Band of Brothers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blu Falcon

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is probably a repost, but it's cool nonetheless...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/cmfNNXma2vY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/cmfNNXma2vY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watching that made me wish Lucas or someone else would turn the Republic Commando novels into feature films or at least some type of live-action tv movies. Those books really make you understand the "boots on the ground" life of the RCs.

Watching that made me wish Lucas or someone else would turn the Republic Commando novels into feature films or at least some type of live-action tv movies. Those books really make you understand the "boots on the ground" life of the RCs.

Amen.. Being in the Military, I enjoyed the RC books more than any other Star Wars material. Imagine if they could do the RCs Band of Brothers style. :chew

Amen.. Being in the Military, I enjoyed the RC books more than any other Star Wars material. Imagine if they could do the RCs Band of Brothers style. :chew

Yep. They were exceptionally written and surprisingly military savvy and with the exception of choosing the word recce instead of recon (which is a Brit term though) captured the world of SF perfectly. If I had the money and the means, I'd be at LFL right now banging on the door practically begging to do a series based on the RC novels for HBO, Showtime, Sci-Fi or anyone who'd accept them. Sadly, it'll never happen because:

1) The ratings would spank those of Clone Wars

2) I don't think Morrison would be up for it. And that's a LOT of work in post for one actor.

3) It's a sensible idea.

Perhaps giving it to the Japanese to do an Anime style movie would be a good option, something in the style of Spriggan. Hell, they love Star Wars just as much as we do. Possibly even more!

Great video...very well done.
And yes...the RC books are among the best SW fiction ever done. Not only great military action, but thought-provoking stories and interesting characters too.

When the "live action" series was announced, my first thought was "C'mon Lucasfilm! Hire Traviss to head the writing team!"

I would love to see the series based on the RC books or at the very least, taking that approach to the storytelling...

Yep. They were exceptionally written and surprisingly military savvy and with the exception of choosing the word recce instead of recon (which is a Brit term though) captured the world of SF perfectly. If I had the money and the means, I'd be at LFL right now banging on the door practically begging to do a series based on the RC novels for HBO, Showtime, Sci-Fi or anyone who'd accept them. Sadly, it'll never happen because:

1) The ratings would spank those of Clone Wars

2) I don't think Morrison would be up for it. And that's a LOT of work in post for one actor.

3) It's a sensible idea.

Perhaps giving it to the Japanese to do an Anime style movie would be a good option, something in the style of Spriggan. Hell, they love Star Wars just as much as we do. Possibly even more!

Perhaps the new live action TV series will have an episode based on the fate of the Republic Commandos...

As for the game, it's one of the best, most original Star Wars games I've ever played...

Clones also don't have personalities, so it wouldn't really work.

They do. Just because someone is a clone doesn't mean they don't have individual personality. Just look at Solid, Liquid and Solidus of Metal Gear. Granted the white jobs aren't given as much liberty to let their personalities free as the higher up clones (Commanders, Commandos, ARCs etc.), but several of them have been shown to have personality even if they keep it under wraps most of the time.
________
NEXIUM SETTLEMENT NEWS

Last edited:
No way you can compare SW to real BoB!! Clones also don't have personalities, so it wouldn't really work.

Remember, in Star Wars, even the droids have different personalities. Plus, I think at this point, it's easy enough to say that even the animated series proves you wrong. Remember the episode with Yoda and the clones? Each clone had a distinct personality. This is the very issue that Karen Traviss addresses with such genius in her novels (including the Clone Wars adaption). The reason that the movies never really touched on it, I'm willing to bet was that there wasn't enough time and the main focus was always Skywalker.

Remember, in Star Wars, even the droids have different personalities. Plus, I think at this point, it's easy enough to say that even the animated series proves you wrong. Remember the episode with Yoda and the clones? Each clone had a distinct personality. This is the very issue that Karen Traviss addresses with such genius in her novels (including the Clone Wars adaption). The reason that the movies never really touched on it, I'm willing to bet was that there wasn't enough time and the main focus was always Skywalker.

Right. And I think it was Count Dooku who remarked in one of the Clone Wars episodes about how General Grevious mistreats his subordinate droids, which was in stark contrast to how the Jedi genuinely care about the welfare of the Clones. Grevious and Dooku see this as a weakness of the Jedi and try to exploit it.

I was thinking more of Episode 2 or 3 (I forget as I'm just not that much of a fan), but it seemed all the clone troopers that Obi-Wan went to see on the water planet were hella brainwahsed when they were being raised as kids.

And I'm sticking to my guns, either way, nothing beats the real BoB!!!! Especially now that I have it on Blu-Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I did like the Republic Commando game, so maybe something off that or the books. But just don't compare it to BoB please!!

I was thinking more of Episode 2 or 3 (I forget as I'm just not that much of a fan), but it seemed all the clone troopers that Obi-Wan went to see on the water planet were hella brainwahsed when they were being raised as kids.

Watch the movie again. There's a clone that looks up at Obi while they're walking past. Future RC! :lol As for the whole brainwashing thing, that's a little extreme. Soldiers are taught to obey orders. It's what keeps you alive in a bad situation. Taking time to think, sometimes takes too long and can get you killed. For something like Order 66, there comes a time in every soldier's life when they'll get an order they don't like, but will follow it for the sake of it being an order. That doesn't make them brainwashed at all.

And I'm sticking to my guns, either way, nothing beats the real BoB!!!! Especially now that I have it on Blu-Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I did like the Republic Commando game, so maybe something off that or the books. But just don't compare it to BoB please!!

Why not? Unless you served with the 101 at the Bulge, I don't see why it'd be an issue. Like Saving Private Ryan before it, BoB brought a substantial amount of color to the B&W photos and footage we see from WWII and humanized it a lot more than anything beforehand. I actually think that's an excellent comparison to what Karen Traviss did for the RCs and other clones of Star Wars.

truth. BoB rules.

and the karen traviss RC books are awesome. check out her gears of war novel as well. pretty much takes fenix and his crew and does the same thing. it's great.

Not to be the wet blanket but I kind of have a problem comparing WWII to Star Wars, at least when we're talking about a serious film/series like Band of Brothers, which is as we all know based on actual events and people. Not saying something heavily influenced by it wouldn't be cool, but treating it with the same weight as Band of Brothers, I don't think so.

And the Clones were definitely brainwashed to obey something like 66. That would simply not work with a professional army. You just can't go and execute your generals, no matter what your commander-in-chief says. Even if that was a "lawful order" in the Star Wars universe (which I doubt), it still wouldn't work on that kind of scale with real people. That was the whole reason Palpatine needed to have clones, rather than a regular professional or conscript army.

Not to be the wet blanket but I kind of have a problem comparing WWII to Star Wars, at least when we're talking about a serious film/series like Band of Brothers, which is as we all know based on actual events and people. Not saying something heavily influenced by it wouldn't be cool, but treating it with the same weight as Band of Brothers, I don't think so.

And the Clones were definitely brainwashed to obey something like 66. That would simply not work with a professional army. You just can't go and execute your generals, no matter what your commander-in-chief says. Even if that was a "lawful order" in the Star Wars universe (which I doubt), it still wouldn't work on that kind of scale with real people. That was the whole reason Palpatine needed to have clones, rather than a regular professional or conscript army.

Again, using Band of Brothers as a comparison shouldn't be an issue unless you actually served with the 101 at the Bulge, which if you did, I commend you on your typing skills and computer knowledge. :p

As for calling the clones brainwashed, let's take it a step further because you're calling them that for following orders and that statement is a little offensive to anyone who's actually been a soldier and seems more from standpoint of ignorance than any solid foundation. I could counter argue that society as a hole is brainwashed and the soldiers are the only ones who really see life how it is outside of this BS comfortzone of a country. 99.9% of people believe what the media tells them vs. the truth. I saw that with the Georgia conflict. Most civilians are nothing more than brainwashed sheep who would sooner believe what they see and read than face the truth.

How do you think our soldiers felt abandoning Afghanistan TWICE? The first time actually created the enemy we fought the second time. Then bailing on them the second time to take a country that very well could've (and most likely would have) aided in the hunt for Osama. Basically, imagine eliminating the enemy and then handing the people the craptastic blackhole that's left of their country and tell them, "Smoke up Johnny!" and expect them to pick up the reigns of a beast they don't know how to operate.

Many soldiers also hate the order of "leave him, we can't take him" in regards to a fallen team member. But guess what, it happens all the time and not everybody comes home. Most soldiers understand that whether or not they like the order, it's given for a reason that isn't theirs to understand. But in most cases, it's a crucial part to a bigger picture that they cannot see.

Now for Star Wars, Palpatine could've had droids just as easily who don't question orders. In the long run, it would have been considerably cheaper too. And to be honest, after reading Traviss' novels, I actually feel some disdain for the Jedi by the end as it definitely paints them in a different perspective than the arrogant snobs of the movies. While I never found myself agreeing with Palpatine, after the books one had to agree with the extent to which Jango went to preserve his race and exact that little bit of needed revenge.

Again, using Band of Brothers as a comparison shouldn't be an issue unless you actually served with the 101 at the Bulge, which if you did, I commend you on your typing skills and computer knowledge. :p

Why not? I happen to have great respect for the veterans of the Second World War, and what they went through. That doesn't mean you can't do a good action movie or even a comedy set in WWII. I can think of several off the top of my head that I quite enjoyed. However, I think that trying to make a live action series with the same gravitas as a serious WWII piece, such as the Band of Brothers miniseries, would just end up feeling contrived.

As for calling the clones brainwashed, let's take it a step further because you're calling them that for following orders and that statement is a little offensive to anyone who's actually been a soldier and seems more from standpoint of ignorance than any solid foundation.

Yes, let's take this a step further. I am a serving Naval Officer, so I know a thing or two about following, not to mention giving, orders. Would you consider that enough of a "solid foundation"?

For something like Order 66 to work, on that kind of scale, you would need brainwashed soldiers, period. Soldiers follow orders, LEGAL orders. They would not follow an order to kill a superior officer without warning or massacre children, nor would they be expected to.

Back