Source: The Hollywood Reporter December 24, 2008

Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media have confirmed that for budgetary and logistical reasons the Burbank-based studio is not exercising its option to co-produce and co-finance The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with Walden.

The Hollywood Reporter says the third installment was in preproduction and set for a spring shoot for a planned May 2010 release. The development puts the participation of the talent attached in doubt, adds the trade. Michael Apted was on board to direct a script by Steven Knight. The key players of the second installment, "Prince Caspian" -- Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell -- were to return for the third film.

Walden has a strong relationship with the C.S. Lewis estate and will shop "Treader" in hopes of finding a new partner. The most likely candidate at this stage is Fox, which markets and distributes Walden fare under the Fox Walden banner.

Any partnership on a "Narnia" movie will require a substantial investment, however. "Caspian," which filmed in the Czech Republic, Mexico and New Zealand, cost $200 million. The first film, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," was shot mostly in New Zealand for $180 million.

Very bummed about this news. I really enjoyed the two Narnia movies. I think Prince Caspian should have been released during the holidays. It simply was forgotten about due to Indian Jones, Iron Man, Batman, Wall-E, and the Panda flick. I hope that Walden can find a new partner and atleast make the third movie. Though I would still love to see all of them made.

Aw, my parents would be sad. They liked the BBC versions but they had only done four of the books so we were hoping they'd be able to get through all of them with this series.

Very bummed about this news. I really enjoyed the two Narnia movies. I think Prince Caspian should have been released during the holidays. It simply was forgotten about due to Indian Jones, Iron Man, Batman, Wall-E, and the Panda flick. I hope that Walden can find a new partner and atleast make the third movie. Though I would still love to see all of them made.

If the movies were successful, then I'm sure someone will pick it up.

I enjoyed Caspian more than the first - but I'm not terribly bummed about them not continuing. Walden has some smart management though - they won't move forward without the right partner(s) in place. However I can see them making the effort - these are the biggest projects they've ever taken on.

I am glad Disney is out of the picture. Hopefully a backer will step up soon.

that franchise was crap IMO.Sorry to the fans.

I loved the Narnia tv series as a kid,and that is the reason i enjoyed these 2 movies,either you love Narnia,or you hate it.Remember that it is a movie for the kids,so you gotta have an open mind to watch them.

Sad that Walt Disney pulled out now,so sad:(

That's surprising. These films were pretty successful, internationally.

It is surprising. Just glancing at the numbers at boxofficemojo.com, it looks like both movies mad a ^^^^-ton of money. Since it's Disney, maybe it got ^^^^-canned because of poor merchandising sales?

It is surprising. Just glancing at the numbers at boxofficemojo.com, it looks like both movies mad a ^^^^-ton of money. Since it's Disney, maybe it got ^^^^-canned because of poor merchandising sales?

But the 2nd one made a lot LESS money. In this day of DVDs generating a new life for films, the sequel is supposed to do better box office than the original (ala PotC and TDK). So they aren't willing to take the risk that a 3rd film will continue the decline.

Yeah, the second one made like half as much as the first one. They really screwed it over by releasing it during the summer blockbuster season. Especially since Star Trek and Harry Potter got delayed out of the Christmas season they would have made much more if they released it in November-December.

I hope someone pics it up. I'm not the biggest fan but these are films that I can put in anytime with the kids. I want it to continue.

Biggest problem I have with these films are the weak battles. Not a drop of blood, and I'm sure we have Disney to blame for that. So, Disney out of the picture could be good news if someone else picks it up.

Biggest problem I have with these films are the weak battles. Not a drop of blood, and I'm sure we have Disney to blame for that. So, Disney out of the picture could be good news if someone else picks it up.

Need to remember that these are adaptions from a christian authur so they arn't going to be all gory and bloody. Im disapointed because It's not a lot of films I can take my kids to that I don't mind sitting thru my self. More and more films that aren't cartoons just aren't suitable for children- so im sad to see these go. :(

I enjoyed Caspian more than the first - but I'm not terribly bummed about them not continuing. Walden has some smart management though - they won't move forward without the right partner(s) in place. However I can see them making the effort - these are the biggest projects they've ever taken on.

Ditto. I thought Prince Caspian was excellent, very action packed over before I knew it. without the original movie house, I don't see the third being made, or if it is, being as good though.

Back