DCD Spirit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought we had a thread for this, but oh well.

I buy every DCD 13 that comes out - that's my only excuse and I'm sticking to it.

He's on the skinny body, which works well for Joker (comic version anyway) but it doesn't work well for Denny Colt. He's too lanky, the legs are too long and he seems disproportionate. It seems that DCD thought he'd be a tough sell, there's a lot of stuff here - 3 sets of hands, a crowbar, a 1:1 monkeywrench (it must have significance in the film) and a manhole cover. Unlike most DCDs the mask isn't removeable. The sculpt is pretty generic - it reminds of the Two-Face sculpt from DCD, it's pretty simplistic.

The hat fits well, the tie and coat are nice. He has lace up shoes, which, personally, I don't really need. The laces go all over the place in this scale.

I'd say that if you absolutely have to have a figure from the Spirit movie (and I doubt there's very many people that would fall into that category) wait for the HT one for $30 more.

Thanks for the review DD, and don't ever justify or defend why you purchase a line. Be loud, be proud!

btw I won't get either the DCD or HT Spirit. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll be able to keep all the existing orders I have now. I am getting three HT products this year as is, the biggest being the Tumbler. Ouch, that one is gonna hurt the ol' wallet when it comes out!

So you and I will be the only 2 crazy guys buying the DCD 13 Watchmen figures. :lol

Make it 3; I have every DCD 13"er so far, so I'll be getting them!
I was pretty disappointed by The Spirit; I ordered from DCBS last summer, and for some reason thought at that time it was going to be the classic "comic" version (this was before I'd seen any promotion for Miller's movie). I'd still like to get a comic version with the blue suit and white shirt, and a removable mask. I was surprised to find DCD's movie version sported a painted-on mask, especially given the price. With all the success they've had with removable masks in their comic-based line (Green Lantern, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Black Canary) it seemed like a given.

Up until a few months ago, the only "large" action figures that I owned were the DCD versions (comic supes and "Neal Adams" Bats). Now that I have a few Sideshow/Dragon/Hot Toys figures, I just can't look at them the same way. I actually canceled my DCD Rorschach pre-order from BBTS this morning, a figure I was really looking forward to when he was first announced.

I'll either hold out for a Hot Toys version, get a custom version from a board member, or go without.

DCD should seriously consider "outsourcing" their figures to Hot Toys.

I think their figures are fine, they just needed to be a true 1/6 scale. Making them 13" cost them sales.
But it isn't just the scale. To me, that isn't even a problem. The plastic quality feels incredibly cheap compared to the 12 inchers that I own, the wrist joints don't work all that well on either of my figures, the stupid "bendy" hands are useless and the paint chips off way to easily, the bodies just look "weird" (particularly on Superman), etc.

Plus, what is up with the crappy, stretchy suits? You can't put them in their stands without having their suits stretched and damaged like you might see happen to women's stockings. Still, I did like these before I knew that something much better existed, but I can't see myself buying another one at this point, unless it is an extremely good deal.

Tell but no show - that's wrong ;)
Thanks for the review Dave!

Here are a few quick shots I took. I haven't taken much time yet to pose him, so the pics are pretty generic:

DSCN1163.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

DSCN1165.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

One particular complaint I have: no socks! What's the deal, DCD ? Movie Joker didn't have socks either!

Only things that look worthwhile are the wrench and the manhole cover.

It's disappointing, for sure, especially given the price, although I got mine from DCBS (pre-order) for $64 (still expensive, but not so out of line in these times). I *really* wish we'd gotten a classic blue-suit Spirit from DCD instead, since the Hot Toys movie version will own this one.

He looks totally crappy, just like every other DC Direct figure. Lord, I could nitpick that thing to pieces. I wouldn't want it for free.

I have no idea how DCD can produce cheap ^^^^ like that, and have the nerve to charge what they do. Aside from packaging and accessories, that looks like a $20.00 Wal-Mart doll. At least with Hot Toys, you get what you pay for (though they can still be a little overpriced.)

Well, it's not that cheap really - tailoring is pretty good, the costume is authentic and detailed (except for no socks). But it's still not a good figure, but it's certainly well above a Hasbro doll.

He looks totally crappy, just like every other DC Direct figure.
Uhhh, no, they're not *ALL* crappy, that's just *YOUR* opinion. I'll admit the Spirit was a letdown, but the majority of DCD's comic-based superhero line are above-average IMO (Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Green Arrow, both Batmans in particular). Yeah, the cut joints are bad, the wrist articulation in particular is pathetic, but the sculpts and costuming is mostly excellent. I will admit that NONE of the movie-based figures have wowed me, so I have concerns about Watchmen.

Back