DC 13 Black Canary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
No thread on her yet?

I didn't think she looked that great when solicited, but I just got her and have to say she's pretty decent. Andy did a great job with both heads, the calm one looks really good on the box shot. I think I prefer the Canary Cry one though. She comes with 2 masks that are exactly alike, but since she has 2 heads, I guess that makes sense. But when was the last time Dinah wore a mask? If ever?

The hands really show how tiny they are since her sleeves don't come to her wrists. And they gave her a Power Girl sized chest, makes sense considering her power - but looks a tad oversized. Overall she's not the most exciting DCD13, but I'm glad I have her - will go well with GA.

Any pics?

I have four of these, and I love checking out the new installments even though I don't always bite.

Still waiting for WW to pop up.

Oh yeah, thats right! I too can't believe they haven't done Wondy yet. Guess they really want to make her a good as possible. I'm surprised she didn't come right after Batman and Superman. She completes the big three afterall.

I'd hope Andy sculpts her.

Yeah, and as good as Sgt. Rock looks I hope they take all the time they need for WW...because they seem to be getting better with each release.

If you look back at Two-Face, they've come a long way.

There's not enough love for the DCD 13" line on these boards - I freakin love em! Might get Black Canary at some point but I'm not the biggest fan of hers. At the moment I'm just sticking to the Justice League and Batman's rogue gallery but I'm not opposed to diversifying if I can find a DCD 13" for a nice price.

icon_worthless.gif

The figures okay. Headsculpts are nice, costuming is also alright, and rates pretty high compared with all DCD 13 inch figures, but the huge body and breasts don't feel very Black Canary to me. They need to rethink the base figure body. They won't, but they should. I don't collect the complete series anymore because of this. Just the characters I feel like I just have to. Hoping for Hot Toys comic versions of DC characters someday. You never know, it might happen.
Concerning the masks, I want to say at some point Golden Age BC wore a mask, but I can't find any evidence at the moment that's correct. Maybe the mask is included because of "Smallville" Black Canary? Possibly Frank Millers "All Star Batman & Robin" version? No idea. Just guessing that's possible with DC's love for cross promotion. Anyway, you don't have to use them.

I have two from this line, with Green Arrow on the way; I got a great price for one just recently! :archer The bendy hands and large scale are the two biggest problems. The scale won't be fixed but the hands are easy; they are what kept me from buying Green Arrow in the first place, and he's my fav DC character next to Supes. All that DC Direct has going for it is character selection. As posted earlier, if another company could get their hands on this license it could be a great thing.

There are a lot of problems with the DCD13 line, but I have all of them and they do look good displayed together. I'd be happy if they fixed the hand situation. It's inexcusable that a $90 Green Arrow doesn't come with hands that can easily hold his bow.

It's inexcusable that a $90 Green Arrow doesn't come with hands that can easily hold his bow.

Abso-freakin-lutely. I waited most of the year to find an unopened GA below market price before I would buy one. I have seen some good attempts at posing in a firing stance online though. If only he had sculpted hands like the Robin figure.:banghead

Green Arrows hands are the biggest pain, took me forever to get his bow to look good. Although I will say because of the bendy hands I was able to have him about to fire two arrows and I don't know if I'd be able to do that with sculpted hands.

As for Black Canary, I'm tempted to get her since I have GA, but I know nothing about her. But then I was also tempted to get Superman just to go with Batman so I guess that's just the kind of collector I am.

I hope they make a modern Robin soon.

Took some pix of Black Canary here.

OMG! Her Juggs are ENOURMOUS! Like old fat Gramma jugs. My 12th grade english teacher had a rack like that. Where it sat depended upon how high or low she fastened her belt each day. :rotfl Yeah, Dave is right, DCD desperately needs to rethink their bodies. He's also right they won't. Gonna have to make my own custom BC one of these days, either with a Triad body or a HT female body coming next year. She also looks like Deborah Harry in the face, which I don't really care for.

Last edited:
If 13" is too big try this barbie figure, with a sideshow or BBI female body. Ive see the barbie black canart and it looks pretty good.

I experimented with the new barbie wonder woman on a sideshow female body and although you have to do some work, it came out looking great.
black-canary-barbie.jpg

Actually with the right pose and the right amount of futzing, Black Canary is one of the best figures released so far. The costuming is pretty good, but the headsculpt from Andy is just completely and utterly spectacular. Her face exudes power, beauty, grace, poise and confidence in a single neutral expression - amazing! Her face sculpt reminds me a little of Michelle Pfeifer, maybe her head goes well as a Catwoman custom! And Andy's also managed to make Canary's head and face (with that hair) bigger than the rest making her more proportionate with the too lanky 13" body.

And no with the right pose her boobs do not seem too big at all, no bigger than that of a standard superheroine anyways.

87f7e0d2.jpg

a8f953ad.jpg

Actually with the right pose and the right amount of futzing, Black Canary is one of the best figures released so far. The costuming is pretty good, but the headsculpt from Andy is just completely and utterly spectacular. Her face exudes power, beauty, grace, poise and confidence in a single neutral expression - amazing! Her face sculpt reminds me a little of Michelle Pfeifer, maybe her head goes well as a Catwoman custom! And Andy's also managed to make Canary's head and face (with that hair) bigger than the rest making her more proportionate with the too lanky 13" body.

And no with the right pose her boobs do not seem too big at all, no bigger than that of a standard superheroine anyways.

87f7e0d2.jpg

a8f953ad.jpg

Cool pics. I do agree that the more I pose her, the more she grows on me. I do think they should have gone with the Batgirl chest rather than the Catwoman/Power Girl chest though. And you nailed what's better about her - the head is in better proportion to the body than all the other females and most of the males.

While I will agree her head is in better proportion than a good 90% of the other DCD's, they all still seem like hulking monstrosities, IMHO. Just generally poor proportions all around. "Pinheads" galore. She would have looked much better with a smaller bustline than Power Girl. I guess I'm just not an "I can live with this" collector. If I had to make some kind of percentage range to represent what I feel like I can spend my money on, it would only be figures in the 90%+ range, and the DCD's as a whole sit somewhere around a 40%-50% score to me. If I just bought anything that was a character I liked, I would have all the DCD's, but it has to be a character I like, and excellent execution as well. DCD is just not excellent, merely okay. You just can't know how much I wish DCD had gotten it right from the get-go. :( It pure tortures me, because I feel like the chance for actual good DC character figures in this size range is dead, unless a Hot Toys movie tie-in occurs.

I agree with you Drizzle. DCD can do so much better, but the reason I keep buying them is that for me I consider these as modern mego equivalents with quirky toy-like qualities, so I'm a little less critical of their lack of realism (and I generally like their look out of the box). But still I do wish they get on the ball and fix the outstanding issues and without making the new improved ones incompatible with the older set. Like what Andy did with Canary's head-sculpt: the slightly bigger head and hair already make huge improvements in terms of proportions and I hope the sculptors continue doing this in the future. Please no more cut joints!!!!

Back