PDA

View Full Version : Chewbacca?

Memnoch
12-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok so seeing HT is now doing real hair on the Apes figures, I'm starting to bet this special relationship between HT and SS is going to lead to our real fur Chewbacca. SS has always said it would be real hair or nothing, Dusty said HT is doing the figures in association with SS .. I predict that by SDCC 2010 (really not that long away in the retail/production world) we may be looking at our real hair Chewbacca! Anyone else as excited as I am? :lol

PS - I did a search for recent chewie threads and noticed the search said "Searching Star Wars and child forums". Kinda funny. heh heh

King Darkness
12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Chewbacca will be reveled this year, mark my words:lecture

Memnoch
12-21-2008, 11:22 PM

Ya really think King? I dunno, for SDCC Im putting my money on a Fett or maybe 3PO. Chewie would be ^^^^^*in' fantastic but so soon?

Havok
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Personally I would prefer a Chewie PF, even if the fur is sculpted. But a 12" figure if done right and with real hair might be too good to pass up.

Memnoch
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Personally I would prefer a Chewie PF, even if the fur is sculpted. But a 12" figure if done right and with real hair might be too good to pass up.

Take a look at the Apes thread, that is hair done right. Im actually kind of shocked.

barryo
12-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I would love a real fur chewbacca..............of all 1/6th figures that need real hair verses sculpted this would be it. bring it HT !!!!

Batty
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM

Really? 2008? :monkey5

monkeydad16
12-21-2008, 11:42 PM
"Laugh it up, fuzzball..."

Mooncat
12-22-2008, 03:52 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/Pred%20bust/3POTA_GorillaSoldier.jpg

Memnoch
12-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Yes Virginia, there WILL be a Chewbacca figure. I have a feeling the Vader body will be modified and used for the walking carpet. As long as I get an ANH Version first, I really don't care.

Havok
12-22-2008, 04:06 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/Pred%20bust/3POTA_GorillaSoldier.jpg

If that's what you were talking about Memnoch, then that is hair done right. I probably wouldn't be able to pass up a Chewie if the hair looked like that.

Memnoch
12-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Exactly what I'm talking about. ANH Chewie should be a walk in the park. Now SS/HT make it happen! :lol

paulcarson
12-22-2008, 04:14 AM
I think we'll get a teaser before the end of the year !

Darth Cruel
12-22-2008, 04:45 AM

Can somebody point me in the direction of this thread?

Edit - N/M found it...search is your friend...and so is patience.

ProgMatinee
12-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Its one thing to get fur looking right for photography. Its another thing delivering it that way and keeping it that good.

This is going to be a collector's nightmare to keep it looking nice.

KitFisto
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Screw the 1:6. PF please.

Matt S
12-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I would be super happy with a 1:6 scale chewie this year. A 1:4 would be too large for my little collector room...!

I hope SS knows how important releasing a Chewie and droids are; the SS collecton is incomplete without them...!

abake
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
After seeing the Hot Toys POTA figures, I've no doubt they will at the very least help SST engineer the 1/6 Chewie.
Next year for sure.

JustinLuck
12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Hopefully Sideshow completely hands over the reigns for Chewie and the droids.

Matt S
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Hopefully Sideshow completely hands over the reigns for Chewie and the droids.

Fine by me.

Brinn 71
12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Fine by me.

DITTO! the prototype Apes look GREAT! No doubt they will look great in the final production version, but yes, LOTS of futzing with it to make it look great for your shelf.

AWESOME NEWS!!! :chew

EVILFACE
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Wonder if HT would use a Predator body for Chewy?

Memnoch
12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I would think, being a joint effort between them, use a modified Vader body (but probably not, as it needs to be thin). Either way I cannot wait to see it now that real hair IS possible in this scale. Wonder if this was given as a way to appease Ape fans and do a test run on mass produced hair in 1/6 scale.

King Darkness
12-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Really? 2008? :monkey5

No, smart ass, 2009 :mad:

Batty
12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6670/doodwhyugotabesomeanzw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

King Darkness
12-22-2008, 10:36 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/i-sorry.jpg

pixletwin
12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I can smell a wookie love for World Day 2009.

pixletwin
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
http://www.plasticbamboo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/hello-kitty-cat.jpg

UMRebel
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
OMG! Those "Apes" look great. I hope they are able to pull off a production piece that looks that good. At least it gives me hope that a real hair Chewy is possible in 1/6 scale. Now, I just hope that SS does the right thing and definitely involves Hot Toys in the Chewy process. As far as I'm concerned, they can take their time as long as Chewy is as perfect as possible.

Memnoch
12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I can smell a wookie love for World Day 2009.

AHEM LIFE Day. Wookie Life Day.

King Darkness
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I was kinda hoping for a Wookie Nude Day :naughty

I have no pants on right now :)

pixletwin
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
AHEM LIFE Day. Wookie Life Day.

Hey you can celebrate Life day, I will celebrate WORLD day. Goddamn wookies trying to impose their holidays on the rest of us. :cuss

:lol

Batty
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey you can celebrate Life day, I will celebrate WORLD day. Goddamn wookies trying to impose their holidays on the rest of us. :cuss

I don't care what it's called as long as Jefferson Starship isn't involved.

And put your pants back on, King. :monkey4

MaulFan
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Its one thing to get fur looking right for photography. Its another thing delivering it that way and keeping it that good.

This is going to be a collector's nightmare to keep it looking nice.

Agreed. Prototype's one thing, if they can keep this up in production is another. This and the new faux hair female military figure will be big tests as to how they come out in production, if it's success, a new era is upon us, but we have to wait and see.

King Darkness
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
And put your pants back on, King. :monkey4

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-dog-pictures-ashamed-dog-in-plant.jpg

Natrix
12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
It is one thing to put a little fur on a head sculpt and get it to look good.

I would think it is another thing altogether to be able to do a fully covered and fully articulated body, get it to look good and be able to take handling and posing without falling apart. I'm not saying it isn't possible but even if it works out, it is going to be a spendy figure.

Anzik
12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
If Chewie is coming can Wicket be far behind????:rolleyes:

galactiboy
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Man, after seeing the POTA figures a furred Chewie does seem more and more likely.

Mad Old Lu
12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Natrix brings up a good point. The POTA figure look great, but it's only the head that has hair. How difficult would it be to mass produce a hairy body? Or would it be a hairy outfit placed on the armored prometheus (like Darth)? Would it be too bulky? Would hair get in the joints or get caught in all his accessories? Would it shed like an Maine Coon cat?

MaulFan
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I think this is a sign of hope for Chewbacca in 1/6 with fur, but I don't think we'll see anything sooner than end of 2009.

As Natrix pointed out, it is only sculpted heads with fur at the moment. The method may not work for articulated body parts.

While I don't need amazing poseability out of a Chewbacca, I'd like it to at least be capable of battle poses like the classic promo photos.

Another issue of concern is the face. The Apes have full rubber faces with hair coming off it, the movies that is, Chewie had fur all over his head. How would they go about taming and control the fur around his eyes and mouth and nose is also important.

One step closer.

EVILFACE
12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Natrix brings up a good point. The POTA figure look great, but it's only the head that has hair. How difficult would it be to mass produce a hairy body? Or would it be a hairy outfit placed on the armored prometheus (like Darth)? Would it be too bulky? Would hair get in the joints or get caught in all his accessories? Would it shed like an Maine Coon cat?

Do you doubt Hot Toys??????

Mad Old Lu
12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Actually yes, I do doubt Hot Toys! I just got my first Hot Toys figure this weekend and the damn thing's wrist peg broke when I was putting the hand in! I was extremely careful and the tiny little thing just poofed off without any effort at all! So I'm a bit sour towards Hot Toys now!:mad:

So while they do make incredibly detailed and highly accurate pieces, they're not infallible, as I found pages of broken peg threads here.

I'm hoping they'll redeem themselves with the Iron Man I've got coming *fingers crossed*!

Cocoboloboy
12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Infallible? No. Almost though.:D If any company can do a 1:6 furred Chewie properly it'll be HT.

wookielovin
12-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Look at sideshow the new PRO body sucks it doesnt even stand. and the head flops around like a rag doo... If sideshow needs to do somthing they have to FIX there current body design because it sucks.

Wait till the flopping vaders and stormies roll in, i just bought there indy 12" and im pretty pissed it doesnt stand. or sit. or anyhthing it just lays there!.

Dally
12-22-2008, 01:40 PM

I imagine it would be a very thin layered suit covered in hair over the body. I think the Hell Boy figure Hot Toys is making has a thin layer over the body. A HT/SS collaboration on this figure is very likely. I was looking at the Stormtrooper and under its specs Hot Toys is listed as one of the artists, so they are doing something with SS.

EVILFACE
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
You always heat the hands. If you are using any pressure to put something on, you will break it.

Mad Old Lu
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
You better believe I'm gonna use a hairdryer every single time after this incident! All the other parts went in fine, so I didn't feel there was a need for it. But yep, I've used it on a couple of stubborn figures and I swear by the hairdryer!

MaulFan
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I imagine it would be a very thin layered suit covered in hair over the body. I think the Hell Boy figure Hot Toys is making has a thin layer over the body. A HT/SS collaboration on this figure is very likely. I was looking at the Stormtrooper and under its specs Hot Toys is listed as one of the artists, so they are doing something with SS.

Hot Toys co-developed the armor and child bodies with Sideshow, so any figure using them will have them credited for that fact.

Matt S
12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
If they actually announce a Chewie next year, I shall pet my own wookie and post it on You Tube!

T.E.D
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
If they actually announce a Chewie next year, I shall pet my own wookie and post it on You Tube!

I think youtube have against that sort of thing....

Matt S
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I think youtube have against that sort of thing....

I guess so....those wookie haters.

Seriously though, a Hot Toys/Sideshow combined Chewie would seriously make my year....I would be more pumped than Jabba...and I was pumped for him!

Memnoch
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I already have an idea of what he would come with, his bandolier and bag, bowcaster, the binders from ANH, the long Stormtrooper rifle and the exclusive could come with the Mouse Droid.

barryo
12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
I already have an idea of what he would come with, his bandolier and bag, bowcaster, the binders from ANH, the long Stormtrooper rifle and the exclusive could come with the Mouse Droid.

certainly within the realms of possibility with the items you listed. but at this point bowcaster and bandoleers would suit me just fine.....:chew

MaulFan
12-22-2008, 06:01 PM

I bent my Wookie.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/129152447_2fcb2fe1e1.jpg?v=0

Agent0028
12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I predict a PF before a 1/6 since the articulation may be difficult to solve. Or maybe I just want a PF Chewbacca...

Havok
12-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I predict a PF before a 1/6 since the articulation may be difficult to solve. Or maybe I just want a PF Chewbacca...

I'm with you Agent, I definitely want a PF Chewie over a 1/6. :chew

darthviper107
12-22-2008, 06:47 PM
They could definitely do a 1/6th Chewie from this. The head is probably the hardest part really, maybe the hands since he's got fur on those also (as opposed to the POTA figures). But the body would be pretty easy. Vader's body is a tall version of the armored body which was made skinny so the armor fits more naturally, so really for Chewie they would just need to make a muscle suit over that and then a fur suit over that and it would work fine. It's easy to put fur into cloth for the suit, not so much the head though.

And if Hot Toys helps (which they most likely will) then it should turn out fine, Hot Toys figures usually end up as good as if not better than the prototypes.

FlyAndFight
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Chewie is taller than Vader. They would need to modify that body even further.

DarthNeil
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
If HT really does dip into 1/6 SW I certainly hope that Chewie and the droids are at the top of the list with a certain droid general a close third.

MaulFan
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I think Sideshow can manage the droids on their own with a small ammount of help from HT, but I'd love HT to really get hands on for Grievous.

Matt S
12-23-2008, 12:55 AM
I bent my Wookie.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/129152447_2fcb2fe1e1.jpg?v=0

Dude, that is beyond funny! :rotfl

lerath666
12-23-2008, 05:07 AM
just tossing this out thre. It'll likely be a bodysuit, with the fur on the suit to keep the fur out of the joints.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that chewie will be the christmas suprise.

abake
12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Body-suit sounds perfectly logical and relatively simple. As stated before, the head and hands are the toughest bit.

DPrime
12-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Body-suit sounds perfectly logical and relatively simple. As stated before, the head and hands are the toughest bit.

That's gonna be a tight fit if it's going to look any good. And I thought getting those Predator net-suits on was a pain...

Memnoch
12-23-2008, 10:26 AM
That's gonna be a tight fit if it's going to look any good. And I thought getting those Predator net-suits on was a pain...

You wouldn't be putting Chewie together though. You didn't have to be General Kenobi together and he was HT/SS.

IrishJedi
12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Infallible? No. Almost though.:D If any company can do a 1:6 furred Chewie properly it'll be HT.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

darthviper107
12-23-2008, 03:19 PM
It's so weird, Sideshow has the problem with figures when they require new body types/parts or have weird components. But Hot Toys is shooting out stuff like Davy Jones, Batman, Iron Man, and now the POTA figures. I wonder if the advantage of being in China already helps Hot Toys that much so they can make big product changes that easily

EVILFACE
12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
The "problem" was just a reason to pass them off to HT to do.

Bum
12-23-2008, 03:29 PM

ugh. i can see our cats now... thinking Chewie is their new scratch post.

MaulFan
12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
It's so weird, Sideshow has the problem with figures when they require new body types/parts or have weird components. But Hot Toys is shooting out stuff like Davy Jones, Batman, Iron Man, and now the POTA figures. I wonder if the advantage of being in China already helps Hot Toys that much so they can make big product changes that easily

Well, Hot Toys is all about figurines, the 1/6 products are the meat of their business, so it's in their best interest to devote great resources into their craft.

Sideshow does a little of everything, with 1/6, and really only Star Wars, only making up probably 1/3 of their yearly product offering, so as much as they put into 1/6, I'm sure they could put more but just don't because it's not what they're all about. And now with their relationship with HT, they can expand their offering by tapping into HT resources.

In a way, the situation would be like Hot Toys consulting Sideshow about statues. They're both great, but have strengths that each can gain from.

Memnoch
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I really think what SS is doing is grabbing up world wide licenses when available, doing the polystone stuff, replicas and having HT do the more complex stuff. I think when/if we get non human figures it will be from HT, humans will still come through Sideshow.

lerath666
12-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Umm.. no it wouldn't. Go back and look at the production still of mayhew in the suit., if anything, inorder to look realistic, it would need to be baggy.

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/bdd_Chewbacca.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/wrlds/strwrs/pr/img/orig/Episode_4_Han_Solo_and_Chewbacca_1.jpghttp://laspoliticas.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/chewbacca.jpg
http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2007/07/chewbacca.jpghttp://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_roland/2005_10_chewbacca.jpghttp://al.petfield.com/uploads/2007/chewbaccae.jpg
ok, so not extremely baggy, but still, a tight-fitting bodysuit would look awful.

lerath666
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Think abut it in these terms. if you have an animal with lots of fur, the skin is usualy kiinda baggy, ad kind.. slides a little on their frame. Mayhew was not in a skintight suit covered in fur, it also was designed to be a little baggy, so the fur would look beleiveable.

JustinLuck
04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
From the latest Q&A:

I’m still waiting for you guys to do a Chewie, which I am sure you will, and I’m sure you will do a great job on him. I’m just curious if you will make several different versions of Chewie or if you will just do one with all the different accessories, such as his welding goggles and torch, bowcaster, weird Episode 3 weapon, hydrospanner, Breathing Mask w/ filter and C-3PO in pieces for him to carry on his back? Either way, keep up the great work and thanks for all the cool stuff you have done so far, especially “The Dead” line!

Thanks for the kind words and for the enthusiasm about Chewbacca. He’s still far, far from a reality - so we’ll simply say that we share your enthusiasm for all of Chewy’s wonderful toys and hope that he can one day join the ranks.

:monkey2

Please post your thoughts whether you want Hot Toys to design Chewie instead of waiting an indefinite amount of years for Sideshow to figure him out.

RICEaRONI
04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
i think everyone wants a wookie on their shelves

BuddyGus
04-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Screw it! I'm gonna make my own!

Just Kidding. Come on Sideshow, get with Hot Toys and knock this thing out.

d_jedi1
04-13-2009, 04:48 AM
I got tired of waiting and bought the Hasbro episode three one... hey it was like seven bucks on the 'bay, how could I NOT? lol

stupid thing has almost NO articulation.... get off your butts sideshow, I want my wookie!

IrishJedi
04-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I have no doubt that Hot Toys could knock out an awesome 1:6 Chewbacca right now, yet it will apparently take Sideshow a few more years to do it. This tells us 2 things...

1) They weren't really ready for this 1:6 license in 2006. Heck, they still can't churn out some obvious core characters now... 3+ years later.

2) They're nowhere near the level of Hot Toys when it comes to engineering and producing highly-detailed 1:6 products on a consistent basis.

I'm hoping the fine folks at SSC do the right thing and become resigned to these facts and indeed reach out to HT to get it done.

drod26
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
A chewie would be awesome. I wonder what goes to Sideshow management when it comes to designs for new figures and what makes it into production. I am quessing they are working on a prototype chewie but they are running into some difficulties with the body.

On a side note, how much are you willing to pay? I would say if this figure makes it to production its going to be around $150.

Mad Old Lu
04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm willing to wait for Chewie. It's very sad to read that Sideshow is far (far) from making him, but I think there are still plenty of figures that don't need the R&D Chewie does left to release in the mean time. I'm sure the fur suit is a PITA to figure out and produce, but with Hot Toys now producing the POTA figures, maybe Sideshow can learn a few things from them. Or just partner with HT to produce Chewie, like a lot of you guys are suggesting. But I'm fine with waiting a while til they figure it all out.

Kuzeh
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Very sad news indeed...
I guess my custom one will do for now...
I need to trim that wookie hair though...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/kuzeh/chewie1.jpg

Wor-Gar
04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Mark's Chewie works great, just a little futzing with the hair and he's looks terrific with the SS Luke, Han, Ben and Leia. Fills that void for me. I'm more interested in getting the droids right now.

Still, very bad news that an official SS Chewbacca is still so far, far away.

Agent0028
04-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I dunno, I think y'all are giving Hot Toys a little too much credit. Granted they do amazing things and maybe they could whip out a Chewie right now, but I'm not convinced.

ProgMatinee
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
When are their POTA figs suppose to be out? Like to see how the end product came out.

drod26
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Whats a POTA figure? sorry guys

Luis138
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Whats a POTA figure? sorry guys

Planet Of The Apes

Luis

Darth Snoopy
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I want a Star Wars Dio of this! :rock :lol :lol :rotfl:rotfl :lol :lol :rock

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_roland/2005_10_chewbacca.jpg

Star Puffs
04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I wonder what goes to Sideshow management when it comes to designs for new figures and what makes it into production.

The Bantha in the room is that Sideshow is just not that innovative or competent from a business perspective.

They have never moved the Star Wars figures that far beyond the quality and offerings of the Buffy, Bond and X-Files years despite the $40-50 price hikes.

They failed to capture obvious licenses like Firefly and Battlestar Galactica.

They are unusually secretive about upcoming designs and then very slow and chronically late in terms of delivering a finished product, which often have poor quality control. I mean it is ridiculous that Lando ordered in February is not due until the 4th quarter.

They do bizarre things from a marketing and sales standpoint like release Darth Vader and Rebel Trooper figures, while releasing a diorama with identical figures at the same time.

The epitome of their poor decision making is the holochess set from the Millennium Falcon. An accessory which goes with three characters they have not made.

The coolest, most unexpected things they have delivered in the past two years are the idol environment which came with the Belloq figure and the GI Joe line. Neither of which interest me (well, the idol chamber would if sold separately), but they look pretty cool.

Agent0028
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I disagree about the time between pre-order and release, it gives people more time to save up. Yeah its a pain to wait, but a little patience never killed anyone.

Memnoch
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
*sigh* Nice to see a thread I started turn into SS bashing without any serious discussion to the original topic.

JustinLuck
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
*sigh* Nice to see a thread I started turn into SS bashing without any serious discussion to the original topic.

She does speak the truth though.

OSCORP
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Is anyone really surprised SS can't pull it off now?

drod26

yeah it all start because SS announced that they are far far away from making a chewie... :(
But honestly, I think that sideshow could improve alot with there releases and character line up disclosure..

IrishJedi
The epitome of their poor decision making is the holochess set from the Millennium Falcon. An accessory which goes with three characters they have not made.

And 3 characters they're still not even close to being ready to make.

(I do like the Holochess set a lot, though. But you do make a good point)

Star Puffs
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM

I'm sorry but my criticism of Sideshow's production and design decisions relates directly to their continued and admitted inability to produce a Chewbacca figure in 1:6 or PF scale. I love the Sideshow figures I own going back to the X-Files, but without Hot Toys creative input, I see little hope with many of the popular non-human characters from Star Wars.

Memnoch
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Im speaking more to the fact that lately most of what I see here relates to how everything SS does is garbage (more or less) and how Hot Toys would be soo much better.

Randy_S
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Im speaking more to the fact that lately most of what I see here relates to how everything SS does is garbage (more or less) and how Hot Toys would be soo much better.

Hmmm, what's that saying.......where there's smoke, there must be fire.

Memnoch
04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Well hey, here's a novel idea. If ya don't like the products, don't visit a site called Sideshow Freaks.

OSCORP
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
People like SS, they just like HT more. No need to get pissy about it.

I see more talk here (and every other section) about HT than i do SS. And i gotta say, i'm not complaining. SS just isn't in the same league, i've known that for a while no biggie. I like their stuff, but i know the best of the best when i see it.

Agent0028
04-13-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree Hot Toys is better, but I think sometimes people make unfair statements about Sideshow.

JustinLuck
04-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I think the situation is, we buy things based on our interest of the properties, not the companies themselves. It just so happens that Sideshow has the only 1/6 SW license, so we are forced to buy from them if we want high-end 1/6 SW memorabilia. I honestly do not count Medicom because they only release 1-3 figures a year, and their quality is unfortunately nearing Hasbro standards. This is a pity because Medicom could do so much more with the license if they wanted to. Because of the artificial monopoly created by Lucasfilm, Sideshow seems to lack motivation or drive to be make better products. If the SW license was given to all the 1/6 players, I can almost guarantee we would already have the droids, Yoda, and Chewie in our hands. Maybe not from Sideshow or even Hot Toys, but from another strong player like Enterbay, ACE, or Soldier Story. Competition is always good for invigorating innovation while keeping prices reasonable. You can already see that Soldier Story has unexpectedly one upped the Truetype with their high quality S2 body for 2/3 the cost.

Memnoch
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Justin, I'd just like to say thank you for addressing things with TACT. Something that has been missing around here of late.

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
The competition thing is a good point, if there were a bunch of places with the license we would see alot of innovations from alot of companies. What would suck is when some company outdoes another with a figure you already have, because lets face it we would all upgrade. :lol

drod26
04-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree, if Lucas gave the license to all major players in the 1:6 scale we would have alot more figures out. In my opinion I dont think this would be a good idea, the market would get saturated with lots of figures, alot of good ones and alot of bad ones. Competitors will try to cost price to win a big piece of the buyers but suffer quality. If we look at how things are right now, Hasbro is the only player in the 3 3/4 scale.

I think that RAH has a license is because they are international and they dont import to the US. They are not the primary suppliers to the US like SS is. I think that SS could improve their product line just like everyone else. For the consumers if you are not happy with SS products you have choices you may not like them but we have them:
1) Buy if you like the figure
2) Dont buy at all and be angry and complain like a kid does when he/she doesnt get what they want
3) Make your own figures

I personaly will continue to buy the figures because I am a fan of starwars. If the figure doesnt meet my expectations, I simply wont buy it.

Darklord Dave
04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
As I've said in multiple threads - HT has done some very innovative things, but nothing they've done has demonstrated that they'd have any better ideas on doing a furry Chewie than SSC.

Let's see some ideas - sure we don't know the production problems involved, but even completely unworkable ideas could lead to some other brainstorm.

I think the biggest obstacle to Chewie is making his head look right - and even he fantastic custom Chewies that we've seen sometimes suffer in this regard.

So let's hear your ideas on how to do a furry wookie head and then reproduce it 1000s of times without resulting to skilled artisans.

The Josh
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
When are their POTA figs suppose to be out? Like to see how the end product came out.

Yeah, I'd like to see production pieces of those before saying oh HT can do it.

Thats pretty much been the status quo for some time now. Lots of folks taken a hit of the same bong that HT is the only company that can do anything right in 1:6th. SS has made and will continue to make some awesome 1:6th figures. I think the idea that they just make a decent product is cutting the items they make way short.

Well hey, here's a novel idea. If ya don't like the products, don't visit a site called Sideshow Freaks.

:lecture :lecture

As I've said in multiple threads - HT has done some very innovative things, but nothing they've done has demonstrated that they'd have any better ideas on doing a furry Chewie than SSC.

Exactly! HT does some amazing stuff. Look at the TDK figures, Iron Man, Dutch, etc. They make some of the best 1:6th figure out there bar none and overall are probably the tops when it comes to that. However, they haven't shown they can make a Chewie yet by anything they've put out there. If they can get the POTA figs to come out looking amazing with real hair then I might agree let them help make Chewie.

I'm fine and dandy with letting them help SS get Yoda, R2, and 3PO out there as well. I agree with Justin in that letting folks work together or even competition helps things out. So as I've stated lets get SS and HT working together more on things and get the best items out there.

Kenbenobi
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Take a look at the Apes thread, that is hair done right. Im actually kind of shocked.
Agreed. I'm kinda amazed that Hasbro never perfected it. Their puffball Chewie is one of the funniest items in my collection! :chew

pixletwin
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
How hard can it be? In 1:1 he is a guy in furry suit. In 1:6 he would be a guy in furry suit.

(I know thats naive but its basically true. Maybe SS and others are thinking too hard).

Darthrazz
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I think the biggest obstacle to Chewie is making his head look right - and even he fantastic custom Chewies that we've seen sometimes suffer in this regard.

That's probably THE sticking point, as far as the body I think they could nail it quite easily. Remember the Rev Bem figure from Andromeda? I believe it was made by BBI and he was actually wearing a fur suit over their standard body, very well done, and it didn't limit the articulation much. As far making Chewie's head, as Dave said and mass produce it with fur could be the issue. Maybe they can make a hybrid resin/fur like suggested in one of the other threads, similiar to Planet of the Apes?? You could always apply fur to the resin part yourself and "finish" the figure??? I don't know , I'm at a loss myself as to how to pull it off. Here is the link to the Rev Bem figure from Michael Crawford's site.

http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_120501.htm

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
This is simple, people. Hot Toys has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to 1:6 engineering. Sideshow has not (hell, they all but admit they can't pull certain things off). That this is even debatable is crazy to me.

You can doubt the ability of Hot Toys until your faces turn blue, but it would be like mocking the mighty Technoviking. OBEY:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/2060315012_a002786a08_o.jpg

The Josh
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
This is simple, people. Hot Toys has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to 1:6 engineering. Sideshow has not (hell, they all but admit they can't pull certain things off). That this is even debatable is crazy to me.

You can doubt the ability of Hot Toys until your faces turn blue, but it would be like mocking the mighty Technoviking. OBEY:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/2060315012_a002786a08_o.jpg

I'm glad its that 2 you. Its not that simple and HT has not earned the benefit of the doubt at least in my book. Until they can pull off the POTA figures in production the way they look in the protos I'm going to say its 50/50 they can do it. I give SS the benefit of the doubt when it comes to most figures but I admit and they do too that getting a Chewie done right now aint or cant happen with them.

I don't doubt HT but to just anoint them the gods of 1:6th is just pure silliness to me.

I have no idea who that guy is but I doubt he can spell Cat if I spotted him the C and the A.

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I have no idea who that guy is but I doubt he can spell Cat if I spotted him the C and the A.

:horror

How dare you insult Lord Technoviking!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1nzEFMjkI4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1nzEFMjkI4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(You gotta watch the whole thing, or at least the first half)

The Josh
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I can't @ work. :( Filter blocks it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say one other thing with HT I have NO doubts that they can do R2, 3PO, or Yoda. I know that they can pull those off without a hitch.

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I think getting the fur to look right in mass production is going to be another huge obstacle to overcome in addition to the face. Also I think it depends on how good they want Chewie to look. I've seen alot of great looking customs but I haven't seen one that really truly looks like Chewbacca.

Darthrazz
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Here's an oldie, but a decent looking Chewie, some of the images are long gone though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050323005634/www.skygunbros-custom-creatures.com/chewietutorial1.html

Memnoch
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's an oldie, but a decent looking Chewie, some of the images are long gone though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050323005634/www.skygunbros-custom-creatures.com/chewietutorial1.html

I've always liked the execution if not the total look (Chewies hair is very distinct and that seems a bit coarse) but from what I remember that Chewie really had the tall and lean look down pat that most customs are missing.

Darthrazz
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I've always liked the execution if not the total look (Chewies hair is very distinct and that seems a bit coarse) but from what I remember that Chewie really had the tall and lean look down pat that most customs are missing.

Yes, most custom Chewies are larger than they should be. If you look at the OT and even pictures, Chewbacca was very lean and not broad shouldered. He was rather lanky more than muscular.

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
It does look nice, but its not something I would buy. I don't like the lips and the fur looks to coarse. Not meaning that as an insult to the creator because it is an excellent job, but its not good enough for an official item by Sideshow.

Darklord Dave
04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
How hard can it be? In 1:1 he is a guy in furry suit. In 1:6 he would be a guy in furry suit.

(I know thats naive but its basically true. Maybe SS and others are thinking too hard).

A furry suit that had lots of little old ladies poking individual yak hairs through a body suit one at a time. And as I said, it's not the suit really, it's the head.

And when I proposed that Chewie be done similar to the HT PotA with a partial sculpted face - people weren't supportive. So I'm not confident that HT could come up with something completely different that maintained the look of the character.

Nitro
04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Guess I gotta stick with my furry Hasbro Chewie for a little while longer... :D

jedibear
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I agree with Dave here...

Hasbro gave it the best tries they could within the limitations imposed on them by having a cost-effective mass-market figures, one was a wire-framed, cuddley-faced toy and the other was an articulated, properly scaled (height-wise) tootsie roll monstrosity that just looked bizarre...

I think it's an unfortunate given that the only way this character could be effectively rendered in sixth-scale form is either a very well sculpted and detailed figure (more like a statue really) or by the aforementioned "little old ladies" assembly approach...

The former would be more cost-effective (and presumably less expensive) and the latter would be outrageously expensive (and STILL not satisfy everyone with the end result)...

So....the chances of seeing a Chewbacca effectively rendered in this scale are pretty slim, close to none, I'd say...

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I'm certainly glad folks like Dave and jedibear don't make choices at Hot Toys. :lol

OSCORP
04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I have no doubt HT could pull off a bomb Chewie. I'd even venture to say Medicom could pull off a nice one, though he might look just a tad Asian.

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
C'mon Irish, back it up, how would Hot Toys do it? What have they done that shows they can do it?

The Josh
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
C'mon Irish, back it up, how would Hot Toys do it? What have they done that shows they can do it?

That's the thing they haven't. The pota figures show it it's somewhat possible as a proto but until these come out Ill hold back saying they can. As far as medicom being able 2 that's a joke.

automaton
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
i predict Hot Toys would go the sculpted fur route... and it would look so freaking fantastic that the thought of "real" fur would only conjure images of dollies and stuffed animals in our brains...

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Why is the onus on those who give Hot Toys the benefit of the doubt? Why don't you try and explain why you would doubt they can pull off just about anything in 1:6 after what they've already accomplished and the envelopes they've already pushed and broken through.

And this "I won't believe they did it with the POTA figures until they deliver them" is silly, too. When was the last time Hot Toys offered an item as a prototype that they couldn't deliver??? Hell, their production items turn out MUCH closer to their protos than either Sideshow's or Medicom's do!

i predict Hot Toys would go the sculpted fur route... and it would look so freaking fantastic that the thought of "real" fur would only conjure images of dollies and stuffed animals in our brains...
No way. HT will definitely go for the real fur route. Sculped fur on anything bigger than 1:18 (3.75") always looks cheap and cheesy.

MaulFan
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
That's the thing they haven't. The pota figures show it it's somewhat possible as a proto but until these come out Ill hold back saying they can. As far as medicom being able 2 that's a joke.

Exactly, and as I said way back when those debuted, they are real fur and the protos look nice, but their fur style is plain, Chewie has a very distinct look to his fur and replicating it correctly is key and the main reason I'm not wowed by all the customs, I haven't seen one that really looks like Chewbacca. If Hot Toys could A) replicate his look in 1/6 scale for a proto, and B) deliver the same look in production, great, if not, I'm against fake fur on him.

I would envision a mix of hard plastic and rubber like their aliens figures to achieve a sculpted Chewie and hide joints.

Bottom line, outside of a PF or statue in general, Chewie's probably one of the most challenging characters to translate effectively into 1/6. You either go sculpted and sure you'll know it's a figure, or you go fake fur and maybe still, sure you know it's a figure. I can't quite envision an almost perfect 1/6 Chewbacca figure, as much as I have faith in HT's abilities, I'm just not sure if mass production of something like this is possible. I know they could faux fur a great proto without question, it's a one time deal, but thousands, that seems to be the trick part.

That said, if HT found a way to ensure production figures looking correct, I'd be willing to wait an entire year or more for that production if that's what it took to ensure the quality, but I'd add to that, just do swappable heads and give us all the Chewie heads and gear with one body so we wouldn't wait long for multiple versions.

MaulFan
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
And this "I won't believe they did it with the POTA figures until they deliver them" is silly, too. When was the last time Hot Toys offered an item as a prototype that they couldn't deliver??? Heck, their production items turn out MUCH closer to their protos than Sideshow's do.

I think the comments are based on the faux hair being something new. While still pretty nice, from the pictures i've seen, the rooted hair on the secret service figure doesn't look AS stellar as the prototype, same could end up true of the apes, we just don't know, but that's the key with Chewbacca, big deal if the proto kicks ass, if they can't maintain the look through production it's pointless.

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I think the comments are based on the faux hair being something new. While still pretty nice, from the pictures i've seen, the rooted hair on the secret service figure doesn't look AS stellar as the prototype
Actually, I have seen one in person and I think it looks BETTER than the prototype pics.

same could end up true of the apes, we just don't know
No, we don't... yet. But Hot Toys has not given us any reason to doubt them. People are applying the same standards of quality and innovation they're used to from Sideshow, Medicom, Hasbro et al to Hot Toys. I'm saying that we now have enough empirical evidence to prove that they've pulled away from the pack when it comes to 1:6 engineering and production and thus deserve the benefit of any doubt.

JustinLuck
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Here's an interesting revision of the Hot Toys female hair. I think it is possible to make realistic looking hair/fur, but it may require some customization to add that final touch.

http://www.boy-toy.net/bbs/UploadFile/2009-4/20094419145827.jpg

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92506

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Why is the onus on those who give Hot Toys the benefit of the doubt? Why don't you try and explain why you would doubt they can pull off just about anything in 1:6 after what they've already accomplished and the envelopes they've already pushed and broken through.

Well you are the one claiming it can be done, I'm saying I doubt it, so as the one proposing it, shouldn't you provide evidence to persuade me? But to be fair I will say I am doubtful because I've yet to see anything to show they could do it. As Maulfan points out the fur on the POTA is very different from Chewie, and as Dave points out the face will still be a big challenge. I've yet to see a custom that looks all that good, and I think there are some customisers every bit as good as the people at Hot Toys, but I'll concede I may be wrong there.

MaulFan
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Considering the size of the figure, the challenges of doing it yourself, and the sure to be high price for a furred 1/6 mass production Chewie, it damn well better come out of the box without the need of work to make it look like Chewie. Futzing here and there for personal touches is one thing, but if it can't look right out of the box and requires serious work to make it look right, pass for me, it'd likely be a $170-$200 figure, if the go so far as to release it, they should be able to deliver.

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Ask yourself this: a year ago, did you really think a 1:6 figure like the Hot Toys IRON MAN was possible for a mass production item? How about the realism that some of their human faces have now?

Maybe the real fur thing is as impossible as a cure for cancer like some apparently believe. But my point is... why on Earth would you doubt Hot Toys when it comes to 1:6 ANYTHING at this point?? They've routinely proven that they can accomplish things at this scale in mass quantities that no other major collectibles company can even dream of. Their standard is different and much higher, which is why lots of folks now want them to make all of the 1:6 figures. :lol

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Not impossible, just very difficult. I'm sure Hot Toys can do it. I'm sure Sideshow can too. I'm sure Hot Toys could do it before Sideshow could. I'm not sure Hot Toys can do it right now.

And I'm not one to subscribe to the "they can do anything" thought. I gotta see some evidence similar to the attempt first. Iron Man seems like it would be easier to do than Chewie.

MaulFan
04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't doubt them as a whole, I just doubt them on this figure today. It's unprecidented and if the POTA figures turn out in production looking just like the protos or better, then I will feel confident that Chewie is on the horizon. As far as humans, robots and vehicles, I have no doubts about HT, I've been following them since the early Aliens and Rambo days and seen their growth in those areas, this fur deal is totally new territory. I love the notion of their new posable eye system, but I'm curious to see how it works out in production before I assume they've struck gold again.

I don't think furred Chewie is impossible, but without knowing anything about working with fur to make something, my conclusion is that replicating the look of Chewie's fur in production would be a significant challenge. Maybe HT's quite better at it than customizers, but the fact that none of them have really nailed the look makes me not think it's easy. If it were easy enough to do in production, surely a customizer who can usually out do anything mass production can turn out, could achieve, so why hasn't it been done.

Achieving this

http://www.hypebeast.com/image/2008/12/classic-planet-apes-hot-toys-7.jpg

Is a stepping stone to this

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/wrlds/strwrs/pr/img/orig/Episode_4_Han_Solo_and_Chewbacca_1.jpg

But it's not there yet.

FlyAndFight
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I have no doubt HT could pull off a bomb Chewie. I'd even venture to say Medicom could pull off a nice one, though he might look just a tad Asian.

I don't know about you, but the thought of seeing Chewie doing the Medicom groin thrust makes me ill... :sick

MANDO
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
There's no cause to say it's not there yet. The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience. The only reason they can't do it is because the rights aren't there.

I'm still waiting on SSC to make a Han Solo that looks like Ford out of the box.

Star Puffs
04-14-2009, 08:32 PM
If people can do decent looking customs, I can't imagine why a professional studio could not do this if they really wanted to.

Granted a decent Chewbacca is going to require some hand work to get the matted fur looking right. But if you can pay someone to sew a 1:6 scale coat complete with functional pockets and lining, why can't they put that time into futzing the hair on a Chewbacca figure?

Sideshow's handle on manufacturing and quality-control is again the issue. Their armour figures are at least a step in a new direction from clothed human figures and polystone work.

Memnoch
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
If people can do decent looking customs, I can't imagine why a professional studio could not do this if they really wanted to.

That's just it. I've only ever seen one decent Chewbacca custom and even then the fur was wrong. All the other Chewbacca customs are farrr too thick. Chewie was tall and lanky.

IrishJedi
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't know about you, but the thought of seeing Chewie doing the Medicom groin thrust makes me ill... :sick

:lol You're right. :yuck

The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience. The only reason they can't do it is because the rights aren't there.

I tend to agree.

OSCORP
04-14-2009, 08:54 PM
There's no cause to say it's not there yet. The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience. The only reason they can't do it is because the rights aren't there.

I'm still waiting on SSC to make a Han Solo that looks like Ford out of the box.

:lecture:clap:bow

Agent0028
04-14-2009, 09:03 PM
That's just it. I've only ever seen one decent Chewbacca custom and even then the fur was wrong. All the other Chewbacca customs are farrr too thick. Chewie was tall and lanky.

That is my feeling on the subject. I also do not think the fur on the POTA translates easily to the fur on Chewie.

The Josh
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
And this "I won't believe they did it with the POTA figures until they deliver them" is silly, too. When was the last time Hot Toys offered an item as a prototype that they couldn't deliver??? Hell, their production items turn out MUCH closer to their protos than either Sideshow's or Medicom's do!

Well, that may be silly to you but you have nothing to back up why its silly. Till they deliver on what they show with the proto in this type of figure I'll have some doubt. How about the POTC figures? Outside of Cannibal Jack the rest of the figures where too dark skin tone human wise. Well, not all maybe but pretty much most of the pictures I saw showed skin tone similar to the ones I had. So there's like 4 figures right there.

No, we don't... yet. But Hot Toys has not given us any reason to doubt them. People are applying the same standards of quality and innovation they're used to from Sideshow, Medicom, Hasbro et al to Hot Toys. I'm saying that we now have enough empirical evidence to prove that they've pulled away from the pack when it comes to 1:6 engineering and production and thus deserve the benefit of any doubt.

Till they show me they can pull it off in production with a figure like this I'll keep some doubt. The other items they've done are amazing! Some of the bets 1:6th figures I've ever seen. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to say they can do it no problem. I think they can and I think they will or can before SS at this point, but the POTA figures are just protos.

And I'm not one to subscribe to the "they can do anything" thought. I gotta see some evidence similar to the attempt first. Iron Man seems like it would be easier to do than Chewie.

Ditto for me as well.

Star Puffs
04-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Well, when an individual collector goes to make a custom we are generally limited to fur/hair (fake or real) available at retail.

A company planning on a run of 5000 Chewbaccas should be able to spend part of its development cost making a suitable fake fur (I believe it was yak hair in the films?).

BuddyGus
04-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Would a Hot Toys Predator body be the right size for a 1/6 Chewie?

EVILFACE
04-15-2009, 01:03 AM
A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off. Look at the stuff they have done with their figures like Robocop and the incredible T800 Endo as well as other items like the Power Loader and Tumbler.

HT at least tries to do stuff instead of putting a skirt on like Sideshow did and says "we can't do it right now".

4 years and Chewbacca is still a pipe dream to Sideshow artists???

Star Puffs
04-15-2009, 01:10 AM

I don't think Sideshow is incapable from the artistic side, but from the manufacturing side.

Hot Toys success with mechanical figures and rubber suits (which would be great for figures like Bossk or Admiral Ackbar) is extremely impressive, but does it translate to a furry/hairy figure?

The prototype POTA figures are clearly a huge step towards a Chewbacca (especially in getting the hair to lay right on the face), but they are really attempting something innovative here, so the finished retail product will really say the most.

MaulFan
04-15-2009, 03:48 AM
There's no cause to say it's not there yet. The POTA figures are supposed to be a little more combed out. Hot Toys could very well produce a figure with matted mangled fur like Chewie's, all it takes is some paint, a comb and a little patience.

Maybe that's all it would take, but that leads to my comment about taking over a year in production, because it sounds like a lot of work and long hours to achieve that across a couple thousand figures in a production line.

IrishJedi
04-15-2009, 05:51 AM
A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off. Look at the stuff they have done with their figures like Robocop and the incredible T800 Endo as well as other items like the Power Loader and Tumbler.

HT at least tries to do stuff instead of putting a skirt on like Sideshow did and says "we can't do it right now".

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

The Josh
04-15-2009, 05:55 AM
A big LOL at those that don't think HT could pull it off.

I don't think anyone has said HT can't do it.

I don't think Sideshow is incapable from the artistic side, but from the manufacturing side.

The prototype POTA figures are clearly a huge step towards a Chewbacca (especially in getting the hair to lay right on the face), but they are really attempting something innovative here, so the finished retail product will really say the most.

I agree. I think there is something manufacturing wise holding them up. I wonder if its because HT is from the region and something within that helps them out.

Again, I agree. Its a major step their and shows HT is within shouting distance of saying let us help ya. However, they could end up coming out horrible in production for whatever reason. Despite the fact some think HT can never do wrong they have and are as likely to have it happen as anyone else.

minivader
04-15-2009, 07:02 AM
IMO I think SSC, HT, and medicom would not have the problem creating a 1/6 chewbacca figure. The biggest hurdle for them is probably the price. How much do they have to price it in order to recoup the cost of making something like a chewie. In that regard, HT and medicom have a advantage (assuming ht have the SW license or hired by SSC or something) since those 2 generally can get away with charging high price where SSC (who have been play the value for $ card for so long) can not.

I know there are plenty of hard core SW fan would not hesitate to pay more for a chewie, but as price go up, that severly decrease the quantity they can sell. For a one off figure like chewie (new taller body + a fur coat + new manufacture process) it is gonna be a hard thing to mass produce until SSC, HT, or medi can find a more profitable way to make him. And one thing about chewie, he looks pretty much the same thru out all three OT films, so its not like they can create ep4 version, ep5, ep6 and so on to recoup cost.

Agent0028
04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I dunno, Sideshow's prices have been creeping up there. And as we've seen with some items they're comfortable charging a very high price (Han in Carbonite, Jabba and Throne) when they can justify it.

IrishJedi
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I dunno, Sideshow's prices have been creeping up there. And as we've seen with some items they're comfortable charging a very high price (Han in Carbonite, Jabba and Throne) when they can justify it.

Exactly. Price is not what is holding SSC up here.

Star Puffs
04-15-2009, 01:28 PM
For a one off figure like chewie (new taller body + a fur coat + new manufacture process) it is gonna be a hard thing to mass produce until SSC, HT, or medi can find a more profitable way to make him.

I would think that the recent SS Vader body with a long Chewbacca head could deliver a properly scaled height.

minivader
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
I would think that the recent SS Vader body with a long Chewbacca head could deliver a properly scaled height.

hmm...well, the actors are of different height, David P (vader) is 6.6" and Peter M (chewie) is 7.3". Dont really know what the vader body looks like since SSC has not release any image of it (have they?) so its hard to know if the vader body can be used for chewie. And what do you mean by "long" chewie head?

MaulFan
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Vader's body was stated to be the new Armor body with the midsection extended.

Until we get Vader in hand, I'm not sure that body would be lanky looking enough.

Darklord Dave
04-15-2009, 04:03 PM
An elongated armor body could work but would still be too buff for Chewie. And I'm not saying HT couldn't do it - just nothing they've produced so far is in the same vein. Not even the PotA. So it's a bit presumptuous to assume they wouldn't have the same trepidations about mass producing him as do SSC.

jedibear
04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
And that's the bottom line right there. I'm not saying HT couldn't do it either...clearly they do produce an impressive array of figures, but Chewie pose a very distinct challenge....how to produce the figure that looks it's absolute best at a manufacturing cost that does not force them to charge $300 or more for the figure. Yes, there are those here who would buy it in that price range without batting an eye, but I think it's safe to say most of us would have to be really impressed to lay out that kind of coin for any figure...and that's a big gamble for any company.

Plus, if any company produces an adequate Chewie figure that ends up in the extreme upper range of consumer cost, I don't think many folks would expect to have to do any more than fix/position the hair/pose like one does the outfits and accessories of any other figure.

The Josh
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
An elongated armor body could work but would still be too buff for Chewie. And I'm not saying HT couldn't do it - just nothing they've produced so far is in the same vein. Not even the PotA. So it's a bit presumptuous to assume they wouldn't have the same trepidations about mass producing him as do SSC.

And that's the bottom line right there. I'm not saying HT couldn't do it either...clearly they do produce an impressive array of figures, but Chewie pose a very distinct challenge....how to produce the figure that looks it's absolute best at a manufacturing cost that does not force them to charge $300 or more for the figure. Yes, there are those here who would buy it in that price range without batting an eye, but I think it's safe to say most of us would have to be really impressed to lay out that kind of coin for any figure...and that's a big gamble for any company.

Plus, if any company produces an adequate Chewie figure that ends up in the extreme upper range of consumer cost, I don't think many folks would expect to have to do any more than fix/position the hair/pose like one does the outfits and accessories of any other figure.

:lecture :lecture

IrishJedi
04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Poor, poor Sideshow.

The Josh
04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Poor, poor Sideshow.

Care to explain?:confused:

drod26
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Poor, poor Sideshow.

Explain????

If you think about it no matter how good HT is and how well they can make a chewie or any other star wars characters with out A LICENSE they cant do anything unless sideshow does a collaboration with hot toys and lucas approves it.

Agent0028
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I wish Hot Toys would get the license in addition to Sideshow that way either the Sideshow critics shut up when Hot Toys doesn't do it, or they make a great Chewie and everybody's happy. Well except me because I want the wookie in PF.

drod26
04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
It doesnt matter who makes them, SS or HT as long as we get good quality products.

Anzik
04-16-2009, 03:17 PM
There seems to be a big factor being missed here. SS makes outrageously expensive toys that are within the reach of those not willing to pay prices bordering on the insane. Hot Toys makes the best toys at the highest prices. However guys like Les, Josh, Mikey, etc are routinely hired to repaint HT heads as well as SSC. If price were no object someone would have made an a perfect 1/6 Chewie by now. So the real issue comes down to who can make an authentic looking Chewbacca at a price that isn't my mortgage payment?
Realistically speaking, its obvious how he needs to be made:
He needs a new, very tall, very lanky body. He needs a fur suit, with accurate looking fur, that can mat without looking too thick. He needs a solid head with hair permanently affixed to his head in a precise manner.
The problem isn't that it can't be done, the problem is how to get it done at a price people will pay and still give the company a profit.

drod26
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
There seems to be a big factor being missed here. SS makes outrageously expensive toys that are within the reach of those not willing to pay prices bordering on the insane. Hot Toys makes the best toys at the highest prices. However guys like Les, Josh, Mikey, etc are routinely hired to repaint HT heads as well as SSC. If price were no object someone would have made an a perfect 1/6 Chewie by now. So the real issue comes down to who can make an authentic looking Chewbacca at a price that isn't my mortgage payment?
Realistically speaking, its obvious how he needs to be made:
He needs a new, very tall, very lanky body. He needs a fur suit, with accurate looking fur, that can mat without looking too thick. He needs a solid head with hair permanently affixed to his head in a precise manner.
The problem isn't that it can't be done, the problem is how to get it done at a price people will pay and still give the company a profit.

:lecture :lecture Very True... The question would be now How much would the average freak member would be willing to pay?

For me I would pay $130 for a good Chewie and would go as high as $250 for a perfect Chewie and that is really extreaching my wallet for a figure. :google

Brooks11b
04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
:lecture :lecture Very True... The question would be now How much would the average freak member would be willing to pay?

For me I would pay $130 for a good Chewie and would go as high as $250 for a perfect Chewie and that is really extreaching my wallet for a figure. :google

Agree, that would be about my limit too.

JustinLuck
04-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Look what I just ordered. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280332332771#ebayphotohosting

The Josh
04-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I didn't know HT made a Chewie. :lol

Matt S
04-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Look what I just ordered. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280332332771#ebayphotohosting

Best Chewie ever.

who needs reality when one can live in fantasy land? :D

ProgMatinee
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM

:lol:lol:chew:chew wait a second.

drod26
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

oh man.. thats a good BURNNN.....:rotfl:monkey5:chew

Venomous venom
04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
hm..maybe we need some "fresh air"...
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110190.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110192.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110204.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110194.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110197.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110214.jpg

Star Puffs
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
However guys like Les, Josh, Mikey, etc are routinely hired to repaint HT heads as well as SSC.

Hot Toys one weakness is that their attempt to cast vinyl in a skin tone and thus avoid the need to paint it on has not been perfected. There is still too much of a gray undertone which looks unrealistic. The Bruce Wayne head from the DK is particularly bad in this regards.

Loading Toys has the same issue with their Bond which was great but too red-brown in tone. I think the MMS DX Joker Cop head will have the same issue based on the early photos. It still looks better than heavy industrially applied acrylics.

Indiana Fett
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
hm..maybe we need some "fresh air"...
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110190.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110192.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110204.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110197.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/ezratheskywalker/P1110214.jpg

AWESOME! I have one of those customs too. Just looking for a Bowcaster for him as mine came with his ROTS weapon. Is that the VOTC one you have with yours? I posted in the 'Commerce' section that I'm looking to buy the Chewie Bowcaster...Heard the VOTC one is the one to get.

Venomous venom
04-17-2009, 12:23 PM
yap...thats by hasbro

drod26
04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Thats a nice custom Wookie. I like the white hair highlights.

Memnoch
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
It's a nice wookie, but you can see what I mean when I say most customs are too thick.

Agent0028
04-17-2009, 07:29 PM
The body looks good on that one, a little too thick, but I could live with it. The head however is what bothers me. Like I've said before an awesome job and in no way do I mean my criticism as a slight against the artist because they've done an amazing job.

Venomous venom
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah..thats the minus of it..but i'm just ordered the ROTS version..when chewie almost young..and when i see back the movie...i found so many differences between young chewie than the old one...the young one is more thick and shorter than the first trilogy...and as u know it..at the eps,4,5,6..slightly, chewie never gets the same costume..but whatever it is...we all loves wookies...and i still wonder if SS will release the ANH chewbacca..that will be rocks...:rock

Mooncat
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Torn . . I hold out hope that HT / SSC will do one . . . if HT go the POTA route then I know it will be better than the one below

Its that hope that stops me spending $150+ on this

Deathstalker
04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Some others completed before being sent out. Some owners can and often do restyle them, that's their choice and it's good they are happy with them. Just saying, take it for what it is. Thanks

Agent0028
04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Those are your customs? Great work on them, it's an amazing job and you clearly put alot of work into them. I hope my criticisms did not offend.

Deathstalker
04-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Yep, those are all done by me and nope, your criticisms don't offend. Generally I get very favorable feedback from whomever I sell too but like I said, often times people restyle their Chewie to their liking. That's great. I always strive to make the buyer happy and if that makes them happy and enjoy their Chewie all the more , great. I do my best to instruct everyone how to do the restyling but I have the advantage of doing many of them and getting the practice in and it does help. Also, in all honesty,they really do look better in hand. It really is difficult to take a good picture of Chewie. The camera likes to play games with his hair, I don't know why but it just does.......Is he perfect, no, but he's pretty damn good considering. I've tried different bodies and cobbled some together and such but it just hasn't done the trick. I'vee seen some other examples others talk about and tried to incorporate someof those ideas but it's tough and nothing has lived up to my standards as yet. You do want him to be able to stand on his own and hold a pose ,don't ya?

minner
04-20-2009, 04:21 AM
That is amazing I always was a bit of a Chewie fan.

drod26
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Some others completed before being sent out. Some owners can and often do restyle them, that's their choice and it's good they are happy with them. Just saying, take it for what it is. Thanks

Great work Deathstalker. I like the way chewie and yoda look. Chewie looks much taller and slender. Im curious how much do you charge per piece?

VOTR_Ed
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
HOPE FOR GETTING A CHEWBACCA IN THE NEAR FUTURE!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/3458714187_d964065b2f_o.jpg

http://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2009/04/tw85.html

And if you like Teen Wolf you're in twice as much luck!

Patient Zero
04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Yep, those are all done by me and nope, your criticisms don't offend. Generally I get very favorable feedback from whomever I sell too but like I said, often times people restyle their Chewie to their liking. That's great. I always strive to make the buyer happy and if that makes them happy and enjoy their Chewie all the more , great. I do my best to instruct everyone how to do the restyling but I have the advantage of doing many of them and getting the practice in and it does help. Also, in all honesty,they really do look better in hand. It really is difficult to take a good picture of Chewie. The camera likes to play games with his hair, I don't know why but it just does.......Is he perfect, no, but he's pretty damn good considering. I've tried different bodies and cobbled some together and such but it just hasn't done the trick. I'vee seen some other examples others talk about and tried to incorporate someof those ideas but it's tough and nothing has lived up to my standards as yet. You do want him to be able to stand on his own and hold a pose ,don't ya?

I am 100% happy with mine. These are great figures that fills a big void in a star wars 1/6 collection. Are they perfect, no. Will there ever be a perfect 1/6 chewie, who knows? But these are the closest you can get. That being said, keep an eye out in the for sale section as all my 1/6 star wars are gonna go.:naughty

Memnoch
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I dunno, the fur on the Teen Wolf figure looks like a good start.

Venomous venom
04-20-2009, 08:02 PM

hi matt...im happy with mine ....thx for it:chew

drod26
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
HOPE FOR GETTING A CHEWBACCA IN THE NEAR FUTURE!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/3458714187_d964065b2f_o.jpg

http://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2009/04/tw85.html

And if you like Teen Wolf you're in twice as much luck!

Man the Teen Wolf looks very good.. Does anyone know when this is coming out of its already out were you can get one?

Agent0028
04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Is that figure by Hot Toys? It does look really good, and while its not quite there for Chewie its definitely close enough to make me take back my doubts. Although there could still be the face issue as Dave mentioned.

Deathstalker
04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the compliments...........That Teen Wolf figure is definitely a very good start for a Chewie. Slimmer body and all. Should be well on the way to an awesome Chewie down the line. From the looks of it the hair should lay nicely and react appropriately when posing him in different positions. :chew

OSCORP
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Is that figure by Hot Toys?

NO.

:peace

Agent0028
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Ah, who is making it then?

Dally
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
That shows that it is definitely possible and I know Hot Toys would be up for the task. I wish Sideshow would consider collaborating with Hot Toys on this in the near future.

Agent0028
04-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Maybe they will, they colaborated before. Maybe they are and it just shows Hot Toys isn't that much closer than Sideshow...