PDA

View Full Version : What Cobra troop builder do you want next?

Khev
12-23-2008, 01:34 PM
While I don't think we'll see another Cobra troop builder for another year given the release schedule which one do you hope they announce next?

Crimson Guard:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/85/images/cg34front.jpg

Eel:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/85/images/eels34front.jpg

Snow Serpent:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/85/images/serpent34triplefront.jpg

Tele-Viper:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/85/images/tele34triplefront.jpg

Viper:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/86/images/vipers36slaughterfront.jpg

B.A.T.:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/86/images/bats36slaughterfront.jpg

Techno-Viper:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/87/images/techno34front.jpg

Iron Grenadier:

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/88/images/iron34front.jpg

Alley Viper:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/89/89card/alleyviper-1.jpg

creature4000
12-23-2008, 01:44 PM
No Night Viper???? :(

I voted Snow serpent!
But I'd rather have the Night Viper!!!!!

King Darkness
12-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I WOULD LOVE SOME B.A.T FIGURES!!!!! If Hot Toys made them.

That said I voted Crimson Guard :rock :rock :rock :rock

ProgMatinee
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope the next several figures are non generic. Maybe in 2 years I'll take a Crimson guard, frogman or something, but even those I don't know if I'd consider it an army builder like the cobra troops.

EVILFACE
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Tele-Viper

DPrime
12-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Although not necessarily my favourite of the classic '80s RAH army-builders, I think the Eel could potentially be the coolest 12" figure.

Think classic Eels design, but in addition to all the original diving gear, more Navy SEALs type stuff. That'd be one wicked Cobra 12" figure. You could probably do some pretty cool stuff with the Viper, Televiper and Snow Serpent as well though.

Crimson Guard and BAT, not so much. I'd still buy them but I think you could do a lot more interesting "real-world" inspired stuff with the other figures I mentioned above.

I agree with ProgMatinee though - too soon! Give us the core individual characters first.

Patient Zero
12-23-2008, 06:09 PM
B.A.T.S. people! removable hands for different weapons! :monkey5

bluesparrow
12-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Alley Viper was my alltime favorite trooper as a kid. Garish uniform or not.

devilof76
12-24-2008, 04:36 AM
I want the Snow Serpent the most, but I want the Viper next. Build progressively toward the more complex troopers.

Actually, the Crimson Guard is simpler than the Viper. Oh well. Too late.

Cocoboloboy
12-24-2008, 06:20 AM
I WOULD LOVE SOME B.A.T FIGURES!!!!! If Hot Toys made them.

That said I voted Crimson Guard :rock :rock :rock :rock

Same here. HT B.A.T.S. would be awesome but I'd love to see SS make a Crimson Guard.

the angry orc
12-24-2008, 07:38 AM
viper or cg

Buttmunch
12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Crimson Guards, with BATs a close second.

DerMann
12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see 1/6th scale versions of the smaller RAH vehicles like the Cobra Trouble Bubble and FANG and the Joe RAM and Sky Hawk.

Buttmunch
12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see 1/6th scale versions of the smaller RAH vehicles like the Cobra Trouble Bubble and FANG and the Joe RAM and Sky Hawk.

No, no, no a USS FLAGG! :drool

thenammagazine
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I WOULD LOVE SOME B.A.T FIGURES!!!!!

I voted B.A.T. But so far, with few announcements, I'm taking the ba-humbug approach to this line. With all the unanswered 1:6 scale genre-ceasing rumors floating around the forums unanswered despite the presence of Sideshow personnel present, I'm seriously considering canceling my preorders.

There's no way in hell I'd buy a group of army builders, let alone any more than one figure of each until they flesh out the line more. The last thing I want to get stuck with is 5 Cobra Troopers, a Cobra Commander, to take on Snake Eyes and Duke because Sideshow bailed on the line after that...

Cryoguns
12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
BATs! BATs, BATs, BATs, BATs!!!!

:D

Crimson Guard is not a bad alternative, but I really would army build with the BATs.

Khev
12-24-2008, 10:27 PM
The last thing I want to get stuck with is 5 Cobra Troopers, a Cobra Commander, to take on Snake Eyes and Duke because Sideshow bailed on the line after that...

What's funny is that if Hot Toys had the license those are probably the only figures they WOULD make yet people would still be thrilled. SE and Duke against CC and some troopers would make a killer display. Sure I fully expect them to make more but really everything is gravy at this point. I never thought we'd have ANY high end Joe figures.

thenammagazine
12-25-2008, 03:42 AM
What's funny is that if Hot Toys had the license those are probably the only figures they WOULD make yet people would still be thrilled. SE and Duke against CC and some troopers would make a killer display. Sure I fully expect them to make more but really everything is gravy at this point. I never thought we'd have ANY high end Joe figures.

I'd still feel the same. And at the HT pricepoint, I'd most likely have passed all together. It'd be cheaper to bash them together as a custom on a TT than drop $170 on a HT Joe.

Killbeggar
12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Voted Crimson Guard.
But Snow Serpent and Iron Grenadier came close.

DPrime
12-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, I'm kind of surprised the CG has such a clear lead on this. It's one of my favourite RAH figures, but as a 12 incher accessories are pretty key, and I think they'd be kind of boring compared to what we'd get with a Viper, Eel, Snow Serpent or even a Televiper...

Prove me wrong? Other than a pistol, backpack and rifle, what could this guy come with?

The Dude
12-26-2008, 10:48 AM
techno-viper should come with glow sticks.

thenammagazine
12-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow, I'm kind of surprised the CG has such a clear lead on this. It's one of my favourite RAH figures, but as a 12 incher accessories are pretty key, and I think they'd be kind of boring compared to what we'd get with a Viper, Eel, Snow Serpent or even a Televiper...

Prove me wrong? Other than a pistol, backpack and rifle, what could this guy come with?

Aside from just the pistol rifle and backpack, SS could make the bayonet removable and include a working sheath, do a removable helmet or helmeted & non-helmeted headsculpts, a variety of flesh/gloved hands and also include the Mauser that the elite CG has.

firefly2121
12-26-2008, 03:59 PM
The AWESOME class of the Crimson Guards please....

However, I would settle for Viper, BATS or Snow Serpents...

karamazov80
12-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I initially thought Snow Serpent or Eel, but as I try to picture this figure in my mind, I now think a Siegie would be best. Plus, he would be most likely as a second figure release, I think. Let's just hope for a patch logo instead of an iron on decal, though.

Blackthornone
12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Crimson Guard, with bonus Armani suit, briefcase, and of course, a removable mask and helmet.

Bloodsport
12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
How about Croc Master, Firefly?

Blackthornone
12-26-2008, 05:34 PM
How about Croc Master, Firefly?

Those aren't troop builders. They are unique.

Bonehead15
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
B.A.T.

It's always been my favorite.

DPrime
12-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Aside from just the pistol rifle and backpack, SS could make the bayonet removable and include a working sheath, do a removable helmet or helmeted & non-helmeted headsculpts, a variety of flesh/gloved hands and also include the Mauser that the elite CG has.

Not bad, not bad... I'm guessing something like the "Fred" sculpt in the 25th line would be appropriate. I would hope they don't cheap out and give him something molded with the face partially hidden, as is apparently the case with the Cobra Trooper. I like the Mauser, it'd seem to suit the CG pretty well.

Crimson Guard, with bonus Armani suit, briefcase, and of course, a removable mask and helmet.

I don't know about the suit, but I like the idea of emphasizing the undercover aspects of the Crimson Guard.

Hmm, more and more I'm liking the idea. I'm sure if they make one, I'll pick it up.

thenammagazine
12-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Not bad, not bad... I'm guessing something like the "Fred" sculpt in the 25th line would be appropriate. I would hope they don't cheap out and give him something molded with the face partially hidden, as is apparently the case with the Cobra Trooper. I like the Mauser, it'd seem to suit the CG pretty well.

Even with the tree-hugger G.I. Joe "peace-out" Adventure Team I grew up with initially, we got a ton of accessories (except the appropriately hippieish 1:6 sack of doobage and roach clips). So hopefully the extensive accessories are a staple Sideshow continues. But now that you mention it, I can see them being "cost effective" :p and just going with a blonde repaint of the Cobra Trooper for a Crimson Guard. :( But if they go that route, Tomax and Xamot would be a welcome addition as well. Sadly, I just don't see the line going that far.

Bloodsport
12-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Those aren't troop builders. They are unique.

hmmm. I'll go with B.A.T. How awesome it would be. 3 Inter changable hands. A Back pack with unique weapons.

devilof76
12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Were Para-Vipers part of the 80's line? Or are they an invention of the 25th Anniversary line?

DPrime
12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
But if they go that route, Tomax and Xamot would be a welcome addition as well. Sadly, I just don't see the line going that far.

That'd be too bad if that ends up being the case, I'd happily take the Crimson Twins, especially if a Crimson Guard ends up being made. Of course I'd want Destro, the Baroness, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Firefly and at least a Viper first. Maybe even Dr. Mindbender and Major Bludd.

Were Para-Vipers part of the 80's line? Or are they an invention of the 25th Anniversary line?

Nah, they never existed in the original line. I was a little apprehensive about the Para-Viper as I didn't trust Hasbro's design team, but it turned out pretty good. It looks like it belongs in the 1987 Cobra line-up perfectly.

thenammagazine
12-29-2008, 11:56 PM
That'd be too bad if that ends up being the case, I'd happily take the Crimson Twins, especially if a Crimson Guard ends up being made. Of course I'd want Destro, the Baroness, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Firefly and at least a Viper first. Maybe even Dr. Mindbender and Major Bludd.

Storm Shadow has to be coming 4th or 5th. Firefly, Bludd and Destro would need to be in the pipeline as followups before even considering more troop builders like the Crimson Guard. If they go wonky with the 4th figure choice, I'll start having LOTR flashbacks and really begin to worry about the line's future. This would be a line where releasing all the main characters first (since there's so many of them) would be a wise business choice and save the rarer ones for the SDCCs, Spooks and ToyFair.

devilof76
01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Nah, they never existed in the original line. I was a little apprehensive about the Para-Viper as I didn't trust Hasbro's design team, but it turned out pretty good. It looks like it belongs in the 1987 Cobra line-up perfectly.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I got out in '86 though, so I didn't know if I just missed him.

I hope they get to that level of complexity with their troopers. It was a great idea by Hasbro and is a logical next step in the progression.

Were the Cobra Air Troopers 25th anniversary inventions too? Because I'd like to see them as well.

DPrime
01-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Were the Cobra Air Troopers 25th anniversary inventions too? Because I'd like to see them as well.

Sort of... the helmet design came from an old Marvel comic-book (according to Yojoe.com, #44), where Cobra Troopers were wearing gas-masks. Hasbro made a figure for them in 2006 as part of their vintage-style comic three-packs:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/06/cobratrooper4.shtml

As far as I know (because I don't have the original comic), adding a blue JUMP Jetpack is something the 25th Anniversary team came up with.

spazzy
01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Hopefully all of them will be available some day. But for now based on the figure that came out I really enjoyed the Snow Serpent. Then Eel and Crimson Guard, BAT, Viper

bumblebee
01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Crimson Guard

EVILFACE
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I'd take em all, but don't really care for the Alley-Viper.

devilof76
01-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't like the Techno-Viper or the BAT either. All the others are great though.

DPrime
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd take em all, but don't really care for the Alley-Viper.

Yeah, I'm not sure Alley Viper's colours would translate well into a more realistic 12" figure.

thenammagazine
01-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure Alley Viper's colours would translate well into a more realistic 12" figure.

What's wrong with Hunter's Orange?! :lol The Alley Viper's cammo reminds me of a scene from Good Morning Vietnam:

"We've got a special man in the audience today right now. It's Mr. Leo. He's a fashion consultant."

"Thank you, I'm just very happy to be here. I want to tell you something."

"What's that?"

"You know, this whole camouflage thing, for me, doesn't work really well."

"Why is that?"

"Because if you go in the jungle, I can't see you. You know, it's like wearing stripes and plaid. For me, I want to do something different. You go in the jungle, make a statement. If you're going to fight, CLASH! You know what I mean?"

The bright side is the repaint which was navy blue (in place of orange) and silver (in place of the blue). That's more feasible.