which vader should i get?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

arabian nazgul

hey guys, how are ya?

well i'm not the type of collector who would have more that one statue or bust of the same character, so i have to make a choice between 1 of the following 3 vaders. so i wanted to ask for your opinions first. plz try to give a reason y to choose the vader you like.

1-gentle giant vader <--i just think his legs are kinda short!!
2-sideshow vader<--- kinda expensive but big and great
3- the new kataboyaka vader<-- lovvve the pose, cheap.

what do u think?

After seeing the new pics of Vader from Fantacular, I think that the Sideshow version is the best. I'm sure that the many GG fans on this forum would disagree with me, but I think the SS is the one to get if you can afford it. I've got both the exclusive and the non-exclusive on order because I can't decide which one I want. I'm going to see the Mouse Droid in person and then decide if it is worth keeping the exclusive. I'll just sell the one I don't want on Ebay. I'm sure these will be going for big bucks at the time of release due to Ep. 3 hype.

The GG version does look excellent though, and I'm not getting it only because it's in a different scale than the SS version. I don't think you can go wrong with GG or SS.

I would stay away from the Koto, but that's just personal taste. They look too plastic and stylized for my taste. They really remind me of the Unleashed figures.

i agree with you in terms that the sideshow is the best in terms of likness and scale, but the problem is in the price, i also collect the unleashed, and 300 can get me almost half of the line.

but again the size of the sideshow version is great and gives vader the glory he has.

If price is an object than get the GG version for about $160 from a dealer or save up $300-$350 for the SS version. Your going to have quite a while to save up.

I don't know if we'll see this piece until 2006. In fact, I really hope that one of the 2 new LOTR steed pieces or Vader slips to 2006. Sauron, the 2 steeds, and Vader are all scheduled for the 4th quarter at the moment! That's a lot of money to pay at one time.

Sideshow Vader for sure. I am a fan now, since they corrected the helmet. This version is going to be INCREDIBLE! The 1/4 line does not dissapoint.

The GG one looks too short but I guess it's correct, since it is the Ep3 Vader. I do not like it at all. Save your money and buy the Sideshow version. You can still find it at some retail sites.

Koto kits are ok but the quality is lacking.

My own thoughts on this is I think Sideshow's Vader will be the one to have in your collection.

Sideshow Darth Vader.

I don't collect too much Star Wars pieces. Mostly, LOTR but the SS Darth Vader is joining my collection with open arms.

:rock

I have to check the new vader pix, but I hate to say it... Price vs What your getting ~the new kataboyaka vader

Rob the Sideshow Vader will be the one to get and be sought after in the future. If it were me I would find a way to get the 1/4 Vader cancel some other orders, sell blood whatever but this is the one your going to want.

I was asking myself the same question about 2 months ago.
But I went and bought myself a Attakus Vader. I was Wowed when I first saw it. It is far the best Vader out there. but If I were to choose one from those 3 choices, I'd get kataboyaka vader. Price is good and will still get a descent Vader. SS Vader need some work, so can't tell for now. If you have him on order, maybe good idea to keep it.
Good luck :dance

What is this Kataboyaka everyone keeps mentioning? :dunno
Is this a spelling mistake - the only company I can think of that sounds similar to this is Kotobukiya?

On the original question, i'm definitely going for the SS Vader. 1/4 scale, mixed media - he's gonna... :rock

Yeah, it's Kotobukiya they are talking about. I have some Koto pieces and don't feel you can put these in the same category as SS or GG. The one's I have I picked up for about 50% or more off retail and feel they are definitely worth that price but not full retail.

Of course that narrows it down then to SS or GG. Personally if you could swing it I would recommend SS first and foremost, but if the price is way out of reach GG should be a satisfactory substitute.

Tareq,

I would start with a Kotobukiya Vader since it's in-expensive. Personally, I love the Attakus Vader. The Sideshow Vader is up there on my list as well since I saw it at Toyfair. The Gentle Giant Vader should be a real nice piece considering they did a hell of a job on the Dewback and Chewbacca statue.

Mike
:ted

re

since it is the Ep3 Vader

That's just it, it's not Vader from Ep3, nor from a specific film.

This from GG's site:

The Circle Is Now Complete

Come May 2005, as Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith hits theaters; Darth Vader will be all anyone can talk about. Gentle Giant commemorates the release with a brand new 14-inch statue of the Dark Lord of the Sith. This statue finds itself as the third piece of our 1/6 scale statue line. In creating the ultimate villain, we at Gentle Giant went to great lengths to make this piece the quintessential Vader in everyone’s collection. The Darth Vader statue is not created from one specific movie in the Star Wars saga, rather it is inspired by every incarnation to form the archetype you see today. This statue was created using digital data from ILM, various scans of the costume, and reference photos taken from the Original Trilogy.

This is a nice article to digest:

www.thejawa.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=63&page=2

Re: re

Correct Lakehouse,

As of now, the best Vader out there are the Attakus versions, by far.

They are big and very accurate.

thx guys for the help, offcourse i agree that the attakus vader is by far the best but just 4get it it, thats why i sold my LOTR collection, i'm buyin a car, even the sideshow one is a bit pricy.

here is what i think,the kataboyak <--i like this name :lol
is by far (in my opinion) has the best vader pose ever, a real fighting pose, looks great. unlike their first one which looked like vader was falling. the problem is like someone here said, it looks like a toy, plastic.

the gentle giant, i can asure you it will look awsome, but i think his legs are shorter than what they should be so i need to see it in person first, i dont doubt the quality of gentle giant, their product are as good as weta products. (i have vader-yoda-bobba busts and they are amazing)

the side show one is in my top list but only if the price falls down a bit, i would like to get one for $275 or so, but nothing more than $300. i love the size, the pose is also smooth (i guess it's when he foght obi wan in a new hope?)

so the final decision should be made when they are released.
:speech

the side show one is in my top list but only if the price falls down a bit, i would like to get one for $275 or so, but nothing more than $300.

I would be absolutely shocked if you get the SS version for anything less than $300. I think these actually will go up rather than down once they are released. I could easily see them hitting $400-$500 by the time they come out.

Everyone is going to want one of these once the SS 1/4 line begins to hit stores. Add to that the fact that Vader is the one "Must Buy" from the line and also the fact that Ep. 3 revolves around Vader, and you're going to see some high prices for the SS version, IMO. It may even be difficult to get one for $300 right now, since these retail for $350. Stick with GG if you don't want to pay that price.

Back